Mxgp vs Ama race coverage!!

Shaned9326
Edited Date/Time 5/31/2016 12:09am
I still can't believe that for 100 dollars spent you can get entire weekends of insane racing in many classes without any commercials in the mxgp series and we are still forced to watch bits and pieces of live coverage of our elite riders in USA in between tons of commercials over and over with very little actual race coverage!! It's sad that we can't buy a package for our national series just like you can for other side of pond!! Not to mention the des nations is included as well for your package!! I do realiz we can stream on pro motocross .com but to me would just be nice to have it all commercial free and have better coverage!! Peace out
|
burnside
5/30/2016 6:25am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2016 6:26am
Its a toss up. The TV coverage of the GPs is boring, the Nationals coverage is great but the volume of adverts are insulting. But hey, thats American TV for ya eh? You guys get twice as many ad breaks per hour as we do here in the UK.
5/30/2016 6:42am
Last weekend i was happy to get to see all usa motos live that was sweet. Sadly i agree that the ammount of commercials was a bit on the extreme end...
Prntscrn
5/30/2016 6:51am
Can't they just have two longer commercials before and after the races instead of a couple during the race? Cause it's annoying as fuck
5/30/2016 7:04am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2016 7:09am
Prntscrn wrote:
Can't they just have two longer commercials before and after the races instead of a couple during the race? Cause it's annoying as fuck
As a viewer Im with you on that one, but if I were shopping for air time to pitch my business it would be a nobrainer.
Witch ad do you think gets the most views, the one outside of the action everybody uses to go take a piss or the one smack in the middle that has everybody on their feet yelling at the screen to show the racing?
MX isnt a big enough sport to pull big money on the lesser favoured ad spots

The Shop

RMZ#
5/30/2016 7:06am
Shaned9326 wrote:
I still can't believe that for 100 dollars spent you can get entire weekends of insane racing in many classes without any commercials in the mxgp...
I still can't believe that for 100 dollars spent you can get entire weekends of insane racing in many classes without any commercials in the mxgp series and we are still forced to watch bits and pieces of live coverage of our elite riders in USA in between tons of commercials over and over with very little actual race coverage!! It's sad that we can't buy a package for our national series just like you can for other side of pond!! Not to mention the des nations is included as well for your package!! I do realiz we can stream on pro motocross .com but to me would just be nice to have it all commercial free and have better coverage!! Peace out
It will never get better than it is right now. It is fine. Be thankfull!!! Also, When have you watched anything without a Commercial on TV?

As far as the coverage goes, Weege was better this week than last. He was pushing a bit hard on the Hangtown broadcast trying to rename Alex Martin. Langston tried to jump on that horse for a bit but you could tell it was not natural so he got back off it. Thank You Grant Langston!!

RG1
5/30/2016 7:07am
The coverage of the Nationals is free so I always feel bad for moaning about it, but the sheer amount of adverts at times is ridiculous. There was one occasion at GH in the second 250 Moto where we saw literally half a lap between commercials.
5/30/2016 7:28am
Shaned9326 wrote:
I still can't believe that for 100 dollars spent you can get entire weekends of insane racing in many classes without any commercials in the mxgp...
Plus the archives going back for years are part of the MXGP package
rutsmash
5/30/2016 8:09am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2016 8:18am
burnside wrote:
Its a toss up. The TV coverage of the GPs is boring, the Nationals coverage is great but the volume of adverts are insulting. But hey...
Its a toss up. The TV coverage of the GPs is boring, the Nationals coverage is great but the volume of adverts are insulting. But hey, thats American TV for ya eh? You guys get twice as many ad breaks per hour as we do here in the UK.
I disagree. The GP coverage is better, at least as of late. The announcer is on top of the action and narrates as such to the viewers. I don't know what Weigandt and Langston are doing but that's like twice now they don't even mention when one of the guys running near the front disappears even when you catch a glimpse of it on tv. As a viewer, you're like.."tell me what just happened or did I see what I think I saw.." Langston finally noticed something like 20 minutes later that Jeremy Martin was no longer running in second or third. The week before, Alex Martin took out Jordan Smith who was running near the front and they didn't even notice or say anything! I'm like, "what happened to Smith? Why are not mentioning it?" I feel like Malin is just on top of all of it. He will bring up who had the fastest sector or who just put in the fastest lap and does it as its happening. Weigandt is as good as this but for some reason he just doesn't seem to be doing this now. Maybe they are tailoring their broadcast for general public whereas Malin is talking to the riders in the audience. I would pay for this kind of coverage in the US.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
5/30/2016 8:20am
Lately I haven't even watched the nationals because you literaly watch more ads than racing. Ain't nobody got time for that.
If you watch the race archieves later, they include the parts that are cut out of the live coverage due to the ad breaks.
Sucks because I love watching the races and the live timing next to it, but then again the live stream is usually like half a lap delayed from the live timing and you already know what will happen next.
kkawboy14
5/30/2016 8:50am
burnside wrote:
Its a toss up. The TV coverage of the GPs is boring, the Nationals coverage is great but the volume of adverts are insulting. But hey...
Man agree on the boring mxgp, I watched it this morning and fast forwarded thru most of it.

I just fast forward thru the commercials when watching the US moto

I'm wondering when companies are going to start cutting down on tv advertising realizing most people don't watch them
Flatliner
5/30/2016 9:00am
I really enjoy the Canadian national coverage. It's not live, but at least you get to see the racing, with no more commercials than a standard tv show.
5/30/2016 9:12am
burnside wrote:
rutsmash wrote:
I disagree. The GP coverage is better, at least as of late. The announcer is on top of the action and narrates as such to the...
I disagree. The GP coverage is better, at least as of late. The announcer is on top of the action and narrates as such to the viewers. I don't know what Weigandt and Langston are doing but that's like twice now they don't even mention when one of the guys running near the front disappears even when you catch a glimpse of it on tv. As a viewer, you're like.."tell me what just happened or did I see what I think I saw.." Langston finally noticed something like 20 minutes later that Jeremy Martin was no longer running in second or third. The week before, Alex Martin took out Jordan Smith who was running near the front and they didn't even notice or say anything! I'm like, "what happened to Smith? Why are not mentioning it?" I feel like Malin is just on top of all of it. He will bring up who had the fastest sector or who just put in the fastest lap and does it as its happening. Weigandt is as good as this but for some reason he just doesn't seem to be doing this now. Maybe they are tailoring their broadcast for general public whereas Malin is talking to the riders in the audience. I would pay for this kind of coverage in the US.
I agree 100%. Malin picks up on stuff that only someone who rides would. When a rider tries a different line or when a rider/riders fall of the timing screen, Malin will point it out. What I like about Malin too, is he talks about stuff that only someone who rides or has ridden before would know. As it's a subscription package, it certainly leans towards the hardcore viewer which I prefer.

When Weigandt & Langston missed the Martain/Smith incident, I was thinking to myself, are they even watching the action as they were rambling on?
burnside
5/30/2016 9:19am
rutsmash wrote:
I disagree. The GP coverage is better, at least as of late. The announcer is on top of the action and narrates as such to the...
Thats cool, everyone has their preferences.

To me, Malin is great, but DESPERATETLY needs a Weigant or a Ralph in the booth. He's a colour analyst without the main commentator to hold the show together. Sometimes I think he's forced to talk out of his ass just because theres no one to fill the silences or to bounce off of. The awkward silences at times are so cringeworthy.

Emig couldn't man a show on his own, neither could Langston and neither can Malin, in my opinion.
Motofinne
5/30/2016 9:22am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2016 9:26am
rutsmash wrote:
burnside wrote:
Thats cool, everyone has their preferences. To me, Malin is great, but DESPERATETLY needs a Weigant or a Ralph in the booth. He's a colour analyst...
Thats cool, everyone has their preferences.

To me, Malin is great, but DESPERATETLY needs a Weigant or a Ralph in the booth. He's a colour analyst without the main commentator to hold the show together. Sometimes I think he's forced to talk out of his ass just because theres no one to fill the silences or to bounce off of. The awkward silences at times are so cringeworthy.

Emig couldn't man a show on his own, neither could Langston and neither can Malin, in my opinion.
Emig will be in the booth with Malin at Matterly Basin. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

The production value used to be way off the Nationals standard but i think it has been just as good as the first 2 Nationals rounds if not even better. At least the company that produces the GPs are learning and getting better!

I would think that the Nationals would be just as "slow paced" if Weege/Grant would have to talk through all the motos without commercials. And don't forget that Malin has to commentate the EMX125, EMX150, EMX250 and EMX300 classes also. That is A LOT of talking.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
5/30/2016 9:38am
I would assume that what NBC pays for the rights to broadcast the second motos live is more than what they would collect in subscriptions.

But even if it was a wash, would it be better for the sport to be on a network that millions of people have the potential to see or to be restricted to an Internet stream that caters towards the hardcore audience? Or maybe they could do something similar to how the MXGP races are shown here with a tape delayed abbreviated broadcast on a smaller sports network with a subscription live stream option? I'm not sure what the answers are to those questions.

Personally, I find the MXGP broadcast a little boring. I only watch a few MXGP motos a year so I'm far from an expert on what they do every week but I find the AMA coverage more entertaining. I rarely watch all the AMA motos each season too though. It's all subjective though of course. I haven't watched the Canadian races in a while but that use to be and maybe still is great and exciting racing to watch! Different strokes for different folks.

I don't understand all the hate for the sponsors. One guy posted on RX comments that he would never buy anything from Kawasaki or Geico because they have to see all those commercials. Cool, run off the companies that are putting their marketing dollars into our sport. What a great idea. I'd rather support the people that support what I like and enjoy.
5/30/2016 2:48pm
so a race from 30 + 2 laps gets a 15 min coverage if youre lucky ... if not just 10 min ... you call it great coverage ?

racing is good , too good to only see just 10 min live of any moto ... really sucks
PressPassP
5/30/2016 3:29pm
burnside wrote:
rutsmash wrote:
I agree 100%. Malin picks up on stuff that only someone who rides would. When a rider tries a different line or when a rider/riders fall...
I agree 100%. Malin picks up on stuff that only someone who rides would. When a rider tries a different line or when a rider/riders fall of the timing screen, Malin will point it out. What I like about Malin too, is he talks about stuff that only someone who rides or has ridden before would know. As it's a subscription package, it certainly leans towards the hardcore viewer which I prefer.

When Weigandt & Langston missed the Martain/Smith incident, I was thinking to myself, are they even watching the action as they were rambling on?
I agree woth rutsmash and Muscle-Milk about Malins commentary and the broadcast,as a genuine MX fan I'd much rather the chance of a virtually full Moto,there's never tight action for 30+2 anywhere but Malin keeps an update of what's happening,and if not then the ticker along the bottom offers some live timing,my own post quoted from another thread:

"Flicking through the 4 MXGP races again after watching them-not one advert
5 full minutes of Gaijser hounding Nagl for the lead (plus replays of the pass)
And a whole race of Desalle,Paulin,Cairoli,Bobryshev,Van Horbeek and Febvre going at it,10 seconds between them all moto,awesome,best race of the whole weekend imo

I'm sure there's a lot of people who'd pay to watch non stop broadcast of the AMA series given the choice"

Although I agree with Burnside that the presentation is better for the AMA,it's more liveley and upbeat,the 2 commentators are also.It may not appear thay way if they were to show 40 minutes of continuous broadcast though.The bike noise is louder which makes a suprising difference,try watching either race witht he volume down
kkawboy14
5/30/2016 3:47pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2016 3:47pm
burnside wrote:
rutsmash wrote:
I agree 100%. Malin picks up on stuff that only someone who rides would. When a rider tries a different line or when a rider/riders fall...

Without Malin, it would be a total snooze fest!
Jimmy_Sloan
5/30/2016 3:50pm
I like watching the best in the world, so even with commercials, I prefer watching the U.S. series. Tongue
5/30/2016 3:51pm
The adverts are understandable of course (and as above I also feel bad about moaning given that it's free) but why oh why do they insist on interrupting the racing further with these various pre-recorded features, such as rider interviews?
Lucifa.
5/30/2016 3:54pm
I disagree. AMA coverage is better.

I can get all 4 MX motos advert FREE and LIVE here in NZ with SKY TV in HD. As well as all SX and Monster Energy Cup races.

I can't get any GP coverage.......
5/30/2016 4:01pm

Agreed, big fan of Malin here too, though I am surprised we haven't seen Adam Wheeler join him in the box so far this yr as they usually work very well together. I'm not a huge fan of Grant either but I'm gradually getting used to him this year - I thought he did some good bits at the end of the 2nd 450 moto regarding the psychology of the top riders.
5/30/2016 4:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2016 4:53pm
Can't sit through it,it's painful,you're sat watching damn live timing mostly,Kenny's cleaning up like Dungey was anyway,the 450's are a snoozer
The 250's are far more interesting but the whole show is all blow and bluster,stuff the talk,trackmap,features etc and show more Moto-live timing showed plenty of passing but the TV didn't
5/31/2016 12:05am
I've watched SX/MX for 14 years and I tuned into MXGP last year because of RV, this year it's become very apparent which I prefer as soon as the AMA nationals started.

I prefer MXGP by far.

What I dislike about AMA coverage, the adverts the interviews of 450 riders during a 250 race and most of all the commentary is bad.

Langstons man love Roczen is annoying I mean love kenny but Langston goes on about him as if that's all he's interested in.

It took them like 3 laps for them to realise that Forkner was in top 5.

They just ramble about useless shit and hype and over exaggerate things all race.

Malin generally calls it how it is yes he may get some names mixed up and may show slight bias to GB and aussie riders however it's not horrible, but apart from that he's pretty on point in fact he makes me learn about some lines he points out.

The most I liked ability Malin this year is it took him a few races to give Gasjer the nod approval that he's the real deal where as in the US it would be hype city.

I also like how all the interviews are pre and post race that's it.
5/31/2016 12:09am
I like watching the best in the world, so even with commercials, I prefer watching the U.S. series. Tongue
So you have never watched MXGP.

Post a reply to: Mxgp vs Ama race coverage!!

The Latest