MxGp SuperFinal Pos & Neg ?

wow123
Edited Date/Time 3/13/2013 3:35pm
so 2 rds of the mxgp superfinal

anyone want to have discussion on its merits and issues?

A big issue I see is a 250 rider has a big problem with a slower rider on a 450 who is in front of him,
and this spreads the 250 field in an un-natural way.

imo and ime say the slower 450 rider holds the fastest line in a corner and then out drags the 250 to the next corner,
then the 250 rider has to slow down entering the corner more than he normally would, even though the 250 rider would normally pull away from the slower 450 guy if her were in front, essentially holding up the 250 rider.

now if this slower 450 rider was splitting up 2 similar pace 250 riders the guy in front has a great advantage.

i'm really hoping to read some positives.
|
Jefro98
3/12/2013 5:45am
imo and ime say the slower 450 rider holds the fastest line in a corner and then out drags the 250 to the next corner, then the 250 rider has to slow down entering the corner more than he normally would, even though the 250 rider would normally pull away from the slower 450 guy if her were in front, essentially holding up the 250 rider.

This might suck for the MX2 rider but for the spectator a cool race is going on.

Just saying....
Whistling
KlootZak
3/12/2013 6:40am
I don't mind it this year because the racing in MX2 is as dull as you can get. But if the MX2 starts to get interesting then I wouldn't want a superfinal because it ruins the MX2 race ...
3/12/2013 7:26am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 7:31am
the negative IS, the super final has no points for each respected championship so its just a pointless chance to get injured and wreck your chances of winning YOUR real class.

I think it is just a money spinner by Youthstream. Like the night races wtf. Thank god the superfinal is no more. We have the same shit go on in the British Championship
jamma10
3/12/2013 7:34am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 7:38am
the negative IS, the super final has no points for each respected championship so its just a pointless chance to get injured and wreck your chances...
the negative IS, the super final has no points for each respected championship so its just a pointless chance to get injured and wreck your chances of winning YOUR real class.

I think it is just a money spinner by Youthstream. Like the night races wtf. Thank god the superfinal is no more. We have the same shit go on in the British Championship
Its not a money spinner, its a patch up job. Fewer riders can afford to travel to the overseas events and YS are trying to use the Superfinal to conceal this fact.

If they hadn't dropped open qualifying and therefore limited rider entry there would be plenty of riders on track, likewise if YS were a bit more sympathetic with regards to the high costs incurred by the riders and teams more riders would travel.

The night race is fine by me. I think it adds a little something extra to the series, even if it is only a novelty event.

The Shop

Jefro98
3/12/2013 7:34am
the negative IS, the super final has no points for each respected championship so its just a pointless chance to get injured and wreck your chances...

What do you mean no points?
Each class is racing for points, it's two second motos combined into one race.
3/12/2013 7:54am
ok i got the points bit wrong, but lets say 2 riders are tied for points in the 250 class, and a bunch of 450's finish between them, this could affect things? or do they not work it like that.

no matter where you finish IN the mixed race, you still get the usual points for your class? weather you were 2nd or 20th..
Jefro98
3/12/2013 8:00am
ok i got the points bit wrong, but lets say 2 riders are tied for points in the 250 class, and a bunch of 450's finish...
ok i got the points bit wrong, but lets say 2 riders are tied for points in the 250 class, and a bunch of 450's finish between them, this could affect things? or do they not work it like that.

no matter where you finish IN the mixed race, you still get the usual points for your class? weather you were 2nd or 20th..
Nope, doesn't matter.
Each class is ranked accordingly.

Herlings is at 100 point right now.
4 wins in MX2 altho he came 7th and 4th in the superfinals.
3/12/2013 8:02am
oh my mistake.

i was at hawkstone last year and a load of guys were moaning about it, they had obviously got it wrong too lol.
jamma10
3/12/2013 8:03am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 8:06am
ok i got the points bit wrong, but lets say 2 riders are tied for points in the 250 class, and a bunch of 450's finish...

Exactly. Which is good.... but not so much for the purpose of a combined event which is supposed to promote exciting racing.

If you're leading the MX2 class, but only 6th in the combined race, you're unlikely to try and pass your way further up the field because there is no real incentive. Its bragging rights only... and that only stands for so much when you''re hot, getting blasted with roost and faced with unnecessary risk.
Robgvx
3/12/2013 8:05am

If you're first 250, even if you're 7th in the combined race, you get first place points.

If you're second 250 (even if you're 13th in the race) you get second place points in the 250 class.

However you get no more points or money for overtaking those different capacity bikes so what's the point in doing so? That's why Herlings cruised on the last lap in Thailand.

And how is it conducive to close racing when your MX2 rival, who is one place in front of you in your class, actually has several other bikes in-between you and him?

I could go on, but there's probably a word limit on these posts...
Jefro98
3/12/2013 8:18am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 8:22am

Robgvx wrote:
If you're first 250, even if you're 7th in the combined race, you get first place points. If you're second 250 (even if you're 13th in...
If you're first 250, even if you're 7th in the combined race, you get first place points.

If you're second 250 (even if you're 13th in the race) you get second place points in the 250 class.

However you get no more points or money for overtaking those different capacity bikes so what's the point in doing so? That's why Herlings cruised on the last lap in Thailand.

And how is it conducive to close racing when your MX2 rival, who is one place in front of you in your class, actually has several other bikes in-between you and him?

You guys are looking at this from the racers point of view and I totally get that.

For the spectator it's different.
Herlings down in turn one and going trough the pack to get to first in his class means he is battling a lot of MX1 riders too.
Sucks for Herlings but very cool to watch.
Remember Lommel?
When the MX2 rider is leading then ofcourse it makes no sense to overtake a MX1 rider, but when he's in whatever other position he might need to overtake a MX1 rider to get to the MX2 rider.
Once again, that sucks for the MX2 riders but gives better racing for the spectator.
Robgvx
3/12/2013 8:21am
This was Mr Luongo's explanation of why the classes were combined:

(Just to be clear, it absolutely, definitely wasn't in any way to do with the fact that they don't have enough riders. OK?)

GL "The most important advantage for the public and for TV viewers: the new format is easily understandable for everybody, especially for the young and new fans, and big TV broadcasters who are not particularly specialized in Motocross."

"Easily understandable" he said....

Now his story is that "TV only want an hour long programme"

He also said in November that "the number of riders and teams in each class has grown over the last few years and currently the permanent entries for the 2013 MX1 and MX2 Motocross World Championships are full."

Full. Well done. I'm looking forward to seeing 40 riders all year.
jamma10
3/12/2013 8:21am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 8:22am
Trouble is, its ONLY really Herlings who is capable of shaking things up and he excels in sand... none of the fly aways are sand.
kongols
3/12/2013 8:23am
They still have 4 hours of TV time but now instead of good MX2 race you get bullshit LCQ with couple of MX1 riders and few MX2 riders.
3/12/2013 8:24am
Robgvx wrote:
This was Mr Luongo's explanation of why the classes were combined: (Just to be clear, it absolutely, definitely wasn't in any way to do with the...

(Just to be clear, it absolutely, definitely wasn't in any way to do with the fact that they don't have enough riders. OK?)

GL "The most important advantage for the public and for TV viewers: the new format is easily understandable for everybody, especially for the young and new fans, and big TV broadcasters who are not particularly specialized in Motocross."

He also said in November that "the number of riders and teams in each class has grown over the last few years and currently the permanent entries for the 2013 MX1 and MX2 Motocross World Championships are full."

ill believe that when i see it. (40 riders)
Jefro98
3/12/2013 8:30am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 8:30am
Robgvx wrote:
This was Mr Luongo's explanation of why the classes were combined: (Just to be clear, it absolutely, definitely wasn't in any way to do with the...

The days of 40 riders are long gone Rob and you know it.
It's been 30 riders for a while now.

And really don't get why it's so hard to understand.
TV stations want to see all the good riders in one race and one podium.
Average Joe doesn't give a fuck what bike Herlings or Cairoli is on?
MotoGP had two classes riding in one race last year too and hardly anybody knew about it.
LOL.
ayearinmx
3/12/2013 8:33am
as someone who's seen them live, they are definitely a lot better in person..... eg. the battle between tixier, coldenhoff, butron and nicholls in qatar down around 20th place was immense, i honestly was watching battles the entire length of the field

but i've obviously heard that it wasn't shown on tv... which is a shame

the best thing they could do would be to have a superfinal at valkenswaard (but they aren't going to i asked), that way people could actually see how they are in person, rather than judging from a tv picture.... but those are the cards that have been dealt and no one here can affect it

the decision will be made it june to see if they run every race in 2014 with a superfinal... guess we'll see what the teams and everyone with power really thinks then
Coly243
Fantasy
342nd
3/12/2013 8:45am
Jefro98 wrote:
The days of 40 riders are long gone Rob and you know it. It's been 30 riders for a while now. And really don't get why...

MotoGP had two classes riding in one race last year too and hardly anybody knew about it.
LOL.
But in motoGP you don't get some of the fastest guys n the world being stuck on CRT bikes. eg: Jorge or Pedrosa
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
3/12/2013 8:48am
The positive is that Herlings is with the big guys.

The other positive is that a race with 40 fastest guys is better than a race with 20 fastest guys or 20 fast guys and 20 dangerously slow guys. If they can't get 40 fast guys for each class, then maybe it's better.

But that may mask a larger problem without providing a lasting solution. I think there will be long term negative consequences economically for the 250 guys if they go with the super final permanently, especially if it becomes the the principal presentation for TV. And, after all, we're being told it's necessary and done for TV to create a platform for growth, so whether it's better live may be beside the point. So, to me, there's a risk that the issue of losing qualified riders to make full gates just gets pushed along.

The Thai race certainly came off better to watch than the Qatar race, IMO, but I was pretty excited about it and it's been a bit of a let down.

It honestly feels like the best thing that could happen for the series this year would be to get Herlings out of MX2 and into MX1, and then both classes would be a little more compelling, but I understand that's not going to happen.
Alex
3/12/2013 10:00am
I cant think of another overseas GP going back that had as many European entrants as Quatar did. 20 years ago you'd be lucky to get 18 or 19 in a 250GP and maybe less in a 125cc race. Qatar had just short of 60 European entrants so low turnout isnt the driving force behind this.

Granted The 108% rule means there will no longer be roadblocks out there like back in the day so that has the consequence of ensuring a smaller gate than there otherwise would be, but rather that than dangerous riders like we used to see. Jeffros got it pure and simple, this is about chasing TV with a shorter package. Having seen this attempted solution in practice now Im pretty sure its not the answer.
jamma10
3/12/2013 10:28am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 10:33am
It didn't matter that there were only 18 19 European entrants at an overseas GP 20 years ago because the rest of the gate was full.

Open qualifying up again and there would be nonstop action to watch in every class (though not necessarily in Qatar). Youthstream have cut off their nose to spite their face in that regard.

I think a Combined race is a bad representation for an hours TV slot no matter what. A highlights package would be better.
Alex
3/12/2013 11:15am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 11:18am
jamma10 - "It didn't matter that there were only 18 19 European entrants at an overseas GP 20 years ago because the rest of the gate was full. "

A full gate is no good if half the riders are not up to GP standard tho surely. How many Indonesians do you think would have been within 108% of Tortellis time in the 96 Indonesian GP. 39 riders turned up so they were all guaranteed a place. Remember the story of that guy in the 80s (think it was in Argentina) who rode his bike to the track then raced the GP! lets both agree we can do without that. Prizemoney, travel indemnity and qualification were all in place back then and it didnt solve any of the problems then, those measure can only be less effective at tackling the problem now given the costs associated with racing are increasing exponetially ( it sure seems like it at any rate) Either way you slice it theres a problem with overseas GPs. Oh and I have no idea what the answer is either.....

I think you might be onto something with the highlight package tho. that way you keep all four races for the hardcore motors TV crew MX-life etc, but have something condensed, polished and edited for your asian markets or whatever the fuck is currently being chased....
Robgvx
3/12/2013 11:40am
Jefro98 wrote:
The days of 40 riders are long gone Rob and you know it. It's been 30 riders for a while now. And really don't get why...

LOL.
Hi Jeff

Why is it hard to understand?

1. Why are there 40 gates? (and every other outdoor series in the world has 40 riders)

2. Why do 2013 FIM rules state 'maximum of 40 riders'? http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/alfresco/2013_MXWC_WMX_VMX_6520001_en…

3. If 30 is YS's aim why were there 40 MX1 riders at Valkenswaard last year? (But only 25 in Teutschenthal?)

4. Why do they always have more MX2 riders?

5. Why is such a big deal being made by the YS propaganda puppets of how exciting it is to see 40 in the superfinal?

It doesn't sound at all to me like reduced numbers of GP riders is part of the YS master plan. More like they can't get enough riders, for the reasons we all know, then make an excuse to fit.
MXMattii
3/12/2013 12:33pm
Robgvx wrote:

I follow Motocross since I've been a baby! Its never been so hard to follow a race!

1. Live scoring on screen is inaccurate with sometimes 4x a rider in it!
2. Live scoring on screen doesn't show a difference between MX2 and MX1 (Only Hardcore fans can figure that out.)
3. The TV broadcasting is on the worst level since AGES! I only watched 1heat from Thailand, the other ones could go the hell because I was so mad!
4. They are talking about a 1 hour program that is good for everybody. But MX isn't on television anymore! ITS ONLY ON PAY TELEVISION, MOSTLY MOTOR THEME PAY TELEVISION!! So they LIKE to watch 4 hours of broadcasting!!
5. Riders are complaining about it on twitter, on national TV. Joel Smets, Kevin Strijbos, Jake Nicholls, Clément Desalle, Glenn Coldenhof, ... They aren't happy with the things at the moment! Why? It is unsafe!

Bye the way how does my friend Luongo explain this to his young and new fans??
1. Explain young and new fans that Clément Desalle won the Grand Prix but got the trophy for second place.
2. Explain young and new fans why Cairoli is riding with 222 when he is last years number 1?!
3. Explain why they where racing in Qatar with only 500 people near the track!
4. Explain why only a few days ago we got the real race schedule for 2013!! The season and budgets are already made!
Jefro98
3/12/2013 12:38pm
Robgvx wrote:
Hi Jeff Why is it hard to understand? 1. Why are there 40 gates? (and every other outdoor series in the world has 40 riders) 2...
Hi Jeff

Why is it hard to understand?

1. Why are there 40 gates? (and every other outdoor series in the world has 40 riders)

2. Why do 2013 FIM rules state 'maximum of 40 riders'? http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/alfresco/2013_MXWC_WMX_VMX_6520001_en…

3. If 30 is YS's aim why were there 40 MX1 riders at Valkenswaard last year? (But only 25 in Teutschenthal?)

4. Why do they always have more MX2 riders?

5. Why is such a big deal being made by the YS propaganda puppets of how exciting it is to see 40 in the superfinal?

It doesn't sound at all to me like reduced numbers of GP riders is part of the YS master plan. More like they can't get enough riders, for the reasons we all know, then make an excuse to fit.
Amount of riders is a different debate which I was not really revering to when I asked why it is so hard to understand Rob.
But O.K, I'll play along.

MotoGP has trouble getting 20 riders on the grid and is successful anyway.
It's not the amount of riders, it's who the riders are.
15 big names and 15 a bit less names get more crowd then 5 big names with 5 bit less names and 30 racers nobody really know........
MXMattii
3/12/2013 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 1:01pm
Jefro98 wrote:
Amount of riders is a different debate which I was not really revering to when I asked why it is so hard to understand Rob. But...
Amount of riders is a different debate which I was not really revering to when I asked why it is so hard to understand Rob.
But O.K, I'll play along.

MotoGP has trouble getting 20 riders on the grid and is successful anyway.
It's not the amount of riders, it's who the riders are.
15 big names and 15 a bit less names get more crowd then 5 big names with 5 bit less names and 30 racers nobody really know........
Not really the ratings from MotoGP are in free fall the last three, four years. The sport got a hit in countries like Spain, Italy... Countries with allot of unemployed people who are cutting on everything If you like I can send you a few ratings.

PS: Maybe a signal that people also wanna see a full starting grid? In MX a full starting gate and not MX1 and MX2 together.
St Ann More
3/12/2013 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 1:17pm
Robgvx wrote:
If you're first 250, even if you're 7th in the combined race, you get first place points. If you're second 250 (even if you're 13th in...

Did Herlings cruise on the last lap Rob? If so, clearly Cairoli, Paulin, Searle, Roellants, Frossard, De Dycker, Bobby, Guarneri, Phillapaerts... and all but one of the MX2 riders were also 'cruising' because his last lap, was faster than all of those guys! Wink
Robgvx
3/12/2013 1:23pm
Robgvx wrote:

Did Herlings cruise on the last lap Rob? If so, clearly Cairoli, Paulin, Searle, Roellants, Frossard, De Dycker, Bobby, Guarneri, Phillapaerts... and all but one of...
Did Herlings cruise on the last lap Rob? If so, clearly Cairoli, Paulin, Searle, Roellants, Frossard, De Dycker, Bobby, Guarneri, Phillapaerts... and all but one of the MX2 riders were also 'cruising' because his last lap, was faster than all of those guys! Wink

3m 28s

4m 50s
philG
3/12/2013 1:38pm
its two seperate races happening at the same time on the same track .........totally pointless saying that there are battles between MX1 and MX2 because there simply isnt , what there is is one guy trying to get past a guy that is in the way , but not in his race , and stopping him getting to the guy that is .... add to that the fact that MX2 guys cant clear all the stuff MX1 guys can , and its a recipe for disaster.

Like running a combined Sprint Cup / Nationwide Nascar race, its a dumb idea at anywhere other than the Des Nations , simply because the points dont matter. MX2 will be dead in a year if it goes like this full time .
St Ann More
3/12/2013 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2013 1:48pm
Robgvx wrote:

Did Herlings cruise on the last lap Rob? If so, clearly Cairoli, Paulin, Searle, Roellants, Frossard, De Dycker, Bobby, Guarneri, Phillapaerts... and all but one of...
Robgvx wrote:

3m 28s

4m 50s
3m 28s wasn't the last lap Rob, it was the two laps to go.

4m 50s - cruising on the last lap but faster than his previous two laps and faster than over 80% of everyone elses?

Post a reply to: MxGp SuperFinal Pos & Neg ?

The Latest