Mx track tractor implements

Edited Date/Time 3/27/2021 7:35am
Moving in a week to a home with alot more land so we are planning on building a small mx track on roughly 5-6 acres. Will be using a Kubota L3901 to do the work. Will rent other equipment as needed but that will be my primary pc. Waa originally thinking on just getting a 72" tiller but doing alittle research it seems that something like the arena actor 3 was what more people were using.

Moving into southern york county in PA so it will be rocky.

Any other opinions on what would be best for a tractor that size to go out and rip and maintain a small track.
|
kb228
10/20/2019 6:45am
the cultivator you have shown will work good. You want to rip with a cultivator and then follow up with a harrow of some sorts to break up the big chunks. This is the advise i was given from a farmer to get fine dirt.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
10/20/2019 7:13am
That is a small machine. Just be sure you dont buy anything that will be to much for the tractor to handle. Have fun man.
Freedom Mx
10/20/2019 7:18am
Moving in a week to a home with alot more land so we are planning on building a small mx track on roughly 5-6 acres. Will...
Moving in a week to a home with alot more land so we are planning on building a small mx track on roughly 5-6 acres. Will be using a Kubota L3901 to do the work. Will rent other equipment as needed but that will be my primary pc. Waa originally thinking on just getting a 72" tiller but doing alittle research it seems that something like the arena actor 3 was what more people were using.

Any other opinions on what would be best for a tractor that size to go out and rip and maintain a small track.
What type of dirt do you have ? Sandy, hard pack, clay base ? makes all the difference in what type will work best. Do you have a way to water also ?
10/20/2019 7:37am
Hard pack dirt. Most of the tracks around here rip extremely deep so it ruts up good. There may be some clay but not much. There is a small creek at the side of the property as well as a spring right in the center of the property that feeds down to the creek.

We are getting rid of our current kubota bx2680 for the l3901. Didnt want to go any bigger as I still need to be able to finish mow the balance of the property and not be so heavy I am leaving tracks in the yard.

The Shop

yak651
Fantasy
192nd
10/20/2019 7:39am
You said rocky, so tiller not the best option as the rocks will beat up the tiller. Something like that will work, but not sure how much HP your tractor has or how wide that is. Those front teeth when sent down will take some HP to pull if not in sandy ground (and also weight of tractor, small tractors often run out of traction before HP).
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
10/20/2019 7:50am
i'd suggest staking out the layout you want and renting a small dozer (cat D3) and plowing/ripping in the track with it, then using something similar to what you posted for maintenance.
hillbilly
10/20/2019 8:07am
It would have just the front 4 chisel here after the hard ground rips those spring chisel off

A big box blade with extra chisel stuffed in and a dead Chevy sb on it for weight is what I used
MX76er
10/20/2019 8:23am
soggy wrote:
i'd suggest staking out the layout you want and renting a small dozer (cat D3) and plowing/ripping in the track with it, then using something similar...
i'd suggest staking out the layout you want and renting a small dozer (cat D3) and plowing/ripping in the track with it, then using something similar to what you posted for maintenance.
Not a bad idea to grunt a rental and then put in the finesse work with own equipment. Save your own gear from the hardest work if it makes financial sense. Any kind of solid plow to soften up top foot of dirt and then till afterwards to desired spec. Enjoy learning and riding your land!
SEEMEFIRST
10/20/2019 8:28am
That arena machine looks like it would be good for already established soil and maintaining it.

That may struggle starting from scratch.
Hammer 663s
10/20/2019 8:40am
I use a 4" Jake Rake to rip then a 60" tiller after that. https://www.jakesimplements.com/

Agree that if you are starting from scratch rent a dozer with rippers and rip it deep with that first, then Jake Rake and Till it later.

Find sand/sawdust/woodchips to till in. That really makes for nice loam.

Of course, most of this work needs to be done on moist soil.

OldYZRider1
10/20/2019 8:56am
With a smaller tractor like that you won’t be able to till very deep. What happens is you don’t have a very deep bed of nice loose soil above the bottom of the furrow that those leading plow tines create. So when you ride the track your tires will find those furrows and it can affect how the bike steers and moves by deflecting the front tire as it jumps in and out of those furrows. If you can rip deep and get enough loose dirt above the base furrow it can help that situation. For a few years i used a Oliver 77 35 HP tractor with an old cultimulcher that my elderly farmer neighbor gave me to work my track. I think the rig your looking at would be pretty comparable to what I was working with.

I reworked that thing by adding more tines and weight but was never completely happy with the results. The track would look great; nice and evenly groomed but never would rut up very well cause it just wasn’t ripped deep enough. Of course the dirt on my track is mostly of a clay material so its difficult to groom out with just about anything. I started using a 100HP tractor with an old chisel plow that I could sink almost full depth with to try a create a deeper bed of loose soil. But since much of my track is on a hillside, tilling deep can bite you with erosion issues.

I was probably on a tractor building or working the track more than I was on my bike riding it. But hey thats just a consequence of having the MX addiction.
JustMX
10/20/2019 12:51pm
2 things

If you ever use it on dirt that is a little too wet, you will be spending an hour chipping the mud out of the rear roller

And when you go to pick it up, go ahead and get a complete replacement set of the spring plows. They are not designed to be used while turning so they will break with some frequency.
Freedom Mx
10/21/2019 8:19am
Hard pack dirt. Most of the tracks around here rip extremely deep so it ruts up good. There may be some clay but not much. There...
Hard pack dirt. Most of the tracks around here rip extremely deep so it ruts up good. There may be some clay but not much. There is a small creek at the side of the property as well as a spring right in the center of the property that feeds down to the creek.

We are getting rid of our current kubota bx2680 for the l3901. Didnt want to go any bigger as I still need to be able to finish mow the balance of the property and not be so heavy I am leaving tracks in the yard.

We use these but with 11 shanks . The ends can be replaced with several different ripper shanks , longer, wider, and are fairly cheap. We rip with this and drag a beam behind the ripper.
bh
3/23/2021 6:13am
Whatever the one Matt walker uses is insane. They got one at my local track a few months ago and it is by far my favorite track prep. They are pricey though. 14k I think.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
3/23/2021 6:20am
Is time of the essence? Your tractor is plenty tractor to do any implement in its size range. It just might take a little longer. Pay the fuel and you'll be glad you don't have a 50hp tractor.
I don't see the need for a dozer other than blading bowl turns and making jumps. You are talking about ripping track and that has not much to do with a dozer. Even with a dozer you would still have to prep the ground the same way afterwards.
You have plenty tractor to pull a 2 or maybe a 3 disc 12 inch turn plow. After that run a set of discs or a cultivator (like you showed) across it to break down and flatten the plow rows. After that you can groom it out with a tiller and you will have some killer loam.
Note: Your PTO does not have down pressure, only the weight of the implement. So that cultivator you showed a picture of is not going to rip total deepness in hard cap soil without it being turn plowed first. And, you can not just skip to the tilling part and get any deeper than 2 - 6 inches deep with possibly multiple passes.

Advice: Check with your farm extension office, farm bureau and see if they have equipment your can borrow, such as the turn plow.
49weasel
3/23/2021 7:05am
Your Kubota doesn't have enough HP to run anything like the Maschio like walker uses. Your best bet is to buy a rotary tiller.

A Maschio A180 would be ideal and should get you 4-6" deep. I have some coming in anytime. I may have a few other options also.

Call or text me 614-747-5249
If any of you guys need implements feel free to contact me. I'm slowly but surely get more and more track to buy products off me. Plessinger,Briarcliff Mx and The Shoals (Stew Baylor) just to name a few.

49weasel
3/23/2021 7:15am
Moving in a week to a home with alot more land so we are planning on building a small mx track on roughly 5-6 acres. Will...

I can also sell you that exact model ..
zippytech
3/23/2021 12:10pm
I have used something like this for years,, what makes these other things better?

ron36
3/23/2021 12:43pm

Rotor, best way te prep clay
huutnanny
3/23/2021 12:45pm
zippytech wrote:
I have used something like this for years,, what makes these other things better? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/03/23/484621/s1200_blow.jpg[/img]
I have used something like this for years,, what makes these other things better?

The dirt comes out finer and more uniform. Less clumps.
dedi684
3/23/2021 1:25pm
zippytech wrote:
I have used something like this for years,, what makes these other things better? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/03/23/484621/s1200_blow.jpg[/img]

I used some old farm disks that worked pretty good. Guess it depends on the soil

Post a reply to: Mx track tractor implements

The Latest