Mx track building

imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/17/2015 9:50am
Fresh wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/09/16/105203/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Just small bits here and there still, riding in the mean time..

Just small bits here and there still, riding in the mean time..
That dirt looks killer
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
9/18/2015 9:05pm
It's great to ride, and great to build too
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
3/6/2018 2:14am
Some photo updates. It's just getting into the wetter months in Aus, I have been riding dry though. Dust bowl. I'm sorting out a watering system for summer.

PJRAUS
3/6/2018 1:26pm
Fresh wrote:
so i started experimenting with a few things, two jumps and a big berm so far, what do you think? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/07/08/97192/s1200_IMG_0809.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/07/08/97193/s1200_IMG_0946.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/07/08/97194/s1200_IMG_0947.jpg[/img]
so i started experimenting with a few things, two jumps and a big berm so far, what do you think?

Hey mate...I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but I've seen many people do what you've done here over the years.
You've taken the easy way with your loader and just dug a hole and pushed the dirt up to form a jump...you ride through the hole and up the jump face and the bottom of your berm is actually a hole..
All good until you get a decent rain..the holes fill up with water and become lakes.
When that happens you will be really pissed off.
If your only option is to source your dirt by digging a hole near the obstacles you are building. Make certain that you won't be riding through that hole as part of the track..
Just trying to help

The Shop

PJRAUS
3/6/2018 1:33pm
Well , read that you said your soil soaks it all up...sounds like dream dirt! Certainly looks like it anyway!
Man what most of us would give to have what you have there!
billyp330
3/7/2018 6:22am
I recently bought a house with 45 acres of land just so I could build a nice track in my backyard like I always dreamed. I bought a leftover 16 Mahindra 2540 with loader and a 6ft tiller. Started building my first jump (35ft peak to peak double, so a nice small jump, face is about 6ft tall and landing about 4ft). Can't wait until all this damn snow is gone and my yard dries up so I can get back out there and work on it. To those that say half the fun is building, I agree. I was surprised how much fun I had working on the track.

Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
3/7/2018 2:00pm
billyp330 wrote:
I recently bought a house with 45 acres of land just so I could build a nice track in my backyard like I always dreamed. I...
I recently bought a house with 45 acres of land just so I could build a nice track in my backyard like I always dreamed. I bought a leftover 16 Mahindra 2540 with loader and a 6ft tiller. Started building my first jump (35ft peak to peak double, so a nice small jump, face is about 6ft tall and landing about 4ft). Can't wait until all this damn snow is gone and my yard dries up so I can get back out there and work on it. To those that say half the fun is building, I agree. I was surprised how much fun I had working on the track.

I love getting out on the loader. Looks like you have good dirt there too!
billyp330
3/8/2018 6:01am
Fresh wrote:
I love getting out on the loader. Looks like you have good dirt there too!
Its pretty good other then it is fairly rocky. I'm looking into getting some sort of rock rake or something to help take the rocks out.
Donovan759
3/8/2018 6:11am
billyp330 wrote:
Its pretty good other then it is fairly rocky. I'm looking into getting some sort of rock rake or something to help take the rocks out.
Track is already looking great.. It also looks like you have a lot to work with as far as single track in the woods as well. Rocks are the worst out here. Good luck getting them sifted out over time.
billyp330
3/8/2018 11:39am
Yea only about 6 acres of my 45 are open land, the rest are woods. I do plan on making some trails, but my Mx track takes priority for now haha. Rocks will be a never ending battle I'm sure, but should get better with time. Besides it wouldn't feel right getting done with a moto and not having a hundred welts all over me lol
pmshortt2
3/8/2018 3:16pm
Figured I’d add to this thread. Does anyone know how one would go about getting a job as an equipment operator building tracks? I’m 21, have been operating equipment since I was 17. Bulldozers, excavators, front end loaders, dump trucks, rollers, and backhoes.

I realize it’s a “niche” industry, was just curious to know what the chances of landing a job building tracks would be. Thanks Cool
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
3/8/2018 3:47pm
billyp330 wrote:
Yea only about 6 acres of my 45 are open land, the rest are woods. I do plan on making some trails, but my Mx track...
Yea only about 6 acres of my 45 are open land, the rest are woods. I do plan on making some trails, but my Mx track takes priority for now haha. Rocks will be a never ending battle I'm sure, but should get better with time. Besides it wouldn't feel right getting done with a moto and not having a hundred welts all over me lol
hey budday!!WhistlingWink
schaefsh
3/9/2018 8:50am
Fresh wrote:
I've got a bit of land that I'm planning on building a track on. Its pure sand with a little elevation, anyone got tips on layout...
I've got a bit of land that I'm planning on building a track on. Its pure sand with a little elevation, anyone got tips on layout, obstacle ideas?
I'll probably end up posting pictures Woohoo
I haven't posted here in a long time, thought I might add a little fuel for the fire.... Just enjoy the ability to be outside and build well within your means, not only as a rider, but also what you are capable of building. That's what will keep it enjoyable and realistic on both ends of the spectrum.. I continue to do this because I enjoy it as much as when I started with a shovel in my sandbox as a kid, hell I'm still a kid.

mutti_wilson
3/9/2018 11:50am
Tracktor wrote:
Dirt therapy- [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/09/248436/s1200_track3.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/09/248440/s1200_track.jpg[/img]
Dirt therapy-

I see you're in Amboy. Super nice day to be out today. I'm building a house over by the Grist Mill. Can't wait to be done so I can build some trails/tracks.

What machine are you running? Looks like Case? I've got a Mitsubishi BD2G, a 5ton mini and a 40hp Kubota so I should have the tools to make something worthwhile.
Tracktor
3/9/2018 3:03pm
I see you're in Amboy. Super nice day to be out today. I'm building a house over by the Grist Mill. Can't wait to be done...
I see you're in Amboy. Super nice day to be out today. I'm building a house over by the Grist Mill. Can't wait to be done so I can build some trails/tracks.

What machine are you running? Looks like Case? I've got a Mitsubishi BD2G, a 5ton mini and a 40hp Kubota so I should have the tools to make something worthwhile.
Old Case 450. Also have a Branson 2910i for daily prep. You have about the perfect mix for building & maintaining, imo. Tracked skiddys are nice but limited uses. I used to live up by View off Goodnight Rd. right on corner of 410th St. Had a track up there also. Still there but doesn't get ridden. Hopefully get some building in this weekend. I have another FMX ramp on the way gotta figure out where to put it...........
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
3/31/2018 7:00pm

We got a bit of rain recently so I got out and went over the track. I’ve got some rough stuff popping up the more I ride it which is great. Track drys out very fast so the watering system will be welcomed, if it were to rain in the morning and clear up by midday it would be dry in the afternoon.

The dirt is very similar to my local racetrack so it’s great for practice
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
5/26/2018 11:10pm
Finally got our first big rain of the season in West Aus so I’ve been riding all weekend. Track is perfect, dirt is perfect.
drt410
5/27/2018 4:45pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2018 4:46pm
First, if it's your first time building a track, build everything MUCH bigger then you think it should be. Sand packs down and after a few...
First, if it's your first time building a track, build everything MUCH bigger then you think it should be. Sand packs down and after a few weeks your big double is 2 rollers.

Second, is three parts. Water, Water & WATER!!! If you don't have a pond, then that would be the first thing to build. Then use the dirt from that to build track. Most of the time you can find clay when digging the pond.

Third, if you need more dirt, skim it from the land. Don't just dig holes. You can get a lot of dirt by skimming 1'-2' from a hillsid .
Exactly you can skim the entire length of the track down a couple inches which will show where the track goes by giving it natural sides and also will give you a tonnnn of dirt, more than you think. Then it will also allow corners to form much easier with this soft dirt and you'll have plentyyyy of dirt to use. I did this and the dirt is so much better below the top soil. You can see exactly where the track goes where theres 3-4" height "walls" on both sides of the track and this beautiful dirt can easily be turned into starter berms with just shovels. For corners I liked to dig up the tough compacted top soil and pile it up in the shape of the berm and then once the soft soil below is exposed I liked to use a hoe and while standing back behind the rough shape of the berm pull this new dirt back towards me with the hoe and over the piles of compacted clumps of top soil at an angle forming the berms. Do this and you'll get nice fluffy berms that now after just riding will pile up quick. Then water water water.

Then for jumps you can even dig the whole straight away in front of the take off down even deeper to add elevation just push it all down towards the takeoff and youll have plenty. Then do the other for the section after the landing use all the dirt from the straight after for the landing. Dig up that top soil from the whole section and use that for the general base of the take off and landing then put that fluffy dirt that you dig down in the sections before and after over the tops of the takeoffs and landings. Now you have great dirt in the straight away, a "shape" of the track, and jumps with great dirt on top of them and the same with the berms. Then you just ride and keep throwing more dirt on top as it packs down and before you know it you have a great track with good dirt. Like someone else said don't dig holes it looks stupid, creates hazards, and is just sloppy, just dig up the riding surface and use that dirt. You can dig a couple if you absolutely need to but fill it in with leaves or something after its just sloppy to have holes all over the place.
drt410
5/27/2018 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2018 4:55pm
Fresh wrote:
so i started experimenting with a few things, two jumps and a big berm so far, what do you think? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/07/08/97192/s1200_IMG_0809.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/07/08/97193/s1200_IMG_0946.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/07/08/97194/s1200_IMG_0947.jpg[/img]
so i started experimenting with a few things, two jumps and a big berm so far, what do you think?

Looking good, just don't dig so deep right in front of the jumps, dig out the entire section before the jumps a few inches down and pile it up for the jump so you don't have holes that trap water. That being said don't be scared to dig down because you can create elevation by doing this, but just try to dig out plenty of room on the sides as well as far enough back so if you do this rain doesn't pool down there. That first picture I would dig out those walls on both sides so you get more dirt and it gives the water a place to go. That will give you even more dirt so you can make the jump bigger or just taller as a hill with a jump at the top for some real MX elevation changes. Looking great though I like the grass on both sides Id love to have this. If you play it smart you could have the Stewart compound part 2 haha.
Tracktor
5/30/2018 10:02am
I diagrammed Washougal's whoop section the replicated it but a wee bit bigger. best thing I've added top track so far. Both boys killed the Washougal whoops last race since they were cake compared to ours - 2-3' high x 16-18' apart.

McG194
5/31/2018 12:32am
We never had a lot of elevation or extra dirt, we had the refrigerator jump and the stove jump. Generally find the biggest garbage you can and throw dirt on top of it.

Post a reply to: Mx track building

The Latest