Mx track building

Related:
Create New Tag

6/21/2015 1:09 AM

I've got a bit of land that I'm planning on building a track on. Its pure sand with a little elevation, anyone got tips on layout, obstacle ideas?
I'll probably end up posting pictures w00t

|

6/21/2015 4:24 AM

How much land? What kind of equiptment do you have access too?

|

well we ain't the smartest folks in the world...i mean we're fucking dirtbike riders for christ sakes.- BobbyM

If you chose not to decide you still have made a chioce.



6/21/2015 4:46 AM

Cygnus wrote:

How much land? What kind of equiptment do you have access too?

10 acres

only a loader

|

6/21/2015 5:42 AM

get s 2 bottom plow to rip with,makes scooping with a loader much easier.

|

6/21/2015 5:43 AM

wait,a track loader?

|

6/21/2015 5:49 AM

Print out a picture of the land from google imagines. If you are familiar with the terrain you can map out something on paper,

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

6/21/2015 6:02 AM

Alligator pit!

Just kidding of course. If it's soft sand you don't need many obstacles. They will create themselves. The old Orlando Sports Stadium track was on a level piece of ground but that was one rough SOB of a track. A few well placed jumps should be sufficient. The more bikes you get on it, the rougher it will get.

|

6/21/2015 6:20 AM

Just mark out some nice big flowing 180s left right left right into each other over whatever hills you have. If it's sandy it'll look after itself. Who needs jumps when you've got big sandy berms!

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


6/21/2015 7:24 AM

Well you should be able to get a decent track on 10 acres. Will this just be for you and a couple friends or do yiu need a parking area for holding open Practice or races? I have about 5 acres just for parking. I was also going to suggest a shot from google earth too. Here is mine. It's 45 acres total.

Wish I could get a better grab Photo

|

well we ain't the smartest folks in the world...i mean we're fucking dirtbike riders for christ sakes.- BobbyM

If you chose not to decide you still have made a chioce.



6/21/2015 7:27 AM

Natural sand whoops build a good base, if you want some jumps suggest bringing in some clay as sand isn't the ideal medium for jump faces....

|

6/21/2015 7:47 AM

Cygnus wrote:

Well you should be able to get a decent track on 10 acres. Will this just be for you and a couple friends or do yiu need a parking area for holding open Practice or races? I have about 5 acres just for parking. I was also going to suggest a shot from google earth too. Here is mine. It's 45 acres total.

Wish I could get a better grab Photo

It looks like a hell of a back yard

|

6/21/2015 8:20 AM

Circle ruts.

|

6/21/2015 6:22 PM

Cygnus wrote:

Well you should be able to get a decent track on 10 acres. Will this just be for you and a couple friends or do yiu need a parking area for holding open Practice or races? I have about 5 acres just for parking. I was also going to suggest a shot from google earth too. Here is mine. It's 45 acres total.

Wish I could get a better grab Photo

It will just be for me and a few mates, but i want to make it big enough to actually race on

So no obsictles for sand? theres hardly any hills, just a small, long gradual slope

I already have a plow/rake for the loader

|

6/22/2015 1:44 AM

So I've drawn a plan
What do you think? Photo

|

6/22/2015 2:22 AM

From personal experience, try to mix some clay at least into the jump takeoffs. Double jumps will need more rebuilding than tables. As it's a topic atm, think about watering. A central well would be best. S turns turn onelined very fast on a sand track. Start with a flat track, ride some time and see how the ground developes.

|

6/22/2015 4:44 AM

JackLHyde wrote:

From personal experience, try to mix some clay at least into the jump takeoffs. Double jumps will need more rebuilding than tables. As it's a topic atm, think about watering. A central well would be best. S turns turn onelined very fast on a sand track. Start with a flat track, ride some time and see how the ground developes.

its in a bit of a valley and one side is clay based, so clay is on hand!

|

6/22/2015 5:57 AM

First, if it's your first time building a track, build everything MUCH bigger then you think it should be. Sand packs down and after a few weeks your big double is 2 rollers.

Second, is three parts. Water, Water & WATER!!! If you don't have a pond, then that would be the first thing to build. Then use the dirt from that to build track. Most of the time you can find clay when digging the pond.

Third, if you need more dirt, skim it from the land. Don't just dig holes. You can get a lot of dirt by skimming 1'-2' from a hillsid .

|

6/22/2015 5:14 PM

Some big roller whoops would be nice down that long straight. I mean, 20 + feet across, 3 feet deep, make them where you just have to slam through and can't double them.

Rollers will last longer with less maintenance too.

|

6/22/2015 6:02 PM

Don't fall into the trap of "Left, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right" for the turns. Mix it up. Lay out some Right, Right or Left, Left turns that can be taken individually, squaring off on the insides, or connected by sweeping wide. This will encourage multi-lines and make for easier passing.

My 2 cents.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

6/23/2015 6:34 AM

racingfortheson wrote:

First, if it's your first time building a track, build everything MUCH bigger then you think it should be. Sand packs down and after a few weeks your big double is 2 rollers.

Second, is three parts. Water, Water & WATER!!! If you don't have a pond, then that would be the first thing to build. Then use the dirt from that to build track. Most of the time you can find clay when digging the pond.

Third, if you need more dirt, skim it from the land. Don't just dig holes. You can get a lot of dirt by skimming 1'-2' from a hillsid .

I'm in the process of building a pond that will hold water, its sand, what do you expect. So I'm going to line it with about 6 inches of the clay i have and then 6 inches some gravel i have. Just so it can hold water.

Next ill start working on obstacles and track etc.

Then ride!

expect pictures

|

6/23/2015 6:58 AM

With sand, I'd start out with at least one big fat daddy sand whoop section, and a few big floaters. Ride the crap out of it and then you will have 1000X better idea of what you would like to do with the place, and what you can really do with a particular section and whatnot. It's your own track, anything goes, so get creative and think as far outside the box as you want. I'm totally jealous man.

|

6/23/2015 8:09 AM

You're going to want to rent/borrow an excavator to dig down to bedrock/hard dirt. Pile it up, use it on jump faces. That will double as your water retention.

The excavation Reed did at his FL track is INSANE.

|

6/23/2015 10:24 PM

The Narrator wrote:

You're going to want to rent/borrow an excavator to dig down to bedrock/hard dirt. Pile it up, use it on jump faces. That will double as your water retention.

The excavation Reed did at his FL track is INSANE.

There is no hard dirt

|

6/24/2015 4:21 AM

The Narrator wrote:

You're going to want to rent/borrow an excavator to dig down to bedrock/hard dirt. Pile it up, use it on jump faces. That will double as your water retention.

The excavation Reed did at his FL track is INSANE.

Fresh wrote:

There is no hard dirt

There is. The whole might be 25 feet deep when you're done, but it's there.

|

6/24/2015 6:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2015 6:23 AM

Couple things, excavators are great for building a pond they suck for generating dirt for jumps. It takes way to much time(time=deisel) to move dirt around. You need to scrape the dirt from next to the jumps you're building. Tabletops take a lot of dirt to build. Doubles are popular for a reason. If I had my choice I would have a dozer for the general build and them a medium loader for shaping up. While a skid steer is how we tune up the track I would never attempt to build a jump with one. Check local ordinances on building a pond. Lots of red tape out west where that is concerned. If you aren't far from town you may be able to find trucking companies that will dump decent dirt. I had one company bring out 10-15 loads but decided I was to far to keep bringing it.

|

well we ain't the smartest folks in the world...i mean we're fucking dirtbike riders for christ sakes.- BobbyM

If you chose not to decide you still have made a chioce.



6/24/2015 8:09 AM

Get a permit, check with your neighbors/ city council. **DO NOT START BUILDING WITHOUT APPROVAL**

|

6/25/2015 4:30 AM

Cygnus wrote:

Couple things, excavators are great for building a pond they suck for generating dirt for jumps. It takes way to much time(time=deisel) to move dirt around. You need to scrape the dirt from next to the jumps you're building. Tabletops take a lot of dirt to build. Doubles are popular for a reason. If I had my choice I would have a dozer for the general build and them a medium loader for shaping up. While a skid steer is how we tune up the track I would never attempt to build a jump with one. Check local ordinances on building a pond. Lots of red tape out west where that is concerned. If you aren't far from town you may be able to find trucking companies that will dump decent dirt. I had one company bring out 10-15 loads but decided I was to far to keep bringing it.

I'm going to try keep costs at just diesel

the loader isn't massive so its good for shaping as well, but i need to get an excavator for the pond.

This is making me exited!

|

6/25/2015 5:30 AM

ryandiezic757 wrote:

Get a permit, check with your neighbors/ city council. **DO NOT START BUILDING WITHOUT APPROVAL**

Neighbors LOVE dirtbike tracks.

|

6/25/2015 3:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/25/2015 3:31 PM

I built one at my old house, about a mile in length. Then I moved out to the farm where I grew up. 85 acres and I own a construction business. Two dump trucks, two dozers, cat crawler multi-terrain loader, two rubber tired loaders, and three excavators. Still no track to speak of but I've got a start. I'm in southern Ohio so rolling hills. I describe the area as a mini Unadilla. All natural terrain, elevation changes and lots of off cambers.
Free advice from my experience, be prepared to alter the jump size and spacing, as well as change distance to turns. I think you'll want some nice tight sections, but keep an area for a nice open place that you can open it up.

|

6/25/2015 4:10 PM

Cygnus wrote:

Well you should be able to get a decent track on 10 acres. Will this just be for you and a couple friends or do yiu need a parking area for holding open Practice or races? I have about 5 acres just for parking. I was also going to suggest a shot from google earth too. Here is mine. It's 45 acres total.

Wish I could get a better grab Photo

Wow batman, sweet setup !!!!

|