Mx and the economy

Motodave
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 9:28am
I am just asking an opionion. Do you guys think with the falling economy here in the us and the fact that nascar teams are finding it very hard to find sponsors to pay for everything.http://www.theworldlink.com/articles/2008/10/18/sports/doc48f9a905c4763215566777.txt.. Would our big sponsors in sx,mx end up pulling out.
|
vet954
10/28/2008 11:52am
Never understood how the energy drink sponsors could afford to sponsor mx/sx. Who buys the junk? Not anyone who races mx/sx thats for sure!
Personaly I would love to see the entire mx industry tank and resurface back to the grass roots, obscure, no money, low cost, way of things.
Old school? Bet your ass. This sport was f'en awesome 20 years ago. Great 10 years ago. And a pathetic moist pile of shit today.
10 thousand dollars for a parent to put a kid on the line in 250C class? Get a f'en clue folks!
For what it cost to race 5 seasons of amature mx in the B class you can pay for a 4 year state college education. Any guess on where the smart money is?

Next year we are no longer racing. Buying 3 memberships at local tracks and riding all day every chance we get. No more new bikes. No more AMA memberships, No more district fees. NO more race entries. No more 10 hour drives for 15 laps of riding.

It is not only the economy.

It is the big 5 thinking the average racer has $10 thousand dollars to race.

jay_547
10/28/2008 11:53am
bring back camel.
digger
Fantasy
3871st
10/28/2008 12:06pm
You never know. Monster just announced they're getting out of NHRA.
Adam43
10/28/2008 12:28pm
vet954 wrote:
Never understood how the energy drink sponsors could afford to sponsor mx/sx. Who buys the junk? Not anyone who races mx/sx thats for sure! Personaly I...
Never understood how the energy drink sponsors could afford to sponsor mx/sx. Who buys the junk? Not anyone who races mx/sx thats for sure!
Personaly I would love to see the entire mx industry tank and resurface back to the grass roots, obscure, no money, low cost, way of things.
Old school? Bet your ass. This sport was f'en awesome 20 years ago. Great 10 years ago. And a pathetic moist pile of shit today.
10 thousand dollars for a parent to put a kid on the line in 250C class? Get a f'en clue folks!
For what it cost to race 5 seasons of amature mx in the B class you can pay for a 4 year state college education. Any guess on where the smart money is?

Next year we are no longer racing. Buying 3 memberships at local tracks and riding all day every chance we get. No more new bikes. No more AMA memberships, No more district fees. NO more race entries. No more 10 hour drives for 15 laps of riding.

Good post. This sport has definitely evolved into something else altogether, something very different than when I started 10 years ago.

Very few of the changes are for the better. Costs are out of control, tons of idiot families leveraging themselves to the hilt just to participate.

Progress!

The Shop

10/28/2008 1:52pm
vet954 wrote:
Never understood how the energy drink sponsors could afford to sponsor mx/sx. Who buys the junk? Not anyone who races mx/sx thats for sure! Personaly I...

but....what....about......the....trophies?

Must.....get....trophies.

A used two stroke and an old pickup truck is all you need.
10/28/2008 1:58pm
It's all in what you want to do. If you want to work at being a pro it take dollers in every sport. If you want to race have fun and hang out with your frineds you can race local small tracks, stay away from the big races keep your bike fresh and run it forever. Or buy bowling trophies and convert them to MX trophies (just kidding) Cheerful
twizzler
10/28/2008 3:17pm
JSE will bring this sport to a whole new level!
oldx
10/29/2008 4:17pm
vet954 wrote:

Ed Zackery
mx757
10/29/2008 4:34pm
Adam43 wrote:
Good post. This sport has definitely evolved into something else altogether, something very different than when I started 10 years ago. Very few of the changes...
Good post. This sport has definitely evolved into something else altogether, something very different than when I started 10 years ago.

Very few of the changes are for the better. Costs are out of control, tons of idiot families leveraging themselves to the hilt just to participate.

Progress!
same with me. I started in 2002. we bought my brand new left over 2001 yz125 for $4200 out the door in early january and i was out racing on it in mid february with my bone stock bike, in year old leftover gear and the same helmet from when I started riding. Now you see 75% of the kids in the novice and beginner classes on brand new $7000 250f's with $400 boots, $300 helmets, and $400 neck braces. When i started every weekend we would line up and go race a qualifier because there would be at least 45 riders signed up in 125 novice. there was only 3 85 classes at that time too. 85 a, b, and novice. the racing was much closer in all classes and the gates were always full. Now its gotten to the point where johnny practice rider cant show up at the local track with his 3 year old bike and run competitively, so they quit after a few weeks of getting their asses handed to them.
socalmx716
10/29/2008 4:40pm
Have you been to a supercross lately? Everybody drinks those damn drinks. They're giving people diabetes. They should come with a surgeon general warning like Cigs.
lumpy790
10/29/2008 7:00pm
its 25 Mil to sponsor 1 Nascar driver for the year. I do not know what the exact numbers are for SX/MX but I would bet the title sponsor does not pay that much so hopefully they will join the SX/MX circus as it is much cheaper to sponsor.
Cory676
10/29/2008 7:55pm
I raced YZ 250's locally in Colorado in the 250 and Open A classes for a bit, had brand new ones every year until I decided to join the 4 stroke bandwagon and got a 03 YZF 250 4 stroke. Loved it. But when the oil pump went out in it 3/4 of the way throught the season, it cost me $1900 to rebuilt the damn thing! $1900!!! I could have built 3 YZ 250 2 stroke motors for under $1900! I then bought a 06 KX 250 and raced that for another year and a half until I quit trying to keep up with the "Jones's".

4 strokes caused me to quit racing MX. . . just too damn expensive for the upkeep, and they sound like shit too. My love and motivation died when the 2 stroke was phased out.
Kawasaki does'nt even make a KX 250 any more!
Sonny
10/29/2008 8:27pm
Cory676 - I guess we have similar stories. Discouraged is the word. My nephew has gone to a 07 RM125 and while he's doing well, he gets beat by less talented riders. Riders he was beating when he raced his 4-stroke. One thing I do notice is that these less talented guys have an endless supply of money to invest in this dying sport.

You should see what dicks we look like, coming to the track in our pick-up, parking near the 6 figure RV's. And our busted ass cooler - it's not OUR THING any longer. That's all I know.
ocscottie
10/29/2008 8:30pm
You think we (MX) are having a problem? you should see whats happening in F1, all hell is about to break loose, spec engine rumors, top teams threatening to pull out if that happens etc etc.

The next couple years are going to be very interesting in a lot of motor sports.
Teddy240
10/29/2008 9:09pm
I understand completely. i remember before i even started racing, how awesome it was to see stacked motos at every local race. I loved it because no one had a clue about motocross at my school. You could just drive up to the gates of the track and live a totally unique lifestyle. now its so mainstream with people into it for the "cool" factor. I loved racing my cr125 and riding with my dad on the practice days. Now its all high dollar, race fee, memberships and 6 figure motorhomes chasing to be the next mcgrath with money instead of talent. i mean the people buying fox that arent true motocross makes the sport money, but leaves out the exclusiveness of being apart of motocross. the energy drink crisis. i have seen so much monster shit at local riding areas and in the shop i work out its disgusting, im only glad energy drinks are around is because they sponsor supercross/motocross.
bd
10/29/2008 9:21pm
I wanna thank Honda and AMA Racing for fucking us with no vasoline. I use to be the biggest Honda fan in world. After they killed the CR and fought rule changes, I'll never ride red again.

Thank you Yamaha! I'm a YZ owner!
bd
10/29/2008 9:22pm
If I race again.... it will be the vintage class. I'm looking at 78-80 YZ 125 to 250s.
Adam43
10/29/2008 9:33pm
bd wrote:
I wanna thank Honda and AMA Racing for fucking us with no vasoline. I use to be the biggest Honda fan in world. After they killed...
I wanna thank Honda and AMA Racing for fucking us with no vasoline. I use to be the biggest Honda fan in world. After they killed the CR and fought rule changes, I'll never ride red again.

Easy there bucko. You can think Yamaha for starting this whole shit-stroke revolution.
bd
10/29/2008 9:37pm
LOL... true! But Yamaha is the only one out of the big 4 still selling 2 strokes in the US.
sesker15
10/29/2008 10:20pm
Adam43 wrote:
Good post. This sport has definitely evolved into something else altogether, something very different than when I started 10 years ago. Very few of the changes...

Progress!
mx757 wrote:
same with me. I started in 2002. we bought my brand new left over 2001 yz125 for $4200 out the door in early january and i...
same with me. I started in 2002. we bought my brand new left over 2001 yz125 for $4200 out the door in early january and i was out racing on it in mid february with my bone stock bike, in year old leftover gear and the same helmet from when I started riding. Now you see 75% of the kids in the novice and beginner classes on brand new $7000 250f's with $400 boots, $300 helmets, and $400 neck braces. When i started every weekend we would line up and go race a qualifier because there would be at least 45 riders signed up in 125 novice. there was only 3 85 classes at that time too. 85 a, b, and novice. the racing was much closer in all classes and the gates were always full. Now its gotten to the point where johnny practice rider cant show up at the local track with his 3 year old bike and run competitively, so they quit after a few weeks of getting their asses handed to them.
All of this shit is so tru. Thats why my mom got me out the sport of racing as a young kid and I just continue to play basketball. I CRIED FOR DAYS. But basketball i got a bball schloroship which help me get through college. Now that i am done with school and basketball i want to get back into Racing a lil bit. But this shit COAST So much! So i guess i will be riding in my backyard for now. What are we suppost to do????
sesker15
10/29/2008 10:21pm
bd wrote:
I wanna thank Honda and AMA Racing for fucking us with no vasoline. I use to be the biggest Honda fan in world. After they killed...

Adam43 wrote:
Easy there bucko. You can think Yamaha for starting this whole shit-stroke revolution.
This is SO tru Adam43!!!!
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
10/29/2008 10:57pm
Adam43 wrote:

Progress!
mx757 wrote:
same with me. I started in 2002. we bought my brand new left over 2001 yz125 for $4200 out the door in early january and i...
sesker15 wrote:
All of this shit is so tru. Thats why my mom got me out the sport of racing as a young kid and I just continue...
All of this shit is so tru. Thats why my mom got me out the sport of racing as a young kid and I just continue to play basketball. I CRIED FOR DAYS. But basketball i got a bball schloroship which help me get through college. Now that i am done with school and basketball i want to get back into Racing a lil bit. But this shit COAST So much! So i guess i will be riding in my backyard for now. What are we suppost to do????
"But this shit COAST So much!"
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that English wasn't your major in college. Wink Sorry, couldn't resist. Laughing

I do have to agree with the general cost sentiment in this thread. Add in the danger of today's tracks, and it's no surprise my son and I are much more into trailriding, with the occasional run around the MX track on practice days only.

I am surprised that a 125 only series hasn't popped up in the US like it has in GB. I know the 250F's are faster, but if everyone is on a 125, then it really doesn't matter if the 250F is faster, does it?
sesker15
10/29/2008 11:58pm
"But this shit COAST So much!" I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that English wasn't your major in college. ;) Sorry, couldn't...
"But this shit COAST So much!"
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that English wasn't your major in college. Wink Sorry, couldn't resist. Laughing

I do have to agree with the general cost sentiment in this thread. Add in the danger of today's tracks, and it's no surprise my son and I are much more into trailriding, with the occasional run around the MX track on practice days only.

I am surprised that a 125 only series hasn't popped up in the US like it has in GB. I know the 250F's are faster, but if everyone is on a 125, then it really doesn't matter if the 250F is faster, does it?
Matt Fisher...lol its all good man. That was funnie when i read it over. my mess up. I told you i went to school to play basketball...lol.
PastranaWho
10/30/2008 5:08am
vet954 wrote:

Some people need to let go of the past, seriously.
ty159
10/30/2008 5:22am
vet954 wrote:

No more 10 hour drives for 15 laps of riding.

That's a big reason we've gone to racing Hare Scrambles more! My 15 y.o. gets 1.5 hours plus a practice lap of 6-8 miles, depending on the course. I get 2 hours plus a practice lpa of 8-12 miles depending on the couse in the Vet class! I have a much more relaxing, fun time at the scrambles than the MX. Hell if we want to ride MX I have a professionaly built track on the back part of my property and 3 tracks within 2 hours! As far as racing goes, the off raod stuff is really fun!
-eagle-
10/30/2008 6:19am
Motocross is rapidly becoming and elitist event.
gar47mx
10/30/2008 7:18am
My MX racing has definitely been impacted cause of the current economy. I raced about 25 times this year April-October. But let me tell you I had to live on PJ sandwiches and crackers just to get to the races and sign up...not even double classing. I try and hook up with a buddy to split gas, and we go in either a dakota or f150 pick up. I mostly fund my racing with side work that I do, and with the exception of this year I have more than enough to race. I have been racing since 92 and never has it been so hard to afford racing, and never have I seen such weak turnouts at the local races. It almost makes you wanna just ride with your buddys at a practice track instead of paying out your ass to get about 30 min of riding, but I love the competition of racing and I live for it. Brrrrraaappppp thats right... pre-mixing it still!!!
JustMX
10/30/2008 7:19am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 9:02pm
Wow,

What a great thread.

I have been around the sport since the early '80's.

Started promoting races in 1995.

It is a completely different sport now run by the most incredibly short sighted idoits imaginable.

$3000 rebuilds

Bikes with no resale

From the 50cc's to the 450's, Beginners riding bikes that require absolutely no ability to go fast enough to get messed up.

no noise limts until 2010? Opps....10 years too late.

Every new race track I know of is in danger of being closed.

Existing tracks can't even pay the bills.

Our sport most get simplified and return to it's place as the most affordable motorsport.

make the 50 class affordable again. High end machines require 10-15 hours of maintainance a week. Who can do that?

Tracks need to offer classes that make the 125s competitive.

I currently offer 150 B, C, & D classes for 125 2 strokes & 150F's. They are growing.

Next year I might add a class or two just for 250 2 strokes.

We have to do something to keep our sport from turning into freaking Polo.
gar47mx
10/30/2008 7:23am
add the 250 2-stroke class!!! I went back to one and boy am I happy I did. So much more fun than a lazy four stroke!! There are more and more guys going back here in NY. We have a open 2-stroke class in our outlaw district and every week it seems someone else signs up with one
-eagle-
10/30/2008 7:59am
Just MX-Great post.
The polo comment was exactly what i was meaning with the elitist thing.

Post a reply to: Mx and the economy

The Latest