Muscle Stimulators for MX recovery/training

phatfi20
7/24/2018 9:08am
Seems like ESTIM companies are marketing to MX pros and public now. I saw Osbourne, Plessenger, Ciancirulo and AJ Catanzaro using various brands of Electric stimulation machines in their social media feeds. Clear marketing tactic by some but so what. Power dot, Compex, etc.

Researched them and decided to try out the Compex Edge which is the most basic model Compex sells and got it for around $120. The more expensive models have more programs in them.The most expensive model is wireless. Each program is different mainly because of the frequencies or time of the pulse. You have a lot of control over the power level and they also have different levels within the programs as you progress. It would probably hurt alot to start off at level 5 and crank the power up.

I've had it for 2 weeks. I use the active recovery mode the most and this alone is worth the money. It feels GREAT. Like a massage almost. The active recovery gives quick pulses and gets slower over 26 minutes and feel like a massage or can be described as someone shaking out your legs if your laying back flat on the ground which people often do in soccer. Feels great on the thighs/hammys/calves after a day of riding or after a run. Maybe its just me but my legs do feel fresher for back to back runs. Also awesome for loosening shoulders/back that are eternally tight from desk work.

It has endurance and resistance(strength) modes also. No one claims you get stronger just by sitting on the couch using it. These are longer pulses contractions of your muscles that you use while working out. Science is not as clear on benefit of these for performance gains. (Looking at you Keefer) Idea is when you workout your only recruiting a portion of muscle fibers, say 40%. Stories of Moms that lift cars of kids are recruiting 100%. Using it while working out you are recruiting more fibers by doing the voluntary workout along with the involuntary contractions the machine provides. I'm no expert but look it up.

There is a section of MX/the internet that can't help themselves but to be stubborn/cynical for ANYTHING new and point out EVERYTHING that might be wrong because they know everything. This post will be like deer lick to them. You know the.... "You wont feel 10mm difference in bars" "A kit suspension isn't much better" "Clickers don't really make a difference, just ride it".

If you post to say E-Stim is fake news or waste of money, I would pro actively respond by saying you're a waste of money. My wife works in healthcare and tried to tell me the same thing but she was wrong and I'm not going to let her use it now. If it turns out it helps increase athletic/sexual performance, I decided I'm withholding the good stuff from her.
|
olds cool
7/24/2018 9:32am
Withholding the good stuff from your wife is a flawed plan. You may want to reconsider that. It'll be a LOT cheaper in the long run. Just sayin'...
fourfourone
7/24/2018 9:48am
I hurt my shoulder at work a few years back. Part of the physical therapy was E-stim. To be honest I found it didn't really help at all. The real difference was from the actual movements and exercises they made me do.
7/24/2018 11:20am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2018 11:31am
Lol - electronic stimulation has been around forever and is nothing but snake oil. Good grief. Water, protein, stretch, rest. That’s how muscles recover.
TSCHAM101
7/24/2018 11:25am
muscle stimulators are different than TENs units... completely different. and i agree with the OP.. they work really well for sore muscles.. the micro contractions help shuttle fresh(non-oxidized) blood into the muscles and flushes all the oxidized(waste) blood out to be filtered by the rest of the body.. I have noticed a big difference when i am sore.

The Shop

kb228
3/9/2019 4:43am
What happened to light cardio and stretching for recovery
dedi684
3/9/2019 5:25am
Been wondering the same i have a bad shoulder
dpingree101
3/11/2019 11:45pm
Lol - electronic stimulation has been around forever and is nothing but snake oil. Good grief. Water, protein, stretch, rest. That’s how muscles recover.
It's electric, not electronic, and it isn't snake oil. This technology, which takes various forms [TENS, EMS] is used by every reputable physical therapist and sports doctor around the globe. Do some damn research before you embarrass yourself like this again. Geez.
tcallahan707
3/12/2019 12:41am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2019 12:44am
I have a Powerdot and use it as a recovery tool from running. It helps relieve tension and lactic acid. I dig it for sure but honestly don't know much about the science. My understanding is that it gets more nerves and muscles firing which opens up bloodflow, and the recovery aspect that comes with that.

After things feel loose, I usually crank it up a notch or 5 and try to mentally relax whatever is cramped up. It helps with tuning in and improving my mind body connection. Cue the Ryno speak here...
CASH476
3/12/2019 4:35pm
It's electric, not electronic, and it isn't snake oil. This technology, which takes various forms [TENS, EMS] is used by every reputable physical therapist and sports...
It's electric, not electronic, and it isn't snake oil. This technology, which takes various forms [TENS, EMS] is used by every reputable physical therapist and sports doctor around the globe. Do some damn research before you embarrass yourself like this again. Geez.
There you go, scientific evidence from someone who has absolutely no affiliation to any company or product involved. Laughing /end thread

Post a reply to: Muscle Stimulators for MX recovery/training

The Latest