Mugen Honda E-REX

JK BRO
Fantasy
1342nd
3/30/2022 7:59am
Won't be long now. Like it or not, they are coming and fast. Personally, I would hold off on jumping on the Stark when all the...
Won't be long now. Like it or not, they are coming and fast. Personally, I would hold off on jumping on the Stark when all the major manufacturers that already have the chassis, R&D capability, and cash are coming in hot. Just like power tools, cars, vacuums etc are going this direction, moto will as well. 100% instant torque, noise issues gone, much less maintenance, infinite levels of programming from beginner level to 450 power++, similar pricing, and able to ride basically anywhere......not sure how that's a bad thing. They may not replace enduro bikes for 4 hour+ rides immediately, but everything else will no doubt have a major impact.
What powered vacuums before they were electric?
Crossup
3/30/2022 8:35am Edited Date/Time 3/30/2022 8:37am
Typical stoic moto corporate marketing. They should get their two best e-bikes give them to the Lawrence brothers and let them play. They can do a couple of vlogs and It will do more to legitimize e-bikes in people's minds then what they're doing now.
8tensolutions
3/30/2022 9:55am
Won't be long now. Like it or not, they are coming and fast. Personally, I would hold off on jumping on the Stark when all the...
Won't be long now. Like it or not, they are coming and fast. Personally, I would hold off on jumping on the Stark when all the major manufacturers that already have the chassis, R&D capability, and cash are coming in hot. Just like power tools, cars, vacuums etc are going this direction, moto will as well. 100% instant torque, noise issues gone, much less maintenance, infinite levels of programming from beginner level to 450 power++, similar pricing, and able to ride basically anywhere......not sure how that's a bad thing. They may not replace enduro bikes for 4 hour+ rides immediately, but everything else will no doubt have a major impact.
JK BRO wrote:
What powered vacuums before they were electric?
I meant battery powered. Last time I checked an extension cord won't work on a motorcycle.
Motodave15
3/30/2022 10:07am
If I get an electric bike, I’m going to rig it up to sound like a v12 F1 car at full song.

The Shop

Mr. Afterbar
3/30/2022 10:20am
Guys, everyone saying that sound is a big deal. For example, in the Rally they are already testing the alternative sound for an electric car. In...
Guys, everyone saying that sound is a big deal. For example, in the Rally they are already testing the alternative sound for an electric car. In this case, they used the sound of a F1 monopost, which for me personally is not the most suitable sound for a rally car. But they are working on something like this. So I think that with development, it's just matter of time. As you set the engine power between 125 - 450 ccm on electric bike, you will probably set the sound of 2-Stroke, 4-Stroke. And maybe in a few years, sound will be way more improved.

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, honestly. If I want a 2 stroke or 4 stroke noise, I'll ride a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Are we actually talking about adding speakers to competition motorcycles to make them seem cooler? WTF is wrong with this world?
davis224
Fantasy
165th
3/30/2022 10:21am
Motodave15 wrote:
If I get an electric bike, I’m going to rig it up to sound like a v12 F1 car at full song.
I want it to sound like a slide whistle at various throttle (accelerator?) positions.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/30/2022 10:23am
I want it to sound the way it sounds, no additional parts or weight needed.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
3/30/2022 10:34am
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, honestly. If I want a 2 stroke or 4 stroke noise, I'll ride a 2 stroke or...
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, honestly. If I want a 2 stroke or 4 stroke noise, I'll ride a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Are we actually talking about adding speakers to competition motorcycles to make them seem cooler? WTF is wrong with this world?
I agree. There is a sort of visceral connection between the throttle input, the feeling of the motor's response, and the sound produced. I don't think you can fake it by playing 2 stroke sounds from an electric bike.
KONG
3/30/2022 11:00am
Guys, everyone saying that sound is a big deal. For example, in the Rally they are already testing the alternative sound for an electric car. In...
Guys, everyone saying that sound is a big deal. For example, in the Rally they are already testing the alternative sound for an electric car. In this case, they used the sound of a F1 monopost, which for me personally is not the most suitable sound for a rally car. But they are working on something like this. So I think that with development, it's just matter of time. As you set the engine power between 125 - 450 ccm on electric bike, you will probably set the sound of 2-Stroke, 4-Stroke. And maybe in a few years, sound will be way more improved.

Hor-ri-ble!
This thing sounds like CRAP.
RCMXracing
3/30/2022 11:02am
I’m as big a gear head as anyone, ICE exhaust noise adds to the visceral feeling of riding a motorcycle no doubt. I’ve given this some thought and I don’t believe it’s as important as most of us think and here’s why… downhill mountain biking.

If you’ve done it you know that the speed, catching air, ripping turns and hollering at your buds puts a big grin on your face. Still get an adrenaline rush, can still crash, can always improve. It’s a challenge and it’s physical. That’s what matter most.
3/30/2022 11:51am Edited Date/Time 3/30/2022 11:53am
I've owned 2 Altas and 2 gas bikes at the same time.

One of those gas bikes, a 2015 KX 450, had the loudest stock exhaust i've ever heard. On my gas bikes, i'd always have to wear ear plugs so that my ears weren't ringing after a moto, and also so the tinnitus in my right ear (caused by years of riding loud motorcycles without ear plugs) doesn't get worse. Those of you who wear earplugs know how much better it is riding with them. Your mind is a little more clear and you can better focus on your riding, yet you can still hear enough to hear the bike and other bikes around you. The tradeoff is that they make your ear canals a bit sore after a full day worth of motoing.

On the Altas, I never need to wear ear plugs. I can also ride in places that would otherwise make the general public unhappy since they can't hear me. Braaaap Braaaap Braaaap is not a very pleasant sound to people outside of the motorcycle scene.

Less noise is a good thing. I'd argue that I enjoy riding more with less noise.
VicDaMoan03
3/30/2022 12:06pm
I like the fact that its built around the existing chassis and isn't specialty built. Ideally I would like to see electric as a power train option among others, and not al=n all in proposition. I hope this approach sticks/works.
akmx17
3/30/2022 12:57pm
The entire E motorcycle thing is forced, and the market isn't there demanding it.
Would strongly disagree.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
3/30/2022 1:09pm
That track was sweet. Most of the time when I see a Japanese track its a mud fest.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/31/2022 8:35am
The entire E motorcycle thing is forced, and the market isn't there demanding it.
akmx17 wrote:
Would strongly disagree.
Me too. I want one.
kNewc
3/31/2022 10:43am Edited Date/Time 3/31/2022 10:44am

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, honestly. If I want a 2 stroke or 4 stroke noise, I'll ride a 2 stroke or...
I was thinking the exact same as you...but read through this thread. Half the guys can't get over the sound...this is the manufacturer solution. I love all aspects of electric bikes, they sound just as good as my 250f with an FMF pipe (to me). I appreciate what powers both.
b_kowalsk
3/31/2022 11:06am
It's not like these things don't make any sound at all. It's just different, and much, much quieter.
As crazy as it sounds, I think the thing I will miss the most will be not having a clutch...
3/31/2022 12:28pm
No clutch, no bueno. I wouldn't ride anything without having the ability to instantly cut power to the drivetrain (thinking about technical riding and whisky throttle moments)
RaceFace58
3/31/2022 1:43pm
b_kowalsk wrote:
It's not like these things don't make any sound at all. It's just different, and much, much quieter. As crazy as it sounds, I think the...
It's not like these things don't make any sound at all. It's just different, and much, much quieter.
As crazy as it sounds, I think the thing I will miss the most will be not having a clutch...
They’ll learn soon enough the ability to clutch is necessary. The clutch is your friend.
sandtrack315
3/31/2022 3:39pm
Would be cool if the left hand rear break could cut off power when totally engaged, sort of like an emergency shut off if you get whiskey throttle.
davis224
Fantasy
165th
4/1/2022 3:12am
No clutch, no bueno. I wouldn't ride anything without having the ability to instantly cut power to the drivetrain (thinking about technical riding and whisky throttle...
No clutch, no bueno. I wouldn't ride anything without having the ability to instantly cut power to the drivetrain (thinking about technical riding and whisky throttle moments)
Yea, if only there was some kind of switch, maybe, that could kill the power in an emergency. We could put it on the handlebars, and make it easily pressible by your thumb.
Bearuno
4/1/2022 5:10am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2022 5:50am
Would be cool if the left hand rear break could cut off power when totally engaged, sort of like an emergency shut off if you get...
Would be cool if the left hand rear break could cut off power when totally engaged, sort of like an emergency shut off if you get whiskey throttle.
With regards to that, a variety of simple plunger or rocker switches that are in the lever / mastercylinder body have existed for many decades now. They were / are for brake light switches, or starter cut outs for safety regs.

It would not be hard to have one that was adjustable, mechanically, for engagement / cut out point. And, electronically.

davis224 idea is also a very simple thing.

Me? Besides those sorts of ideas, I would very much like something that replicated the action of a clutch, be it mechanical, or electric. As (I think, probably in the Stark Varg threads) I've said before, I survived a few years with the 1st generation Rekluse, with a LHRB, and No clutch lever, but things were /are much better with a little clutch lever just above the LHRB that I run on later Rekluses.

And, as an Off Roader, as against being an MXer nowadays, I'd put forward that I'd like, say, a 2 speed gearbox, if only for an (substantial) Overdrive to put the bike into, on 'transport' sections on a Long ride. Surely an E bike will use less 'juice', when just 'ticking' along, like an ICE engine does? But, maybe I'm just a Dumb Old Bear, of Very Small Brain ( AKA- Paddington Bear), and E motors don't use less energy, at lower revs?
4/1/2022 5:26am
No clutch, no bueno. I wouldn't ride anything without having the ability to instantly cut power to the drivetrain (thinking about technical riding and whisky throttle...
davis224 wrote:
Yea, if only there was some kind of switch, maybe, that could kill the power in an emergency. We could put it on the handlebars, and...
Yea, if only there was some kind of switch, maybe, that could kill the power in an emergency. We could put it on the handlebars, and make it easily pressible by your thumb.
The last thing I would want to be doing swapping through the whoops is looking for a button to push to cut the power. That makes no sense. Pulling in the clutch to save myself from whiskey throttle does though.
Buckland
4/1/2022 6:32am
davis224 wrote:
Yea, if only there was some kind of switch, maybe, that could kill the power in an emergency. We could put it on the handlebars, and...
The last thing I would want to be doing swapping through the whoops is looking for a button to push to cut the power. That makes...
The last thing I would want to be doing swapping through the whoops is looking for a button to push to cut the power. That makes no sense. Pulling in the clutch to save myself from whiskey throttle does though.
A clutch lever could depress a simple switch to cut power, or even modulate it depending on the device. Wouldn't be very difficult to do, but aside from losing control of the throttle not really necessary.
stone881
4/1/2022 6:59am
b_kowalsk wrote:
It's not like these things don't make any sound at all. It's just different, and much, much quieter. As crazy as it sounds, I think the...
RaceFace58 wrote:
They’ll learn soon enough the ability to clutch is necessary. The clutch is your friend.
So you are saying that Hill and Tortelli can't ride a bike at full potential without a clutch? Remember this bike has massive torque and so doesn't need to be clutched out of certain situations and also can't stall, so one could apply brake and power at the same time.
davis224
Fantasy
165th
4/1/2022 7:07am
davis224 wrote:
The last thing I would want to be doing swapping through the whoops is looking for a button to push to cut the power. That makes...
You said you wanted to instantly cut it. Plus, wouldn't you be gassing it to stop swapping, not cutting power? Either way, a lever to modulate power seems like it would be an easy aftermarket add on, or just use a left hand rear brake.

Post a reply to: Mugen Honda E-REX

The Latest