Muddy Memories

Rupert X
Edited Date/Time 6/3/2013 8:15pm
We got there early - about 0745, seemed like it could be a PAIN to get in there, if you were tardy.

Left about 40 minutes after podium, minor traffic, to the highway in about 20 minutes...

Somebody said that YOU COULD purchase beer there, I never did see it, vendors were mostly up on top of

hill, hard to find anything to drink in other places. They desperately needed vendors to the right side of the

start area - there was nothing available until a 300 yard walk up the hill.

The track seemed pretty familiar from the last time I was there, with a few new sections added in.

It appeared like they planned out a LOOOOONG downhill sweeper as a possible different configuration.

Most people, including this writer - seemed pretty stoked on the whole dealio, a tremendous effort and

very appealing venue,

I must apologize if, indeed, you could buy BEER there, again, I never did see beer sales, perhaps they were keeping

it on the DL. Didn't see many drunks or rowdies, a very quiet crowd. Not near as many women as High-Point or

Red Bud, but it seemed like a very big crowd, just somewhat of a " Der Sausage Fest."

Got my RACER-X sticker and, oddly, it doesn't say Muddy Creek or Blountville on the thing.... Perplexing.

That little uphill double thingey after the mechanics section gave many fits, bouncing back up the start hill.

The track was a deep Brownie Batter for practice and hardpack gnarliness by late afternoon, 'twas motocross.

I did think the track was hard to pass on, and somewhat one-lined, but the best made their passes when it

mattered. The roller thingey on the side of the hill is simply spectacular from a fans perspective.

My lemon shake up thingey, for $7 - needed more ice and less sugar, I never did the $3 refill in protest.

Cool to see a two-smoker make it in - go Robby, go 2 stroke.

The facility needs to rethink the spectator areas, perhaps open up more of the infield sections and permit closer

access near the far end (behind and to right of start), and, of course plant more grass and install some shade trees.

The bikes seemed FAR louder than SUPERCROSS - are there different requirements for outdoors ?

The 2 stroke wasn't quite loud enough, he sniffed.

My hotel, the Double Tree in Johnson City seemed to have most of the teams, stars and nutjobs like me.

Both Rick Carmichaels were holding court, as was Mitch, Bones & all the cool people.

It was HOT, not too muggy with an intermittent breeze, with many a Southern drawl, yet lacking spittoons.

Many, many privateers, from all over, trying to qualify, we like that.

That giant UPHILL triple thingey ? In the morning moisture, just a few 450's hitting it, by midafternoon,

the entire top-ten 250 class was clearing it. A few bounces, but it appeared forgiving (?)

RV made some SICK passes, one on 41 past the mechanics section and another on 7 on that

delicious downhill double. That dude scares me, currently he can start anywhere and find his way to the

front, #2 is riding at a whole 'nother level...

Barcia flew his own plane in ? Bam-Bam >? Really ? Really ? No, really ?

I think if a couple guys get to wear NIKE boots, they should be available for everyone. Dammit.

That girl sung that National Anthem as slow as a PW50 in Denver. WOW.

Never seen a long religious sermon before a race before, except at Muddy Creek.

Somebody introduce Roczen's boot handler to the world of duct-tape. Please ?

Pretty cool to see Musquin win, especially after I brought him over from Moscow...

Lots of great racing at a badass new track. Plant more grass, get more shade, supply more vendors,

get more beer and I'll be back in 2014. High 5 !

* On the long 6 plus hours drive home, in my son's new Prius (51 mpg !! ), it occurred to me that I like a day off after

the National. So yeah, maybe Saturdays are OK, after all. I still think you'd get a better crowd on Sunday, but

WHATEV, I'm over trying to save the world, I just want a 2014 CRF 250 and some tasty IPA's and I'll be fine.

On to Morris Mountain Creek, see ya there, me buckos.
|
Rupert X
6/3/2013 5:59pm
O h yeah, did Ryan Dungey take that bigass Rifle-trophy thingey home on the plane with him ?

TSA cool with that ?

And I was so stoked to see Zach Osborne so stoked. Lost of stoking.

As Kevin Windham breezed by, I wondered why he hadn't drifted off to Hollywood ?

He seems far too distinguished and leading-man, for our filthy sport.

And, I miss Mr. Smoothie riding.
ocscottie
6/3/2013 7:53pm
Hey Ruper'licious, you wouldnt by any chance, or know of someone that does....have a spare T-shirt from the event would ya?

I saw a pic and that #94 guy that i kinda root for is on it. Surely i may have something to trade for it laying around here somewhere. Dieing to get my hands on one of them!
ocscottie
6/3/2013 7:56pm
WHOA! wait just a second there Mister...did i read this part right?

"* On the long 6 plus hours drive home, in my son's new Prius (51 mpg !! ), it occurred to me that I like a day off after the National. So yeah, maybe Saturdays are OK"

...and there was no beer, color me shocked! Woohoo

The Shop

hillbilly
6/3/2013 8:15pm
Wish i would have run into you rup,could have helped you out on that cold bev.

Post a reply to: Muddy Memories

The Latest