Mud and clutches

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
With races like last night a big issue was riders either burning up clutches and stalling. My big question is do some riders use a rekluse auto clutch and in not why?

In a situation where keeping the motor going and stalling are a big issue it seems like something to keep on hand
|
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
2/3/2019 1:05pm
Barcia came into the home plate corner and got in the rut, revved the bike up and it sounded like his clutch exploded. It just instantly stopped forward momentum, no slipping before or anything.
I’ve had fiber plates shatter before on my YZ450, but not in 3 laps.
Premix
2/3/2019 1:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2019 1:43pm
Hardly any pro’s run the auto Rekluse’s, even off road in GNCC. They will just run the cover, which does have some benefits such as oil capacity. There is some slippage until the unit locks up, which may be an odd feel for those guys. I’d imagine probably a bit more heat as well with a Rekluse vs a normal setup at their speed
2/3/2019 1:37pm
Premix wrote:
Hardly any pro’s run the auto Rekluse’s, even off road in GNCC. They will just run the cover, which does have some benefits such as oil...
Hardly any pro’s run the auto Rekluse’s, even off road in GNCC. They will just run the cover, which does have some benefits such as oil capacity. There is some slippage until the unit locks up, which may be an odd feel for those guys. I’d imagine probably a bit more heat as well with a Rekluse vs a normal setup at their speed
Not true, many pros run Rekluse in Supercross, MX and off road, just most of them run the manual set up and not the auto. Not sure if any high caliber riders use the auto set up.
2/3/2019 1:39pm
With races like last night a big issue was riders either burning up clutches and stalling. My big question is do some riders use a rekluse...
With races like last night a big issue was riders either burning up clutches and stalling. My big question is do some riders use a rekluse auto clutch and in not why?

In a situation where keeping the motor going and stalling are a big issue it seems like something to keep on hand
The rekluse would make the problem far worse.

The issue is the pros are constantly slipping their clutch on purpose. It builds lots of heat - and the mud caking up, slow velocities of bike also cook the bike

The really good mud riders (experienced and smart/experienced ones) are NOT slipping their clutch and dont have problem

On a cable type clutch, as your clutch wears out it tightens at the lever. This is bad for the non knowledgeable/aware riders as it then causes the clutch to slip while lever is “out”. The good is that riders can know the slack went away - adjust to get it back and know they are burning up the clutch

The hydro clutch keeps a fairly constant “play” and doesnt make a rider aware his clutch is wearing out. So they keep on using it same way and dont know its wearing then boom its done

A rekluse constantly slips in my testing until quite a high rpm (rpm sensative lock up)
So it would build a ton of heat very quickly. And the rider has no control over the slippage

I have had a lot of bikes come through the shop with rekluse owners who smoke their clutches because they think its a magic device that allows you to leave a bike in 3d or 4th in 1st gear sections and just let it slip

They dont realize fundamentally it still has clutch plates that can wear

The Shop

Premix
2/3/2019 1:42pm
Not true, many pros run Rekluse in Supercross, MX and off road, just most of them run the manual set up and not the auto. Not...
Not true, many pros run Rekluse in Supercross, MX and off road, just most of them run the manual set up and not the auto. Not sure if any high caliber riders use the auto set up.
Correct. He was addressing the auto clutch as was I
cody41
2/3/2019 1:48pm
I’ve heard the auto clutch sucks and no one really uses it. The manual torq Drive is where it’s at.
zippytech
2/3/2019 2:57pm
I don't ride 4 stokes, but with all the power they have why do they slip the clutch.. Just stick it in the right gear and go?
kb228
2/3/2019 3:43pm
The auto clutches still slip the clutch. Only difference is its automatic instead of you doing it with the lever.
2/3/2019 3:50pm
With races like last night a big issue was riders either burning up clutches and stalling. My big question is do some riders use a rekluse...

The rekluse would make the problem far worse. The issue is the pros are constantly slipping their clutch on purpose. It builds lots of heat -...
The rekluse would make the problem far worse.

The issue is the pros are constantly slipping their clutch on purpose. It builds lots of heat - and the mud caking up, slow velocities of bike also cook the bike

The really good mud riders (experienced and smart/experienced ones) are NOT slipping their clutch and dont have problem

On a cable type clutch, as your clutch wears out it tightens at the lever. This is bad for the non knowledgeable/aware riders as it then causes the clutch to slip while lever is “out”. The good is that riders can know the slack went away - adjust to get it back and know they are burning up the clutch

The hydro clutch keeps a fairly constant “play” and doesnt make a rider aware his clutch is wearing out. So they keep on using it same way and dont know its wearing then boom its done

A rekluse constantly slips in my testing until quite a high rpm (rpm sensative lock up)
So it would build a ton of heat very quickly. And the rider has no control over the slippage

I have had a lot of bikes come through the shop with rekluse owners who smoke their clutches because they think its a magic device that allows you to leave a bike in 3d or 4th in 1st gear sections and just let it slip

They dont realize fundamentally it still has clutch plates that can wear

Thank you for that detailed response!
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2797th
2/4/2019 2:37am
zippytech wrote:
I don't ride 4 stokes, but with all the power they have why do they slip the clutch.. Just stick it in the right gear and...
I don't ride 4 stokes, but with all the power they have why do they slip the clutch.. Just stick it in the right gear and go?
The 450s in particular are very prone to stalling in tight corners
Robgvx
2/4/2019 5:33am
Lots of misinformation about Rekluse auto clutches.

Post a reply to: Mud and clutches

The Latest