Moving up to 450

jonahc_42
Edited Date/Time 6/23/2021 11:39pm
When is the correct time to move up from a 250 to a 450, I’ve been riding for about a a year and a half on my 250 2 stroke but I want a 4 stroke, When should I move up to a 450 or should I just go to a 250 4 stroke

I weigh 165 and I’m 6’0
|
kb228
6/23/2021 10:07am
Just get the 450… its really not that big of an upgrade from what you have
GD350
Fantasy
1525th
6/23/2021 10:29am
Never, buy a 350
motoGleamer
Fantasy
522nd
6/23/2021 10:29am
I personally think the 450 is easier to ride than the 250 2t. I still have my 250 and ride both for fun, but for going fast and hitting big jumps i prefer my 450. The 4 stroke engine is a much better engine than the 2 stroke in my opinion. It is much more versatile and much more consistent in my experience. Ive looped out wheelies on my 250 because the power hit is inconsistent and strong. I've also cased jumps on my 250 from getting inconsistent drive out of a corner or being a gear too high or low. On a 450, the engine for me just seems much more predictable and seems to have usable power for a much broader range of RPM. To me the biggest disadvantage to the 450 is the weight difference which I do find noticeable. I still think the 450 is the superior platform by miles though.
byke
6/23/2021 10:30am
It assumes a false "path", as if you ride bikes in a certain order. Instead, each bike has their strengths and weaknesses and you choose what you want and what you can live with. More rotating mass means more gyro effect and makes the bike feel heavier, but also means more power, then of course the inverse.

Which always makes the "what bike should I buy" a conundrum, because if you have to ask, then you don't know what you want, and if you don't know what you want, then none of us could possibly know what you want, which always seems to translate the question into a "WATS A KEWL BIKE U WANT" popularity contest, which is a terrible conversation for someone asking the question.

So, if you don't know what you want, then from me, the answer is always the same -> 250F, because it's a pretty safe choice for a newer rider and I don't want you out there whiskey'ing a 450 off something big and never riding again. I'd rather you were out there having fun and getting seat time and gaining skill, so that the next time you have this same question, you wouldn't even want to ask us idiots here on the interwebs.

The Shop

Timo
6/23/2021 10:37am
byke wrote:
It assumes a false "path", as if you ride bikes in a certain order. Instead, each bike has their strengths and weaknesses and you choose what...
It assumes a false "path", as if you ride bikes in a certain order. Instead, each bike has their strengths and weaknesses and you choose what you want and what you can live with. More rotating mass means more gyro effect and makes the bike feel heavier, but also means more power, then of course the inverse.

Which always makes the "what bike should I buy" a conundrum, because if you have to ask, then you don't know what you want, and if you don't know what you want, then none of us could possibly know what you want, which always seems to translate the question into a "WATS A KEWL BIKE U WANT" popularity contest, which is a terrible conversation for someone asking the question.

So, if you don't know what you want, then from me, the answer is always the same -> 250F, because it's a pretty safe choice for a newer rider and I don't want you out there whiskey'ing a 450 off something big and never riding again. I'd rather you were out there having fun and getting seat time and gaining skill, so that the next time you have this same question, you wouldn't even want to ask us idiots here on the interwebs.
Depending on which bikes you have, a 450F can feel smaller and/or lighter than a 250F. My 19 YZ450FX feels lighter than my 07 250F. Must be something to the mass centralization craze.
JBecker 72
6/23/2021 10:38am
I recently sold my 450 and went back to a 250F. Much happier on the smaller bike.
SoCalMX70
6/23/2021 10:39am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2021 10:41am
I personally think the 450 is easier to ride than the 250 2t. I still have my 250 and ride both for fun, but for going...
I personally think the 450 is easier to ride than the 250 2t. I still have my 250 and ride both for fun, but for going fast and hitting big jumps i prefer my 450. The 4 stroke engine is a much better engine than the 2 stroke in my opinion. It is much more versatile and much more consistent in my experience. Ive looped out wheelies on my 250 because the power hit is inconsistent and strong. I've also cased jumps on my 250 from getting inconsistent drive out of a corner or being a gear too high or low. On a 450, the engine for me just seems much more predictable and seems to have usable power for a much broader range of RPM. To me the biggest disadvantage to the 450 is the weight difference which I do find noticeable. I still think the 450 is the superior platform by miles though.
This is a good example of why some folks wad it up good on 450s. Can't properly control the power of a 2 stroke, meaning they haven't learned proper clutch technique (among other things). So, you buy a 450 because it's "easier". What are you going to do if that 60hp machine starts to get away from you?

Sorry to bag on you, but I can't imagine looping out on a 2 stroke and then think "it's ok, 450 will be easier".

Learning and getting a fast on a 2 stroke will make you a much better and SAFER rider on a 450.

Anyway, to answer the OP, if you feel you have good control over your bike and your technique is sound, get a 450. It will be "easier" to go faster...

I'd ride that 2 stroke for awhile longer though since you have only been at it 18 months.
AH387
6/23/2021 10:47am
byke wrote:
It assumes a false "path", as if you ride bikes in a certain order. Instead, each bike has their strengths and weaknesses and you choose what...

I think this is very well said and I pretty much agree. That being said, if you feel like the 250F is a little too tame (which it may feel like, coming from a 250 2stroke) then a 350 is a great happy medium. They like to rev, have a lighter rotational mass feel than a 450, so the handling with at least be a little closer to your current bike. Like someone else mentioned, I prefer a 450 to a 250 2stroke just because of consistency. But 450s still tire me out and I don't like how they feel in turns because of the gyro feel. So if that isn't a problem for you, then a 450 is great. If you think that is something that you will not like, then consider a 250F or 350, since they have less of that feel (for a 4stroke.)
Speeddemon73
6/23/2021 10:59am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2021 11:02am
jonahc_42 wrote:
When is the correct time to move up from a 250 to a 450, I’ve been riding for about a a year and a half on...
When is the correct time to move up from a 250 to a 450, I’ve been riding for about a a year and a half on my 250 2 stroke but I want a 4 stroke, When should I move up to a 450 or should I just go to a 250 4 stroke

I weigh 165 and I’m 6’0
I'm not going to blindly tell you to go out and get a 450 because I don't want you blowing almost 10k on a bike unless it fits your needs. So let me ask you this, what are your current complaints about your 250 two-stroke that have you considering moving up to a 450 or switching to a 250F? I'll give you the honest truth, 450s are heavy powerful machines that are all business. If you are serious about racing and are generally a fit dude which by your weight tells me you are, then yes go for it. A 450 is not generally a bike I would consider to be "fun." However, if you are a weekend warrior who just likes to practice and have fun on the bike then there are two options I would consider. First, the cheapest option would be to just send your head and cylinder out to a reputable shop and have it ported and cut for the fuel you want to run. If more power is what you're after, that is the route I would go and have from personal experience. Second, would be to go to a 350. A 350 will rev like your two-stroke and make power close to a 450. Guys l know locally that went from a 450 to a 350 tell me don't think about it just do it because they are so much fun and very competitive. Plus, not as heavy as a 450. The 250f option you mention I think won't really offer you anything over your 250 two-stroke other than more torque. You're still going to have to rev it and ride it like a raped ape to make power. Rebuilds on your 250f are going to cost more than your 250 two-stroke and if you plan on doing any engine mods you'll be dancing a fine line with reliability. If this helps any further, I have a YZ450f and an 07' CR250 with a Pro-Circuit built motor. My 450 stays in the barn unless I'm going to a national-size track. My 250 is leaps and bounds more fun, lighter, and always makes me smile. At some point, I will be selling my 450 to downsize to a 350 to race in the 30+b/c class this year when I turn 30.
fourfourone
6/23/2021 11:01am
What kind of riding do you do? Also are you riding the 250 or are you RIDING the 250. What I mean is are you really pushing the 250 when you ride it, Or are you a casual rider who is just putting around. Tell us more about your ability and what you ride.

I am no pro by any means but know my way around an MX track. I went from a KTM 250 2 stroke to a 250 four stroke, to a 450, and now looking to go back to a 250 4 stroke as it was the most fun to ride and I feel faster on a 250 four stroke.
jonahc_42
6/23/2021 11:36am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2021 6:25pm
thank everybody for the responses i didnt expect that but to answer some questions i dont like how much i have to wind out my bike to hit jumps that being said I love the feeling of having it scream going through turns and in straights I just hate when you have to go into a slow turn and it isn’t right into the power band, i ride thunder valley and other tracks across colorado and i just dont like how you have to keep it so high in the rpms to be "fast". i race hair scrambles/enduro and motocross on the yz250 atleast once a month but i want to set it up just for hair scramble type races and have a 4 stroke for motocross. I rode my friends kx250 4 stroke and loved where the power is and how consistant it is but i dont like how little power there is.
motoGleamer
Fantasy
522nd
6/23/2021 11:42am
I personally think the 450 is easier to ride than the 250 2t. I still have my 250 and ride both for fun, but for going...
SoCalMX70 wrote:
This is a good example of why some folks wad it up good on 450s. Can't properly control the power of a 2 stroke, meaning they...
This is a good example of why some folks wad it up good on 450s. Can't properly control the power of a 2 stroke, meaning they haven't learned proper clutch technique (among other things). So, you buy a 450 because it's "easier". What are you going to do if that 60hp machine starts to get away from you?

Sorry to bag on you, but I can't imagine looping out on a 2 stroke and then think "it's ok, 450 will be easier".

Learning and getting a fast on a 2 stroke will make you a much better and SAFER rider on a 450.

Anyway, to answer the OP, if you feel you have good control over your bike and your technique is sound, get a 450. It will be "easier" to go faster...

I'd ride that 2 stroke for awhile longer though since you have only been at it 18 months.
Lol, buddy you know nothing about me. I ride at altitude and I'm 210+ lbs. Depending on track conditions, it can be difficult to get the 250's power down because its so much more sensitive to the RPMs and traction. This has nothing to do with clutch modulation. Its a simple function of traction and engine characteristics. If you want to risk this when hitting a large step-up or triple then have at it.

Specifically when it comes to wheelies though, the 2 stroke engine is simply tougher to balance because the power is much more unpredictable and there is a mid/top end hit that the 4 stroke doesn't have. When you're already at balance point and you're up-shifting during a wheelie, it doesn't take much to put you past balance point. There is no amount of clutch modulation or braking that is going to save you when the top end suddenly hits and throw you off the back of the bike. If you can't imagine why the 2 stroke might be more difficult to wheelie as a result of this, then I'm not sure what to tell you.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
6/23/2021 11:43am
At altitude you probably want at least a 350. Warning if you get a 350 and wind up trying it in a hare scramble you may sell your two stroke.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/23/2021 11:53am
Move when you feel you are ready. If you've ridden a friend's 450 and think you can handle it, have at it.

To all the commenters on here: the OP has been riding a 250 smoker for a year and a half... that thing would have killed him by now if he wasn't a good enough rider for a 450. The 2-stroke is nearly as powerful and only half as predictable.
Moto520
6/23/2021 12:04pm
450.....the engine should last forever and you will adjust to the power. Take her easy and don't jump anything over your skill level.
Press516
Fantasy
126th
6/23/2021 12:08pm
GD350 wrote:
Never, buy a 350
This would be the correct answer.
6/23/2021 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2021 12:28pm
I own and ride both. For fun, challenge, excitement, sound and smell my 250 2t is awesome but only for the first 3 laps. For lower lap times, lazy riding, longer moto's and safety I'll take my 450 4t all day long. I like both for different reasons. Bottom line is you will have the same single best lap times on a 125, 250, 350 or 450. You are who you are. The bike is not holding you back. After doing this for 30yrs I believe it's 99% rider 1% bike.
motoGleamer
Fantasy
522nd
6/23/2021 12:24pm
I question if people who think a 450 has too much power if they've ever spent much time on a 250 2 stroke. The two bikes make similar peak horsepower and when you account for weight difference they are almost identical in terms of lb/HP.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
6/23/2021 12:51pm
I question if people who think a 450 has too much power if they've ever spent much time on a 250 2 stroke. The two bikes...
I question if people who think a 450 has too much power if they've ever spent much time on a 250 2 stroke. The two bikes make similar peak horsepower and when you account for weight difference they are almost identical in terms of lb/HP.
I don’t know about that. I went from a 300 2 stroke to a 450 and then to a 250 2 stroke. The 250 and 300 were somewhat similar and they certainly have a hit that will try to loop out but if you just go full throttle about where those two strokes stop pulling around 45 hp or so that 450 goes ahead and pulls another 10hp and I could sure feel it.

OP is at altitude though so I would expect that to help tame down the 450 a little and a 250 thumper will probably feel pretty winded unless it has had some engine work done to it. I would expect a 350 to feel about the same at altitude as a 250 at sea level.
Deadric
Fantasy
4135th
6/23/2021 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2021 1:22pm
I question if people who think a 450 has too much power if they've ever spent much time on a 250 2 stroke. The two bikes...
Completely different animals though because of how and when that power is delivered. My 350 puts out basically the same HP as a 450 but again its how its delivered that makes it much easier to ride than a 450. Flip side of that though is I generally assume the average two stroke rider is in better shape than us lazy four stroke guys so that may not be an issue anyways.

OP not really sure theres any one correct answer to your question though. I spent 10 years on a 250F before moving to a 350. The easy answer is whenever you feel you're ready for it. Before you make that decision though see if you can hit up a demo day or see if you can get your hands on one for a few practice rounds.That be the best way.
jonahc_42
6/23/2021 2:10pm
Thanks for all the reply’s! Now for the real question which new 450 is the best Wink
PNWRider
6/23/2021 2:43pm
And the 2-stroke makes that power quicker, over a narrower RPM band.

IMO, where folks get into trouble on a 450 is to ride it like a 250 2-stroke (gun and run, rowing the gearbox, etc). They share far more with a 500 2-stroke in terms of short-shifting and riding the torque vs RPM. 250 2-strokes (unless set up for woods with a heavy flywheel etc) can only be described as spastic.
SoCalMX70
6/23/2021 3:01pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2021 3:14pm
PNWRider wrote:
And the 2-stroke makes that power quicker, over a narrower RPM band. IMO, where folks get into trouble on a 450 is to ride it like...

IMO, where folks get into trouble on a 450 is to ride it like a 250 2-stroke (gun and run, rowing the gearbox, etc). They share far more with a 500 2-stroke in terms of short-shifting and riding the torque vs RPM. 250 2-strokes (unless set up for woods with a heavy flywheel etc) can only be described as spastic.
450s make 8-10hp more peak hp. It's not even close anymore.

Where people get into trouble on a 450 is not having fundamental techniques down to control their bike properly and instinctively know what to do when they start to get a little out of shape.

Also, the Keefer article (from pulp) linked above kind of says it best. You need to be in shape and on your game to ride a 450 properly (for more than a few laps).

Edit: Also, spastic? The KTM 250 2 strokes certainly have more of a mid range hit then fall on top. The YZ is super broad and easy to ride, with a long top end. I wouldn't call either spastic. Power valves have been around a very long time.
motoGleamer
Fantasy
522nd
6/23/2021 3:12pm
PNWRider wrote:
And the 2-stroke makes that power quicker, over a narrower RPM band. IMO, where folks get into trouble on a 450 is to ride it like...

SoCalMX70 wrote:
450s make 8-10hp more peak hp. It's not even close anymore. Where people get into trouble on a 450 is not having fundamental techniques down to...
450s make 8-10hp more peak hp. It's not even close anymore.

Where people get into trouble on a 450 is not having fundamental techniques down to control their bike properly and instinctively know what to do when they start to get a little out of shape.

Also, the Keefer article (from pulp) linked above kind of says it best. You need to be in shape and on your game to ride a 450 properly (for more than a few laps).

Edit: Also, spastic? The KTM 250 2 strokes certainly have more of a mid range hit then fall on top. The YZ is super broad and easy to ride, with a long top end. I wouldn't call either spastic. Power valves have been around a very long time.
450s also weigh 20lbs more. Do the math on hp/lb They are similar enough.

And as far as being in shape, a 2 stroke is much more demanding to ride fast. If it wasn't then all the pros would be on them.

Do you ride a 450 made within the last 5 years? They are excellent vet bikes. Im not sure why they have such a fanboy hatred following. Did a 450 touch you inappropriately when you were a child?
SoCalMX70
6/23/2021 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2021 3:41pm
450s also weigh 20lbs more. Do the math on hp/lb They are similar enough. And as far as being in shape, a 2 stroke is much...

And as far as being in shape, a 2 stroke is much more demanding to ride fast. If it wasn't then all the pros would be on them.

Do you ride a 450 made within the last 5 years? They are excellent vet bikes. Im not sure why they have such a fanboy hatred following. Did a 450 touch you inappropriately when you were a child?
10hp is not similar. You even take gate drops? A 450 will out pull a 250 2 stroke 100% of the time.

A 2 stroke demands more skill, yes. Edit: Of course pros will race a faster and more advanced bike. Whats your point?

I'm buying a '22 CRF 450. I owned a RMZ years ago. So, wtf are you going on about? Where did I say 450s were bad? They're bad in the hands of people who lack the skill/technique to ride them. If you're looping out and casing jumps on a 250 2 stroke you have no business being on a 450. Period.

But please, tell us more about how no amount of skill/technique will save you from looping out like a spode.
SoCalMX70
6/23/2021 3:34pm
jonahc_42 wrote:
Thanks for all the reply’s! Now for the real question which new 450 is the best Wink
They're all great bikes! Find a good deal.
motoGleamer
Fantasy
522nd
6/23/2021 3:37pm
450s also weigh 20lbs more. Do the math on hp/lb They are similar enough. And as far as being in shape, a 2 stroke is much...

SoCalMX70 wrote:
10hp is not similar. You even take gate drops? A 450 will out pull a 250 2 stroke 100% of the time. A 2 stroke demands...
10hp is not similar. You even take gate drops? A 450 will out pull a 250 2 stroke 100% of the time.

A 2 stroke demands more skill, yes. Edit: Of course pros will race a faster and more advanced bike. Whats your point?

I'm buying a '22 CRF 450. I owned a RMZ years ago. So, wtf are you going on about? Where did I say 450s were bad? They're bad in the hands of people who lack the skill/technique to ride them. If you're looping out and casing jumps on a 250 2 stroke you have no business being on a 450. Period.

But please, tell us more about how no amount of skill/technique will save you from looping out like a spode.
That's because the power curve of the 4 stroke is much better in addition to offering some more hp.

But beyond that, you don't even own a 450 and you're giving advice on it. I own 2 450s and a 250 2t all made within the last 5 years.

And yea I'm looping out wheelies and casing jumps so what? You're gonna crash if you're pushing yourself. I guess you're the one rider thats never cased a jump or crashed. Kudos bro. You gonna shit on James Stewart too because he crashes and you dont?

But please continue to give your advice on a bike you don't even own. "Bro I heard from kefer that these 450s are too powerful" lmao
SoCalMX70
6/23/2021 3:50pm
That's because the power curve of the 4 stroke is much better in addition to offering some more hp. But beyond that, you don't even own...
That's because the power curve of the 4 stroke is much better in addition to offering some more hp.

But beyond that, you don't even own a 450 and you're giving advice on it. I own 2 450s and a 250 2t all made within the last 5 years.

And yea I'm looping out wheelies and casing jumps so what? You're gonna crash if you're pushing yourself. I guess you're the one rider thats never cased a jump or crashed. Kudos bro. You gonna shit on James Stewart too because he crashes and you dont?

But please continue to give your advice on a bike you don't even own. "Bro I heard from kefer that these 450s are too powerful" lmao
You're all over the place... I've ridden every brand out there in the last 2 years. Its nice to have friends at the track. I own and race a YZ250 currently. Once again I'm picking up a '22 450. I've owned plenty of bikes over the years and don't have any issue with any type or brand.

My advice was 2 fold... A 2 stroke will make you a better rider because it forces you to learn some valuable techniques. The other part was telling the OP to get a 450 if he feels up to it.

Have a nice day.
6/23/2021 4:04pm
The 450 is best when you hold it wide open in corners, power dump the clutch while holding the map switch and kill switch at the same time. It double over rides the traction control and smokes the rear tire in the dirt. Then go 2nd gear to 4th, always skip 3rd gear because it bogs in 3rd.

Post a reply to: Moving up to 450

The Latest