Moving to NJ

Freddyfred
Hi!

Having spent a year in FL and a handful of years in the Midwest, my next journey is taking me to NJ.
I was interested to find out what the riding is like up there.
What tracks are worth going to within a 3-4 hour driving distance from Tinton Falls?
How long is the riding season and where does everyone go in winter?

Cheers/ Fred
|
yz133rider
4/17/2022 7:09am
Freddyfred wrote:
Hi! Having spent a year in FL and a handful of years in the Midwest, my next journey is taking me to NJ. I was interested...
Hi!

Having spent a year in FL and a handful of years in the Midwest, my next journey is taking me to NJ.
What tracks are worth going to within a 3-4 hour driving distance from Tinton Falls?

Cheers/ Fred
Budds creek; tomahawk mx, Rocket raceway mx, field of dreams, raceway park. Tomahawk and budds are my absolute favorites. Feel free to message if need anything or wanna meet up sometime at the track.
Freddyfred
4/17/2022 7:15am
Freddyfred wrote:
Hi! Having spent a year in FL and a handful of years in the Midwest, my next journey is taking me to NJ. I was interested...
Hi!

Cheers/ Fred
yz133rider wrote:
Budds creek; tomahawk mx, Rocket raceway mx, field of dreams, raceway park. Tomahawk and budds are my absolute favorites. Feel free to message if need anything...
Budds creek; tomahawk mx, Rocket raceway mx, field of dreams, raceway park. Tomahawk and budds are my absolute favorites. Feel free to message if need anything or wanna meet up sometime at the track.
Many thanks!
We’re not moving until late September but will return to this thread and take you up on that offer Smile
JBecker 72
4/17/2022 7:28am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2022 7:30am
I don’t live in NJ, but I can confirm Budds Creek and Tomahawk are excellent places to ride. I hope you like deep tracks that get very rough quickly. Tomahawk could be a pro national track if it weren’t for the roads in and out of there being so sketchy. But that’s where a lot of LL qualifiers are and the WV state championships. Only ridden Rocket raceway once (MX23 unleashed was what it was called when I went), but had a ton of fun there as well. It was a lot harder packed and easier to ride that day than other tracks in the area. Not sure if that’s the norm there.
DuroTools
4/17/2022 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2022 12:43pm
You are actually in a decent location. You're a half hour from Englishtown ( Raceway park) which is a great track IMO and I would love to be a half hour from it plus you are 1hr 45 min from Millville ( Field of Dreams) which has an awesome main track, a Vet track and SX track and it's open year round weather permitting. Also open year round besides Budds Creek and Tomahawk already mentioned you have Snake Creek under 3 hrs away and 10th st MX a little over 2 hrs which is a small but fun track in Long Island.

Not open year round but within 2 hrs North you have Walden which was just had a huge track overhaul and is rarely open but a great track. Holiday Mountain which is a crazy sand track literally built into the side of a ski slope and has some fun elevation changes that will be like nothing you have probably ridden in FL or possibly the midwest depending where in Midwest you are from. also about 2 hrs is Orange County Fair MX (OCFMX).

If you are willing to travel about 3.75 to 4 hrs you can keep going into Mass and you will have about another 4 tracks; 508 Int'l , MX23, Cor mx, and Crow Hill. Upstate NY about 3.5 hrs is Diamond back.
I live in CT and although we have Zero public Mx tracks in the entire state, all around us in every direction there are tracks so I have at least 15 tracks within a day trip driving distance.

The Shop

sandtrack315
4/17/2022 1:31pm
Field of Dreams, Englishtown, Budds Creek, Tomahawk, Southwick, Snake Creek, Dutchman. Lot's of tracks within 4 hours.

There are two sand pits pretty close to you.

Weather sucks from late December to early March, but otherwise, I love living and ride here. I just do maintenance stuff and take a break in the winter. Budds Creek and Tomahawk are far enough south you can ride there with some thick gloves. Sand pits are also decent if it's a mild winter. Basically, if you are tough, and really want to ride, you can get it done almost year round.
JBecker 72
4/17/2022 3:05pm
DuroTools wrote:
You are actually in a decent location. You're a half hour from Englishtown ( Raceway park) which is a great track IMO and I would love...
You are actually in a decent location. You're a half hour from Englishtown ( Raceway park) which is a great track IMO and I would love to be a half hour from it plus you are 1hr 45 min from Millville ( Field of Dreams) which has an awesome main track, a Vet track and SX track and it's open year round weather permitting. Also open year round besides Budds Creek and Tomahawk already mentioned you have Snake Creek under 3 hrs away and 10th st MX a little over 2 hrs which is a small but fun track in Long Island.

Not open year round but within 2 hrs North you have Walden which was just had a huge track overhaul and is rarely open but a great track. Holiday Mountain which is a crazy sand track literally built into the side of a ski slope and has some fun elevation changes that will be like nothing you have probably ridden in FL or possibly the midwest depending where in Midwest you are from. also about 2 hrs is Orange County Fair MX (OCFMX).

If you are willing to travel about 3.75 to 4 hrs you can keep going into Mass and you will have about another 4 tracks; 508 Int'l , MX23, Cor mx, and Crow Hill. Upstate NY about 3.5 hrs is Diamond back.
I live in CT and although we have Zero public Mx tracks in the entire state, all around us in every direction there are tracks so I have at least 15 tracks within a day trip driving distance.
Yeah living in the mid Atlantic area we never really stop riding in the winter. I’ve ridden Tomahawk when it was snowing. You just throw on a pair of insulated gloves, neck gator, and a flannel long sleeve and enjoy the ride.
sandtrack315
4/17/2022 3:12pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
Yeah living in the mid Atlantic area we never really stop riding in the winter. I’ve ridden Tomahawk when it was snowing. You just throw on...
Yeah living in the mid Atlantic area we never really stop riding in the winter. I’ve ridden Tomahawk when it was snowing. You just throw on a pair of insulated gloves, neck gator, and a flannel long sleeve and enjoy the ride.
motorick5052
4/17/2022 3:28pm
Hey guys!
This thread definitely strikes a chord with me too!
The wife and I are tentatively/potentially planning to travel out to northeastern Maryland for an extended summer stay with our son & his wife’s family and I was wondering about MX tracks in that region as well!

We’ll be staying with them in Port Deposit Md and I was planning to take the MX bike & a dual sport hoping to do some fun riding while there!
I know that’s in close proximity to Delaware, New Jersey & Pennsylvania and was hoping there was some good moto to be enjoyed!
And for what its worth, planning to bring the XC mountainbike and hoping there is some good singletrack cross country MTB riding within close proximity too?!

I’m looking forward to riding some new tracks and seeing some of the incredible historic sites in that part of the country!
There isn’t much history here in the land of the redneck (Oklahoma, my home state and where I’ve lived every day of my 56 years!) thats much older than the mid-late 1800/early 1900’s so I’m looking forward to seeing some of the colonial, pre-civil & civil war era history in that part of our country!
Vital insight is always good and always appreciated!
sandtrack315
4/17/2022 3:30pm
Hey guys! This thread definitely strikes a chord with me too! The wife and I are tentatively/potentially planning to travel out to northeastern Maryland for an...
Hey guys!
This thread definitely strikes a chord with me too!
The wife and I are tentatively/potentially planning to travel out to northeastern Maryland for an extended summer stay with our son & his wife’s family and I was wondering about MX tracks in that region as well!

We’ll be staying with them in Port Deposit Md and I was planning to take the MX bike & a dual sport hoping to do some fun riding while there!
I know that’s in close proximity to Delaware, New Jersey & Pennsylvania and was hoping there was some good moto to be enjoyed!
And for what its worth, planning to bring the XC mountainbike and hoping there is some good singletrack cross country MTB riding within close proximity too?!

I’m looking forward to riding some new tracks and seeing some of the incredible historic sites in that part of the country!
There isn’t much history here in the land of the redneck (Oklahoma, my home state and where I’ve lived every day of my 56 years!) thats much older than the mid-late 1800/early 1900’s so I’m looking forward to seeing some of the colonial, pre-civil & civil war era history in that part of our country!
Vital insight is always good and always appreciated!
Wissahikon is pretty famous for MTB. I live walking distance from it. Def not what most people think of when they think of Philly ha.
motorick5052
4/17/2022 3:39pm
Awesome!
We’ll be staying in Cecil county Md which is the very northeast corner of Maryland! I know Delaware & Pennsylvania are only a short quick drive away!
I’m making a list of all these tracks & MTB trails and I will definitely check em out! 😎✅👍
Bromley686
4/17/2022 4:28pm
Another vote for tomahawk. It’s the only thing I miss about living in WV. Budds is awesome as well but I only rode it once.
sandtrack315
4/17/2022 4:49pm
Awesome! We’ll be staying in Cecil county Md which is the very northeast corner of Maryland! I know Delaware & Pennsylvania are only a short quick...
Awesome!
We’ll be staying in Cecil county Md which is the very northeast corner of Maryland! I know Delaware & Pennsylvania are only a short quick drive away!
I’m making a list of all these tracks & MTB trails and I will definitely check em out! 😎✅👍
Yeah, that’s 1.5 hours from Field of Dreams and Wissahikon, both def worth that drive.
JBecker 72
4/17/2022 5:39pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
Yeah living in the mid Atlantic area we never really stop riding in the winter. I’ve ridden Tomahawk when it was snowing. You just throw on...
Those look nice. Might have to try a pair out next season.
mxer15
4/18/2022 6:16am
Lived in Jersey for years , used to be great for riding . Sand pits every where, woods etc. But no more, police impounding bikes , fines and all that. Etown the only real show in central NJ, all the tracks I read people listed here are nightmare drives . Good luck.
4/18/2022 7:17am
Awesome! We’ll be staying in Cecil county Md which is the very northeast corner of Maryland! I know Delaware & Pennsylvania are only a short quick...
Awesome!
I'm also in Cecil County right on the Delaware border. In Cecil County is Fair Hill NMRA which has tons of XC mountain biking trails, and you have White Clay Creek park just over the border in Delaware with plenty of flowy trails. There are tons of other places for MTB within a few hours as well.

If you want to ride local outlaw trails and pits, and possibly some private tracks/trails, you can hit me up and I'll show you around. The closest public MX tracks were already mentioned with the exception of Pagoda (in Birdsboro, PA) and The Landing (in Easton, MD).
yz133rider
4/18/2022 7:47am
mxer15 wrote:
Lived in Jersey for years , used to be great for riding . Sand pits every where, woods etc. But no more, police impounding bikes...
Lived in Jersey for years , used to be great for riding . Sand pits every where, woods etc. But no more, police impounding bikes , fines and all that. Etown the only real show in central NJ, all the tracks I read people listed here are nightmare drives . Good luck.
Budds is a nightmare drive because traffic blows, but the others are easy cruising on the turnpike. Far, but not a nightmare drive.
Broughton859
4/18/2022 7:59am
I live in Burlington County NJ and I agree with most of the other guys here Field of Dreams and Etown are close and great and you also have Pagoda in PA that's open sometimes as well. Then you have the others people mentioned Snake Creek, Budds, Tomahawk plus a bunch of PA tracks as well but if I'm making that drive I would rather do Tomahawk or Budds. Traffic can be bad but it's Philly, NY, Baltimore, and DC all around us so what can you expect.

There's definitely a few sand pits but I don't know the majority of them and haven't ridden in any of the good ones. If you have a plated dirt bike there's a shit ton of single-track riding as well. NJ honestly is not bad and I'm from Kentucky so definitely not a local.
sandtrack315
4/18/2022 8:45am
mxer15 wrote:
Lived in Jersey for years , used to be great for riding . Sand pits every where, woods etc. But no more, police impounding bikes...
I get to Budds and Southwick in about three hours from northwest Philly. I get that’s a long drive, one I don’t do super often, but a lot of people would be happy to live that close to two of the greatest tracks in the county.

I ride the sand during the week, never even seen a cop.
Freddyfred
4/18/2022 9:12am
Thanks for all the tips!

I can't believe how spoiled I was living in Sweden with 5 tracks within an hour drive from my house and I refused to drive much further than that. Here in the US, a 2 hour drive is just for the "local" track. Last summer I drove for 3 days just to try some tracks in So Cal Smile

Looking forward to some sand tracks again Smile
motorick5052
4/18/2022 7:43pm
Awesome!
I'm also in Cecil County right on the Delaware border. In Cecil County is Fair Hill NMRA which has tons of XC mountain biking trails, and...
I'm also in Cecil County right on the Delaware border. In Cecil County is Fair Hill NMRA which has tons of XC mountain biking trails, and you have White Clay Creek park just over the border in Delaware with plenty of flowy trails. There are tons of other places for MTB within a few hours as well.

If you want to ride local outlaw trails and pits, and possibly some private tracks/trails, you can hit me up and I'll show you around. The closest public MX tracks were already mentioned with the exception of Pagoda (in Birdsboro, PA) and The Landing (in Easton, MD).
Awesome! Thanks for the MTB heads up too!
I’m really looking forward to the summer and trying out some of the MX in this region of the good ol’ US of A!

All of the info in this thread is very helpful/useful to me as well and I’ll definitely try to catch up with you Vital guys when I get out there and I’m able to head for the MX tracks & MTB trails!
Thanks to Freddyfred for making the original inquiry and to all the fella’s that posted the great info! 😎👍❗️
bayodome
Fantasy
4305th
4/19/2022 7:10am
Welcome to NJ! The riding areas are getting more and more limited, but what's out there is still top notch. The only two official, 100% above board tracks in the state are Englishtown and Field of Dreams.

Get in good with some locals and you'll learn about the myriad of sand pits near the shore and in South Jerz. If you can avoid any run-ins with the authorities, it's some of the most fun you'll ever have on a dirt bike. And if you don't know how to ride sand, you soon will learn!

I've ridden tracks in more than 30 states and even with the recent location switch of Englishtown from the old race track to what used to be the practice track, I would still rate the facility in the top 10% of tracks in the country.

Rode Field of Dreams recently too for the first time and they are doing some great stuff over there as well (pricey though). Nice sandy mix that can take rain very well.

Sounds like you're up for longer drives too, which opens your moto world up A LOT. Great PA tracks, as has already been mentioned. Old NY main stays like Binghamton and Walden Playboys, New England tracks and racing are top class, Budds Creek is epic... the list goes on.

Enjoy and welcome to the land of pork roll, Wawa and more municipalities than any single human could possibly comprehend!
Freddyfred
4/19/2022 7:24am
bayodome wrote:
Welcome to NJ! The riding areas are getting more and more limited, but what's out there is still top notch. The only two official, 100% above...
Welcome to NJ! The riding areas are getting more and more limited, but what's out there is still top notch. The only two official, 100% above board tracks in the state are Englishtown and Field of Dreams.

Get in good with some locals and you'll learn about the myriad of sand pits near the shore and in South Jerz. If you can avoid any run-ins with the authorities, it's some of the most fun you'll ever have on a dirt bike. And if you don't know how to ride sand, you soon will learn!

I've ridden tracks in more than 30 states and even with the recent location switch of Englishtown from the old race track to what used to be the practice track, I would still rate the facility in the top 10% of tracks in the country.

Rode Field of Dreams recently too for the first time and they are doing some great stuff over there as well (pricey though). Nice sandy mix that can take rain very well.

Sounds like you're up for longer drives too, which opens your moto world up A LOT. Great PA tracks, as has already been mentioned. Old NY main stays like Binghamton and Walden Playboys, New England tracks and racing are top class, Budds Creek is epic... the list goes on.

Enjoy and welcome to the land of pork roll, Wawa and more municipalities than any single human could possibly comprehend!
Cheers!
We visited NJ 3 weeks ago for the first time in my life, for my wife's job interview, and experienced Wawa and getting your gas filled up by an attendant. I can't believe you're not allowed to pump your own gas!
How do you do when you want to fill a jerry can with 3 parts 110 and 2 parts 93!?
Hang on, can you actually find 110 at a pump or will I have to buy VP?
bayodome
Fantasy
4305th
4/19/2022 7:33am
bayodome wrote:
Welcome to NJ! The riding areas are getting more and more limited, but what's out there is still top notch. The only two official, 100% above...

Freddyfred wrote:
Cheers! We visited NJ 3 weeks ago for the first time in my life, for my wife's job interview, and experienced Wawa and getting your gas...
Cheers!
We visited NJ 3 weeks ago for the first time in my life, for my wife's job interview, and experienced Wawa and getting your gas filled up by an attendant. I can't believe you're not allowed to pump your own gas!
How do you do when you want to fill a jerry can with 3 parts 110 and 2 parts 93!?
Haha! Yup another NJ peculiarity! Oregon is the only other where you can't pump your own gas. Maybe that's why I find myself there so often...?

No 110 anywhere near me...that's for sure. I generally do Av gas if I need high octane for my two-stroke. There are VP vendors around but I'm sure others on here will have more info than I can provide on that point.

If you do need a specific amount for premix at the pump for your can, just tell the attendant very directly what you need. Most will let you handle the pumping on your own, but there's the occasional zealot who takes things a little too serious. Just don't let him get all "Jersey" on you (you'll know what that means soon enough).
MaxPower
4/19/2022 7:33am
You will love our wonderful governor and how good you feel paying high tax to take care of the less fortunate. And ez pass works on our toll roads so it doesn't hurt as much paying 2.00 for what used to be .35 . Joking aside there are a lot of good people that live here
4/19/2022 7:41am
Freddyfred wrote:
Cheers! We visited NJ 3 weeks ago for the first time in my life, for my wife's job interview, and experienced Wawa and getting your gas...
Cheers!
I don't know where you'd find 110 at a pump.

For filling cans, you're allowed to do the filling yourself; just put the can on the ground before filling. I usually give the attendant a nod, they still insist on picking the fuel grade for you though and then hand you the nozzle to fill. It is the same with bikes.
4/19/2022 10:36am
Freddyfred wrote:
Hi!

Cheers/ Fred
These were my favorite tracks growing up
Pagoda
Etown
Snake Creek
Walden
Hurricane Hills

enjoy
MX915
4/19/2022 11:02am
bayodome wrote:

Freddyfred wrote:
Cheers!
Some sunoco stations may have race fuel at the pump, but your choices will be limited and chances are its been sitting in the tank for years. You can check using the”fuel finder” on their site, but its not guaranteed. Better off buying pails from a dealer. Field of dreams sells VP pails at the track for some of the more popular fuels. You can check out their website to see which ones.

Try pork roll (or taylor ham depending on who youre asking) while youre here. Dont ask whats in it or how its made. Just eat it with egg and cheese on a hard roll and be happy. And get it at an actual deli (wawa’s great, but you gotta go for the real deal when it comes to that).
Freddyfred
4/19/2022 11:20am
bayodome wrote:

Freddyfred wrote:
Cheers!
MX915 wrote:
Some sunoco stations may have race fuel at the pump, but your choices will be limited and chances are its been sitting in the tank for...
Some sunoco stations may have race fuel at the pump, but your choices will be limited and chances are its been sitting in the tank for years. You can check using the”fuel finder” on their site, but its not guaranteed. Better off buying pails from a dealer. Field of dreams sells VP pails at the track for some of the more popular fuels. You can check out their website to see which ones.

Try pork roll (or taylor ham depending on who youre asking) while youre here. Dont ask whats in it or how its made. Just eat it with egg and cheese on a hard roll and be happy. And get it at an actual deli (wawa’s great, but you gotta go for the real deal when it comes to that).
Thanks for the gas tips!

Am I about to fall in love with yet another local food?
I already fell in love with the Chicago dog when living there, deep fried cheese curds of Wisconsin and good Cuban sandwiches in South Florida. Not to leave out all the authentic Asian food in Sydney or baked goods of Sweden arghhhh!

Moving around gets harder and harder for all the local foods and beers I now can't consume anymore Sad
MX915
4/19/2022 11:33am
Freddyfred wrote:
Thanks for the gas tips! Am I about to fall in love with yet another local food? I already fell in love with the Chicago dog...
Thanks for the gas tips!

I already fell in love with the Chicago dog when living there, deep fried cheese curds of Wisconsin and good Cuban sandwiches in South Florida. Not to leave out all the authentic Asian food in Sydney or baked goods of Sweden arghhhh!

Moving around gets harder and harder for all the local foods and beers I now can't consume anymore Sad
Honestly, its a great hangover food, not not exactly high class. The unique thing about it is its exclusive to NJ.

Definitely not something you want to eat every day. Wink
4/19/2022 12:03pm
Freddyfred wrote:
Cheers!
MX915 wrote:
Some sunoco stations may have race fuel at the pump, but your choices will be limited and chances are its been sitting in the tank for...

Freddyfred wrote:
Thanks for the gas tips! Am I about to fall in love with yet another local food? I already fell in love with the Chicago dog...
Thanks for the gas tips!

In Tinton Falls it'll be called pork roll. You'd might get a weird look if you call it Taylor Ham around there, but you are sort of close to the cutoff latitude for the change from pork roll to Taylor Ham.

There is a ton of food options to like about NJ. It is one of the state's more redeeming qualities. You'll have a near inexhaustible number of pizzerias that are all better than the best pizzeria you had at any of your other locations.

There's actually a pretty stellar BBQ place not far from Tinton Falls as well called Jersey Shore Barbeque. I can vouch for the Point Pleasant location, I've never gone to the East Brunswick location.

Post a reply to: Moving to NJ

The Latest