Moving Up a Class After 30+? Thoughts

Forty
2/20/2020 8:08am
kkawboy14 wrote:
I’m 57 so I’m right behind you! 😀 As I have gotten older I really didn’t lose any speed but man there are some BIG things...
I’m 57 so I’m right behind you! 😀

As I have gotten older I really didn’t lose any speed but man there are some BIG things that I won’t jump that other guys will. I would say that’s the area that made me slower.
Yeah man, that's your brain trying to save your life.

Sending yourself and 250lbs of equipment and machine into the air for 70 feet isn't a natural thing....and as we get on a little the self preservation part of our system moves to the front in a big way.....

Be safe old timer....

Back on topic, as a 30 year old I remember it being safer out on the track with vetA class racers as they are better riders less likely to make a major error and collect another rider with them, and the really fast guys weren't around long anyway, I saw them at the start gate and then again in the pits after the race.

owndjoo852
2/20/2020 8:25am
I'd say go ride in the Open B and see how competitive you are there. If you're up front then you'll be fine in A. Having small gates makes it hard to actually gauge your speed in comparison to a regional or national level. If you are winning or up front at a LL area or Regional or at a big event with big gates in VET 30B, then yea I'd move up.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
2/20/2020 10:30am
I don't race all the time, but when I do, its Vet A.

I cringe at the class structure. Sometimes I wish they would just ask two questions, 1) Do you ride a big bike, Me, yes. 2) A, B, C or Beginner? Me, A. OK, You will race the last moto of the day which moto 10, 20 minutes plus 2 laps, 50 bucks please.

The Shop

langhammx
Fantasy
581st
2/20/2020 10:52am
Hallzilla wrote:
I had a buddy who was in the same predicament. He was going faster and faster training harder and harder. He had his head set on...
I had a buddy who was in the same predicament. He was going faster and faster training harder and harder. He had his head set on being a World Vet Champ! I was so impressed with his riding and endurance. Everything was peaking. Then one day at our local track, he high sided and lawn darted ... never to wake up. It still hurts me like it was last week. He left a 4 year old son behind. I can definitely say its not worth it. Miss You Jason RIP. There is way more in life than racing a fuggin dirt bike. I'm a little jaded because Ive lost 2 buddies. I still ride, but have no need to try and be fast anymore. It's all about flow, fun, and getting home in one piece. Looking back at it, he was pushing his limits and ability, which I get you have to do to go faster. But at what cost ? Well in Jason's case it was his life.
Damn...
I was about to post and say that I’m going faster at age 54 than I’ve ever gone, then I read your post !

Sorry about your loss, I know where you’re coming from, I lost my brother to a dirt bike accident at 18 years old.

I’ve been riding/ racing for 43 years and my son raced from age 5 thru age 17. He’s 30 now and just started riding with me again last month. We are leaving to go to Costa Rica on a moto trip in 3 weeks, I can’t wait !! My son quit racing in ‘07 and walked away from the sport (I started him too soon and it eventually turned into a job and spoiled the fun)

But, I feel that my riding has improved with age, I’m much more “in control” and try to keep it that way. I’ve gotten injured pretty bad and spent a lot of time in the hospital over moto injuries, but I honestly wouldn’t change a thing !
jpfiester82
Fantasy
24th
2/20/2020 11:38am
Similar situation and still considering what classes for this year. Got back into the sport last year after better than 5 years with no bike or riding. First race of the season signed up for vet sport and 40+ B/C. I always do two classes because I get bored sitting there all day with little riding. First of the week I got a call that since I bumped myself several years ago to B I wasn't eligible for the Vet sport class. For the rest of the year it was 40+ open and 40+B/C. I definitely had the most fun in the B/C class with guys around me. In 40+Open I was pretty much a back marker if anyone else signed up. I really wish it would go back to a straight age group class. I don't want to collect trophies but I don't want to ride by myself either.
moto804
2/20/2020 1:44pm
Moto520 wrote:
+30A is a tougher one. In Illinois....once "A"....always "A." If you race two classes what are your options? if you bump to "A," are you stuck...
+30A is a tougher one. In Illinois....once "A"....always "A." If you race two classes what are your options? if you bump to "A," are you stuck having to race open A as a second class? Do you feel safe doing that or does it not matter to you. I don't think you are a sandbagger by any stretch. Just keep racing one way or the other!
mmain62 wrote:
I'll keep racing either way for sure. Will I see any Young 120 machines at a D17 race this year ?
I'm another IL 40+ "30 A" rider like 520. I'm not that serious about it and only get out 3-5 times a year anymore due to commitments with the kids.

As he mentioned, once you move up, you are in A. I self advanced back in 99, took some time off after a badly broken leg in 2005 to go play Supermoto, then came back to MX around 2013. Thought about petition ing to drop down, but never bothered.

The biggest issue I have around here is that you will often only get 2-4 riders in the A class (and I am usually the slowest). I actually really like it when they run us with the B group as it gives me someone to race with. I usually still beat most of the B class, but not always. I'm okay with that too.

Isn't the Chef moving up to A this year also? I know he is 47 or 48 and usually toward the front of the B class.
kkawboy14
2/20/2020 2:21pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
I’m 57 so I’m right behind you! 😀 As I have gotten older I really didn’t lose any speed but man there are some BIG things...
I’m 57 so I’m right behind you! 😀

As I have gotten older I really didn’t lose any speed but man there are some BIG things that I won’t jump that other guys will. I would say that’s the area that made me slower.
Forty wrote:
Yeah man, that's your brain trying to save your life. Sending yourself and 250lbs of equipment and machine into the air for 70 feet isn't a...
Yeah man, that's your brain trying to save your life.

Sending yourself and 250lbs of equipment and machine into the air for 70 feet isn't a natural thing....and as we get on a little the self preservation part of our system moves to the front in a big way.....

Be safe old timer....

Back on topic, as a 30 year old I remember it being safer out on the track with vetA class racers as they are better riders less likely to make a major error and collect another rider with them, and the really fast guys weren't around long anyway, I saw them at the start gate and then again in the pits after the race.

😂

I’m still good with 60’-80’ it’s the 80’- 110’....that I’m like “nope I already know I’m not pulling that jump” right when I unload! 😀
jeffro503
2/20/2020 2:38pm
I was racing 250/450 INT all the way up into my late 20's. When I hit 30 , I raced probably the first 3 - 4 months in B and did really well ( won that class most tracks I went to. Made the jump to the 30+A for the next 10 years , and it was definitely a jump. I had to race against quite a few ex-pro's that were still hauling ass , got my butt whooped more times then I would have liked......but it made me faster as well. I still think to this day , that the 30+ class , was my most favorite racing of all time. And make no mistake.......just because you jump into a 30+ race , don't think for one second , that age , makes them slow!
2/20/2020 2:51pm
Move up to the A Class, dont be a SandBagger like most of the Clowns who stay in the B Class just to win every Race, cause their a bunch of Losers who's afraid to go to the A Class, cause they will get their Asses handed to them....move up...
RCMXracing
2/20/2020 3:35pm
Kick yourself in the taint and move up. If you suck you can always drop back down. There’s no rules in Moto. Duh!
jeffro503
2/20/2020 3:43pm
RCMXracing wrote:
Kick yourself in the taint and move up. If you suck you can always drop back down. There’s no rules in Moto. Duh!
Actually around here , if you bump up into the " A" class , you have to stay in that class , unless you disappear for a year or two.

Most of the tracks I raced at , they ran the A/B together and was easy to judge weather you should move up or not. I don't think the " A" class is really a money class any more , and it used to be. Was kinda cool getting your entry money back plus an extra $60.00 - $80.00 on top of it. Not sure why every track around here quit doing that , as I thought it was pretty cool.
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
2/20/2020 5:48pm
If you think you're fast enough to earn any money racing A. Then you're obviously to fast for B.

The slowest A rider should beat the fastest B. If there are A riders that you can beat then move up. You dont need to be capable of winning A class to be an A class rider.
bierbower105
2/21/2020 4:59am
owndjoo852 wrote:
I'd say go ride in the Open B and see how competitive you are there. If you're up front then you'll be fine in A. Having...
I'd say go ride in the Open B and see how competitive you are there. If you're up front then you'll be fine in A. Having small gates makes it hard to actually gauge your speed in comparison to a regional or national level. If you are winning or up front at a LL area or Regional or at a big event with big gates in VET 30B, then yea I'd move up.
Yep, check yourself at a big race - regional or other. Red Bud National Weekend, Baja Brawl. Race Open B and see where you fit. It changed my mind on moving up - I still have some work to do.
mmain62
2/21/2020 5:28am
moto804 wrote:
I'm another IL 40+ "30 A" rider like 520. I'm not that serious about it and only get out 3-5 times a year anymore due to...
I'm another IL 40+ "30 A" rider like 520. I'm not that serious about it and only get out 3-5 times a year anymore due to commitments with the kids.

As he mentioned, once you move up, you are in A. I self advanced back in 99, took some time off after a badly broken leg in 2005 to go play Supermoto, then came back to MX around 2013. Thought about petition ing to drop down, but never bothered.

The biggest issue I have around here is that you will often only get 2-4 riders in the A class (and I am usually the slowest). I actually really like it when they run us with the B group as it gives me someone to race with. I usually still beat most of the B class, but not always. I'm okay with that too.

Isn't the Chef moving up to A this year also? I know he is 47 or 48 and usually toward the front of the B class.
As far as I know the Chef is staying down. Last time I talked to him about it he asked me if I was going up. He is a sleeper for sure, dude twists the grip very well. Especially at 47 going on 48 and hes a super awesome person on top of that. I still don't know what I want to do. I'll probably race an open B a few times and see where I end up.
ElliotB16
2/21/2020 5:34am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2020 5:39am
KW62 wrote:
Tried listening to your podcast and it appears that it keeps replaying the same couple minute loop over and over?
It’s probably a stitcher problem. You can google “over the bars podcast” and find us on every platform. “You’ve been knighted” is the episode name. We’re...
It’s probably a stitcher problem.
You can google “over the bars podcast” and find us on every platform. “You’ve been knighted” is the episode name.

We’re on iTunes, Spotify, and everything else. I just used the stitcher link. Thanks for giving it a shot I think you’ll dig it.
It’s doing the same thing on apple podcast. I’d like to listen to it if there’s anyway it can be fixed
mmain62
2/21/2020 5:44am
ElliotB16 wrote:
It’s doing the same thing on apple podcast. I’d like to listen to it if there’s anyway it can be fixed
Stitcher worked on two devices for me the other day. Its a good pod for sure.
jpfiester82
Fantasy
24th
2/21/2020 6:11am
mmain62 wrote:
Stitcher worked on two devices for me the other day. Its a good pod for sure.
Worked for me on overcast. I agree better than I expected even only about halfway through. Hard to argue with some of their points.
2/21/2020 6:22am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2020 6:23am
mmain62 wrote:
Alright guys my buddies and I have been going back and forth a bit about moving up to 30A for the new season. I'm at a...
Alright guys my buddies and I have been going back and forth a bit about moving up to 30A for the new season. I'm at a fork in the road where in one direction , yes it would be cool to have a chance at making my entry back, 'but on the other hand at 31 yrs old is it worth it to move up ride harder and inevitably take more risks? Or stay down take it easy and keep it just for fun. Don't turn this into a " There should only be one +30 CLASS etc etc argument." I am sure some of you have been at the same point in your racing life and want to here opinions.
Think of yourself not as a stock option, but more as a bond. Just get more valuable with time. move up!
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/21/2020 8:29am
Do like I did: stay in B, but ride a 125 to level the playing field. Woohoo That was fun.
mmain62
2/21/2020 12:55pm
Falcon wrote:
Do like I did: stay in B, but ride a 125 to level the playing field. Woohoo That was fun.
No joke I've been looking for a 125. or 150sx I lost 35 lbs so I'm back to 125 weight haha . I am seriously considering it.
kkawboy14
2/21/2020 1:21pm
Falcon wrote:
mmain62 wrote:
No joke I've been looking for a 125. or 150sx I lost 35 lbs so I'm back to 125 weight haha . I am seriously considering...
No joke I've been looking for a 125. or 150sx I lost 35 lbs so I'm back to 125 weight haha . I am seriously considering it.
DUDE I have 1 leg bigger than you 😂
Mr. Afterbar
2/21/2020 1:48pm
Do you know how your speed is specifically compared to the guys that always finish near the back of the A pack? My buddy moved up...
Do you know how your speed is specifically compared to the guys that always finish near the back of the A pack? My buddy moved up to A, and he stopped racing because wasn't able to hang with anyone. The guys in the front of 30A around me still race 450A and were qualifying for nationals 10 years ago, so little chance of a VetB rider ever getting that fast.
Although that’s true, there are a lot of guys who raced A back in the day that weren’t too competitive and way off the pace of the ex pros. I don’t think that not having a chance of ever beating those guys should deter him from moving up. If you have to win to be satisfied with racing, then staying down is an option, but I think a lot of people would be surprised how well they’d do moving up to A. I’m 34 and moved to A 16 years ago, but consider it an honor to still race against pros/ex pros. A couple I had the privilege of racing this year in +30 are 3x AX champion Chad Johnson and a current pro who almost qualified for the 250 SX main event last weekend, Travis Sewell. It was awesome to ride behind them and watch them pull away.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/21/2020 2:52pm
Falcon wrote:
mmain62 wrote:
No joke I've been looking for a 125. or 150sx I lost 35 lbs so I'm back to 125 weight haha . I am seriously considering...
kkawboy14 wrote:
DUDE I have 1 leg bigger than you 😂
I think he meant, "weight suitable for a 125 to pull." GrinningGrinning
wisey
Fantasy
1341st
2/21/2020 3:15pm
Falcon wrote:
mmain62 wrote:
Careful with that. You may find your faster at some tracks on a 125...
and having way too much fun for it to be legal.
mmain62
2/22/2020 5:21am
Falcon wrote:
I think he meant, "weight suitable for a 125 to pull." GrinningGrinning
I'm 150 not 125 ha. I'd love a 125 to rip though.

Post a reply to: Moving Up a Class After 30+? Thoughts

The Latest