Moved to America

Freddyfred
3/26/2017 6:27pm
Hi All

I've been lurking here for many years and finally signed up!
I moved to the beautiful country of USA 1 month ago and I'm getting keen to ride again. I've been riding in both Sweden and Australia for the past 6 years but never in the US.
At the moment I'm in Seattle but will be moving to Chicago in June to live for a year.
So far I'm thinking of getting a van and leaning towards a KTM/Husqvarna 250 2-stroke around -14/15 since all I've been riding this whole time is 250 2-strokes and I like them.
Since everything here is new for me I was hoping to get some advice on the following topics:
Do I need to think about anything special in regards to medical insurance?
Do I need to be a member of a club?
Where to best find a bike? Dealer? Craigslist? Other sites?
Title on a bike?
Are prices on vans and bikes different between Seattle and Chicago?
Where to ride?

Feeling a tad lost and any advice is welcome!

Cheers/ Fred
|
RandyS
3/26/2017 6:36pm
I really miss the days of guaranteed hazing for all newbs, but your post is just so damn nice. I don't have much to add other than you need to stay in Seattle until August 1st so you don't miss Washougal, you will regret it for the rest of you life. Bikes are probably cheaper in Illinois, West Coast is usually the most expensive.
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
3/26/2017 6:37pm Edited Date/Time 3/26/2017 6:47pm
I would be verrrrry cautious keeping a bike in a van full time in Chicago. Red Bud, Dutch spot park, log road in Michigan will probably be a 2-3 hour drive for you.

Oh yeah! Welcome!

STFU Newbe!
RandyS
3/26/2017 6:40pm
MxKing809 wrote:
I would be verrrrry cautious keeping a bike in a van full time in Chicago. Red Bud, Dutch spot park, log road in Michigan will probably...
I would be verrrrry cautious keeping a bike in a van full time in Chicago. Red Bud, Dutch spot park, log road in Michigan will probably be a 2-3 hour drive for you.

Oh yeah! Welcome!

STFU Newbe!
Plenty of tracks south and west of Chicago too, at least there were 20 years ago.

The Shop

jeffro503
3/26/2017 6:46pm
Fred....whatever bike you feel the most comfortable on , get it. When you get the bike and some kind of a van situated , head south and you can meet up with me and some others to take you to a few really good tracks. Washougal , Mtn View MX , Albany MX , PIR....and possibly a few private tracks ( weather permitting ). I have no idea on your budget and so forth , so that's totally up to you. And yes , get medical insurance. Sounds like you only have a couple months here in the NW , so if you get things situated , shoot me a PM on here and we'll do some roosting!
3/26/2017 6:48pm
Before you leave Seattle you need to ride Washougal the first open practice is may.
KMC440
3/26/2017 8:07pm Edited Date/Time 3/26/2017 10:14pm
Ahhhhh Chicagoland ..... Sick

Insure your stuff.
Put locks on the locks covering the locks.
In a 3 to 4 hr radius there are probably 35 tracks.
Trail riding in the region is almost non-existant.
AMA membership is going to be a must for racing.
Big MX-SX events within 6hr drive will keep you Woohoo happy.
3/26/2017 8:44pm
Race tracks: Byron, Joliet, Casey in Illinois Then Ironman in Indiana and RED BUD in Michigan. AMA District 17 is what most Illinois tracks support. Bikes are sort of up to you same with vans. If you are staying in Chicago I would look into bullet proof vest and armored cars! LOL well sort of.
MX4EVR
3/26/2017 8:47pm
Stay in Seattle
Lol
WowWowWubzy
3/26/2017 9:06pm
Google Fredbud or Motocrazy in Joliet. Great sand. What part of Chi town?
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
3/26/2017 9:39pm Edited Date/Time 3/26/2017 9:40pm
-Lovely accent you have there. New Jersey?

-Austria.

-Well then, g'day mate! Lets put another shrimp on the barbie!

Welcome!

ti473
3/26/2017 10:40pm
Mount Carroll, sunset ridge and ki tracks in that order
Freddyfred
3/27/2017 2:07pm
Thank you all for your suggestions and welcome messages!
I'm hoping I can get a bike while I'm still in Seattle and come down to ride at Washougal!
I'm now thinking storage unit and rental trailer while in Seattle might be my best option until I'm moving to Chicago.
Will most likely be looking for a place to stay north of Chicago since my wife is doing an internship in Buffalo Grove.
What sort of Policy Maximum should I go for when it comes to medical insurance? Would $500 000 be sufficient?
I do have a nasty habit of breaking bones from riding on a yearly basis.

Cheers/Fred
ctbale
3/27/2017 2:20pm
stay in the PNW if you can. portland/vancouver area, or even down towards Salem.

by the van there too, it will be way less rusty.

if your going to do a storage unit, the prices are expensive. I was paying $210 for a 12x20 in vancouver. but if you go out of the metro areas, you can get them for cheaper
APLMAN99
3/27/2017 3:32pm
Leaving Seattle just when it gets nice there is kind of a bad deal, but it sounds like there isn't too much of an option there. What sort of internship is your wife doing? Is she at UW now?

Too bad you aren't going to get to stay the summer there. Seattle in the summer time is fantastic! The rest of the year, it's pretty freakin' dreary from the constant drizzles. Beautiful, but too wet for me most of the year.
motogrady
3/27/2017 4:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2017 5:03pm
Freddyfred wrote:
Hi All I've been lurking here for many years and finally signed up! I moved to the beautiful country of USA 1 month ago and I'm...
Hi All

I've been lurking here for many years and finally signed up!
I moved to the beautiful country of USA 1 month ago and I'm getting keen to ride again. I've been riding in both Sweden and Australia for the past 6 years but never in the US.
At the moment I'm in Seattle but will be moving to Chicago in June to live for a year.
So far I'm thinking of getting a van and leaning towards a KTM/Husqvarna 250 2-stroke around -14/15 since all I've been riding this whole time is 250 2-strokes and I like them.
Since everything here is new for me I was hoping to get some advice on the following topics:
Do I need to think about anything special in regards to medical insurance?
Do I need to be a member of a club?
Where to best find a bike? Dealer? Craigslist? Other sites?
Title on a bike?
Are prices on vans and bikes different between Seattle and Chicago?
Where to ride?

Feeling a tad lost and any advice is welcome!

Cheers/ Fred
Welcome to America Fred.

Riding, the country is broken up into I think 37 AMA Districts.
Get on their website, see which one you're gonna be spending the most time in.
To run their events, first you need to join them, the AMA, and then the district you want to run in.
These are usually better run events, better tracks, they keep records, most districts have classes that have year ending
banquets along with class trophies and standings.
You get a top 5 in let's say, the 25 plus class at the end of the year, that's saying something.

Thing is, Motocross, even if you ride 2 classes a day, let's say 250 c and 25 plus if you can, there's a lot of wasted sitting around time.
Most AMA districts run enduros, hare scrambles also. Lot of riding time in a short span, and yes, you can run your Mx bike.
Join up for both, Moto and hare scrambles, each has its advantages.

There are other tracks that run, some tracks run events without the requirement of being an AMA member,
just show up with the money and a bike and it's cool. Some call these outlaw events.
Just riding, in a field or forest, be careful, lots do it, but without owner permission you can get jacked up.

Health insurance, it's in a real state of flux here.
Most policies, won't cover a speed or race type competition injury.
You need to read the fine print.
You find one that covers competition injuries, I for one would like to hear the name of the provider,

Reality, don't own any real estate, or anything of real value.
Be aware, you break your neck, it's a real possibility you and your wife will not be covered.
The hospital and doctors will fix and then sue you, for whatever they deem, are just prices to fix you.
If you can't pay, you're screwed.
Reality is, you don't own anything, they sue, you can't pay, you file bankruptcy, it's wiped,
you have crap credit for the next 7 years.
If your wife has medical insurance where she works, many times you, the husband can get on kinda cheap.
I'd check that for sure.

The guys telling you to watch it in Chicago, it's like the murder Capitol of the USA.
They aren't joking.
Your wife has a job there, an internship or whatever, be effin careful.
I know back in Baltimore, Johnz Hopkins Hospital, leading medical establishment, is located in the middle of
some of the baddest neighborhoods in that town.
Doctors, nurses, interns come and go every day, you just need to stay smart.
Go to work, go home and lock the effing door, or commute to a nice suburb.

Again, good to have you guys here, it's a great country, lots to see and do, hope you enjoy it.

DPR250R
3/27/2017 5:14pm
Just wanted to say welcome to the US and Tuesday is leg day broseph.
Freddyfred
3/27/2017 5:24pm
Woah, I've heard Chicago is a violent place but I had no idea to what degree.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150707/downtown/where-shootings-have-…
My wife's is a new grad veterinarian and the internship is locked in, nothing I can do about it.
Buffalo Grove is 30 miles north west of Chicago so hopefully we can find a nice neighborhood around there.
It makes no financial sense for me to buy a bike in Seattle but I'm keen to ride and would like to try the tracks around here before we head east.

Cheers/ Fred
WowWowWubzy
3/27/2017 7:12pm
Buffalo Grove is great, I lived in Barrington after moving out of Chicago proper. Nice commuter trains downtown. Unfortunately, the south and west sides are where all the shootings are. Whats tough about moto and Chicago is all tracks are abt 2 hours away. Catch Red Bud on a practice day, you won't forget riding there.
Bruce372
3/27/2017 7:34pm
You'll be fine living in Buffalo Grove.

Motoland is the best track by far
Tuffy
3/27/2017 8:18pm
Dont let these non-illinois people scare you..they dont have a clue.

My office is in Buffalo Grove. Beautiful area with million dollar homes. It is located in the Northshore of chicagoland. It is in the top 10% of the wealthiest communities in the usa with the schools in the top 5% in the country.

Just like any major city there are areas to avoid...just stay out of the southside of the city. But that is 50 miles from buffalo grove.

Dist 17 (and 16 in wisconsin) are the local chapters. Lots of tracks all within a few hour drive. Some great race shops. Some that support National riders. Great KTM dealer nearby called Woodstock KTM. Just ask for Danny Jackson.

Anyways...i travel all over the world for my busines and aside from a corrupt government, illinois is gods country. Long hot summers and if you like snowmobiles, winters can be good too.
Bruce372
3/27/2017 8:25pm
Sport land 2 and south east sales are really good dealers just over the border in Milwaukee.

Avoid Nielsens in Lake villa...or take some KY lube if you do go there
dboivin
3/27/2017 8:42pm
RandyS wrote:
I really miss the days of guaranteed hazing for all newbs, but your post is just so damn nice. I don't have much to add other...
I really miss the days of guaranteed hazing for all newbs, but your post is just so damn nice. I don't have much to add other than you need to stay in Seattle until August 1st so you don't miss Washougal, you will regret it for the rest of you life. Bikes are probably cheaper in Illinois, West Coast is usually the most expensive.
wrong, he needs to get to chicago before july 4th....as redbud >washougal.
WowWowWubzy
3/27/2017 10:04pm
Tuffy wrote:
Dont let these non-illinois people scare you..they dont have a clue. My office is in Buffalo Grove. Beautiful area with million dollar homes. It is located...
Dont let these non-illinois people scare you..they dont have a clue.

My office is in Buffalo Grove. Beautiful area with million dollar homes. It is located in the Northshore of chicagoland. It is in the top 10% of the wealthiest communities in the usa with the schools in the top 5% in the country.

Just like any major city there are areas to avoid...just stay out of the southside of the city. But that is 50 miles from buffalo grove.

Dist 17 (and 16 in wisconsin) are the local chapters. Lots of tracks all within a few hour drive. Some great race shops. Some that support National riders. Great KTM dealer nearby called Woodstock KTM. Just ask for Danny Jackson.

Anyways...i travel all over the world for my busines and aside from a corrupt government, illinois is gods country. Long hot summers and if you like snowmobiles, winters can be good too.
Never heard Illinois referred to as "Gods Country" Smile
KMC440
3/27/2017 10:24pm
Buffalo Grove is a nice suburb. You'll find a decent place there.
Tuffy
3/28/2017 6:16am
Never heard Illinois referred to as "Gods Country" Smile
Funny you should mention that...just yesterday, one of my sales guys (28 years old) who is a life long OK and TX (Ft Worth) resident was telling me he loves the quality of life in illinois and as much as he loves TX, could never move back to OK or TX...
ehr400
3/28/2017 7:28am
Honestly you are within 4 hours of alot of great moto tracks. I live 45 minutes from Detroit, people that have never been here or what not are like oh shit you are gonna get shot bla bla. I live in the country, like rural. So dont lt alot of people on here who may have drove near the area or watched it on the news try scaring you. We had family friends from athat area you are moving to, nice area and you will be just fine. Maybe I will see you at Red Bud??!
JBlain619
3/28/2017 7:59am
MxKing809 wrote:
I would be verrrrry cautious keeping a bike in a van full time in Chicago. Red Bud, Dutch spot park, log road in Michigan will probably...

Oh yeah! Welcome!

STFU Newbe!
MxKing809 is Grattan still around??

Fred all these tracks mentioned are baddass. Welcome and enjoy the riding up there!!!
ehr400
3/28/2017 8:07am
MxKing809 wrote:

Oh yeah! Welcome!

STFU Newbe!
JBlain619 wrote:
MxKing809 is Grattan still around??

Fred all these tracks mentioned are baddass. Welcome and enjoy the riding up there!!!
Yes Grattan is still there, dont have as many races or practices but still there. One of my favorites.

Post a reply to: Moved to America

The Latest