Move for Motocross and Good Times Only

Related:
Create New Tag

1/28/2019 6:49 AM

If you had the chance to move for Moto and just having a good Time at all, to which state/region would you move?

|

1/28/2019 6:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 7:08 AM

Ive always wondered this myself
And imo the answer is southern California, just because its the mecca of the sport, and thats where you will find the most other people that share your passion, plus most likely the largest amout of public tracks within the closest vicinity to each other. And also the most open land to ride on, in some states almost all the land is privately owned and off limits,
The Down side to Cali imo is its mostly hard packed dirt. And in the summer months its Hot. But still number 1.
Imo

|

1/28/2019 6:59 AM

Id probably choose the carolinas or northern florida. Cali would be nice if the politics werent so crazy.

|

1/28/2019 7:23 AM

How much public land is there to ride in in SC/NC. or FLA? SoCal deserts are epic when rains like we had lately flood out the tracks. I think I could ride a good 300 miles north and east from my house off road.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

1/28/2019 7:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 7:35 AM

Colorado? Utah? Idaho? But actually I'd go to Croatia!!

|

1/28/2019 7:47 AM

lowriz50 wrote:

If you had the chance to move for Moto and just having a good Time at all, to which state/region would you move?

Vancouver WA

|

1/28/2019 7:53 AM

Already did

|

1/28/2019 8:24 AM

Texas (specifically North Texas/DFW) is insane in terms of number of bitchin tracks and ability to ride year-round.

This weekend was high 50's-low 60's. Rode 2 national caliber tracks with perfect conditions...In January.

|

1/28/2019 8:41 AM

Texas, Florida, California. Year around riding/racing in those places.

For trails and hills and a good time pretty hard to beat Grand Junction, Colorado.

|

1/28/2019 10:24 AM

Tarz483 wrote:

And imo the answer is southern California, just because its the mecca of the sport, and thats ...more

Where are you riding hard packed tracks in southern cal? Pretty deep everywhere I ride, all the tracks are a semi sandy loam.

|

1/28/2019 10:46 AM

Cali has glamis, and lots of desert that is plenty soft.

|

1/28/2019 11:37 AM

Tarz483 wrote:

And imo the answer is southern California, just because its the mecca of the sport, and thats ...more

ob wrote:

Where are you riding hard packed tracks in southern cal? Pretty deep everywhere I ride, all the tracks are a semi sandy loam. ...more

I was just going by things ive read but if its sandy loam, i personally would like it. I prefer sandy conditions.

|

1/28/2019 11:40 AM

I did just that about 13 years ago. Moved from NY to San Diego. I figured surfers move to Hawaii for surfing, why not move to California for riding?

|

1/28/2019 11:43 AM

casper wrote:

I did just that about 13 years ago. Moved from NY to San Diego. I figured surfers move to Hawaii for surfing, why not move to ...more

Was it a good choice for you? Your still there so im guessing thats a yes smile

|

1/28/2019 12:08 PM

I wish this was in my cards.....

some day.

|

1/28/2019 12:19 PM

This 100%

Perris always had some of the best dirt. I'd say Cal City has really good dirt and they prep really well, they are just pretty far out there for most guys.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

1/28/2019 12:28 PM

Yeah, can't really beat it here. By last count I think it was ~18 tracks within 2.5 hour drive. Not to mention all the desert and forest areas. Year round riding with amazing weather.

We did lose Comp Edge (meh) and Zaca Station this past year sad but looks like we are gaining a public spot at Castillo Ranch if the rumors are true.

|

James

1/28/2019 12:42 PM

The days of hard pack tracks pretty much stopped years ago down here. They are mostly all ripped fairly deep. If you want hardpacked go north. Barona has a couple hard sections, and elisnore can be hard but I don’t know anybody that rides there anymore. It is really hard to beat.

|

1/28/2019 1:21 PM

It would have to be southern CA, i don't think anywhere else can come close to all the options we have here. You have a number of tracks that are prepped and maintained. The hills of Beaumont, Reche Canyon, Temecula wine country and the desert riding in Ocotillo, Glamis and Pismo.

Not to mention that you can shred mountain bikes all over, go snowboard in big bear and surf all in the same day!

|

1/28/2019 1:37 PM

I think that in Cali life is much more expensive than in other states ... Photo

|

1/28/2019 2:10 PM

ruy wrote:

Yeah and by the sounds of it , worth it!

|

1/28/2019 2:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 3:04 PM

ruy wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:

Yeah and by the sounds of it , worth it!

Only if you live by the ocean, most of California is rural. The further east you go the cheaper it is. But the further west you go the nicer it is. Pick your poison. Like everything you get what you pay for.

|

1/28/2019 3:01 PM

casper wrote:

I did just that about 13 years ago. Moved from NY to San Diego. I figured surfers move to Hawaii for surfing, why not move to ...more

Tarz483 wrote:

Was it a good choice for you? Your still there so im guessing thats a yes smile

Yeah, I love it out here, but it can be tough to establish yourself. I was 27 when I moved so I only had to worry about myself at the time. The one year mark is the make it or break it point for most people. I figured the same for me and if it didn't work out, I would just go back to NY with my tail between my legs. So I took the plunge, quit my job, packed my Jeep with everything I owned, and drove cross country with no job line up. I couch surfed for a couple of weeks until I found an apartment., and it took over 6 months to find a job.

Flash forward 13 years and now I own a house with my girlfriend that I met riding(she also rides), we own a Toyhauler, go to the desert every year, and I ride track at least 2 times a month year round.

|

1/28/2019 3:03 PM

Utah, Colorado.

|

1/28/2019 3:06 PM

California does have amazing year round riding opportunities and every type of terrain you can imagine. Up here in Northern California the rain will chase us off the track for a few days at at time throughout the Winter, but I can't complain about that when I saw minus 50s with wind chill forecasted for the middle of this week in the Midwest. There are a lot of really cool things about living in California.

That said, if you live near the coast the cost is insane, and everyone gets screwed over by California politics. And its the little stuff that gets really annoying (on top of the bigger stuff like: taxes, regulation, cost of gas and power, crappy schools, bad roads, etc.). For example, we were at the Oakland Supercross, and guess what? You can't get a friggin lid for your $7 soda, so you spill $3s worth of your soda on the way back to your seat. No straws either. I have seen a lot of birds and fish choking on lids and straws, so I guess it makes sense. unsure Or maybe its because of the trash issue? Nah, that can't be it because the politicians sure as heck don't seem to care about homeless people living and pooping on the sidewalk, so....

Rant over. I guess you take the good with the bad!

|

1/28/2019 3:43 PM

ob wrote:

Already did

Likewise!

|

1/28/2019 4:02 PM

Went to watch my little buddy this weekend at Perris. Was super fresh

|

1/28/2019 4:48 PM

Just south of Paradise... wrote:

California does have amazing year round riding opportunities and every type of terrain you can imagine. Up here in Northern ...more

I used to live in Northern California myself , i was born in San Jose but moved from there as a baby, then mostly lived in the suburbs of Sacramento Lincoln, Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom. Ive been in MN since 2011
Sacramento vally is super hot in the summer, other than that pretty nice imo.
But i have always wanted to try Southern California.
Cost has is the only reason i havent yet, but i still want to at some point

|

1/28/2019 5:01 PM

Sack-Town is hot in the summer for sure, but there's rivers all over the place which is nice. Tahoe is pretty close and ski resorts have some nice MTB trails in summer.

It'd be hard to beat So-Cal for pure MX riding. So many tracks down there, it's crazy.

|

1/29/2019 1:30 AM

Australia..... literally any state it fucking rocks smile

|