Mouth Guards in Moto

scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
Edited Date/Time 5/14/2019 2:02pm
is anyone running them on here? I have just ordered a custom fitted one,

I see Baggett and Tomac are running them,

and does anyone have links to any research on them helping prevent concussions?
|
BR8ES
5/11/2019 5:00pm
i run one, more for dental protection than concussion. Helps me breathe better too..
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
5/11/2019 5:10pm
They are great for me in that I tend to grind my teeth when I'm riding moto. Also helps force me to breath through my nose more.

I can't ride without one anymore.
crusher773
5/12/2019 8:20am
Been wearing one for years 100% sure it reduced at least 1 concussion and probably saved some teeth.
Tuna
5/12/2019 3:16pm
Started wearing one around 6 years ago after a series of concussions.

The Shop

shiftmx_22
Fantasy
629th
5/12/2019 8:16pm
I've been wearing them for years. I used the shock doctor ones for a long time, but just recently got tipped off to this bad boy and I like it 10x better. It is a lot more low profile, but still feels like it has great protection. Doesn't bother me one bit. I sometimes struggled breathing with the shock doctor. I can never even tell I'm wearing this one.
Tracktor
5/13/2019 1:17pm
Absolutely. Started with off the shelf ones but local dentist makes custom for around $35 as a service to active clients. Totally worth it.....
5/13/2019 5:27pm
Lol, damn your dentist is extremely generous and gives you a hell of deal for $35. Lol, my dentist offered to make one for me, but never states the price. I knew at that moment he wasn't doing any favors, deals etc. So I asked what's the price, he says I make custom ones for $400 haha haha lol lol. I asked to see the "custom" one, he comes with a package from some company, I laughed and said nah I'll keep looking.
Their are several companies that make ""custom"" ones. Really all they/you are doing is taking a impression of your teeth like they do in a dental/orthodontist office for bleaching trays/retainers etc etc.
Do yourself a favor and steer clear of medical offices, markup is astronomical.
Jisola275
5/13/2019 7:44pm Edited Date/Time 5/13/2019 7:46pm
Since I knocked out my 2 fronts I won't ride without one. I wish I started wearing it sooner.
cwtoyota
5/13/2019 8:37pm
scott_nz wrote:
is anyone running them on here? I have just ordered a custom fitted one, I see Baggett and Tomac are running them, and does anyone have...

I don't know if they're still around, but when I was a kid, we had these custom mouth guards for school sports that came as a kit.

You got the rubber horseshoe piece with some kind of rubberized schmoo in it. I think you had to heat it up in hot (near boiling?) water, then when it was just cooled enough to tolerate, make an impression by biting down.

It's worth checking around to see if those are available.
Maybe they don't exist anymore? Maybe the chemicals cause cancer in the state of Confusion?
I think there may have been kits with a tube of some kind of two-part epoxy-rubber too.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
5/13/2019 10:25pm
scott_nz wrote:
is anyone running them on here? I have just ordered a custom fitted one, I see Baggett and Tomac are running them, and does anyone have...

cwtoyota wrote:
I don't know if they're still around, but when I was a kid, we had these custom mouth guards for school sports that came as a...
I don't know if they're still around, but when I was a kid, we had these custom mouth guards for school sports that came as a kit.

You got the rubber horseshoe piece with some kind of rubberized schmoo in it. I think you had to heat it up in hot (near boiling?) water, then when it was just cooled enough to tolerate, make an impression by biting down.

It's worth checking around to see if those are available.
Maybe they don't exist anymore? Maybe the chemicals cause cancer in the state of Confusion?
I think there may have been kits with a tube of some kind of two-part epoxy-rubber too.
we can get boil and bite type ones here, they are mandatory in all levels of rugby here,

i have gone to a slightly better version that a dental technician does for $80 nz, (about $55 US)
https://www.playsafemouthguards.com.au/?fbclid=IwAR16p4y4m9wQtITVSFEmAF…

SKIDLID
Fantasy
805th
5/14/2019 5:44am
I have 2 preforms. I once had my top front teeth pushed flat against the roof of my mouth wearing a boil and bite playing hockey. We pushed them back into place and 13 years later they are still there. I got out of the habit of wearing them when I ride but I should start again. USA hockey and Mayo clinic claim they will not prevent concussions.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
5/14/2019 5:56am
My boy uses one after chipping his tooth a coupe years ago. I get him the cheap ones because he chews on them and also loses them all the time. I think he was 6 when he first started using them.
gavinmgrant
5/14/2019 9:29am
I wear one. Don't want to crash or smack the bars and ruin my teeth. That's an expensive fix I don't want to deal with.
Tracktor
5/14/2019 11:59am
Lol, damn your dentist is extremely generous and gives you a hell of deal for $35. Lol, my dentist offered to make one for me, but...
Lol, damn your dentist is extremely generous and gives you a hell of deal for $35. Lol, my dentist offered to make one for me, but never states the price. I knew at that moment he wasn't doing any favors, deals etc. So I asked what's the price, he says I make custom ones for $400 haha haha lol lol. I asked to see the "custom" one, he comes with a package from some company, I laughed and said nah I'll keep looking.
Their are several companies that make ""custom"" ones. Really all they/you are doing is taking a impression of your teeth like they do in a dental/orthodontist office for bleaching trays/retainers etc etc.
Do yourself a favor and steer clear of medical offices, markup is astronomical.
Yup, it's a hell of a deal. They look exactly like the Proform pictured above but not 100% sure of brand? They take a mold and send it out to be made. They did accidentally order a night time one for my son and it was $200 but once they realized error got him the correct one........
JeepnMike
5/14/2019 2:02pm
I can't be the only one that thinks of this when you speak of mouth guards in moto:

Sev3ns
5/14/2019 6:04pm
Okay, I'll bite. No pun intended. I am at dentist and an avid MX fan. I used to race back in the day, but due to many injuries and a mountain of debt for dental school I decided to hang the boots up many years back. I now have a family, but a buddy and I try to make it to a couple of races each year.

So there is a difference between an over the counter mouthguard, a custom mouthguard, and a biteguard. The pro-form pictured above is actually a biteguard and is used to treat TMJ disorders or grinding of teeth at night. It is one form of biteguard; there are several different types. Over the counter boil and bite mouthguards are good for shock absorption only. I don't care how hard you bite or suck on those they will not protect the positioning of the teeth upon impact. That is where your custom fabricated mouthguards come into play. These are made of a slightly different and more rigid material that still provides shock absorption. These are great for athletes of all sorts, not just moto. You can only get these legally in the US from a Dentist unless you live in a state where they allow denturist (google it). When we make a mold of your teeth for the lab to fabricate (some dentist do these in house and the machine can costs upwards of over $1,000 and the materials are several hundred) you are paying for the materials, chair time, and staffs' salary, to name a few that goes into that dentist being able to make one for you. Some doctors who enjoy doing these and have all the equipment in-house may offer them at a significantly reduced price compared to ones who do not. So it is okay to shop around some. As for biteguards, these are usually made of a much harder material and should not be used as a mouthguard during active contact sports. You do not get the absorbency of the others and you are far more likely to actually break a tooth in the event of a crash. Some people with braces will wear mouthguards to protect their gums and the brackets on their teeth while actively playing sports as well.

With that being said, the benefits of wearing a mouthguard for any contact sport are very well documented. There are some out there made by Under Armour that claim to increase airflow by repositioning the lower jaw. I've heard mixed reviews about these as being legit and as being placebo. So I cannot advocate one way or another for these. I do know that these have a significant markup on them though.

Please feel free to ask me questions if you have any.

And on a side note, if anyone has any amazing ideas on how a dentist can be a part of the sport like on the Alpinestar medical crew let me know! I would love to do something like that, but don't really see how it would fit in.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
5/14/2019 8:33pm
Thanks for the info, that was awesome.

While Keystone does make biteguards, this one is actually a sport specific composite they have been working on for a couple years. It's very pliable, and shock mitigation was the goal in development.

Post a reply to: Mouth Guards in Moto

The Latest