Mountain Motorsports bait and switch scam!

JoJmoto
Edited Date/Time 3/8/2015 3:57pm
So we wanted to buy a new bike for Lane for his birthday which is in a couple weeks, he has never had a new bike before. I was searching Cycletrader.com and found Mountain Motorsports advertising left over 2014 Kawasaki kx250f's for $4611.00 So, I call the Lawrenceville store and spoke with a salesman. I was told the out the door price for this bike would be $5800. He went over the cost as such. $4611 for bike, $890 for set up and fees and 6% sales tax. Grand total, $5840.00. I asked if they had a bike at the store and was told no, the Marietta store had all the Kawasaki's but he could have one brought over.

I said I would fill out the finance paperwork on their website. On Monday, March 2, 2015, I was contacted by a salesman named Sean from the Marietta store. He said he had great news, we qualified for financing on the 2014 kx250f. I explained to him we could come down on Thursday, March 5, 2015 to sign the paperwork and pick up the bike. He said that would be great.

So today, my wife and I head down there this afternoon, driving the 1 1/2 hour and fighting the Atlanta traffic. We get there and ask for Sean. We were told Sean was off today. We explained that we had an appointment with him to pick up this bike and we did not understand why he would be off. The man said no worries, he could help us. I don't know his name but he was a skinny guy with sleeve tattoo's. He gets my information and asked that we bare with him while he looks for our paperwork. He comes back and does have the paperwork in hand. He then says he has to do a few things and asked we stand by again... we are there nearly an hour before he finally comes up and says he is ready for us.

Right away, we see in his hand is our personal information and $7159 wrote in blue ink. He then tells us, they don't have any more 2014 models but they would get us in a 2015 for this amount. We can't understand why they don't have a 2014 waiting there for us, we have an appointment and have completed the paperwork! He said they sell a ton of bikes and they must have sold all of them. This of course does not make sense to me considering we had it all set up with Sean. I asked about Sean again and this time was told, he must have went home early. Changing that he was off today..

I begin to understand what is going on so I start to ask more questions about their practices of selling these bikes. I finally say to him I believe this is a bait and switch scam and I felt they never had a bike there to being with. He said we should have placed a down payment on the bike, which I said I would have however we were never asked to. I said to him I feel that the reason we were not asked to put a down payment on this bike was because they never had the bike to begin with so they would not be liable to producing said bike when we showed up. I asked him why they still had the 2014 bikes listed for sale on Cycletrader if they don't have any and he said, it takes a week or so to pull down the ads.

Nonetheless, they never offered to try and make us a happy customer by offering a discount on the new bike or anything. He acted as if he could care less, it was a take it or leave it deal. So of course I walked out of there, pissed that they wasted my time driving down there and our gas money.

Here is the link to the bikes that are STILL for sale... at least on paper..

I WILL NOT BUY SO MUCH AS A SPARK PLUG FROM THESE GUYS AND ENCOURAGE YOU TO BOYCOTT THE THIEVES AS WELL!!

http://www.cycletrader.com/Georgia-KAWASAKI-Kx-250f-Motorcycles-For-Sal…;
|
DC323
3/5/2015 6:50pm
Well, that blows. Sorry about your luck.
Old-Man
3/5/2015 6:51pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 6:59pm
Damn, sounds like a bunch of shit! Sean probably don't even exist.
Be a good idea to write a strongly worded email to the owners.

What am I saying...with the posts below it sounds like they are the ones behind it.
crusher773
3/5/2015 6:53pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 6:56pm
Yeah when I was doing motorcycle insurance claims they were one of the worst in the country to deal with. You just knew when you got a bike that was going for repairs there they were going to try and screw you. I had more people pull their bikes out of there and go somewhere else than anyone else in the country.
JoJmoto
3/5/2015 6:56pm
I have just learned from talking with a few people on Facebook that they have done this to several people here in our area.

The Shop

Brent
3/5/2015 7:01pm
Never take any salesman's word for anything. Have the approved loan docs e mailed to you before you travel, so if they don't come through it can be breach of contract on their part.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
3/5/2015 7:02pm
Man that sucks!

Keep an eye on your credit if they had your financing data ( SS# ).

We should all give them a call tomorrow and ask to purchase a 2014 KX250..
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/5/2015 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 7:19pm
Lots of times when there are smoking deals advertised on line or a paper they will have a name of a person to ask for, that person does not exist and its a code for the add. You see it in car dealerships more but it does happen in bike shops now. Larger car dealerships are not using that practice as much as they did in the past because for the most part the car buying pubic is better informed because of all the info on the internet (or they should be) . It is almost impossible to nail a deal down over the phone or internet and a waste of time to even try, and that sales technique is as old as a salesman holding on the to keys of your trade so you cant leave. Blush
Out the Door motorsports / OTD cycles was really bad at that kind of scam and I dont think they are even still in business.
JoJmoto
3/5/2015 7:21pm
I think what pissed me off the most was telling the guy on the phone that I did not want to haggle over price, tell me what you want and if I can do it I will! I did not want any drama from a big sales pitch ect...

Man, my kid is so deserving of a new bike too. He has always rode older stuff. Last year we rode a 2008 kx250f and he pulled more dang starts on that bike and finished up front all year! This year, right now we have a 2009 kx250f he has been riding. Our first LLQ is next weekend and the bike we have is a mod bike so unless we can get a stock bike, he will not be able to ride the limited classes and therefore, limiting our chances at getting into the show just that much more..
3/5/2015 7:37pm
Brent wrote:
Never take any salesman's word for anything. Have the approved loan docs e mailed to you before you travel, so if they don't come through it...
Never take any salesman's word for anything. Have the approved loan docs e mailed to you before you travel, so if they don't come through it can be breach of contract on their part.
You always paint with such a broad brush?
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
3/5/2015 7:38pm
JoJmoto confirms it that you are not the only one. I would print the add and turn them into the better business bureau. For real, the BBB don't joke around.
hbdesigns913
3/5/2015 7:52pm
Sorry to hear that. I tried to buy a bike from them once ( Marietta store) and realized that low price is bs. Just a way to get you in the door. Do yourself a favor and go to Kawasaki of Rome. Awesome family owned dealer. They will always work with you on price
hillbilly
3/5/2015 8:53pm
IMO the otd price should been the 4811 ,no fee bullshit. Wth fee would be that amount but profit.

It a shop is wanting shed of last year stock the price is the price.

Call sean tomorrow and cuss him with words you made up driving home, knowing myself it is what I'd do so i wouldn't be mad for days.
Brtp4
3/5/2015 9:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 9:09pm
JoJmoto wrote:
So we wanted to buy a new bike for Lane for his birthday which is in a couple weeks, he has never had a new bike...
So we wanted to buy a new bike for Lane for his birthday which is in a couple weeks, he has never had a new bike before. I was searching Cycletrader.com and found Mountain Motorsports advertising left over 2014 Kawasaki kx250f's for $4611.00 So, I call the Lawrenceville store and spoke with a salesman. I was told the out the door price for this bike would be $5800. He went over the cost as such. $4611 for bike, $890 for set up and fees and 6% sales tax. Grand total, $5840.00. I asked if they had a bike at the store and was told no, the Marietta store had all the Kawasaki's but he could have one brought over.

I said I would fill out the finance paperwork on their website. On Monday, March 2, 2015, I was contacted by a salesman named Sean from the Marietta store. He said he had great news, we qualified for financing on the 2014 kx250f. I explained to him we could come down on Thursday, March 5, 2015 to sign the paperwork and pick up the bike. He said that would be great.

So today, my wife and I head down there this afternoon, driving the 1 1/2 hour and fighting the Atlanta traffic. We get there and ask for Sean. We were told Sean was off today. We explained that we had an appointment with him to pick up this bike and we did not understand why he would be off. The man said no worries, he could help us. I don't know his name but he was a skinny guy with sleeve tattoo's. He gets my information and asked that we bare with him while he looks for our paperwork. He comes back and does have the paperwork in hand. He then says he has to do a few things and asked we stand by again... we are there nearly an hour before he finally comes up and says he is ready for us.

Right away, we see in his hand is our personal information and $7159 wrote in blue ink. He then tells us, they don't have any more 2014 models but they would get us in a 2015 for this amount. We can't understand why they don't have a 2014 waiting there for us, we have an appointment and have completed the paperwork! He said they sell a ton of bikes and they must have sold all of them. This of course does not make sense to me considering we had it all set up with Sean. I asked about Sean again and this time was told, he must have went home early. Changing that he was off today..

I begin to understand what is going on so I start to ask more questions about their practices of selling these bikes. I finally say to him I believe this is a bait and switch scam and I felt they never had a bike there to being with. He said we should have placed a down payment on the bike, which I said I would have however we were never asked to. I said to him I feel that the reason we were not asked to put a down payment on this bike was because they never had the bike to begin with so they would not be liable to producing said bike when we showed up. I asked him why they still had the 2014 bikes listed for sale on Cycletrader if they don't have any and he said, it takes a week or so to pull down the ads.

Nonetheless, they never offered to try and make us a happy customer by offering a discount on the new bike or anything. He acted as if he could care less, it was a take it or leave it deal. So of course I walked out of there, pissed that they wasted my time driving down there and our gas money.

Here is the link to the bikes that are STILL for sale... at least on paper..

I WILL NOT BUY SO MUCH AS A SPARK PLUG FROM THESE GUYS AND ENCOURAGE YOU TO BOYCOTT THE THIEVES AS WELL!!

http://www.cycletrader.com/Georgia-KAWASAKI-Kx-250f-Motorcycles-For-Sal…;
delete

BP
Grieby54
3/5/2015 9:15pm
Brent wrote:
Never take any salesman's word for anything. Have the approved loan docs e mailed to you before you travel, so if they don't come through it...
You always paint with such a broad brush?
No kidding. There are certainly some liars out there, but that's a small minority of them.
gharmon
3/5/2015 9:17pm
JoJmoto wrote:
I think what pissed me off the most was telling the guy on the phone that I did not want to haggle over price, tell me...
I think what pissed me off the most was telling the guy on the phone that I did not want to haggle over price, tell me what you want and if I can do it I will! I did not want any drama from a big sales pitch ect...

Man, my kid is so deserving of a new bike too. He has always rode older stuff. Last year we rode a 2008 kx250f and he pulled more dang starts on that bike and finished up front all year! This year, right now we have a 2009 kx250f he has been riding. Our first LLQ is next weekend and the bike we have is a mod bike so unless we can get a stock bike, he will not be able to ride the limited classes and therefore, limiting our chances at getting into the show just that much more..
what class do yall run? What series. We hit some ga races throughout the year.
PEPE001
3/5/2015 9:23pm
some comments from me!

I would never buy a bike from them if I go racing and in need of Parts.
They don't even have a clutch cover Gasket from current bikes.
And hey they usually are the same for Years.

If I desperately need something I might go there but buying a bike no don't gone happen.
bryan
3/5/2015 10:55pm
Bummer deal. I'd call about the same bike from a different number and see if they try the same setup again.
JoJmoto
3/6/2015 3:26am
hillbilly wrote:
IMO the otd price should been the 4811 ,no fee bullshit. Wth fee would be that amount but profit. It a shop is wanting shed of...
IMO the otd price should been the 4811 ,no fee bullshit. Wth fee would be that amount but profit.

It a shop is wanting shed of last year stock the price is the price.

Call sean tomorrow and cuss him with words you made up driving home, knowing myself it is what I'd do so i wouldn't be mad for days.
Oh he even tried to say that the $5800 was the wrong price I was quoted anyway. He said there was another $279 "Bike set up fee" so the OTD price Sean should have told me was about $6100+ OTD...

The $890 was for them having the bike "Shipped" in from Kawasaki..
JoJmoto
3/6/2015 3:27am
JoJmoto wrote:
I think what pissed me off the most was telling the guy on the phone that I did not want to haggle over price, tell me...

gharmon wrote:
what class do yall run? What series. We hit some ga races throughout the year.
He will run the C class this year. Not sure what local racing we will do but I know we are hitting a few LLQ's, starting next weekend.
tomm55x
3/6/2015 3:52am
This is a very old sales tactic still used by new car dealers to this day. 1st they put a deal out there to good to be true, that gets the phones ringing.2nd they get your information to see how much credit you have and what you could possibly finance. 3rd you go there and find out the person you talked to isn't there and or got fired or quit, it's never the same guy you talk to on the phone, they do that so they don't feel ashamed of themselves. 4th well buddy that deal just sold out yesterday, is what they tell you, but you have good credit so you can afford this model for only a few thousand more, those bastards is what anyone in your situation thinks but alot of the time people walk out buying something they were not intending to buy at all. Sorry for your situation and you are right in not purchasing anything from them.
354racing
3/6/2015 3:55am
A friend of mine talked to them about a so called good deal they had on a 2012 YZ450f which turned out to be a JOKE! by the time they finished adding the out the door price was stupid! Avoid these idiots !
Corey_North
3/6/2015 5:28am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2015 5:29am
Give Paul at Extreme Powersports in Columbus, GA a call, they will treat you right. Paul is the GM and tell him I gave you his name.
fidiot
3/6/2015 5:39am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2015 5:39am
What a bunch of theives! I'll be sure to spread the word and never do business with them.
steveada
3/6/2015 5:50am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2015 5:57am
I have had bad experiences with that dealership. They advertise a great price, then add incredible fees. I did get 1 good deal there a few years ago, but that was only because I raised a stink. I did the same thing you did, called about a good advertised price, talked to the salesman and made a deal. The only difference is I asked for a quote showing all fees and an oTD price, and I put down a deposit. He did tell me I didn't have to, but I insisted. I also asked for the VIN so I could check my credit union for a loan. Drove 2 1/2 hours to the store, and they told me the guy I had talked to wasn't there but they would help me. The bike was supposed to be ready but it was still in the crate. Then they said that my salesman had made a mistake and the real price would be close to $1000 more. I had a printout of their quote in my hand showing the complete cost breakdown, my deposit amount, and the remaining balance. We sat around for another 45 minutes before they finally came back and said the boss had approved the sale, but the salesman that gave me the quote was in deep sh*t and the $1000 was coming out of his paycheck, as if it was my fault. We then sat there another 1 1/2 hours while they did the "$800 prep" on the bike (put on front wheel and handlebars). I have bought 3 bikes since then and don't even bother calling them no matter what price they advertise.
Walter
3/6/2015 5:53am
JoJmoto confirms it that you are not the only one. I would print the add and turn them into the better business bureau. For real, the...
JoJmoto confirms it that you are not the only one. I would print the add and turn them into the better business bureau. For real, the BBB don't joke around.
In many places the BBB does not have any teeth. All they can do is label the offending business as scam artists w/o more. Scam businesses just let this slide off them.

A better course would to, in addition to the BBB complaint, send a professionally sounding letter that avoids shrill or abusive language and tone to the consumer fraud/protection departments of the county and state prosecuting agencies.

Send the same letter to the state dealer licensing authority.

Finally, send the same letter with some modification to Kawasaki saying how you love the brand, but these folks are giving the big K a bad name by their abusive practices.

All three of these entities have some real teeth.
RPM93
3/6/2015 6:04am
these guys have been buying up all the local dealerships and are trying to monopolize the ATL area. I have some friends that have dealt with them in the recent months with some good and some bad experiences. Sorry to hear about your experience.
I sure hope Mountain Motorsports see's this so they can fix the internal issues. I am very happy we now have a new KTM dealer in Cumming GA. Good guys and fair deals. They also stock parts. KTMWorld is also very fair and stocks tons of parts.
I know you were looking for green but check out the orange guys they are doing things differently!!!
Good luck with the racing and the new bike.
Like Dennis says - Old and Slow but always ready to go!
ChrisB10
3/6/2015 6:07am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2015 6:11am
At the very least it's a poorly run business but you're right it could definitely of been bait n switch. Dissapointing for sure. On a side note I'm still shocked parents by their kids $6000 birthday presents. Must be nice!
steveada
3/6/2015 6:17am
I will tell you what has worked for me buying new bikes. We would all like to buy locally, but sometimes local dealerships just don't have what you want, or they just don't give you a competitive price. Also, I don't like driving 2-3 hours each way to semi local dealers who refuse to make a firm deal unless you walk in to their store. So the last 3 bikes I bought came from Ohio, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. You would think it is a big hassle getting the bikes shipped, and all the paperwork done etc, but it is not. It costs around $250 to $300 to have a crated bike shipped by fedex, and they either deliver it to your door or you can pick it up at the local terminal. This is less than most dealers charge for setup. I guess what I am saying is don't ignore a good deal just because you think the dealer is too far away.
IWreckALot
3/6/2015 6:17am
steveada wrote:
I have had bad experiences with that dealership. They advertise a great price, then add incredible fees. I did get 1 good deal there a few...
I have had bad experiences with that dealership. They advertise a great price, then add incredible fees. I did get 1 good deal there a few years ago, but that was only because I raised a stink. I did the same thing you did, called about a good advertised price, talked to the salesman and made a deal. The only difference is I asked for a quote showing all fees and an oTD price, and I put down a deposit. He did tell me I didn't have to, but I insisted. I also asked for the VIN so I could check my credit union for a loan. Drove 2 1/2 hours to the store, and they told me the guy I had talked to wasn't there but they would help me. The bike was supposed to be ready but it was still in the crate. Then they said that my salesman had made a mistake and the real price would be close to $1000 more. I had a printout of their quote in my hand showing the complete cost breakdown, my deposit amount, and the remaining balance. We sat around for another 45 minutes before they finally came back and said the boss had approved the sale, but the salesman that gave me the quote was in deep sh*t and the $1000 was coming out of his paycheck, as if it was my fault. We then sat there another 1 1/2 hours while they did the "$800 prep" on the bike (put on front wheel and handlebars). I have bought 3 bikes since then and don't even bother calling them no matter what price they advertise.
I would have insisted them loading it up in the crate and I'd take it home and save the $800. . . I am not a sales rep but I dealt with probably a dozen different sales reps a day in a previous position (non motorcycle related). They would say ANYTHING to get their way. I refused to talk to one sales rep and told him to speak with his manager. If the manager disagreed, I'd talk to the manager. He called back saying he was the manager. . .

Glad you pulled one over on those idiots at this stealership. . .

I agree with Brad 460. I think we need to all give them a call asking for the same deal and lead them on. . . Waste their time.

Post a reply to: Mountain Motorsports bait and switch scam!

The Latest