Mount Rushmore MX

Related:
Create New Tag

9/7/2020 6:54 PM

I thought it was pretty cool when they asked rider who they would pick to be on Mount Rushmore. Kind of curious to see who you guys would pick. Since Mount Rushmore is about the US Presidents let’s keep it US riders only.

My picks would be:
Bob Hannah
Jeremy McGrath
Ricky Carmichael
Ryan Villopoto

|

9/7/2020 7:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2020 7:03 PM

Hannah, Carmichael, McGrath, Stewart

|

9/7/2020 7:02 PM

Ricky Carmichael
Jeremy McGrath
Ricky Johnson
Bob Hannah

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

9/7/2020 7:10 PM

Strictly MX?

RC – No explanation.

JS – 125 best ever and had to deal with the GOAT.

Wardy – Mr USA 875

Hannah – Lore and titles

Notable exception: RV – 5 chips, won each he contested fully and legendary MXdN rides. RJ – cause RJ.

Include SX? Buckwheat might have to go in favour of MC, and swap RJ and Wardy.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/7/2020 7:13 PM

RC
James Stewart
Roger Decoster
Jeremy McGrath

|

9/7/2020 7:16 PM

dkurtd wrote:

Ricky Carmichael
Jeremy McGrath
Ricky Johnson
Bob Hannah

I agree
Hannah best of the 70’s
RJ best of the 80’s
McGrath best of the 90’s
RC best of the 2000’s

|

9/7/2020 7:19 PM

RC
RJ
Ward
RD

|

9/7/2020 7:28 PM

Would be a tough one to name 4. I think the best way to do it , would be to recreate it to hold like 20 people haha. Been a fan for too long , and it's hard not to include a lot of guys. Lot's of legends out there in their own right.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

9/7/2020 7:32 PM

Came here assuming it was going to be a complaining thread about how they don’t need to talk about it 5 times every week. Glad I was wrong!

|

9/7/2020 7:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2020 7:33 PM

Definitely McGrath, Carmichael and Stewart.

The 4th pick would be a toss up though. I’d say Pastrana if it’s Moto but NOT strictly racing though

|

9/7/2020 9:03 PM

As I stated in the other thread, my Mount Rushmore is:

DeCoster
RC
MC
Everts

Carioli on deck with Ward in the wings. JS doesn't have the titles to compete for a spot on Mount Rushmore, sorry-FMOP for a time, absolutely. Longevity, consistency, and titles, not even close.

|

"If you don't put your work ahead of your talent, you won't win." Mike Babcock

9/7/2020 9:06 PM

Hannah
Carmichael
Johnson/Ward
McGrath/Stewart

|

RIP Danny "Magoo" Chandler 1959-2010

9/7/2020 9:11 PM

Sorry but this is MX and McGrath is no where close to Mt. Rushmore status in MX. RV? Come on, he was good, but not top-4 all time. Stewart was great, he changed the game, but he wasn't a complete racer. Stew only has 1 450 MX title. Between RV and Stew they have the same number of premier class titles as Tomac!

Gotta be:

RC - no explanation
RJ - he did it all - SX/MX/MXDN, 250, 500, he was also one of the first to put the US on the world map for motocross in terms of speed but also style. Plus he has 5 US MX titles (250 & 500). That puts him 2nd all time in premier class titles behind RC.
Everts - 10X World champ, over 100 GP wins
Cairoli - 9 world titles, 6 MXdN moto wins, won first MXGP at age 19 and still winning at age 34!

|

9/7/2020 9:36 PM

TriRacer-who said MX only? And it can't be US only either. DeCoster-5X 500cc World Championships, not to mention his Trans AMA titles and multi Des Nations titles as a rider and as a manager. Never mind his accomplishments as a team manager and bringing KTM to their current heights-not alone but a huge factor. No single person has been more influential in our sport than DeCoster.

MC-7 SX titles and 72 wins puts him on MT Rushmore without even adding his MX title. MC changed the game.

RC-No brainer as you say and changed the game again.

Everts-totally agree

|

9/7/2020 9:51 PM

Smith
Hannah
McGrath
Carmichael.

|

9/7/2020 10:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2020 10:39 PM

TriRacer27 wrote:

Sorry but this is MX and McGrath is no where close to Mt. Rushmore status in MX. RV? Come on, he was good, but not top-4 all time. Stewart was great, he changed the game, but he wasn't a complete racer. Stew only has 1 450 MX title. Between RV and Stew they have the same number of premier class titles as Tomac!

Gotta be:

RC - no explanation
RJ - he did it all - SX/MX/MXDN, 250, 500, he was also one of the first to put the US on the world map for motocross in terms of speed but also style. Plus he has 5 US MX titles (250 & 500). That puts him 2nd all time in premier class titles behind RC.
Cairoli - 9 world titles, 6 MXdN moto wins, won first MXGP at age 19 and still winning at age 34!

I would absolutely include MC and Stewart (even though I forgot MC in my Qualifying Thread post...). They both, literally, changed the way racers ride motorcycles - on both sides of the Atlantic.

|

9/7/2020 11:17 PM

As long as it's not built on stolen land.

|

9/7/2020 11:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2020 11:47 PM

For motocross only:

RC, James, RJ, RV. All four were dominant at their best. Remember RV has 5 titles total, Dungey only has 4 and RV owned Dungey in every outdoor series they raced together.

Hard to leave off Hannah, Glover, and Ward too. I was not a big fan of those 6 round 250 and 500 series back in the day, and to me those titles seem a little less valued especially the 500 class.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

9/8/2020 1:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2020 1:35 AM

This is a crazy stat but Ryan Dungey has 39 450 outdoor wins and James Stewart has 20. Villo has 12. Who would have believed that if they were told so? I would have believed Dungey had more than Stewart but not 19 more.

Regardless I would have to put RC and Stewart on the mountain and leave the other two spots for the guys that came before. Personally I’ve have to pick Hannah and RJ.

|

9/8/2020 4:31 AM

RC
Stew
MC2
Villo

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/

9/8/2020 4:41 AM

TriRacer27 wrote:

Gotta be:

RC - no explanation

This

|

9/8/2020 5:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2020 5:05 AM

If it is only domestic riders. (American only):

RC - No question.
McGrath - No question.
Marty Smith - Really the first racer that put America on the map for mx.
RJ/Hannah - That is a toss up. Both were awesome!

World (All nations):

Decoster - No question.
Everts - No question.
RC - No question.
McGrath - No question.

|

9/8/2020 6:12 AM

Brad Lackey (For carrying the American Flag in Europe alone for all those years)
Marty Smith (First rock star of moto)
Jeremy McGrath (Made SX for TV)
Ricky Carmichael (He's RC)

If a world MX one?

Decoster
Stefan Everts
RC4

*Conflicted on the last one....Gaston Rahier? Wantanabe? Lackey? Robert? Mikkola?

|

9/8/2020 6:22 AM

Roger DeCoster
Bob Hannah
Jeff Ward
RC

|

9/8/2020 6:26 AM

Original 44 wrote:

I thought it was pretty cool when they asked rider who they would pick to be on Mount Rushmore. Kind of curious to see who you guys would pick. Since Mount Rushmore is about the US Presidents let’s keep it US riders only.

My picks would be:
Bob Hannah
Jeremy McGrath
Ricky Carmichael
Ryan Villopoto

Isn't Decoster kind of an American rider?

He did race in the US. He did run a few early SX races. He has been Team USA manager since like 1932 and he is now a US Citizen

Not trying to argue, just sell my case.

What do we say?
Is Decoster an "American rider?"
|

9/8/2020 6:42 AM

TriRacer27 wrote:

Gotta be:

RC - no explanation

Mt Rushmore doesn't have the Italian President or Belgian King on it...

And since it's outdoors, and national titles are national titles, regardless of class... then 125 = 250 or 250 = 450... or 500. And if you want to be a dick about it, the record books don't show a lot of the old school titles were 6 or 9 rounds.... not 12 like now...

So...

RV won 3 straight small bike titles (that's a very short list) and two premier titles against some big hitters... plus legendary and then clutch MXdN rides...

And James is the winningest small bike rider, believe he's very high on total wins and ran a perfect big bike season. Again, a very very short list.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/8/2020 7:12 AM

Given the fact that Mount Rushmore is a memorial to the founding fathers.....

Roger DeCoster
Brad Lackey
Bob Hannah
David Bailey

|

9/8/2020 7:16 AM

bents wrote:

TriRacer-who said MX only? And it can't be US only either. DeCoster-5X 500cc World Championships, not to mention his Trans AMA titles and multi Des Nations titles as a rider and as a manager. Never mind his accomplishments as a team manager and bringing KTM to their current heights-not alone but a huge factor. No single person has been more influential in our sport than DeCoster.

MC-7 SX titles and 72 wins puts him on MT Rushmore without even adding his MX title. MC changed the game.

RC-No brainer as you say and changed the game again.

Everts-totally agree

TriRacer, I'm quoting myself because clearly I can't read-the thread title had MX only-my bad.

|

9/8/2020 7:22 AM

Alright, for Americans only, I'm picking:

RC: Greatest all-around racer in the sport's history
MC: Greatest in SX
Hannah: The first early dominant force, influenced generations
Stew: Fastest man ever, revolutionized the way we ride

|

9/8/2020 7:53 AM

visser62 wrote:

Alright, for Americans only, I'm picking:

RC: Greatest all-around racer in the sport's history
MC: Greatest in SX
Hannah: The first early dominant force, influenced generations
Stew: Fastest man ever, revolutionized the way we ride

If we are including MX and SX I could not argue with this.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.