Motovan versus Enclosed Trailer

Cmiller493
Edited Date/Time 5/7/2015 7:45am
I am sure there are threads about this but thought I would post another. I am looking to get either a trailer or a motovan and wanted to know what your guys' opinions on them and which you would rather have. I currently have a 2005 Chevy Silverado but am looking to trade it in to get a nice cargo van. My parents think I should get a trailer but not sure if I want to deal with hauling a trailer around given that a lot of times it is just me going to races alone. Just wanted to get your guys' opinions and thoughts!
|
hvaughn88
10/6/2013 9:45am
One thought I have always had about vans vs enclosed trailers is a bit on the pessimistic side. If, god forbid, something bad happens at the track (injury, emergency, etc.) it would be alot easier to just lock all your stuff up in the trailer, leave it there to come back for it later and leave quickly in your vehicle instead of needing to load everything up in a van because it's your transportation and storage. That being said, I have always wanted to have the van instead but it's just a scenario that does come to mind.
cody331
10/6/2013 9:48am
If it's just you why not stick with the truck and haul it in the bed? IMO, a motovan might be impractical as a daily driver because you'll have to take out the back seats which will limit the number of passengers you can have, not to mention if you spill anything you have the smell in there all the time.

The Shop

josh8811
10/6/2013 10:16am
Vans require gas, tires, insurance, etc.. Not to mention vans are small. You can't exactly work on your bike inside a van. A 6x12 enclosed is cheaper to own way easier to deal with, hold a lot ,ore bikes and gear, requires very little up keep.
Trav138
10/6/2013 10:18am
I also say van. What are you using now? I used my truck for years, but i was only going for the day and at most 2-3 hours from home. A trailer would be the cheaper route if you already have something to pull it, both have advantages depending on your situation.
mx_563
10/6/2013 10:19am Edited Date/Time 10/6/2013 10:22am
I have struggled with the same question time and time again. The trailer is low maintenance and low cost. But storage space for it can be an issue, as is maneuverability. Also, unless you add windows to it, using it for camping at the track is questionable.

The van is great but if it serves as your only vehicle, then you better have some "game" because most girls aren't going to be impressed with your E-series.

I have a van and I like it because a) I'm married and not trying to impress women with my ride, b) sometimes I roll up to the track or riding area late the night before a ride/race and I can just climb into the back and I'm ready for the night c) drive-thrus are easy, as is parking in most places, d) when I get home from a long weekend of moto, I can just park the thing easily and be done with it. Depending on where you live, the trailer could require more effort to put away/park.

What I miss, is the ability to put a workbench inside and be able to stand up (I have an E-series van). The ultimate would be a Sprinter but I can't afford one.

Best of luck dude.
10/6/2013 11:11am
I though for a while that I wanted a van then I got to borrow one for about a week.
Just was not comfortable at all as a daily driver.
Have a truck and haul in the bed but also have an enclosed if I need it.
Cmiller493
10/6/2013 11:49am
I drive a 2005 Chevy Crew Cab that I currently just haul my bike(s) with but it would be nice to have something to sleep in so I am not mooching off my friends' campers at races. The pros I see of a van are ease of driving around with it versus a trailer but a trailer also has much more space. I don't have the money to buy a reliable van AND keep my truck. I live in Kansas but am thinking about racing the Texas Winter Series this winter so I need something that I can rely to make that trip. My only worries with a trailer is how crappy of gas mileage I would get with it. Thank you guys for the advice! I appreciate it!
jtiger12
10/6/2013 11:55am
If it's your only vehicle, I don't know why you would even consider a van. Those things are kryptonite to.your sex life. Trailers are cheap compared to a van, I'm not sure why they get such a bad rap. They aren't that hard to.hook up and drive with, and when you are done for the day you are done. Park it and walk away.
jmb227
10/6/2013 12:03pm
Go the Trailer route. When your not riding you will hate the van. I raced out of the back of a trailer and slept inside it all the time with no issues. Just got a small air mattress and slept inside it, Make sure it has a side door on it so you can stay fully locked up at night. I got a 7x14 enclosed V nose tandem axle trailer at a local trailer shop for $3K brand new. It gets used for so much other stuff besides just having bikes in it. Definitely one of the best buys i have purchased over the years.
Cmiller493
10/6/2013 12:17pm
Well you guys are pretty much giving me the answer I needed! I will probably go ahead and get a trailer. Thanks for all your help guys!!
Tim507
10/6/2013 12:18pm
Enclosed trailer would be my vote for all the reasons previously stated........ and get one of these. Over the years I have had and used everything there is. The trailer winsSmile

captmoto
10/6/2013 12:24pm
Trailer. Way easy to load for my 56 year old fat ass. It's great at night to pull in and just park it. And to load it completely load it the night before a race/ride. The biggest issue is storing it but it's hard to beat. I have complete basic tool box, cleaning, lubes, rags, paper towels, gas can and tie downs in mine. I usually clean and prep my bike early and just leave it in there. It's funny but sometimes when I pull out I wonder if I forgot something since I just maybe put an ice chest in it in the morning and go.
BigDaddyG
10/6/2013 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2013 12:26pm
As a new motovan owner- THEY KICK ASS. Although one can stand up in a trailer which I think is the only drawback to the motovan.
JB 19
10/6/2013 5:32pm
Van.

You can tow a trailer if you want with it, but if you choose not tow a trailer all of your stuff is safe inside.

This spring I picked up an 06 Chevy Express 3500, passenger, extended length for about 7000$. It has the 6.0 engine so I also tow my 27 ft camper with it. I left one bench seat in for my kids to sit in and still have room for full size bikes plus about 2 feet behind the bikes.

I also use it for hauling stuff from the lumber yard and its nice because everything can be left inside the van over night.

For guys saying that vans are gay....I don't think there is anything cooler than a van. I just wish mine had a Duramax.
ob
10/6/2013 8:00pm
I've done it both ways just like lots of other guys on here. If you aren't serious and only need to haul your stuff every now and then, then a trailer is fine. If you wanna or need to have your stuff with you all the time, get a extended van. Wall the back off and put a folding bench in front of the wall. Way more room than an extra cab truck for giving people rides, plus you can sleep incognito where ever you have to go. Also a van gets way better mileage than towing a trailer with a gas truck. Also lots easier to drive. Of course a cheap junk work van doesn't ride that nice so splurge on a nice one. Just my two cents, hope it helps. Moto vans are the shit!
Greg726
10/7/2013 7:42am
I had a trailer and a extended van for years. Decide to sell the van and get 4 door truck, been kicking myself since. I get horrible fuel millage pulling my 6 x 12 enclosed trailer behind the truck. I would recommend going with a van.
10/7/2013 8:07am
I put the bikes in the van and tow a small trailer on longer trips for the amenities. Short trips, just the van which is insulated and finished
off a bit(small sink and 10 gallon water tank). Seating for 4 and a dog.
MiSledder
10/7/2013 9:12am

Only way to go IMO, bbuild it right and its quiet like a car and you wont smell or here anything in back, Stay in a hotel and no one will know whats in it, No messing with trailers
10/7/2013 10:20am
I have a 6x12 fully equipped with water tanks, workbench, external speakers with sattelite radio, etc etc. But I RARELY use it because it kills my mileage. With the 5.3 in my 07 GMC 1500 mileage drops from 17-18 down to 12 if I drive like an old lady or 10 if I drive like normal.
peelout
10/7/2013 11:02am
if you go with a trailer, make sure you get one with a regular hinged door and not the fold down ramp door.

tough to get a bit of ass or a blower before your moto if you have to deal with folding up the rear door all the time
BroFoSho
10/7/2013 11:38am

I've got just a basic 6x10 enclosed trailer. Put in a no-tie-down system in. Can carry 3 bikes, or 2 bikes and a metric ass-ton of gear/supplies.

Towing it with a Nissan Pathfinder. It gets about 18mpg on the highway normally, that drops to about 12-13mpg with the trailer after putting low profile tires on the trailer to lower it.

It's nice, if I am really lazy I can leave the bikes in there for days before unloading them. Can load up the night before. I like it.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
10/7/2013 5:20pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2013 5:20pm
MOTO VAN'S are core MX.
motoracer633
10/7/2013 5:38pm
jtiger12 wrote:
If it's your only vehicle, I don't know why you would even consider a van. Those things are kryptonite to.your sex life. Trailers are cheap compared...
If it's your only vehicle, I don't know why you would even consider a van. Those things are kryptonite to.your sex life. Trailers are cheap compared to a van, I'm not sure why they get such a bad rap. They aren't that hard to.hook up and drive with, and when you are done for the day you are done. Park it and walk away.
find some game. go faster. do something. the van is quite proven by the mx community!
10/7/2013 6:34pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2013 6:36pm
Motovan all day. Build the motovan. Put a heavy duty hitch on her. Because once you're done with the motovan you'll find yourself filling that SOB up and driving down south with a trailer full of buddies loaded up to the max.

Get a seat out of the back of a conversion van and you got yourself a bed. I got pics of my work in progress, i'll post wednesday. She's almos done.

Also, don't advertise. Just tint out the windows so it looks like a contractor van. Saves you in hotels by sleeping in the van.

I will say, get an EXTENDED chevy express or GMC savanna. Don't get a 6 cyl van. Gas mileage is actually worse than the 8 cyl.

In february I load my van up with 3 dirtbikes. 450, 250 and 85. Haul a trailer with my dads harley and my victory kingpin. And it's the best 3 weeks in february down south anyone can imagine.

Start at the daytona 500, drive home after the Daytona SX. Get a few hundred miles on the motorcycles and about 5-8 hours on the dirtbikes.....
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
10/7/2013 6:49pm
A van is the only way to go. I don't use mine for a daily driver but Its fun just to drive. I had a trailer also but will never be with out a van.

Post a reply to: Motovan versus Enclosed Trailer

The Latest