Motovan conversions...

Related:
Create New Tag

11/11/2009 2:48 PM

Has anyone got experience in converting a Sprinter into a Bike Hauler?

|

11/11/2009 2:57 PM

Dubach, Alessi...etc. I think that's a good start.

Doug's main -2- bitches are:

1. Doesn't get very good mileage/not much power (Think he has the early 5 cylinder, tho. He even comments that,"At-least my Ford had some power!")

2. He can't count all the times/days it's been in the shop for repairs (Intake Resonator, I think).

You can get a Box-Van from Ford or Chevy nowadays for a lot less money than a Sprinter.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

11/11/2009 3:43 PM

http://sprinter-source.com/

check there, welcome to the sprinter world. Doug must have got the 1 lemon. there are countless sprinters with well over 500,000 mi still going strong.
Doesnt get good mileage, its not a hybrid but it is the most fuel efficent van for its size, I have gotten over 600mi on 1 tank(25gal) several times.
you can always get a chevy/ford van less than a sprinter,

|

11/11/2009 3:53 PM

I drove a sprinter for 2 years. The 5 cylinder version. Great mileage, unless towing a trailer, and apart from a problem with the central locking we had no problems at all. Took it to a Dodge dealer for the lock problem maybe three times. Found a Mercedes Truck dealer and took it there and they fixed it right away. I got it second hand and the conversion was done already so i am sorry i cant point you to who did it.

|

11/11/2009 5:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2009 5:34 PM

Dubach must be on crack... no motovan or box van compares to a Sprinter. Mine is the 5 cylinder 3500, (dually), and it gets 20mpg on the highway as long as you keep it below 75mph. A couple of friends with 2500s are reporting about 24mpg highway. Aside from the impressive mileage and reliability, being able to stand up is an awesome benefit (if you have the tall roof). Mine isn't close to being completed, as school keeps me from devoting too much time to it. However, it does have a partition, wheel chocks and an RB components sleeper/sofa, which is a good start.

|

11/11/2009 5:40 PM

There are some nice ones here.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/3_bikes.html

|

11/11/2009 7:31 PM

I wouldn't mind making it myself but its not like there is a ton of plans out there...

|

11/11/2009 7:43 PM

I just got a Ford Econoline. I basically plan on put in a partition with a couch up from, Carpet on the walls, rubber mat on the ground or linoleum for easy sweeping, Wheel chocks, Some drawers or some type of box for my gear and tools.

Anyone know of any graphics companies who can do something nice and on the cheaper side for the outside? I'm just looking for a name and number type design nothing too flashy

|

11/11/2009 7:52 PM

you want to check british moto sites... plenty of advice/ideas about van conversions, it's how we do things over there

|

A Year In MX: One Man, One Year, One Sport
All 13 MX races on US soil
http://www.ayearinmx.com

11/11/2009 7:57 PM

WORCSRacer wrote:

I wouldn't mind making it myself but its not like there is a ton of plans out there...

You can do it. This is the age of the computer. Nice to say you did it yourself when it's finished.

|

11/11/2009 8:12 PM

ayearinmx wrote:

you want to check british moto sites... plenty of advice/ideas about van conversions, it's how we do things over there

Any good links? I'd appreciate the leads.

|

11/11/2009 8:39 PM

dude, check out the sprinter source forum, link is above, go down to rv conversion section or section that is your van, mine is the TN1, you can also use the search feature, have seen several moto vans on there, plenty of plans, pics and tips, if you look.

|

11/11/2009 9:15 PM

Moto Mofo wrote:

Dubach must be on crack... no motovan or box van compares to a Sprinter. Mine is the 5 cylinder 3500, (dually), and it gets 20mpg on the highway as long as you keep it below 75mph. A couple of friends with 2500s are reporting about 24mpg highway. Aside from the impressive mileage and reliability, being able to stand up is an awesome benefit (if you have the tall roof). Mine isn't close to being completed, as school keeps me from devoting too much time to it. However, it does have a partition, wheel chocks and an RB components sleeper/sofa, which is a good start.

FYI Team Green can stand up in a chevy van.
So try not to be so insensitive.

|

11/11/2009 9:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2009 10:05 PM

tunedlength wrote:

oops

|

11/11/2009 11:39 PM

|

A Year In MX: One Man, One Year, One Sport
All 13 MX races on US soil
http://www.ayearinmx.com

11/12/2009 5:37 AM

shaner708 wrote:

I just got a Ford Econoline. I basically plan on put in a partition with a couch up from, Carpet on the walls, rubber mat on the ground or linoleum for easy sweeping, Wheel chocks, Some drawers or some type of box for my gear and tools.

Anyone know of any graphics companies who can do something nice and on the cheaper side for the outside? I'm just looking for a name and number type design nothing too flashy

Wraps look dope but also advertise what's inside.

As far as sprinters: I THINK they guys name is Brian Lopes. Do a search for his sprinter endorsement. They sell a model set up for mb racing with living quarters.

|

11/12/2009 5:58 AM

Ti Lube has a 3500, dually, with two more seats added.

It has a removable (full) wall that is insulated and carpeted. It takes two people to remove/install it and it totally seals off the bikes. Makes the heat and a/c work better also.

I haven't heard about any major problems, except I figure you can buy two used conventional vans, for the same price.

|

I don't trust any "Joined Date" later than 2012

11/12/2009 3:00 PM

Moto Mofo wrote:

tunedlength wrote:

Hey!

So can RC!

And Dubach!

So, I'm in good company.

I'm jus' sayin'...

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

11/12/2009 5:07 PM

check out outsidevan.com

|

11/12/2009 6:18 PM

There are sone pretty cool ideas out there for them.

|