Mototown's roof just collapsed.

Related:
Create New Tag

2/7/2011 1:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2011 1:20 PM

Just saw it on the news here in CT that the worlds largest indoor motocross facilities roof has just collapsed. They didn't say if anyone was hurt and are going to have a full story later tonight. Sound's like that is the nail in the coffin for Mototown. I hope no one was hurt!

|

2/7/2011 1:23 PM

Just heard no one was hurt.

|

2/7/2011 1:23 PM

Photo
Photo

You beat me to it. This sux so bad I wan't to cry...
|

2/7/2011 1:29 PM

I'm just glad that wasn't on a practice day

|

2/7/2011 1:31 PM

Not surprising since it was a metal building structure. The need for large spans in between the columns put these buildings at risk in snow storms. Normally you see deflection before they collapse, so they were more than likely aware of the problem and had the place cleared out.

|

Jim Martin

2/7/2011 1:31 PM

I know could you imagine if it was when there was hundreds of people inside! Sucks the place is gone but if you look on the positive, at least no one got hurt.

|

2/7/2011 1:36 PM

Chris O'Neal wrote:

I know could you imagine if it was when there was hundreds of people inside! Sucks the place is gone but if you look on the ...more

Exactly

|

Jim Martin

2/7/2011 1:39 PM

Holy shit!

|

Proud American

2/7/2011 1:49 PM

Your assuming that this building is not insured. If he is, it may come back bigger and better.

|

Jim Martin

2/7/2011 1:49 PM

Yea just spoke to MWoz and he linked me to that! WTF,! Glad no riders were inside!

|

2/7/2011 1:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2011 1:55 PM

He probably had insurance but I would bet everything I own, that there is no way in hell, he will build another one. Only reason the place was even open was cause he couldn't sell it. The owner has been trying to get rid of this place for a long time now. He's probably happy this happened, if he has insurance!

|

2/7/2011 1:56 PM

Check the leaking happening from this past Friday. This is a video still from Friday when I was there. From what I see from the photos, this is the part of the building that collapsed. Crazy stuff and I was just pluggin' out my Rider Video weekend deal there this weekend! Bummer for sure.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

From dirt bikes to dirty strikes! Bowl on PBA tour @wozbowls.

2/7/2011 2:00 PM

The only place to ride all winter up here collapses this sucks! I do somewhat agree about the track being sketchy though not much track maintenence crazy lips fun track but gets pretty crazy with alot of people on there.

|

WFO #229

2/7/2011 2:01 PM

NEMX in ohio is open all year i believe.!

|

2/7/2011 2:04 PM

mxb2 wrote:

NEMX in ohio is open all year i believe.!

To far from new york!! Mapquested that place once 6+ hours.

|

WFO #229

2/7/2011 2:09 PM

Split rail indoor mx also, yea man the east coast sucks for mx til like the end of march/early april! I drove 1400 miles to the mxdn, so 6 hrs is nt much for me, as long as i get 2 days of riding in!

|

2/7/2011 2:11 PM

mxb2 wrote:

Split rail indoor mx also, yea man the east coast sucks for mx til like the end of march/early april! I drove 1400 miles to ...more

Where's split rail? And jeez your nuts that must have been a horrible drive I couldn't even imagine.

|

WFO #229

2/7/2011 2:12 PM

mototown 2
|

2/7/2011 2:13 PM

My dad had a huge indoor horse riding arena, and that was one of my jobs if we got too much snow. Broom the roof, haha.

|

A CEO, A Union Worker, and a Tea Party member are sitting at a table with a dozen cookies. The CEO takes 11 cookies then turns to the Tea Party member and says, "Watch out for that union guy. He wants to take some of your cookie!"

2/7/2011 2:21 PM

yeah, thats what i was thinking, especially if it was leakin. umm, roof is leakin, lots of snow.... what should we do?

|

2/7/2011 2:24 PM

you should learn to chill a bit, you are kid, you only know what you hear. As you grow older hopefully yo will realize that is no way to talk about someone on a public forum...
Now, if you were an adult that has PERSONALLY been swindler by him thats a different story, but thats not the case is it young man...

|

2/7/2011 2:24 PM

I don't know if you are ironic here? If not it was a pretty bad post on your behalf. How can anyone liking MX wish for a track to close? You crazy?

People falling is usually because they ride over their limit? Yeah, blame the track! smile If any docs bitch about riding there, they can go and insert some large objects in their asses. They get paid to repair people.

I have been riding on tracks on more than one continent, and I think it was an amazing track. Did you ride it this season? They had brought in tons of sand and the jumps where perfect for me at least.

This is sad news for everybody that likes dirt bikes, seriously.

|

2/7/2011 2:25 PM

A couple years ago the pipes in the ceiling froze and broke off. Big huge pieces of pipe joints fell from the ceiling and almost hit a flagger!!

|

2/7/2011 2:42 PM

Reality is, that if there were any type of mortgage on the facility, insurance would be required.

|

Jim Martin

2/7/2011 3:11 PM

that place was the biggest waste of money... the guy didnt care about the motocross it was anything to make money like when he had a stupid flat track oval that took over the whole motocross track... happy that no one got hurt and very happy the place wont get another chance to hurt people with the track

|

2/7/2011 3:55 PM

I am not for certain on this, but I think Mototown was self insured as no one would give them a policy due to what the building was used for

|

2/7/2011 4:01 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Sparkalounger,

mxwired has left a comment on your profile:

lol whatever you say big guy

|

2/7/2011 4:08 PM

Glad they were not open.........Someone up above was looking out for the New England area racers........ They should have gotten up on the roof sooner. I'm glad the guys on the roof got off safe.............This should reinforce the "any day could be your (or family members) last day" theory...............

|

Don't Drink the Kool Aid..................

2/7/2011 4:10 PM

Towelie wrote:

I am not for certain on this, but I think Mototown was self insured as no one would give them a policy due to what the ...more

doesn't make sense, tracks get insurance what's the difference? it's a track.

|

2/7/2011 4:19 PM

I'd rather have what you call "an a**hole running a shi**y track" than sit on the couch with my thumb in my butt waiting for the snow to melt.

|