Motorhomes

Edited Date/Time 9/1/2020 12:04pm
Well on my way into researching motorhomes, including a few stops at dealerships with no luck. They seem to be flying off the lot as soon as they hit the websites.

What are you guys running, pros and cons? Did you buy new or used?

Thanks!
|
bh
8/31/2020 9:08pm
My father is in the business of buying a selling RVs here’s some of what he has told me and some of what I’ve noticed.

1. The diesels are better than the gas. My dad has always claimed he would take a 15 year old diesel over a brand new gasser.

2. Not all chassis are the same. Cant off the top of my head remember which chassis has the most storage. Spartan chassis sounds right?

3. He is not a fan of the new diesels with emissions. Just a head ache. One gave us problems on the way back from high voltage gncc a month or two ago.

4. These air ride class A diesel pusher motor homes hand very well. Takes a little getting used to them. But they can go fast and not feel sketchy, they stop on a dime, etc

5. Every time I bring up the idea of us having a toy-hauler or fun lover to him he says they just don’t compare to a diesel pusher and an enclosed trailer.

If your interested I can give you his number. We’re just off I-85 in upstate Sc. He runs a small outfit by himself selling mostly diesel pushers so no dealer will ever be able to compete with his prices (he actually sells some to other big dealers)

And I don’t know if you are including you haulers in your surcharging but imo every toy hauler I’ve seen come though my dads fleet has always had some form of water damage, build cheap, and just don’t seem up to the task of racing every weekend.
mx295
8/31/2020 9:12pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2020 9:13pm
I have a Tiffen Allegro R.E.D 34 foot pusher.. Best RV I’ve ever had. 👍🏼
KTMsc
8/31/2020 10:01pm
We sold our toy hauler and picked up a used diesel pusher and added an enclosed trailer.
Very happy with this setup and it was much cheaper than the new toy haulers we were looking at.
Choose some features you must have, then be prepared to compromise on less important stuff.
I found a coach with the chassis, engine, and transmission I wanted, plus low miles and original owner.
Those were must haves for us, however it is much larger than I need and that can be an issue depending on where you want to go.
Spent 50k on the coach and 9200 on a trailer I custom ordered.
I wanted no emissions and no payments, also did not want to lose a couple hundred grand in depreciation.( we paid 25% of what the coach was new)
If you have a lot of cash to spend or want a lot of payments, the new ones are very nice.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
8/31/2020 10:14pm
I would avoid this kind

In the afternoon of 08/17/20, while traveling on US-395 near the Secret Valley Rest Area, the driver of a motorhome, for unknown reasons, allowed his vehicle to drift to the left off the roadway. The vehicle struck the hillside bordering US-395. The impact caused the entire body of the motorhome to separate from the chassis. The body of the motorhome, including the driver who was still seatbelted in the driver's seat, tipped over on its side onto US-395. Both the body and chassis continued sliding on the roadway before finally coming to a stop in the lanes of US-395.

The Shop

RalphS
8/31/2020 11:12pm
FGR01 wrote:
I would avoid this kind In the afternoon of 08/17/20, while traveling on US-395 near the Secret Valley Rest Area, the driver of a motorhome, for...
I would avoid this kind

In the afternoon of 08/17/20, while traveling on US-395 near the Secret Valley Rest Area, the driver of a motorhome, for unknown reasons, allowed his vehicle to drift to the left off the roadway. The vehicle struck the hillside bordering US-395. The impact caused the entire body of the motorhome to separate from the chassis. The body of the motorhome, including the driver who was still seatbelted in the driver's seat, tipped over on its side onto US-395. Both the body and chassis continued sliding on the roadway before finally coming to a stop in the lanes of US-395.

Hope the driver was wearing brown pants too
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
9/1/2020 3:50am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2020 3:51am
Well on my way into researching motorhomes, including a few stops at dealerships with no luck. They seem to be flying off the lot as soon...
Well on my way into researching motorhomes, including a few stops at dealerships with no luck. They seem to be flying off the lot as soon as they hit the websites.

What are you guys running, pros and cons? Did you buy new or used?

Thanks!
Do lots of research, I went with a used class A diesel pusher and feel sure I made the right choice. Get as much as you can afford. There are certainly brands that are heads and shoulders above others. I wound up trading the class A for a 5th wheel toy hauler, I already had a diesel truck and didn't like having to keep up two drivetrains. I have the toy hauler up for sale and will eventually go back with a class A, I miss is it!
kapaa10
9/1/2020 4:40am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2020 4:41am
I have a class c gas ford v-10. Bulletproof, easier to drive and cheaper to work on then diesel. With diesel costing more then gas in so cal I don’t see the premium of paying for the diesel to be worth it. I just took mine thru 10 states and had an amazing trip.
de883zx
9/1/2020 5:31am
I went with a super c on a Kodak c5500 chassis. Sleeps 10 comfortably and handles like a dream. Went gas for I can flip the hood and access anything to maintain it. BBC Chevy 498 with Allison overdrive transmission. Can tow 10,000lbs. For sale 40k it’s yours currently 55,000 miles

Schlava
9/1/2020 5:48am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2020 5:48am
I have an A Class diesel pusher for sale. Holiday Rambler Ambassador. Let me know if you want the info.

We've had 30ft C; 35ft A gas; 36ftA pusher. From a driving standpoint nothing touched the pusher. The gas motor homes did great and were easy to work on but they got pushed around in the wind by bigger trucks. The diesel pusher is almost on auto pilot. Nothing moves them on the road. A really big difference as well is not sitting on the gas engine and having the engine noise while you drive as well.

There are pluses and minus's to all of them but I'd say do what you can to get your self in some type of diesel rig. You'll never win the battle with gas mileage but the power difference of the motors makes them worth every penny. Our rigs had the ford v10, chevy 8.1 and International 9.3lv6 pusher.
sandtrack315
9/1/2020 6:05am
I had one of those 27 foot toy haulers, cost around 20k (this was 2007). Towed it with a 1500 Dodge Ram. Besides the generator going out a few times, it was great for the price. I sold it for 14k after four years of use. Not bad!

Not sure what you're looking for, but you can squeeze a two parents and three kids in something you can tow, especially if it's a 5th wheel, and then you down own two rapidly depreciating drivetrains.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/1/2020 6:33am
I've never owned a motorhome but some general observation has revealed that during times of high demand they go for insanely high prices and then when the crash comes people can't give them away. 2008-2009 guys were trying to move coaches that they paid $200K for in the $40-60K range it seemed. Numbers are loose and fuzzy from memory but you get the idea.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
9/1/2020 8:27am
FGR01 wrote:
I've never owned a motorhome but some general observation has revealed that during times of high demand they go for insanely high prices and then when...
I've never owned a motorhome but some general observation has revealed that during times of high demand they go for insanely high prices and then when the crash comes people can't give them away. 2008-2009 guys were trying to move coaches that they paid $200K for in the $40-60K range it seemed. Numbers are loose and fuzzy from memory but you get the idea.
....And those days are coming soon. RVs have been selling like hotcakes recently from what I understand. When the economic bubble bursts there will be another big recession and toys of all kinds will be cheap. I'm predicting 2021.
kpiper
9/1/2020 8:37am
It would be great to hear more opinions of a toy hauler trailer vs a motor home.
MotoChris
9/1/2020 8:42am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2020 8:46am
FGR01 wrote:
I've never owned a motorhome but some general observation has revealed that during times of high demand they go for insanely high prices and then when...
You are exactly right! We bought our first motorhome in 2008. Fuel prices were high and RV’s were priced right. We got a great deal on the rig and fuel prices dropped shortly after. We got really lucky with the timing. We put a lot of thought into which configuration would work best for us and decided on the Class A and enclosed trailer. I have been itching for a motorized toy hauler though.
Schlava
9/1/2020 8:52am
kpiper wrote:
It would be great to hear more opinions of a toy hauler trailer vs a motor home.
I now have a 24ft ATC toyhauler that I tow with my F250. I really like this setup the best. It gives me the flexibilty to leave the camp ground or have someone pit for me at our races with my own truck. Your kinda stuck where you camp with a motorhome. I also enjoy driving my truck more. I was just always more comfortable driving it versus the motor homes. Obviously having just a toyhauler is going to be much cheaper as well but really for me it's about the comfort of getting to and from the races along with having my own car at the races.
oceantrav
9/1/2020 9:51am
I bought a 2011 Class A gas for $21k for Lorettas this year, hated the 12 hour drive in it. Sold it after Lorettas for $30K in two days, probably could have got a lot more. Prices are ridiculous right now, they will come down id wait.

Bought a 2500 cummins and a toy hauler for now.
9/1/2020 9:54am
I guess I’m the minority that has a travel trailer and put my bike in the bed of my truck. Way more usable space than a toy hauler. Big bathroom and shower and open floor. Forrest river Salem 22rbs I pull with my 17 ram 1500
JeepnMike
9/1/2020 10:27am
I guess I’m the minority that has a travel trailer and put my bike in the bed of my truck. Way more usable space than a...
I guess I’m the minority that has a travel trailer and put my bike in the bed of my truck. Way more usable space than a toy hauler. Big bathroom and shower and open floor. Forrest river Salem 22rbs I pull with my 17 ram 1500
I wish there was a perfect solution for this stuff. Another perk of the travel trailer/toy hauler route, you are able to take your truck and leave to get groceries, whatever. With an RV, you are sort of stuck where you are at until it is go time. I wanted an RV so bad for the time on the road... My two boys have notable A.D.D. issues, having room for them to move while traveling would be amazing.. However, we spend more time at our destination than driving and you get a lot more comfort and space with a trailer than an RV so we went the trailer route too. The extra space and being able to go places when you reach your destination made more sense to me.

I suspect the OP is very much set on an RV, but just sharing perspective a little, I agree with you.

mister2dt
9/1/2020 10:35am
Ive had 3. By far the absolute best set up is a diesel pusher. My last one was a 42' Damon Ultrasport with the works. Flawless ride, self leveling hydraulic jack system, Onan 5500 watt generator, 50A system. Roaming Dish Network. Easiest to drive, best handling, most comfortable by far. Very little issues from 2006 when new to 2016 when i sold it. Replaced floor batteries 1 time, tires once, aside from that, routine maintenance.
mtndoc_842
Fantasy
297th
9/1/2020 10:42am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2020 10:47am
We are in the market for a nice super C, have spent the last few years in a toy hauler. The super C or a class A diesel + enclosed really seem like the way to go. We looked at a class C, but we want a bunkhouse model and those have essentially no cargo carrying capacity for my wife and two kids plus an enclosed loaded with bikes and gear.

The toy hauler has been nice but there are some things we don't like. For one, the layouts are janky to accommodate the garage and not very comfortable to hang out in at the races. Ours is admittedly small and the bigger ones seem pretty nice. They get super dirty not having a truly separate spot for the gear. The build quality has been pretty bad on our Forest River, mostly little things we easily fix but still annoying. Also, I'm tired of having to pull over all the time for my kids to go to the bathroom, not having my wife free to move around and make dinner, do homework with the kids, etc. Anything longer than 3-4 hour drive to go racing gets pretty tough.
Utrider
Fantasy
1528th
9/1/2020 11:02am
I had a 25ft Class C with a Ford V-10 chassis for about 15 years. It ran great and towed well. As I got older I realized having a made up bed and a bit more room was more important to me than the ease of use and manueverability of the smaller Class C.

5 years ago I bought a then 15 yr old 38ft Class A diesel pusher. What a difference!!! I bought a Safari Zanzibar, it has a Cat diesel engine and the Allison 6 spd, it had about 54k miles on it. It is so much more comfortable in every regard, both driving and when set up. Yes, you have to learn to drive them, but after about 5 miles your brain gets wrapped around it and away you go. I get 8 mpg........the only thing that effects that is head winds or speed. I usually try to tow at 70 and it seems ok at that.

I found mine on RVtrader and did a fly n drive. Great experience, and if you can find one with the original owner they are usually babied as they cost more than their house.

I agree, in a year or two, there are going to be a lot of current rigs available cheap, however,........I don't think based on what I have seen they are screwed together as well as some of the older ones.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
9/1/2020 11:09am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2020 11:15am
Not much to choose from right now because of the demand, but floor plans definitely make a big difference, so check out multiples ones and can go to manufactures' websites to look at floor plans. So people like the bunk beds that are permanently in places. I prefer configurable bedding. Also consider buying a used one now that older and when the craze dies down in a year or 2, can always trade up.

Ask yourself how often you will use it. If you use it 6 or more times a year, might be worth it. Consider storage, does HOA allow them, and maintenance costs. Other wises plan ahead and rent. So many of these RV's just sit around and are the worst investments you will ever make.

Don't buy/share with other families with someone else, you will lose your friends this way.

Don't purchase based on gas mileage on either diesel or gas unless you can afford the Mercedes chassis. They all eat gas so just plan on 11 mpg to 15 mpg depending on towing or how you drive it and live with it. They all suck gas is the reality and will not make a huge saving on this factor using your RV a few times a year. Buy for functionality and whos going with you.

Class C's affordable, but ride/drive rough. Passengers' comfort while in motion is not good.

Class A's more comfort, more expensive to maintain. Class C tire about $99 per tire, Class A tire about $500 a tire.

Anyone will wrench on a gasoline engine, diesel mechanics expensive and hard to come by while traveling if you break down.

I'm happy with our Class C. I would not buy new. I've been to many RV shows and they all have the same things, just decorated differently to look new. Maybe some new info entertainment.

The main reason you would want a toy hauler would be if you want a vehicle at your destination. But can't ride in the trailer in motion. Well, not suppose too. In the RV, your all-together, and my wife will make our coffee and lunch while we are in motion. People can go use the bathroom in motion.

Using an RV to leave camp and back is a pain in the butt. So consider this so you not unhooking and hooking back up to go to say the grocery store or go to town to eat if you plan on using it for camping mainly. If you don't want to trailer, I use the hitch rail, and works great for up to 3 bikes.

skeef
Fantasy
1421st
9/1/2020 11:24am
We've had a gas class A, two super C's, one gas, one diesel. The diesel got slightly better mileage, towed a 22 ft inclosed trailer about the same as the gas.

We came out really well on the diesel and sold it for a 40' Fleetwood Revolution pusher with a 400 CAT on a spartan chaises. Hands down best motorhome we've had.
loftyair
9/1/2020 11:52am
I lived in both a class a and c for many, many years. If I were to do anything again, it would definitely be a regular tow vehicle. Leave it behind and cruise around is so nice. Driving a big ass rig to get some milk sucks ass.
Utrider
Fantasy
1528th
9/1/2020 12:04pm
As many have mentioned, getting around after you arrive somewhere with a MH can be a challenge. I usually throw my scooter in the trailer if I think it will be needed. One other thing we have done rent a car at an off airport location near where I'm staying. It's pretty cheap and the wife just follows me to our destination in the rental car. They can be had pretty damn cheap ( I have spent as little as $13 a day) and just drop it off as you head back home.

We are always towing something with ours, either the bike/sxs/boat so we always have a game plan to deal with getting around, even if it's just a mountain bike. Uber and Lyft are great too if they serve where you are at.

Post a reply to: Motorhomes

The Latest