Motorcycle Helmets are Obsolete One Hit Wonders

Johnny Depp
8/30/2019 6:13pm
I will just leave this here, since a few brands in this thread are being heralded as "breakthrough innovations", but the test results from a 3rd...
I will just leave this here, since a few brands in this thread are being heralded as "breakthrough innovations", but the test results from a 3rd party/unbiased/ leading test lab show the contrary, for bike helmets:

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

Notice the TLD A1 Mips testing dramatically better than other brands mentioned here.

This discussion is about Motorcycle helmets.
Right, because the same exact technology from leading bicycle helmets does not apply [facepalm].
The helmet listed in your test is not the same technology. The nano fusion is in two models of the Kali bicycle helmets and were not involved in that older test. This is new technology.
Johnny Depp
10/11/2019 4:48am
Off Season Bump, because safety matters.

Does anyone know of any other Moto helmet besides the Kali Shiva 2.0 that can withstand multiple impacts?
Forty
10/11/2019 10:35am
Off Season Bump, because safety matters.

Does anyone know of any other Moto helmet besides the Kali Shiva 2.0 that can withstand multiple impacts?
My Arai VX Pro 3 Windham replica took many hits and I raced with it for years/no complaints. I'd be racing it today however the chicken littles of the world have convinced me that if it isn't current it isn't safe.

I still have a Bell Moto from 1980 and when I look at it now honestly it doesn't seem close to safe compared to todays lids. But we wore those and somehow survived. Crashed them and raced them again! Incredible!

There is a line that is the recommended replacement after impact that doesn't meet up with common sense IMO. Inspect your helmet regularly, all of the top line helmets are very good and should serve the operator well for many years.

If there is a large impact, inspect it/send it off for inspection/ replace as necessary.

One and done is something I don't agree with.
bama205
10/11/2019 10:54am
Football would be safer without helmets

The Shop

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
10/11/2019 2:48pm
bama205 wrote:
Based on the head injuries compared to rugby, you're correct.
10/11/2019 2:55pm
bama205 wrote:
Based on the head injuries compared to rugby, you're correct.
This is damn true. No way guys are leaning head first into someone without a helmet
Johnny Depp
3/1/2021 6:46pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2021 8:18pm
A little follow up on this old thread, some of these subjects are being discussed in the cost of the sport thread. I spoke with my wallet and got a Kali Shiva 2.0 helmet. It was never main stream, but it has apparently been out of production since the first batch? The website indicates Something new is coming? 82/s1200_DA9FC811_682A_48EC_B848_A450DCF8E090.jpg" class="img-fluid" />
The unique design concept here is instead of a gap between the EPS and the shell where other manufacturers are inserting gel type cushion devices, this EPS is glued to the shell. This makes for no second impact inside the shell, and allows for a lighter 1000 g construction, and smaller due to no airgap. It is purposely rounded rather than the current trend of flat tops so that is less likely to get traction on the ground resulting in rotational injury. This particular EPS is also unique in the material being self healing rather than disposable. It has passed tests with repeated impacts in rapid succession with no decrease in absorption. Hope I got that right, and hope they come out with more helmets using this design in the future.

Post a reply to: Motorcycle Helmets are Obsolete One Hit Wonders

The Latest