Motorcycle Friends are the Best!

Tryhard
6/7/2019 3:34pm
G-man wrote:
Update on my Great Friend Don.....:( Since the spine surgery he has been in a lot of pain they transferred him from the hospital after about...
Update on my Great Friend Don.....Sad

Since the spine surgery he has been in a lot of pain they transferred him from the hospital after about 5 days into a rehab center.
The problem is these places are very regulated as far as pain medication and they can't give him enough to help reduce his INTENSE pain.

His sister recently moved back to their hometown of Wisconsin is here to be with her brother.
Here is Karen and loving daughter Hannah, they both been so helpful in all of this as Don's wife Cathy is overwhelmed as you can imagine.

Don's wishes is to go home to die peacefully amongst his family and dogs. The cancer has multiplied and really has spread throughout his whole body it is really sad to see as he was always very healthy and took great care of himself.

They moved him there about 4 days ago and we visited him on Wednesday and the house was full with family and Love for Don.

I have known Don and Dano about the same time 31 years since moving to Arizona.
Both are former roommates of mine and I can't think of better friends to have--great guys I feel very lucky to have a great friend like Don.

Godspeed don , what a fighter you are . Remeber seeing this post when you originally made it.
G-man
6/10/2019 7:04pm
At 6:19 pm today our Great Friend Don Lowenberg took his last breath...... Sad

He will be missed by many but not forgotten.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words, thoughts and prayers.

I am going to miss the Greatest Friend I ever had. 😓
yak651
Fantasy
214th
6/10/2019 7:15pm
G-man wrote:
At 6:19 pm today our Great Friend Don Lowenberg took his last breath...... :( He will be missed by many but not forgotten. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/10/353528/s1200_20190606_204709_2.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/10/353529/s1200_20190606_204822_2.jpg[/img] Thanks...
At 6:19 pm today our Great Friend Don Lowenberg took his last breath...... Sad

He will be missed by many but not forgotten.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words, thoughts and prayers.

I am going to miss the Greatest Friend I ever had. 😓
Sorry for the loss of your friend. Be grateful for all the great times and memories you have, many people will never have a friendship like yours was.
TeamGreen
6/10/2019 7:23pm
The man was lucky to have you guys.
This is an amazing picture that you chose.

Sorry for your loss.
He had to have been a dude that shared the stoke.

The Shop

tingo
6/10/2019 7:41pm
So sorry for your loss G-man. This is the first time I’ve seen this thread, and the first post left me all smiles. What a kickass thing you and your friends did to get Don a bike. Just awesome! And yeah, that last pic is sweet. Sad to see his journey end, but looks like a life well lived, and obviously he was well loved - no matter how much time we’re given, you can’t ask for more than that.
HuskyEd
6/10/2019 8:44pm
G-man, my sincere condolences out to you. Don was a lucky guy to have such caring and devoted friend like you.

RIP Don
IanMac138
6/10/2019 9:16pm
As a person whose had so many friends and family impacted by cancer, I can honestly say that you're a shining example of what it truly means to be by someones side when they need it the most. So sorry for your loss. I just lost my dear Aunt this past year to cancer and it nearly broke me because I wasn't there for her as much as I probably should of been, simply because I thought "she'll beat this" like my mother did with breast cancer 15 years ago (she's still alive and kicking ass thankfully). But your post reminded me that the next time anyone I deeply care about has any kind of grave disease or illness, I'll make dang sure I give them the love and support like you did for Don. You're a good man.
jmc2
Fantasy
1679th
6/10/2019 9:46pm
Very sorry to hear this. RIP Don
KMC440
6/11/2019 12:04am
So saddened for Don's passing.
As much as he lifted your life you lifted his.
Godspeed Don.
Turbojez
6/11/2019 2:00am
You are an incredible friend G-man, I am sure Don is smiling down to you from a better place now.
Condolences, I am very sorry for your loss, stay strong.
G-man
6/11/2019 9:50am
Thanks guys for the kind words, it means a lot.....
I sent this link to his family and friends and I know his nephew Jacob Stevens has been watching it closely.

His plan was to work and learn from Uncle Don in his successful Mobile RV business and maybe one day take it over.

Unfortunately that does not seem likely now but he did learn good work ethic as Don was the best at it.
500guy
6/11/2019 10:05am
That sucks, Condolences on your loss, RIP Don.
Agent717
6/11/2019 10:50am
This is my first time coming across the thread, what a tribute! My sincere condolences to you and all his family and friends.

I used to live in AZ and if I'm not mistaken I picked up an old XL500 from Don for a friend of mine in Cali. I recognize the house in the pictures. He was a cool cat!

Rob YZF250
6/11/2019 12:26pm
First time also seeing this thread. What a decent friend. Sorry for your huge loss. RIP Don.
6/11/2019 8:56pm
So sorry. You guys made his ending chapter a great one. Best friends a man could ask for.
captmoto
6/12/2019 10:10am
He sounds like a man of integrity who surrounded himself with friends of the same character, You were both blessed to have each other for friends.
It tears me up to see this as my cousin is on the same path, even had the same back surgery and is now in his last days. Another cousin fought ovarian cancer but now spots have shown in her lungs. Her doctor has asked to see her whole family which has us all on edge.

I hope your awesome memories of your friend helps in your healing.
rstamey
6/17/2019 5:33pm
I met Don through Gary, while racing with the Az oldtimers. We all used to pit together. Don was a great guy always happy. I'm really glad I got to know him. Gary came by my house today with the sad news of Dons passing. He will be missed by me and many othes RIP Don
G-man
6/19/2019 4:59pm
Agent717 wrote:
This is my first time coming across the thread, what a tribute! My sincere condolences to you and all his family and friends. I used to...
This is my first time coming across the thread, what a tribute! My sincere condolences to you and all his family and friends.

I used to live in AZ and if I'm not mistaken I picked up an old XL500 from Don for a friend of mine in Cali. I recognize the house in the pictures. He was a cool cat!

How long ago did you pick up the XL500?

I know he recently had sold his KTM 300 and Honda XR600 this year.

Thanks.
G-man
6/19/2019 5:03pm
captmoto wrote:
He sounds like a man of integrity who surrounded himself with friends of the same character, You were both blessed to have each other for friends...
He sounds like a man of integrity who surrounded himself with friends of the same character, You were both blessed to have each other for friends.
It tears me up to see this as my cousin is on the same path, even had the same back surgery and is now in his last days. Another cousin fought ovarian cancer but now spots have shown in her lungs. Her doctor has asked to see her whole family which has us all on edge.

I hope your awesome memories of your friend helps in your healing.
Thanks captmoto and yes Don was the most honest, hard-working guy I've ever known.

The Good die Young is very true....

Sorry to hear about your cousins, go spend time with them as cancer can spread real quick.
G-man
6/19/2019 5:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2019 4:59pm
rstamey wrote:
I met Don through Gary, while racing with the Az oldtimers. We all used to pit together. Don was a great guy always happy. I'm really...
I met Don through Gary, while racing with the Az oldtimers. We all used to pit together. Don was a great guy always happy. I'm really glad I got to know him. Gary came by my house today with the sad news of Dons passing. He will be missed by me and many othes RIP Don
Thanks Randy, yep Don was ALWAYS happy, he was an AMAZING guy and I'm going to miss him a LOT.... Sad

I'm having some shirts made and this is the final version.

langhammx
Fantasy
455th
6/19/2019 5:57pm
This thread has brought tears of happiness and sadness for me. But in the end, he had great friends and family, which is EVERYTHING, IMHO. Good on you G-Man, you’re a SOLID DUDE !!
Agent717
6/19/2019 6:35pm
Agent717 wrote:
This is my first time coming across the thread, what a tribute! My sincere condolences to you and all his family and friends. I used to...

G-man wrote:
How long ago did you pick up the XL500?

I know he recently had sold his KTM 300 and Honda XR600 this year.

Thanks.
Sheesh it had to be 3 years ago now. He was healthy at the time. I remember having a good chat about flat track. It was near the time they brought Peoria back on the schedule.
G-man
7/1/2019 6:20pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2019 1:07am
We had Don's Celebration of Life Saturday. It was a really great Service and there were many classic photos of Don and his Love of Life, Family and Friends. Thanks to EVERYONE who helped make this happen.

The Pastor let us bring in his Husky which was mixed emotions for me as he only was able to ride it two times as he battled the cancer.....

This was his first helmet he had when he rode back in Wisconsin during his youth. His sister Karen told me all his buddies had the same helmets.
How cool is that! Smile

Don use to love tinkering on his work truck

His nephew Jake parked it right front and center of the enterance to the Church. His wife Cathy needs to sell it and it has a custom pull out work/tool tray and the sides open up to parts bins.

This is a typical "nothing brings me down" picture of Don. We were out practicing at ACP and Don had a BAD crash over a set of tricky jumps. If you look closely you can see the marks on his forehead where he hit his handlebars. And here he is smiling! Woohoo
What an AMAZING guy he was. The World would be a better place with more Don Lowenberg's around.....

Goodbye Don, I'm going to miss You as well as a lot of other folks.... Sad

Thanks to EVERYONE for their kind words and thoughts as I have my final closure on my Best Friend.
whyZ
7/4/2019 1:42pm
Since saying goodbye to our friend last weekend, it's given me some time to think, reflect and appreciate of how true the statement is, "motorcycle friends are the best".

We've all heard the cliche, "only the good die young", but I think it's safe to say, the good die at any age. When I first became aware of Don's illness, it was worrisome but Don was always healthy guy, being the one of the oldest in our group, he looked the youngest and carried himself that way too. But as the time past, and with the subsequent doctor visits, hospital stays, and finally the prognosis that the cancer beat him, I just couldn't wrap my mind around it. Maybe I didn't want too. But what kept reverberating thought me was, "why Don..."WHY Don"? Of all the people on this big blue ball of ours, why Don?

It probably wasn't until his passing that the only logical conclusion I could muster up was the good Lord drives a 72' Winnebago, and his compressor went out, and needed some help!!... He needed some help...and what better person to ask than Don. You see Don didn't do things for recognition or a lot times even for payment, Don dealt in the currency of friendship. He was always there for anybody, and never left anything undone.

As I sat in the pew with my moto pals I would occasionally glance over at his wife, and think about with how sad I was about this, I couldn't imagine what she was going through. I was hoping that that she knew Don was with her, and will help her get through this time of grief, and help her move on. Because, Don never left anything undone.

I'd just like to thank G-man for putting this thread together. It has really help bring closure to all of us who were friends with Don. Moving on myself, I think what ever adversity may come my way, or what ever hard decisions I may face, maybe I'll step back and look at it the way Don would have. Because Don was a good man, and he will be missed.

GuyB I was wondering if you could submit this to next HOF vote.
CHaynes
7/4/2019 4:13pm
This is amazing. I have a similar story that a great group of my dads friends did for him while he was battling the same type of cancer (ultimately losing the battle on April 10, 2018). There is a bond like no other when you ride motorcycles. It can never be clearly communicated to those who have never ridden, because they will never understand. You and your buddies are incredible people and Don was very fortunate to have you guys.

Post a reply to: Motorcycle Friends are the Best!

The Latest