Motocross is dying

JustMX
5/24/2020 8:47pm
Look at the results from one of the races mentioned here.

Silver dollar in Georgia last weekend.

https://www.resultsmx.com/victory2/class.asp?c=all&e=523

A ton of riders from a states a long way off where racing had not resumed.

Florida, missouri, ohio, Pennsylvania, michigan, Minnesota, new york, maryland. And the Carolinas.

When racing resumes in those states numbers will go back to what they were, and hopefully stay reasonably consistent to what they were before covid 19.

I certainly wouldn't go buying stock in mx related businesses yet.

PJRAUS
5/25/2020 2:48am
Well here in Victoria Australia, I'm notiicing a similar thing...no racing allowed yet here but the ride parks are open and I'm seeing heaps of brand new bikes at my local track..been to a few dealers in the area and they are all saying they've never been this busy...they are selling g new dirt bikes flat out right now and some showrooms are looking a little barren due to distributors being out of stock.
I just signed up for a new yz 450 myself...got a great deal and a great trade in on my old 17..my dealer says they can't keep a used bike for a week...they sell pretty quick and they are hoping for an early 2021 model release from Yamaha because Yamaha Australia has nothing left..apparently...
ns503
5/25/2020 3:55am
I took another browse through Kijiji last night. I think there were more 'wanted' ads than 'for sale'.

Kinda warms the heart a little, lol.
Mr. Info
5/25/2020 7:31am
I have been riding at 2 different tracks in 2 weeks and to see the amount of people there is amazing. From racers to PPRs to new kids on 50’s and 65’s I’m impressed. Maybe Racing is not the real reflection of the sport. But it’s great to see new families encouraging their kids to ride.

The Shop

Indy mxer
5/25/2020 8:09am
But not in Casey, Illinois! Round 2 of the Fly Racing Showdown series is taking place here at Lincoln Trail tomorrow morning. As of 6pm tonight...
But not in Casey, Illinois! Round 2 of the Fly Racing Showdown series is taking place here at Lincoln Trail tomorrow morning. As of 6pm tonight, there were already more than 1,000 entries for the race tomorrow. As a matter of fact, they have so many riders, they warned us that to expect the racing to continue into Monday to accommodate everyone and avoid cutting laps. Time to get to bed...
Awesome, we heard that from some riders we know who are there.

Down side to that many riders is 3 lap moto's and practice consisting of a siting lap.
I'm happy for Tim, but but wouldn't want to spend 2 days there to get in 6 laps. Sounds crazy, but that's almost too many riders. lol

We went to PMC to ride and they had a great turnout as well. Even with so many riders at LTM.

But as you said it speaks well for the sport. Hopefully it continues.
devotid
Fantasy
367th
5/25/2020 8:37am
peltier626 wrote:
Tracks were packed this weekend in our area, although the track went up from $30 to $40 per person without any changes to the track, facility...
Tracks were packed this weekend in our area, although the track went up from $30 to $40 per person without any changes to the track, facility etc. Is $40 bucks the going rate for practice days elsewhere?
The track has been closed for months and has taken in NO REVENUE at all and your bitchin about $10 bucks.

Absolute WOW.

Who raises these people?
peltier626
5/25/2020 8:59am
peltier626 wrote:
Tracks were packed this weekend in our area, although the track went up from $30 to $40 per person without any changes to the track, facility...
Tracks were packed this weekend in our area, although the track went up from $30 to $40 per person without any changes to the track, facility etc. Is $40 bucks the going rate for practice days elsewhere?
devotid wrote:
The track has been closed for months and has taken in NO REVENUE at all and your bitchin about $10 bucks. Absolute WOW. Who raises these...
The track has been closed for months and has taken in NO REVENUE at all and your bitchin about $10 bucks.

Absolute WOW.

Who raises these people?
I'm not bitching, i was just shocked at the price increase. We've all experienced the same circumstances throughout this. I didn't get a 25% raise at work to compensate, i had hrs reduced, we've yet to see the long term economic effects of this crisis. We're still in the beginning phases. It's more than 10 bucks for a family, it adds up quickly. I'll still support the sport, i'm just surprised that fee's would be increased at this particular time. By the way this track never closed it's doors. It charged 400 a day for private rental and limited the riders to 10 at a time and was open through out. And i was raised by some mighty fine folks to fulfill your curiosity. I'm just not sure if the timing is right to increase prices, that's all. Peace.
AngryBear
5/25/2020 9:30am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2020 9:31am
CHaynes wrote:
I have several friends whos kids played year round sports that are now looking for something to do since their seasons are shot. They have bought...
I have several friends whos kids played year round sports that are now looking for something to do since their seasons are shot. They have bought all the kids MX bikes and they're loving it! A lot of local shops are selling out of items faster than they can replenish them. It has been a pretty good boom, at least in my area.
this. i've had numerous parents, who's kids normally just do team sports, reach out to me in the past few week essentially asking 'how do we get our kids into dirt bikes'. mix of kids who's entirety of summer activities (camps, sports, etc) have been canceled, or parents that aren't comfortable with them doing the normal social activities anytime soon, even once they come back.

many of these parents are remembering what they did in their pastimes during the 80's and back, when they didn't have 87hrs of little league sports to keep the kids running 100mph 7 days a week.

I'm loving this forced mind shift I've seen in lots of parent friends.
5/26/2020 8:07am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2020 8:11am
But not in Casey, Illinois! Round 2 of the Fly Racing Showdown series is taking place here at Lincoln Trail tomorrow morning. As of 6pm tonight...
But not in Casey, Illinois! Round 2 of the Fly Racing Showdown series is taking place here at Lincoln Trail tomorrow morning. As of 6pm tonight, there were already more than 1,000 entries for the race tomorrow. As a matter of fact, they have so many riders, they warned us that to expect the racing to continue into Monday to accommodate everyone and avoid cutting laps. Time to get to bed...
Indy mxer wrote:
Awesome, we heard that from some riders we know who are there. Down side to that many riders is 3 lap moto's and practice consisting of...

Down side to that many riders is 3 lap moto's and practice consisting of a siting lap.
I'm happy for Tim, but but wouldn't want to spend 2 days there to get in 6 laps. Sounds crazy, but that's almost too many riders. lol

We went to PMC to ride and they had a great turnout as well. Even with so many riders at LTM.

They didn’t cut laps. That’s why they made the call to do first motos on Sunday, and second motos on Monday. I had 4 laps in all 4 of my motos. As rough as it was, 4 laps was more than enough for me. If they cut laps, it must have been for the consi races for guys that didn’t qualify. Those took place on Sunday night during a thunderstorm at dusk, so if they cut laps on those motos, they did everyone a favor.
They ran a regular practice schedule on Sunday before the first motos. Monday morning, the track pretty wet after the big storm Sunday night, so they didn’t have too many takers on the sighting lap, anyway.
cwel11
5/26/2020 9:13am
In PA this weekend at riders meeting they announced they had 600 entries and 45 races. But I saw a ton of out of state license plates. Probably more than Pa. Once NY, and NJ open up I’m sure it’ll be back to normal numbers
STLSharky
5/26/2020 9:52am
Indy mxer wrote:
Awesome, we heard that from some riders we know who are there. Down side to that many riders is 3 lap moto's and practice consisting of...

They didn’t cut laps. That’s why they made the call to do first motos on Sunday, and second motos on Monday. I had 4 laps in...
They didn’t cut laps. That’s why they made the call to do first motos on Sunday, and second motos on Monday. I had 4 laps in all 4 of my motos. As rough as it was, 4 laps was more than enough for me. If they cut laps, it must have been for the consi races for guys that didn’t qualify. Those took place on Sunday night during a thunderstorm at dusk, so if they cut laps on those motos, they did everyone a favor.
They ran a regular practice schedule on Sunday before the first motos. Monday morning, the track pretty wet after the big storm Sunday night, so they didn’t have too many takers on the sighting lap, anyway.
got a couple kids that swim competitively 1-2 days at a sweaty indoor pool or outdoor, soccer tournaments
all day long all weekend, pick your 5 minutes. i'll take day at track spending fucking awesome time with my son anyway!
Indy mxer
5/26/2020 6:49pm
Indy mxer wrote:

They didn’t cut laps. That’s why they made the call to do first motos on Sunday, and second motos on Monday. I had 4 laps in...
Ok thanks. I stand corrected. Someone told me all the motos were 3 laps.
As I said I'm happy for Tim that is was a huge hit. But for me that's too many riders. Too much waiting around and taking 2 days to run the race wouldn't be fun for me. But obviously I'm in the minority. lol
mikec265
5/26/2020 6:59pm
I haven't been to a public track this spring, BUT I know a lot of people who have bought trail bikes and pitbikes
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
5/27/2020 4:45pm
You would think that would lower the price.
Mxracer607
5/27/2020 5:19pm
Our tracks are packed here in NorCal. You can’t even go buy a motocross bike because they are sold out. This is the best I have...
Our tracks are packed here in NorCal. You can’t even go buy a motocross bike because they are sold out. This is the best I have seen our sport in atleast 10 years
even now riverfront,estreet and hangtown are all reaching the max of 50 entrys per practice day. so good for Zeb on not shutting his tracks down
mikec265
5/27/2020 10:50pm
Tarz483 wrote:
I'm a cheap skate, but especially after making my own pit bike and big bike tracks at home, even $50 to ride a good track would be a bargain. I have so much money and time into my own equipment, and tracks it's a stupid money/time killer unless you just love the sport that much. I'll never regret it, but I also understand why some non-moto people think I'm nuts. Tracks were charging $20 around here 20 years ago, so again, even $50 in today's money is a bargain to do something that much cooler than what the average person will ever do for a day.
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
5/28/2020 4:30am
Tarz483 wrote:
On the contrary, if they fill up the place with people, regardless of the 10 extra dollars, they've just increased their income by 25%.

Dumping the price would gain nothing.
5/28/2020 7:27am
peltier626 wrote:
Price gouging.
bsharkey
5/28/2020 7:59am
Dealer bike sales are doing well. Especially power motorsports and motosport hillsborrow both the leading bikes shop in the us the last 10 years 500+ bikes sold a month lately. Most tracks up here in the ne are open now with limitations but they have suffered for a few months for sure
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
5/28/2020 10:11am
peltier626 wrote:
Price gouging.
Washougal is charging $50 per rider right now.
mikec265
5/28/2020 8:03pm
peltier626 wrote:
Price gouging.
mx510 wrote:
Bargain. Make and maintain a track, and you will understand that $50 to ride a national track is a friggin bargain!
5/28/2020 8:59pm
Price gouging.
mx510 wrote:
mikec265 wrote:
Bargain. Make and maintain a track, and you will understand that $50 to ride a national track is a friggin bargain!
Red Bud was charging $50 last time, too. A bargain if you ask me!
5/28/2020 9:34pm
peltier626 wrote:
Price gouging.
mx510 wrote:
CMJ In Hixton Wi. In w. Wisconsin. Is 50 for the year.Smile Killer track includes free camping.
peltier626
5/29/2020 4:57am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2020 5:40am
Price gouging.
mx510 wrote:
mikec265 wrote:
I know, me and my dad managed this exact track that i referenced over 10 years ago when it went through differing ownership. The work included is excessive and money made is minimal and it zapped the fun right out of the riding experience. But I'm not sure where the ceiling is on affordability and frequency of ride times. I consider myself to have a comfortable middle class lifestyle and quite sensible with my income and can assure that i can not sensibly afford to ride but a couple times a month. Between associated costs it's a couple hundred bucks for a full ride day. The reality is I'm not sure if the moto demographic can afford continual rising costs especially during these uncertain times. Time will tell. I'll still ride the tracks just maybe not as often. I'm comfortable spending 300 to 400 total a month on moto however it's split.

Post a reply to: Motocross is dying

The Latest