Motocross in Dallas area?

mxracer666
I may be relocating to the Dallas area for work from So. Cal. Are there many tracks in the area? North? South? East? West? I'm a 40+ vet rider, so not interested in Supercross-style tracks, but I am a fairly accomplished rider and good at jumps. What is the weather really like there? I'm getting wildly-varying opinions from people I talk to. Also have a few vintage/Evo mx bikes that I would like to race on occasion -- what's the vintage scene like? Thanks for everyone's time!
|
RPM68
4/20/2017 8:00am
mxracer666 wrote:
I may be relocating to the Dallas area for work from So. Cal. Are there many tracks in the area? North? South? East? West? I'm a...
I may be relocating to the Dallas area for work from So. Cal. Are there many tracks in the area? North? South? East? West? I'm a 40+ vet rider, so not interested in Supercross-style tracks, but I am a fairly accomplished rider and good at jumps. What is the weather really like there? I'm getting wildly-varying opinions from people I talk to. Also have a few vintage/Evo mx bikes that I would like to race on occasion -- what's the vintage scene like? Thanks for everyone's time!
I just moved out here myself. Lots of tracks apparently, Village Creek, Oak Hill, Badlands, Johnsonville MX, The Compound.

they are widely spread throughout the DFW area, so I chose to move to Lewisville, pretty much the middle everything.

Welcome to Texas!
kunk
Fantasy
3033rd
4/20/2017 8:08am
I live in North Richland Hills. That's in the mid west area of DFW. Village Creek, Oak Hill, The Compound, His 956 are all within an hour. 1.5-2 hrs you have Buffalo Creek, Swan, Freestone, Johnsonville, and Underground. The Compound and His 956 are training tracks. The rest run races. Village and Oak Hill are open 2-3 times a week. There are also several smaller tracks, 3 different cross country series, and an enduro series. And scramble cross. There are plenty of places to ride. The weather gets a lot hotter than San Diego and the beach is a lot farther away. If you like cross country you have TCCRA which are longer more technical races and TORN which are shorter tracks and more open.
TannerMxer
4/20/2017 8:48am
I live in McKinney in the northern suburbs of Dallas. My favorites so far are Oak Hill (about 1-1.5 hours west), Underground Mx (about 1.5 hours southeast), and His 956 Facility (about an hour west-southwest).

I will say this though. DO NOT GO TO His 956 Facility the week and weekend before Loretta's. I made that mistake, not knowing it was a training facility, and I had Ryan Surratt (spelling?) doing 3-4 laps for every 1.5 laps I was doing. lol

I really want to check out Johnsonville and Swan Mx. Those look to be the most "socal styled" when it comes to track maintenance and grooming. Sawn does seem to hold races all the time though, so practice weekends are sparse.
sideseal
4/20/2017 8:57am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2017 8:59am
There is also River Valley in Boyd. And, if you just want to tool around on a beat up track and some trails, there is Trophy Club park.

The Shop

dmm698
4/20/2017 9:59am
DFW is the only place i've ever been, where you will literally drive by 2 tracks (that are both well worth your time to ride) to go to another track. There is absolutely no shortage of great places to ride there, and there is an awesome crew of guys your age that ride super often
4/20/2017 10:12am
DFW has one of the oldest vintage clubs in the country, Texas Vintage Racing Club. You can find them at TVRC.org. They run 2 seasons a year, Spring & Fall, because we don't have winter in Texas and summer is ridiculous. There is also an active AHRMA region and 2 AHRMA nationals in Texas with a couple more located nearby in Oklahoma and Louisiana.

BTW, this weekend is the mother of all AHRMA nationals, Diamond Don's in Jefferson, TX.
Taylor415
4/20/2017 10:33am
another one to mention is Greenville Motopark. Always well groomed.
Nocona is back open too...
IWreckALot
4/20/2017 10:46am
As for the weather, we get a little bit of everything. Summers get up to 105 and hot AF a lot. Find somewhere with some trees for shade.

In the winter it's a crap shoot. We get made fun of a lot because "we can't drive in the snow". But the reality is, it's not a powder like a lot of northerners are used to. It's a slush that freezes which makes it a sheet of ice. We didn't get anything this year. I believe it was last year that we had some nasty icy roads. Maybe 2 years ago.

Right now it's been perfect for about 2 months now. A little windy in the spring.

Not sure what all you've heard, but we get a mix of seemingly everything.
Preston412
4/20/2017 11:12am
What ever happended to the track off of 157/Collins St, I think it was on Mosier Valley Rd and there was one in Irving off Procter St in a scrap yard, it had a couple tracks?
AzMxr
4/20/2017 11:38am
dmm698 wrote:
DFW is the only place i've ever been, where you will literally drive by 2 tracks (that are both well worth your time to ride) to...
DFW is the only place i've ever been, where you will literally drive by 2 tracks (that are both well worth your time to ride) to go to another track. There is absolutely no shortage of great places to ride there, and there is an awesome crew of guys your age that ride super often
I concur, lots of tracks to chose from. There use to be a site that listed them all and their proximity to the Metroplex. I'm originally from AZ, and I find the weather here great. It can be hot in the summer, but were isn't? Many times I've been riding in the middle of winter without cold weather gear (tee shirt weather). You can not beat the dirt either. I'm in my 50's and there are a ton of guys in our age group out here.. Look us up when you get here.
kunk
Fantasy
3033rd
4/20/2017 12:53pm
Mosier Valley has been closed for years. I think Shady Grove is still open. Get some trash can chicken.
IWreckALot
4/20/2017 12:59pm
kunk wrote:
Mosier Valley has been closed for years. I think Shady Grove is still open. Get some trash can chicken.
Last I heard he had gone to hot dogs.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
4/20/2017 1:08pm
Coming from SD, you'll fall in love with this place quickly. Lots of great tracks, a Vet MX Series (Moto Masters), races all over the place within 2 hrs of Dallas, just awesome. I'm east of Dallas about an hour, and am surrounded by Swan MX in Tyler, Underground MX in Kemp, Johnsonville MX in Yantis, Buffalo Creek in Canton, Freestone in Wortham, all of these less than an hour from my door in Athens! Village Creek and Oak Hill are great tracks, I keep trying to get to Greenville and River Valley, and if you feel like a drive, Red Rocks outside of Austin is awesome.
Taylor415
4/20/2017 4:29pm
kunk wrote:
Man, Mosier was awesome. I remember racing the 80 class out there and in between motos some guy was drunk off his ass leaning against the fence and his old lady wasn't having it and starting wailing on him haha. Shady Grove is a shit show, every time I've been it was complete chaos, I don't know how more people don't get hurt out there.
mb60
4/20/2017 5:14pm
Don't forget that Tex Plex will be open in June with mx track and trails. It's located on Mansfield Texas area.
tylermx967
4/20/2017 5:33pm
I FORM ATHENS AND RIDE SUSZUKI RM85 MY FAVERITE TRACK IS CYCUL RANCH BUT IT TAKES A LOG TIME TO GO THERE
RCMXracing
4/20/2017 7:31pm
I moved to the DFW metroplex almost two years ago...this place rules for Moto! Also off-road: I got talked into my first TORN (off-road) race and was blown away by the turnout. It's something different and not slow and tight, it's more like WORCS type racing. Texas people are super friendly. I wish there was a little more mid-week riding, but there are some options. There's some great tracks down by Houston which I keep hearing about, 3 Palms being one of them. Also Compound 77 just across the border in OK. When it gets hot you can ride under the lights at many tracks. I get so much riding in during the year I'm happy to back off and hang by the pool on the hottest of days. Take a good look at the maps when deciding where to live. IMO being North of the 820 loop and west of DFW is good for a lot of tracks. Traffic sucks over by Dallas. Also decent MTB, not awesome but decent at Northshore along lake Grapevine. Other MTB around too. Check out http://www.dorba.org
Hudd_421
4/20/2017 8:00pm
I just moved from Oregon almost 2 years ago and I love it here. I've gotten to know most of the people who run the tracks and they've all been great. Dirt is incredible, and have you looked at the forecast the last 2 months? Been about perfect.

I live in Lewisville/Flower Mound area, and it's central to just about everything. I even started racing TORN, which is great off road racing (hour 15 format, not too technical) lots of fun!

All my Texas peeps on Vital, if ya see me at the track come say what's up!

Ryan Huddleston
RPM68
4/20/2017 10:02pm
The wind is pretty serious that's for sure, lost 10mph on my Z125!
motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
4/21/2017 4:51am
Last time I as at Shady Grove I jumped over a mexican on quad with no helmet going the wrong way over the table top in the front. I immediately loaded up and left and haven't gone back since.

Underground is my favorite track in DFW. I think its more of a training facility now though. That triple step up there is no joke.
Frodad78
4/21/2017 5:27am
I moved down here almost 10 years ago from the northeast. I still can't believe how good the moto scene is in TX. Its crazy when there are so many places to ride on a weekend that you can't decide where to go!
1stSSPZ
4/21/2017 5:46am
If you make the move, consider yourself fortunate.
4/21/2017 6:16am
motoxxx599 wrote:
Last time I as at Shady Grove I jumped over a mexican on quad with no helmet going the wrong way over the table top in...
Last time I as at Shady Grove I jumped over a mexican on quad with no helmet going the wrong way over the table top in the front. I immediately loaded up and left and haven't gone back since.

Underground is my favorite track in DFW. I think its more of a training facility now though. That triple step up there is no joke.
sorry, I was heading back to the truck to get my helmet. The fastest way was to just turn around and go back instead of finishing the lap.

J/K

man I wish that place wasn't such a shit hole. its 10 min from my work ant would be cool to ride at lunch time.
I went once and really was ready to leave before I even unloaded but I had already gave up the cash so I figured id at least give it a chance.
cortez.cr
5/24/2017 1:18am
How is the Dallas moto scene compared to Houston's?

Should I consider relocating too?

kage173
5/24/2017 7:12am
TannerMxer wrote:
I live in McKinney in the northern suburbs of Dallas. My favorites so far are Oak Hill (about 1-1.5 hours west), Underground Mx (about 1.5 hours...
I live in McKinney in the northern suburbs of Dallas. My favorites so far are Oak Hill (about 1-1.5 hours west), Underground Mx (about 1.5 hours southeast), and His 956 Facility (about an hour west-southwest).

I will say this though. DO NOT GO TO His 956 Facility the week and weekend before Loretta's. I made that mistake, not knowing it was a training facility, and I had Ryan Surratt (spelling?) doing 3-4 laps for every 1.5 laps I was doing. lol

I really want to check out Johnsonville and Swan Mx. Those look to be the most "socal styled" when it comes to track maintenance and grooming. Sawn does seem to hold races all the time though, so practice weekends are sparse.
It's looking like I'll be moving to the Frisco area by the end of summer. I had seen all these tracks and it looks amazing, but kind of far for when you just want to get an hour or two of riding in. Have you found anywhere within 20 mins that you can just go to ride? I mean, not a nice prepped track, but at least somewhere that you can pull the bike down without people getting pissed.

I live in deep south texas. The nearest track to race on is over an hour, but I can literally ride out my back yard into a field right in town and go ride around without anybody caring. And there are trails and open ride areas all over the place. Anything like that?

Also, it looks like the nearest bmx stuff is also 45min - 1 hour. Anything closer on that front?

Appreciate the insight. I'm pumped on moving there. It looks great.
BSFL
5/24/2017 8:23am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2017 8:29am
kage173 wrote:
It's looking like I'll be moving to the Frisco area by the end of summer. I had seen all these tracks and it looks amazing, but...
It's looking like I'll be moving to the Frisco area by the end of summer. I had seen all these tracks and it looks amazing, but kind of far for when you just want to get an hour or two of riding in. Have you found anywhere within 20 mins that you can just go to ride? I mean, not a nice prepped track, but at least somewhere that you can pull the bike down without people getting pissed.

I live in deep south texas. The nearest track to race on is over an hour, but I can literally ride out my back yard into a field right in town and go ride around without anybody caring. And there are trails and open ride areas all over the place. Anything like that?

Also, it looks like the nearest bmx stuff is also 45min - 1 hour. Anything closer on that front?

Appreciate the insight. I'm pumped on moving there. It looks great.
I live in Frisco. No open areas to ride around Frisco or really anywhere in Dallas. Most places get shutdown pretty quick from people complaining. The closet place to ride from Frisco area is Trophy Club Park http://www.trophyclubpark.org/home. Takes me 30-35 mins to get there. Small mx track, some trails and a beginner track for kids.

My next closest picks are River Valley and Oak Hill. Both about an hour from Frisco. Village Creek is about an hour as well depending on traffic.

*edit* no one mentioned Burleson...great sandy loom when wet or prepped. Not so much fun when dry. Tons of trees for shade. Vintage and pitbike friendly. I grew up racing Burleson in the 90's and it was one of my favorite tracks because the dirt. I haven't been back in years. Maybe time to take a trip down there.

Also, up toward OKC border about an hour north of Dallas you have Jack Barnett's and North Forty. Don't really care for either but they are places to ride.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
5/24/2017 9:07am
I heard a rumor that the guys at Ross Downs have been prepping the track for the last 25 years and they are just about ready to reopen.
mb60
5/24/2017 9:12am
disbanded wrote:
I heard a rumor that the guys at Ross Downs have been prepping the track for the last 25 years and they are just about ready...
I heard a rumor that the guys at Ross Downs have been prepping the track for the last 25 years and they are just about ready to reopen.
Good old Ross Downs and Mosier Valley head to head on Friday nights.
BSFL
5/24/2017 9:41am
disbanded wrote:
I heard a rumor that the guys at Ross Downs have been prepping the track for the last 25 years and they are just about ready...
I thought that place was long gone. Where did you hear or see that rumor?
mx131
5/24/2017 10:26am
Moved here in 2004 from Arizona also, was fortunate enough to ride Mosier, Mcafees, The Pit, Nocona, Skull Creek, Athens, Willow Branch and several others that have closed down here. What is amazing here is everytime a track closes it seems like a new one opens up to replace it. Johnsonville, Underground, Greenville reopening, etc. In Az if a track closed it might be 5 years before another one came around. Remember around 92 - 94 only open track in Phoenix was Trasherland, til Canyon reopened, and Speedworld and ET opened.. Anyway welcome we have a great vet turnout at the monthly Swan race, as far as weather you will have a few nonriding weekends due to rain, besure to call the track you plan to ride before you haul. As for all you Az transplants iam Steve McFerrin and possibly knew some of ya from there. Have fun...

Post a reply to: Motocross in Dallas area?

The Latest