Motocross in Alabama?

kdawson252
6/25/2018 7:17pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2018 9:06pm
Whats the scene in Alabama looking like these days? My wife and I have been thinking of moving back. The moto scene here in the NW is huge and I know it isn't that big in Alabama but just trying to get a scope of the amount of races and racers.
|
Sharpe325
6/25/2018 8:11pm
I just got back into riding after some time off and i went to spectate at warrior mx and the had a pretty good turnout especially in you kids,mini and c and d classes. I think millcreek still has a pretty good turnout and i think most of the alabama races is the alabama state series. I know you was asking about mx but here lately the secca series hare scrambles has really took off.
Sharpe325
6/25/2018 8:23pm
Heres a pic of the schedule this year
6/25/2018 11:03pm
i raced for the first time in 6 years at a track in alabama called cross bones mx. this was september 2017 and the turn out was alright i guess. maybe 75-100 bikes. most bikes on a gate drop was maybe 10. fun track tho. i've always enjoyed any track that owner builds.
6/26/2018 12:39am
I grew up racing in Alabama in the 70's and 80's. It's never been the Mecca of great turnouts but the scenery, greenery, and dirt are always awesome. There are a couple of really superior facilities there now (Monster Mountain outside Montgomery and Mill Creek outside Birmingham) and quite a few local tracks scattered throughout the state. And depending on where you live, the tracks in Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, and Mississippi are only a few hours away.

And as Reese pointed out, there's the Barber Museum which is a world class facility.

I'm hoping to move back when I retire.

The Shop

KDXGarage
6/26/2018 2:44am
Sand Mountain
McLarty
Monster Mountain
Warrior
Crossbone
Southern Supercross in Cleveland
Millcreek

I am not sure of tracks way down south.

I don't know why there are so few races this year. There were 22 or so for a few years.
mx317
6/26/2018 3:31am
I grew up racing in Alabama in the 70's and 80's. It's never been the Mecca of great turnouts but the scenery, greenery, and dirt are...
I grew up racing in Alabama in the 70's and 80's. It's never been the Mecca of great turnouts but the scenery, greenery, and dirt are always awesome. There are a couple of really superior facilities there now (Monster Mountain outside Montgomery and Mill Creek outside Birmingham) and quite a few local tracks scattered throughout the state. And depending on where you live, the tracks in Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, and Mississippi are only a few hours away.

And as Reese pointed out, there's the Barber Museum which is a world class facility.

Did you ever race Indian Creek at Cullman Al? That was one of my favorite tracks from back in the day.
Sharpe325
6/26/2018 4:48am
KDXGarage wrote:
Sand Mountain McLarty Monster Mountain Warrior Crossbone Southern Supercross in Cleveland Millcreek I am not sure of tracks way down south. I don't know why there...
Sand Mountain
McLarty
Monster Mountain
Warrior
Crossbone
Southern Supercross in Cleveland
Millcreek

I am not sure of tracks way down south.

I don't know why there are so few races this year. There were 22 or so for a few years.
I was wondering the same thing about the schedule but to me the seem to promote the arenacross in the winter more than the outdoor series.
6/26/2018 5:19am
I grew up racing in Alabama in the 70's and 80's. It's never been the Mecca of great turnouts but the scenery, greenery, and dirt are...

mx317 wrote:
Did you ever race Indian Creek at Cullman Al? That was one of my favorite tracks from back in the day.
Yep, raced there. Pretty much if a track was open in Alabama between 1971 - 1988 the odds are good that I raced there.

Indian Creek had a big race once a year that drew a great turnout.

mx317
6/26/2018 6:45am
Yep, raced there. Pretty much if a track was open in Alabama between 1971 - 1988 the odds are good that I raced there. Indian Creek...
Yep, raced there. Pretty much if a track was open in Alabama between 1971 - 1988 the odds are good that I raced there.

Indian Creek had a big race once a year that drew a great turnout.

Yep, the Pepsi Cola Classic on Labor day weekend.
ehr400
6/26/2018 7:01am
Moto scene isn't as good as it used to be, it was pretty light at alot of races I went to minus like the big races at Mill Creek or MM. Also you arent super far from Echeconee or Dirty Deeds in Missisippi. I guess the question is where are you going to be living at? My personal favorites:

Windwood Farms (AKA Noahs) not open alot anymore
Mill Creek
Monster Mountain
Crossbones (near Windwood farms)
McClarty MX
Atmore mx
Sand Mountain
Deer Run (not open alot)
Dirt Deeds (In Meridian Miss.)
There are a few others in LA (Lower Alabama) that I am forgetting. I used to live in the Tuscaloosa area.

Another thing I got into down there was off road, since there is alot more of it and more popular. The SECCA series runs awesome events and get big turnouts. Alot of fun and good racing.

kdawson252
6/26/2018 8:10am
I’m from Opelika and that would generally be there area where we would be moving back too. When I moved away in 2014 there weren’t a lot of races so I never really got that into racing. But here in the NW there is such a huge scene I dove right in. What are the prices like in AL? Here it’s normally $40-50 for a practice day and about $45-50 to race one class on a race day. I know MM changed hands recently, that was by far my favorite spot in AL. I also found a few newer tracks in the area (Synergy, Shorter MX). Are those any good too?
WW444
6/26/2018 8:34am
Mclartys and sand mountain are open almost every weekend and are always in great shape.They are both sand based tracks. Monster is down near Montgomery and it is by far one of the best tracks in the southeast if not nation. Mill creek is a nice track as well. Those are the main tracks I ride living in north AL
Dtat720
6/26/2018 9:22am Edited Date/Time 6/26/2018 9:24am
MX56 is open all the time, and they have a trail system thats amazing. Its 30 min northwest of Mobile. Atmore is 20 min east of Mobile and Mike Ashe is always making new sections and keeping it fresh. War Eagle MX in Auburn is really nice and open several days a week. Phenix City has 2 tracks as well. Heath Harrison has private tracks in Silverhill just outside Foley, message him on FB or Insta and if hes in town he lets you ride with him and gives lessons there as well. Dirty Deeds is a phenominal track that doesnt get the props it should. GreenAcres MX is a little further southeast, just above Panama City outside of Dothan, its a really good track as well.

Pricing, most every track is 20-25 for practice and race fees depend on if its a series or not. But 35-45 per class is the norm
Stickers
6/26/2018 9:26am
ehr400 wrote:
Moto scene isn't as good as it used to be, it was pretty light at alot of races I went to minus like the big races...
Moto scene isn't as good as it used to be, it was pretty light at alot of races I went to minus like the big races at Mill Creek or MM. Also you arent super far from Echeconee or Dirty Deeds in Missisippi. I guess the question is where are you going to be living at? My personal favorites:

Mill Creek
Monster Mountain
McClarty MX
Atmore mx
Sand Mountain
Deer Run (not open alot)
There are a few others in LA (Lower Alabama) that I am forgetting. I used to live in the Tuscaloosa area.

Another thing I got into down there was off road, since there is alot more of it and more popular. The SECCA series runs awesome events and get big turnouts. Alot of fun and good racing.

Deer Run hasn't been open in a few years. We closed up and started focusing on SECCA. Track is still there and would like to open back up for some practice one day. SECCA has had several over 300 bike entries this season. It's grown a lot.
ehr400
6/26/2018 9:54am
ehr400 wrote:
Moto scene isn't as good as it used to be, it was pretty light at alot of races I went to minus like the big races...

Mill Creek
Monster Mountain
McClarty MX
Atmore mx
Sand Mountain
Deer Run (not open alot)

Stickers wrote:
Deer Run hasn't been open in a few years. We closed up and started focusing on SECCA. Track is still there and would like to open...
Deer Run hasn't been open in a few years. We closed up and started focusing on SECCA. Track is still there and would like to open back up for some practice one day. SECCA has had several over 300 bike entries this season. It's grown a lot.
Bummer, fun track Stick.
yz25
6/26/2018 2:21pm
Cant really say much about the racing scene. But amount of bikes that show up on any given open weekend for practice on the tracks above, are big crowds. The ones that are still open of coarse. Helps when the owners prep the track, split practice and will also go back during the day to touch up. They do an extremely great job!

There is also an new track on the Al/GA line. WarEagle MX. Not a big fan on the name (BAMA Fan), but the track looks amazing. Seem to have a very good following/turn out every practice day.
KDXGarage
6/26/2018 2:36pm
A couple of years ago in ASCS, it was $10 gate fee and $30 per class for the first two classes, then $25 for a third.

Mclarty is not a sand track.

Sand Mountain is "sandy", but not a "sand track". Crossbone has sand. I am assuming the other lower Alabama tracks would have sand, too.
kdawson252
6/26/2018 8:28pm
So after doing a little more research I found that there are plenty of places to race. I didn't realize there were 6 different race series in AL. I think when we left there were only 2-3 series and one of those series was half in GA and half in AL. It seems to be on the upswing. Obviously I'm not going to be moving specifically for moto, but it helps to know if we do decide to move there will be some racing to do there.
Benihana225
6/26/2018 8:44pm
Mill creek is one of my favorite tracks. I love the flow and jumps there ?
Ramptester
8/3/2018 2:01pm
Highland Park (aka KTM world) is a fun spot for moto and trails. Just across the state line in northwest GA.
kdawson252
8/3/2018 6:23pm
I have seen that the new owner of Monster has put a lot of money and effort into the facility. It does look good still. I rode at Highland Park once before we moved across the country. My wife broke her wrist there pretty badly. But it was a fun trip until then.
racerx317
8/4/2018 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2018 7:04pm
Bama is our second home in fall, winter and early spring. TONS of tracks for training and racing year round. Most listed in this thread. If you move further Southeast you also have pretty quick access to S GA tracks like Echeconne, moto X compound, GPF, MTF, etc...

I love that Montgomery / Auburn area in the winter a lot because you can hit a different track just about every day. Monster Mtn, War Eagle, The Pit, Phenix City, GPF (not too far), then coastal tracks aren’t too far either from FL through AL.
KDXGarage
8/4/2018 11:11pm
Mclarty is open from 12 - 6 today if anyone local is looking to ride.
BBTwin831
8/6/2018 6:22am
Synergy is for sale. Buy it and keep it open.
kdawson252
8/6/2018 9:06pm
My wife and I did consider buying Synergy when I saw it on zillow. But i just don't see it being profitable enough to make the move.

Post a reply to: Motocross in Alabama?

The Latest