Motocross facility near Denver

VetTracker
I was flying into Denver from California the other day and saw what looked like a really nice, multi-track moto playground visible as we came in from the west. It seemed to be next to a cemetery. Anybody know what it's called and how to get there? Is it open to the public?

Thanks!!

|
reded
4/28/2018 1:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2018 1:09pm
I believe you're describing the Watkins track. I rode there a handful of times back in early 2000's and it was open to the public any day of the week. The dirt was the same stuff used on baseball diamonds and the main track was pretty awesome back then. Took a huge digger off of the big table the last time I rode there.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
4/28/2018 6:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2018 6:37pm
https://www.facebook.com/JewellMotocross/

They have 3 tracks for the appropriate skill levels. The pro track was pretty popular 5-6 years ago. The track is still running, but the new owners are not as motivated to keep things going as they did in the past. The dirt is mostly a sand mixture with some clay. It's a very high speed track and great on groom and water days. Use to have the biggest table top in Colorado (120ft)?. They shorten it after too many injuries. It was a 5th gear pinned jump. They called it BIG AL. You would see the nearby farmers showing up in their denim overalls and throwing a helmet on and riding fast! That's right, real ronnies riding around.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
4/29/2018 1:37am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 1:39am
If you came in from the west it wasn't Watkins it was more than likely IMI which has several different dirt tracks and a paved road course and it is lined up with DIAs flight path. Watkins is on the east side of town but if you land on the north/ south runways and had to circle around from the south then you would see Watkins.

http://www.imimotorsports.com/
cjmx
Fantasy
1179th
4/29/2018 6:09am
As the others said it's Watkins. They route you around the airport to get on the correct landing runway or to wait until it's your turn to land. I see it more times than not flying home. East or West.

The Shop

reded
4/29/2018 6:46am
Moto_Geek wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/JewellMotocross/ They have 3 tracks for the appropriate skill levels. The pro track was pretty popular 5-6 years ago. The track is still running, but the...
https://www.facebook.com/JewellMotocross/

They have 3 tracks for the appropriate skill levels. The pro track was pretty popular 5-6 years ago. The track is still running, but the new owners are not as motivated to keep things going as they did in the past. The dirt is mostly a sand mixture with some clay. It's a very high speed track and great on groom and water days. Use to have the biggest table top in Colorado (120ft)?. They shorten it after too many injuries. It was a 5th gear pinned jump. They called it BIG AL. You would see the nearby farmers showing up in their denim overalls and throwing a helmet on and riding fast! That's right, real ronnies riding around.
I came up 2ft short on that mfer AND had the rear wheel catch a rain rut upon impact. Total yard sale afterwards.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
4/29/2018 8:10am
I saw all types of privats tracks flying in. Just booked my trip to the national.
VetTracker
4/29/2018 5:00pm
Thanks for the responses!! The one I saw was definitely Watkins. (I recognize the cemetery!) Looks like a really fun place! IMI Motorsports looks awesome...planning a trip to moto in CO someday!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
4/29/2018 11:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 6:30pm
VetTracker wrote:
Thanks for the responses!! The one I saw was definitely Watkins. (I recognize the cemetery!) Looks like a really fun place! IMI Motorsports looks awesome...planning a...
Thanks for the responses!! The one I saw was definitely Watkins. (I recognize the cemetery!) Looks like a really fun place! IMI Motorsports looks awesome...planning a trip to moto in CO someday!
There is not a cemetery by watkins, there is a paintball field, a solar panel farm and a ultra light air strip but no cemetery. There is a fenced paintball field right next to the track that may look like a cemetery from the air.

Post a reply to: Motocross facility near Denver

The Latest