Motocross business ideas

MotoDogg
Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 1:31pm
I have the opportunity to live in central Europe for long term, where I would like to run a motocross related business. I have experience in mx holiday industry, but due to covid it's plummeted. Now I am "looking for" a business idea and preferaby a partner located in the US, so logistics could go smoothly and US moto lifestyle could be imported. Your input would be appreciated.

Some observations and market research I already have (EU):
-Appareal market is flooded already
-Freetime activities are very popular, but mx tracks are empty
-MX activities and products for kids is booming
-Restaurants, bars are full, no matter how bad the economy is
-Nighlife is so-so, depends on location

My budget is pretty low, but here some of the ideas:
-Motocross pub?
-Motocross cinema with mx movies and race watch nights?
-Mx bike rental and small track for kids?
-Motocross track with a stip club (for winter)? $$$$
-Mx family events with US MX celebrities and FMX show

Main target market would be Hungary, but Romania, Austria, Slovakia, Slovenia, Netherlands, Spain could work too.

What business would you do if you would have a European connection? Feel free to brainstorm and DM me if you would be interested.
|
8500rpm
7/31/2022 12:15pm
Really, MX is booming?

I see a sport in decline in Europe.

I think the boom will be when MTB crowd goes e-moto.

MotoDogg
7/31/2022 12:18pm
8500rpm wrote:
Really, MX is booming?

I see a sport in decline in Europe.

I think the boom will be when MTB crowd goes e-moto.

MX for kids yeah, not for adults tho
Talisker
7/31/2022 12:51pm
There are a lot of people in Europe that don’t have the disposable income that Americans do. They will not go to a outside event and drop one or two hundred dollars on beer and food. I have personally watched people nurse one hot ass beer for three to four hours. Most people usually seek out anything that’s free. Pubs are generally full because people buy one little cafe for a euro and sit and talk all day. Talking all day is free. And this usually are many’s only option. Don’t do it!!!
MotofactioN
7/31/2022 2:01pm
Open a food truck, and have some healthy, but filling and affordable foods for people at local moto tracks. Obviously you’d have to be at other locations as well, but you could do moto tracks some weekends.

I know I wish the moto tracks I go to had food trucks. I chipotle style burrito would be epic. I’d pay like $12 for it

The Shop

philG
7/31/2022 2:33pm
Forget anything in Holland, what is there is struggling to stay open.

My advice is to do something else to earn money and moto for fun.

My buddy has a trail riding place in Italy that he started this year, its doing ok , but that is all
wisey
Fantasy
1341st
7/31/2022 5:31pm
Indoor e moto track.
MotoDogg
8/1/2022 12:35pm
Open a food truck, and have some healthy, but filling and affordable foods for people at local moto tracks. Obviously you’d have to be at other...
Open a food truck, and have some healthy, but filling and affordable foods for people at local moto tracks. Obviously you’d have to be at other locations as well, but you could do moto tracks some weekends.

I know I wish the moto tracks I go to had food trucks. I chipotle style burrito would be epic. I’d pay like $12 for it
Thank you for the input, that might be a good idea.
prozach
8/1/2022 12:42pm
An indoor emoto kids track with bikes and helmets. Kinda like a kart place. In a business park.
GG121
8/1/2022 1:28pm
Open a food truck, and have some healthy, but filling and affordable foods for people at local moto tracks. Obviously you’d have to be at other...

Food truck would be incredible, or even being a vending machine supplier to all your lregional tracks. Have a snack machine full of clif bars and granola bars, and a drink machine with waters, gatorade, etc. Since you said your budget is low, an indoor go-kart rental style track may be too much. What about partnering with a track and offering bike rentals? I know there are bike and quad and UTV rentals at offroad trail facilities, but never seen it at a motocross track. Buy some 110s, trail bikes, some suzuki 250s and YZ125s.
mofomotojoe
8/1/2022 1:38pm
Red Bull Romaniacs seem to portray a moto friendly country. Go East, young man !
I could see a ski lodge type hostel, where you could enjoy mx and enduro tracks, food, facilities, different budget rooms and bike service, amenities, various entertainment.
It might exist already but let that not discourage you.
look up those little parties organizing moto tours, moto vacations , from Costa Rica to Eastern Europe. Often these little group packages seem to use a local(s) who are established.

heck, I could even see rental of some vargs or e-xc's/ e-mtb. That might have less restrictions.

Think from a client point of view, not having to deal with bike shipping, customs, tools... travel to X with friends, moto around and enjoy stuff.

Look what Graham Jarvis has been doing, travelling around the world in semi-private events. Look at what Ricky Johnson is doing, hanging out like a normal joe at a dealership, watching a race and shooting the sh..

So if you could get a known moto racer, you could entice local populace to come ride/ chat/ watch some classes.
Could be Alex Ray showing how to test a clutch, etc...
A tamed down SX track resort in Europe with a guest US pro- ex-pro could bring some clientele.
Bonus if those said racers have some poker game or other social skills aside of moto.
Have RV show the Eastern Europeans how he would smoke that wild deer.

Have you looked into the gritty stuff? like how business/health insurances work over there? how are the emergency services function with tourists, etc..

There's a whole world out there, best of luck. cheers
SEE ARE125
8/1/2022 2:56pm
This VR experience:

We have VR places in the local malls now. Always busy.
TahoeVetMX
8/1/2022 4:25pm
Many things are changing in the industry and will continue to change as the economy falls. New bikes are getting so good that engine mods and aftermarket parts will be less important in the future. Tires, suspension, and bike transport (tie downs, ramps, vans, etc.) will become more important I would think. Sure, things like training, camps, and other items will still do fine. If I were going to get involved in the sport, I would look into anything that makes riding more convenient. Loading bikes, quick awnings or shade, easy tie downs, multi-use systems for motocross and mountain biking maybe? Think about things you would want or need to make the experience more fun.
JazzyJJ
8/1/2022 4:30pm
ElliotB16 wrote:
Boot cleaning?
I thought you had to pay people to clean their boots?
Ridelow
Fantasy
201st
8/2/2022 12:02am
Its a huge difference depending on where u are located.

I run a foodtruck business with 4 trucks and a stationary trailer and Motocross events are a no go economically compared to other offerings, at least in Norway

U said central europe so thats one of these countries?

Austria
Czech Republic
Germany
Hungary
Liechtenstein
Poland
Slovakia
Slovenia
Switzerland

Of those depending on budget, if u want to settle down in europe for long time, find a country that fits and also where the language barrier is not to rough. (assuming you dont know german, polish or polish from before. )

For money making i would have a look on the northern europe. After living 10 years in spain and having several businesses down there its great to be back in Norway. Both business wise and quality of life wise.

Also, Foodtrucks are regulated in almost every country in europe so be sure to check that out. We are branching out to Portugal this winter but Spain is a no go due to massive headaches to start a foodtruck business there..

8/2/2022 5:44am
there is next to no money to be made in the business of motorcycles

make a few hundred million doing something else then open up your own track and just make it a goal to make it pay for itself
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
8/2/2022 6:16am
With everyone's economy about to go to shit?
Fold your money, put it back in your wallet, you've just doubled your money.
But in seriousness, your timing could not be worse.
The next 2 years are going to be real challenging for people to just get through. They'll be very reluctant to spend any money. Good luck though.
TM
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
8/2/2022 9:33am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2022 9:38am
Hire out electric bikes of all sizes - and have a truck with a generator and lots of batteries to silently charge them. Take orders on the spot to sell them straight from the manufacturer.

-Lots of moto bros all over the world would lay down a few hundred dollars to have a fang on a Stark - or even an Alta.

-Their kids can test a stacyc at the same time. Older kids can test the Oset
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
8/2/2022 9:36am
thepelican wrote:
A videogame, and this is no joke
A videogame, and this is no joke
Needs to be V.R. vr360 gopro video is a blast to watch on a Meta Quest 2 - Feels like you are riding the bike

- a video game version of this concept would be so sick - needs to be on the most readily available v.r head set (quest 2) in order to scale well.
MotoDogg
8/15/2022 1:31pm
motokiwi wrote:
Hire out electric bikes of all sizes - and have a truck with a generator and lots of batteries to silently charge them. Take orders on...
Hire out electric bikes of all sizes - and have a truck with a generator and lots of batteries to silently charge them. Take orders on the spot to sell them straight from the manufacturer.

-Lots of moto bros all over the world would lay down a few hundred dollars to have a fang on a Stark - or even an Alta.

-Their kids can test a stacyc at the same time. Older kids can test the Oset
Thank you for the idea
Snoqualmie
3/21/2023 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2023 6:49pm

What do kids spend most time on? PHONES. 

So, as stated above by the @thepelican, make an app. 

How creative are you? Do you know creative folks? There are new AI imagery tools and APIs coming real soon that will afford a creative person to do some wild things, here is an example: https://www.adobe.com/sensei/generative-ai/firefly.html

How about "MX Europe Your Way" which could take one's hometown and make a MX track through it...

Get your Red Bull hat on and think like a 13 year old. 

Mossy940
3/21/2023 9:46pm

For whatever it’s worth, a local track growing up had a guy that converted a moto trailer into a “shop”

He would stock the essentials….tubes, handle bars, levers, chains, one set of boots in each size, one helmet in each size, goggles and tear offs etc.

Basically the stuff you can’t go without if you broke it or forgot it at home.On the cheaper stuff he would mark product up 50%, on the pricier stuff 25%

He also would change tires for a fee

With that said, I can remember him saying on a slow weekend it would be enough to cover his kids racing costs that day, but on busier weekends he could make a good amount.

Always wondered why that idea never caught on with more people 

Post a reply to: Motocross business ideas

The Latest