Motocross bike insurance

Related:
Create New Tag

10/4/2018 3:30 PM

I go through State Farm for insuring my motocross bikes and figured I’d call Geico to get a quote. They won’t insure them in any way, shape, or form because I race a couple of times a year.

Where do you folks go, and who would you recommend me calling for quotes? And yes, I know this has been brought up before.

|

10/4/2018 3:51 PM

Progressive. Around $200/year

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Specialized Fuse Comp 29.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

10/4/2018 7:22 PM

Your insurer does not need to know you "race" your motorcycle. You're only insuring your dirt bike in the event of a total loss (or if you get in an accident on the way to a ride and your bike is damaged).

Why leave State Farm? The price to insure an off-road vehicle is the same just about anywhere.

|

10/4/2018 7:50 PM

c0ncEpT wrote:

+2

|

10/5/2018 12:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2018 12:15 AM

Jeremy Macbeth wrote:

Your insurer does not need to know you "race" your motorcycle. You're only insuring your dirt bike in the event of a total loss (or if you get in an accident on the way to a ride and your bike is damaged).

Why leave State Farm? The price to insure an off-road vehicle is the same just about anywhere.

I may not leave State Farm. I am pulling my muscle/classic cars from them and switching to Grundy because they offer superior coverage in comparison to SF. I’ve really never been one to shop around when it comes to insurance but I feel it may be beneficial to do so, that’s all. Worst case scenario is that I stay with SF.

What may be a little bit for one vehicle adds up when you’re insuring 5 vehicles, 5 motorcycles, a snowmobile, and a bunch of other shit. Just by switching to Grundy with the muscle/classic cars I’ll save several hundred a year. Other companies may help me save more, but I won’t know if I don’t look into it.

|

10/5/2018 4:47 AM

I use foremost. Its about 250ish per year.

|

10/5/2018 4:53 AM

I use Progressive. Cost is $105 per year, which is full coverage. Btw, don't think there is any insurance company who will cover a bike if your racing or riding on a track.

|

10/5/2018 5:35 AM

i have progressive for my bikes/trailer/cars

|

10/5/2018 5:38 AM

c0ncEpT wrote:

+3 Mine is $180 a year, Geico was like $2000

|

10/5/2018 5:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2018 5:39 AM

I went through Progressive and for me (theft only) is $75 a year per bike. That also covers "total loss". Deductible is $500. They will NOT cover it if it races. I straight up told them I ride on motocross tracks all the time but never race and they were cool with that.

|

10/5/2018 5:52 AM

Have had Geico the last few years, $99/year covers two new dirt bikes for comprehensive (fire/theft) and a street bike with liability only.

|

10/5/2018 5:56 AM

RACERX69 wrote:

I use Progressive. Cost is $105 per year, which is full coverage. Btw, don't think there is any insurance company who will cover a bike if your racing or riding on a track.

Agreed. The only reason I insure mine is in case of theft.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Specialized Fuse Comp 29.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

10/5/2018 6:34 AM

kNewc wrote:

I went through Progressive and for me (theft only) is $75 a year per bike. That also covers "total loss". Deductible is $500. They will NOT cover it if it races. I straight up told them I ride on motocross tracks all the time but never race and they were cool with that.

The agent might be(Dont trust the agent, everything is FINE and Covered to sell you a policy), but when it comes time for a claim, the insurance adjuster knows the fine print. They can be a friend or foe.

|

My post is my opinion. If you don't agree with it, I'm OK with it.

10/5/2018 10:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2018 10:10 AM

Moto96 wrote:

The agent might be(Dont trust the agent, everything is FINE and Covered to sell you a policy), but when it comes time for a claim, the insurance adjuster knows the fine print. They can be a friend or foe.

Exactly correct! I actually had a claim due to an accident I had on a 15' KTM 250XC and the adjuster from Progressive absolutely grilled me regarding location and the particular type of riding I was doing. He point blank asked if it occurred during "a competition" or if I was on an MX track. Said if I was, the claim would be rejected.

|

10/5/2018 12:04 PM

kNewc wrote:

Yep the agent will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to buy the policy but when claim time comes around the adjuster will stick it to you no matter what the agent said. Read the policy and understand it.

|

Ed Johnson

10/5/2018 12:13 PM

c0ncEpT wrote:

LumpDog841 wrote:

+3 Mine is $180 a year, Geico was like $2000

Same

|

10/5/2018 12:26 PM

kNewc wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

Yep the agent will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to buy the policy but when claim time comes around the adjuster will stick it to you no matter what the agent said. Read the policy and understand it.

I hope she's my adjuster then lol. Has anyone had a successful claim for a theft on a motocross bike?

|

10/5/2018 12:43 PM

Bikes are no different than a car. If you take your car to street car strip night at the local 1/4 mile and wreck it, you're fucked.
There are clauses in all the fine print that the adjusters will use to deny the claims. "Exhibition of speed" is one frequently used.

"Closed Course" or Competition, stuff like that. Even praciticing at a 'Raceway" would fall under exhibition of speed.

|

My post is my opinion. If you don't agree with it, I'm OK with it.

10/5/2018 4:18 PM

its weird they sponsor a team with that policy stance. I have progressive for theft etc on bike. geico on my camperwhistling it was cheaper that waywassat

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

10/7/2018 7:02 PM

I have Merkal they specialize in bikes ,boats and such . I pay about 500 for my Harley and 2 mx bikes

|

10/7/2018 8:23 PM

I have Gieco for everything, van and bikes.

|

10/7/2018 8:30 PM

kNewc wrote:

X2. Dont ever say the word “racing” with any kind of insurance. Auto no coverage lol

|

8/5/2019 5:14 PM

kNewc wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

kNewc wrote:

I hope she's my adjuster then lol. Has anyone had a successful claim for a theft on a motocross bike?

So theft insurance is a lie? Has anyone ever experienced it working out in their favor? Like getting some sort of money for the stolen bike.

|

8/5/2019 5:18 PM

i would think your home owners/ renters insurance would cover theft.

|

8/5/2019 5:26 PM

Add it to your homeowners

|

8/5/2019 5:59 PM

soggy wrote:

Absolutely does NOT cover it. Most homeowners policy cover one motorized maintainence item. This is usually referring to the lawnmower

|

8/5/2019 6:24 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Add it to your homeowners

Nope
Any motorized vehicle has to have its own policy.
I have 2 street legal bikes with Progressive and 3 red sticker bikes as well.
My red sticker bikes cost me about $400 a year, but I have $10K if extras coverage on them, in case of theft/ fire/ total loss. I am also covered with comp/ collision on them, in case of an accident out on the trails. Medical insurance as well...

|

8/5/2019 7:29 PM

soggy wrote:

Nope gotta have separate policy

|

8/6/2019 4:21 AM

lostboy819 wrote:

kNewc wrote:

MotoMo165 wrote:

So theft insurance is a lie? Has anyone ever experienced it working out in their favor? Like getting some sort of money for the stolen bike.

I know at least one guy that has had their bikes stolen and got paid for them through similar insurance. It's worth the $75 a year IMO.

|

8/6/2019 4:40 AM

Progressive for me is 125/year. Basically just have it for theft. Homeowners wont cover most things with engines.

|