Motocross becoming supercross?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/6/2021 5:08 PM

Maybe I'm an old soul but it seems motocross tracks these days are all about the big jumps. What happened to rough natural terrain hills. I think we need to get back to old school motocross. Imo

|

4/6/2021 5:09 PM

Couldn't aggree more!!

|

4/6/2021 5:54 PM

I like a mix of the two. Natural flowing terrain with some fun jumps mixed in. I definitely wouldn’t say it is getting supercrossy these days. It sure seemed like in the 2000-2010 era when I was racing full time the jumps were bigger, gnarlier, and carried more consequences 🤷🏻‍♂️

|

4/6/2021 5:57 PM

Photo
|

4/6/2021 6:32 PM

Spudnut wrote: Photo

Yes please

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

4/6/2021 6:47 PM

It’s what the kids want now...

|

4/6/2021 6:57 PM

sandman768 wrote:

It’s what the kids want now...

Develop jumping skills. It’s just another skill like braking and cornering. Motocross has evolved, just like every sport and bigger jumps is the result of better motorcycles.

Once you develop technique and conquer your fear, it’s no big deal- in fact it’s nice to take a second in the air to take a breath and relax. But as it always has, fitness will determine if you enjoy yourself or not.

If I can do it at 60 years old, so can you.

|

4/6/2021 7:08 PM

We're fortunate out here in SoCal to have a variety. Glen Helen and one of the newest tracks, American MX, are very much based on the existing terrain. Most other tracks have a healthy mix and very few do-or-die type jumps... It's definitely pulled back in recent years compared to 2000-2010, as stated in another reply.

|

James

4/6/2021 7:13 PM

SoCalMX70 wrote:

We're fortunate out here in SoCal to have a variety. Glen Helen and one of the newest tracks, American MX, are very much based ...more

I must have missed it, where in SoCal is American MX located?

|

4/6/2021 7:13 PM

Photo
|

4/6/2021 7:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2021 7:18 PM

SoCalMX70 wrote:

We're fortunate out here in SoCal to have a variety. Glen Helen and one of the newest tracks, American MX, are very much based ...more

RMT wrote:

I must have missed it, where in SoCal is American MX located?

Sorry, def more central, Kern county. Awesome place!

Search "american mx compound"

|

James

4/6/2021 7:37 PM

I agree with the OP . Not interested in riding or racing on a modern motocross track anymore , but if there was a true natural terrain grass track to go to I'd be there for sure

|

4/6/2021 8:08 PM

So true, dang I hate parking lot track... But that's almost all we have here...
Photo
Photo

|

4/6/2021 8:20 PM

llaliberte22 wrote:

Photo
Photo

Ulverton? I’m not sure

|

4/6/2021 8:29 PM

llaliberte22 wrote:

Photo
Photo

romain524 wrote:

Ulverton? I’m not sure

Yes sir.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

4/6/2021 8:39 PM

mxer192 wrote:

Maybe I'm an old soul but it seems motocross tracks these days are all about the big jumps. What happened to rough natural ...more

The last motocross round of 2020 at Pala was a full blown Daytona style supercross track… .. the riders spent more time in the air jumping through rhythm sections than they did on the ground.
That track was nowhere near a motocross track

|

4/6/2021 8:41 PM

Be happy that they know how to build landings now days, the early 80s was rough! They made great jumps but the landings were so peaked you had to nail the landing or you were sure to hit the ground.

|

4/6/2021 8:45 PM

Bigger worry - supercross becoming arenacross

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

4/6/2021 9:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2021 9:15 PM

mxer192 wrote:

Maybe I'm an old soul but it seems motocross tracks these days are all about the big jumps. What happened to rough natural ...more

What happened to bikes with 6 inches of travel and 12 hp ? If the bikes we bought today were 6 inches of travel and 12 hp we wouldn't have the big jumps and such. Sometimes getting too advanced in a sport hurts the grass roots part of the sport. sad

|

Ed Johnson

4/6/2021 9:26 PM

Their is no choice if people are not open to talking. But real MX has died.

|

4/6/2021 9:48 PM

I think the jumps locally have become kind of tame for the bikes.....at least in my area of the world

|

4/6/2021 9:58 PM

Lightning78 wrote:

The last motocross round of 2020 at Pala was a full blown Daytona style supercross track… .. the riders spent more time in the ...more

I beg to differ.

Pala 2020 was no where near as difficult as the Daytona supercross, for two big reasons- (1) the run up to the jumps at Pala are long and wide and mostly smooth unlike the triples out of the corners in the rough sand at Daytona, and (2) the Daytona track gets a lot rougher than Pala ever gets.

Remember, they used to play with leather helmets in football and never used to throw the ball either, but evolution did what it always does. Moto has progressed and changed for the better.

I am old and I raced during those natural track years at Carlsbad and saddleback in the 70s and 80s, and I am enjoying the sport more today because of the challenges of being able to hold on to a 67 HP rocket ship when most guys my age that used to race are too busy getting fat, wearing that stupid red baseball cap and complaining about how good moto used to be back in the day.

Moto is better today than it ever was back then.

|

4/6/2021 10:05 PM

Bring back Saddleback....

Photo

|

I was raised just off HWY 126 in Valencia during the 80's.

4/7/2021 12:05 AM

I think supercross is the future of Motocross.

|

4/7/2021 12:12 AM

Moto520 wrote:

I think the jumps locally have become kind of tame for the bikes.....at least in my area of the world

Same over here. Jumps were much bigger and steeper 10-15 years ago. Anytime someone decides to build something more difficult/bigger there are lots of complaints or even new rules regarding the obstacle from the federation (stepdowns are banned, which is laughable).

|

4/7/2021 3:11 AM

i think motocross is future of motocross.

|

the ultimate MX renegade from the east shore of the big cold pond

4/7/2021 3:37 AM

I think that you guys wanting straight "natural terrain" are in the minority by far. Hitting jumps makes people feel (insert adjective of choice) and gives them something to shoot for, keep progressing towards etc. I don't think I have ever heard rumblings around the track that there are "to many jumps".

Also if your calling a jump filled MX track "supercross" you need to go take a walking lap of a real SX track.

|

4/7/2021 3:45 AM

navalseabee wrote:

I think that you guys wanting straight "natural terrain" are in the minority by far. Hitting jumps makes people feel (insert ...more

You're probably right . For me personally it's just not fun . Honestly I've never been much of a jumper . I have more fun riding single track in the woods , but years ago we had a place we could ride that was just rolling hills . Probably the most fun I've had on a bike .

|

4/7/2021 3:50 AM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

You're probably right . For me personally it's just not fun . Honestly I've never been much of a jumper . I have more fun ...more

Don't get me wrong I enjoy both types of places but if I had to pick just one, I'm taking the one with jumps.

|

4/7/2021 4:07 AM

Moto520 wrote:

I would agree. LTM is one of the most popular tracks in the Midwest with no really big jumps. I'm 64 and feel like its got a great layout. Plenty wide and nothing sketchy.

|