Motocross and tractors don't mix!

robkinuk
Edited Date/Time 3/29/2013 9:38pm

Check out this video of collision between rider and a tractor working on the track. Not sure where this happened or outcome for rider. My only thought is he was very slow to react, didn't take any avoiding action or brake at all???

Discuss!
|
robkinuk
3/28/2013 4:30am
Ps Can some one imbed video into thread. I used pop up video link but didn't work.
robkinuk
3/28/2013 5:47am
Okay, sorry didn't see original post.
dirtnapper
3/28/2013 6:22am
Horrible video. Hits too close to home, as a young man was killed on our local track in 2008 the same way.

The Shop

The Rock
3/28/2013 7:13pm
How hard is it to only have track equipment on the track when there are no bikes on the track? Can't believe there was anything so urgent that the idiot driving the tractor had to cross the track.

Stuff like this makes be crazy...........and embrassed to be a MX enthusiast.
3/28/2013 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2013 7:39pm
Been posted here a few times. Awful. I think the worst crash I've seen video of really.

Track owner here in georgia lost his son back in the 90s.. he was on a track loader prepping the track and his son somehow was practicing at the same time. Kid went over a jump and landed into the bucket.

Easy problem to fix.. should never happen.
3/28/2013 7:40pm
Oh I think the video in the OP was taken in south africa or somewhere near there. Not that it matter.. stupid shouldn't have happened.
yamadogyz
3/28/2013 9:09pm
Little girl was killed last year in an alike accident at the age of 5. Hope the dude is okay.
Fat Fingers
3/28/2013 10:06pm
It must happen to often, same happened here a few years ago. It seems safe and no one really sees a risk until something bad happens then you realise how bad and risky it is.
jeffro503
3/28/2013 10:20pm
Not all that big of a deal to have equipment out on a private track like that , as long as "everyone" knows it;'s out there.....and it's up to the rider to keep an eye on where the equipment is at all times. It's a shitty deal when someone gets hurt or killed , but damn.......know your surroundings before you go out and drop the hammer on your bike.
The Rock
3/29/2013 8:19pm
I think if you have to keep an eye out for equipment on the track maybe just maybe one might want to find another track to practice on.
3/29/2013 8:29pm
The Rock wrote:
How hard is it to only have track equipment on the track when there are no bikes on the track? Can't believe there was anything so...
How hard is it to only have track equipment on the track when there are no bikes on the track? Can't believe there was anything so urgent that the idiot driving the tractor had to cross the track.

Stuff like this makes be crazy...........and embrassed to be a MX enthusiast.
What makes you think that the tractor wasn't out there before they started riding?

Did you not notice in the video the tractor is clearly visible and working on the track prior to them encountering it?

See the freshly worked dirt on the portions of the track before the collision?

It's pretty obvious to me that the tractor was prepping the track and the riders chose to go out anyway.

If you have some information to the contrary please state it.
benstone
3/29/2013 9:38pm
I came inches away from doing this and it happens a lot easier than you think. A friend of my brother's invited us out to ride on their private track. I rode most of the morning and felt good about learning the layout of a new track has always been the hardest part of riding for me. Once I get it dialed in, I'm a mediocre rider.

But then they started to do some work on a back section of the track and told us to cut that part of the track out by jumping a little berm where the in and out parts of the section were close to each other. I got confused a couple laps later as to where I was on the track and went into the back area and crested a big uphill/downhill and there in front of me was their big ass tractor that had gotten stuck in the middle of the track by hanging up on a tree. I grabbed every bit of brake I could but I was too fast and the down hill was too steep. I saw a little gap to the right between the tractor and a tree and I aimed for it and prayed. I couldn't have missed it by more than an inch or 2 and I was hauling ass. I can still see the tread pattern of that back tire of that stuck tractor.

My fault? Absolutely. As soon as you swing a leg over, you own the outcome.

Their fault? maybe a little but from their perspective those guys have riding that track forever and "cut the back area out" is normal to them. They maybe should have a cone or bale to block it off when they're doing work, but it's 4 guys on bikes in the back field.

Post a reply to: Motocross and tractors don't mix!

The Latest