Motocross Magazines what is the best one to subscribe to?

wfo4ever
3/24/2017 3:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2017 9:30pm
I want to get a motocross magazine subscription in print again. I am old school. Which is the best one to get these days? I used to get them all, but quit due to all the on-line information. I already knew what was in the magazine. I decided to start but which is the best? Any help is appreciated?
|
KR145
3/24/2017 3:15pm
Racer X..... Hard to not be a fan of Weege, DC, Mathes and JT$$
3/24/2017 3:24pm
Racer X is by far the best of the group. Loaded with content, bet writers, no shootout..its awesome.

MXA is well its MXA. Jody...ya.

Transworld MX has the best photographs IMO, comes with a poster, and still has chicks in it however it has tiny font which is the sole reason I unsubscribed. I know, I am the crotchety old guy that can't see.

Dirt Bike is ok but thin and not near as feature filled as Racer X or MXA. They seem to cover GNCC best IMO.

Dirt Rider...not even sure if they exist anymore.

I believe they are doing a deal where you get MXA and Dirt BIke for $30 and you get $25 or $50 back in RockyMountain ATV gift cards.
dirtnapper
3/24/2017 3:27pm
Another vote for RacerX.

They have the best articles without doubt.

Downside - Ping writes for them and still thinks he's funny..........
Tenacious P
3/24/2017 3:32pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2017 3:32pm
In my experience, Motocross Action and Dirt Bike magazines pay for themselves over the course of a year in Harbor Freight coupons alone!

The Shop

GD2
Fantasy
854th
3/24/2017 3:41pm
Racer X and TWMX are must haves.
Ted722
3/24/2017 4:10pm
I've got MXA, Dirt Bike, RacerX and I still read Cycle News weekly "cover to cover." Like the variety.
MX Guy
Fantasy
773rd
3/24/2017 4:13pm
Racer X and TWMX, I'd say those two have the top spots locked down. Cycle News definitely closes out the podium.
kiwifan
3/24/2017 4:35pm
RacerX and Transworld
RandyS
3/24/2017 4:38pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2017 4:40pm
https://www.discountmags.com

Watch for the sales, I think the last time I had them run out I paid 14.95 for 2 years of RacerX. Dirt Rider and Transworld I just renewed for 2 years at 4.99 a year. Sign up for their email list and they send links every week.

I don't subscribe to MXA, I just read my old ones and substitute the year of the bikes.
3/25/2017 12:59am
If you actually want to read about bikes, plus stories about the various races, then MXA is still the best. Transworld is just decent. Racerx is the only magazine i actually throw away after I read it. To me its boring and has zero re-readability.
Rockinar
3/25/2017 1:41am
Magazines are for prisoners.
wfo4ever
3/25/2017 2:52am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2017 3:24am
Racer X is by far the best of the group. Loaded with content, bet writers, no shootout..its awesome. MXA is well its MXA. Jody...ya. Transworld MX...
Racer X is by far the best of the group. Loaded with content, bet writers, no shootout..its awesome.

Transworld MX has the best photographs IMO, comes with a poster, and still has chicks in it however it has tiny font which is the sole reason I unsubscribed. I know, I am the crotchety old guy that can't see.

Dirt Bike is ok but thin and not near as feature filled as Racer X or MXA. They seem to cover GNCC best IMO.

I believe they are doing a deal where you get MXA and Dirt BIke for $30 and you get $25 or $50 back in RockyMountain ATV gift cards.
I do remember TWMX being hard to read, that is when I realized I needed glasses 10 years ago. I am an old fart too!!! I also was in the TWMX "Mullet Hunt" section back in a 2002 issue it had Timmy Ferry #15 on his Factory Yamaha on the cover. Somebody took a photo of me at the Atlanta Supercross. I got my haircut short the next day. I also worked with Tim Ferry's Dad at "Cycles Of Palm Beach" in Palm Beach, they are a great family and some of the nicest people you could ever meet. I remember Racer X was thick but 2/3 of the mag was advertisements, is it still like that? I liked MXA for the bike tests and tech info because I did go up 1 tooth on the rear of my YZ-125 and it really did help. Thanks for all the advice and the tip on the gift cards. Now I might have to go for more than just one.
Drtbykr
3/25/2017 6:38am
Digital subscriber to Dirt Rider and MXA.

Only one I would get in hard copy now would be CW. Have no interest in the street, but CW has writers and contributors who are next level.
3/25/2017 7:13am
Racer X is by far the best of the group. Loaded with content, bet writers, no shootout..its awesome. MXA is well its MXA. Jody...ya. Transworld MX...

wfo4ever wrote:
I do remember TWMX being hard to read, that is when I realized I needed glasses 10 years ago. I am an old fart too!!! I...
I do remember TWMX being hard to read, that is when I realized I needed glasses 10 years ago. I am an old fart too!!! I also was in the TWMX "Mullet Hunt" section back in a 2002 issue it had Timmy Ferry #15 on his Factory Yamaha on the cover. Somebody took a photo of me at the Atlanta Supercross. I got my haircut short the next day. I also worked with Tim Ferry's Dad at "Cycles Of Palm Beach" in Palm Beach, they are a great family and some of the nicest people you could ever meet. I remember Racer X was thick but 2/3 of the mag was advertisements, is it still like that? I liked MXA for the bike tests and tech info because I did go up 1 tooth on the rear of my YZ-125 and it really did help. Thanks for all the advice and the tip on the gift cards. Now I might have to go for more than just one.
Racer X does have quite a few ads..thats the sign of a good magazine. Companies don't put ads in magazines that do have a ROI of some kind. I always like the ads, some companies like TLD really put a lot into a "simple print ad"

I like TWMX and I totally understand the theme/design that calls for smaller font but in this case it literally accomplishes nothing. They waste space just to make it hard to read. Don does great videos for TWMX online, check those out of you haven't.
Moto810
3/25/2017 7:15am
MXA and Dirt Rider
davistld01
3/25/2017 7:25am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2017 7:26am
I've always respected the fact that Roland Heinz, the publisher of MXA & Dirt Bike takes a stand against blatant sexuality being used to sell product by not allowing advertisers to use scantily clad women to model their stuff in his magazines. He is a Christian man, and also the boss...so I guess he can call the shots. He has said that he wants to keep his magazines "kid friendly" no matter what the beliefs of the kids parents are. Yeah, Jody gets a little sideways sometimes...but I'm old school, and have read MXA & DB forever. Still good magazines with good solid information, no matter what your belief system is. You just won't see Monster or Rockstar girls there.

I'll agree that RacerX probably serves the modern rider more, and it's layout is a bit more modern. So, I like it too.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/25/2017 8:17am
Rockinar wrote:
Magazines are for prisoners.
I spend about 30 minutes in solitary confinement each morning...
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/25/2017 8:19am
davistld01 wrote:
I've always respected the fact that Roland Heinz, the publisher of MXA & Dirt Bike takes a stand against blatant sexuality being used to sell product...
I've always respected the fact that Roland Heinz, the publisher of MXA & Dirt Bike takes a stand against blatant sexuality being used to sell product by not allowing advertisers to use scantily clad women to model their stuff in his magazines. He is a Christian man, and also the boss...so I guess he can call the shots. He has said that he wants to keep his magazines "kid friendly" no matter what the beliefs of the kids parents are. Yeah, Jody gets a little sideways sometimes...but I'm old school, and have read MXA & DB forever. Still good magazines with good solid information, no matter what your belief system is. You just won't see Monster or Rockstar girls there.

I'll agree that RacerX probably serves the modern rider more, and it's layout is a bit more modern. So, I like it too.
If you've ever noticed, Racer X Illustrated is laid out pretty much exactly like Sports Illustrated.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
3/25/2017 8:24am
I can hook you up with a good introductory price on Vital MX Insider Cool

Comes with some pretty big perks...just send out a $10 check directly to me and we'll get you handled...Whistling
JM485
3/25/2017 8:33am
ML512 wrote:
I can hook you up with a good introductory price on Vital MX Insider B) Comes with some pretty big perks...just send out a $10 check...
I can hook you up with a good introductory price on Vital MX Insider Cool

Comes with some pretty big perks...just send out a $10 check directly to me and we'll get you handled...Whistling
I fully recommend the premium membership as well, best investment I made in my Vital career and it really help me keep plugging away as I put in the work. I can't thank GuyB, ML, and OC for their help and insight.

I also subscribe to Dirtride (been reading them for probably 10+ years) and Transworld.
Giygas
Fantasy
1349th
3/25/2017 8:47am
Transworld, by far
JWACK
3/25/2017 8:49am
Transworld has the worst bike tests of all.! Most bike tests in that mag are literally a short paragraph to describe everything and how it works. FaiL.... Typical test is something like this--- We put some Enzo suspension on it and now it's just perfect for everyone everywhere every time.
ATKpilot99
3/25/2017 8:55am
Racerx for me . Unless Transworld has changed in the past couple of years (haven't seen one in about that long) it's just fluff imo . I'm older so maybe that has something to do with it. MXA is still good for tests and tech articles I guess but I've kinda lost touch with that mag also. It seems their tests are canned and repetitive to me now.
OW38B
Fantasy
148th
3/25/2017 8:59am
While I like the others and have subscribed to all of them, there is no question which one you need to have......

Mit12
3/25/2017 9:50am
I think you need 2, Racer X and MXA.
Katoomey
3/25/2017 10:05am
Juggs...it's full of sick doubles, but it might have a little too much motorboat coverage if your looking for pure moto

Post a reply to: Motocross Magazines what is the best one to subscribe to?

The Latest