Motocross.... I know nothing

McG194
Wow, just stunned.

I thought that we had one of the strongest teams in recent memory but end up getting our asses handed to us. Do I just think that the Americans are faster than they really are? The track looked worse than any Red Bud track I've ever seen was that a factor? Did we choke? Was this a fluke due to rain, bad starts, Eli DNF'ing Saturday? The recent results say we should do a lot better.

Just last year at the MXGP in Jacksonville R.J. Hampshire waxed the field and so far in his career here he has been just a "guy." Not taking anything away from him because I wished I had his skills but he has not shown championship capability yet. Aaron Plessinger has Hampshire covered most every weekend and R.J. goes 1-1 in his one race against those guys. At this same race Eli and Herlings split wins which says Eli should be able to run with him and TC.

Two years ago in Charlotte Cooper Webb beats Herlings straight up and Forker beats him in a race, while Eli crushes the field.

Glen Helen Herlings takes first followed by Jeremy Martin and Mitchell Harrison of all people while Eli is once again crushing.

I just don't understand why we can't seem to put it together even when the deck is stacked in our favor. We were at home. We were at a quintessential American style track even though it didn't look that way. The French team that won was far and away not the best team they could of fielded and the Netherlands were down a guy. You could say that Americans have focused too much on Supercross so their motocross skills have diminished but you would be ignoring that the country that buts the next highest emphasis on SX is France and they are doing great on the world stage.

I'm at a loss, as I said I know nothing.
|
kb228
10/7/2018 6:54pm
barcia had a mechanical. AP was riding half blind. Eli got a 4th(from like 30th) and crashed in the 2nd moto. Bad luck. Nothing to do with speed. We all know tomac waxed the F out of those guys at USGPs and herlings got beat by the ROOKIE austin forkner and webb. Speed isnt a factor. Were fast enough. Stars didnt align today. Plain and simple.
McG194
10/7/2018 6:57pm
kb228 wrote:
barcia had a mechanical. AP was riding half blind. Eli got a 4th(from like 30th) and crashed in the 2nd moto. Bad luck. Nothing to do...
barcia had a mechanical. AP was riding half blind. Eli got a 4th(from like 30th) and crashed in the 2nd moto. Bad luck. Nothing to do with speed. We all know tomac waxed the F out of those guys at USGPs and herlings got beat by the ROOKIE austin forkner and webb. Speed isnt a factor. Were fast enough. Stars didnt align today. Plain and simple.
That's what I'm saying, of all days the stars should have aligned today. The table was set and there wasn't a situation that I could have foresaw unfolding where we took sixth.

I guess that's why we line up and race because you never know.
Nuffsaid
10/7/2018 6:57pm
kb228 wrote:
barcia had a mechanical. AP was riding half blind. Eli got a 4th(from like 30th) and crashed in the 2nd moto. Bad luck. Nothing to do...
Stars haven’t aligned for over half a decade, right?

The Shop

kb228
10/7/2018 7:04pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2018 7:04pm
kb228 wrote:
Nuffsaid wrote:
id imagine if they did then we would have won. Not totally sure on that one man. Too sciency for me.
10/7/2018 7:06pm
People put too much stock in Webb beating Herlings in charlotte when he was coming back from an injury and wrapping up a title.

I also think that any year Cairoli wasn't in championship contending form was a down year for the GPs.

When Cairoli and Herlings are upping the pace, it brings the entire class up to try and match.

Gajser and Febvre's years were kind of down for MX1.

Remember how many guys got hurt the year Febvre won?
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
10/7/2018 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2018 7:12pm
McG194 wrote:
Wow, just stunned. I thought that we had one of the strongest teams in recent memory but end up getting our asses handed to us. Do...
Wow, just stunned.

I thought that we had one of the strongest teams in recent memory but end up getting our asses handed to us. Do I just think that the Americans are faster than they really are? The track looked worse than any Red Bud track I've ever seen was that a factor? Did we choke? Was this a fluke due to rain, bad starts, Eli DNF'ing Saturday? The recent results say we should do a lot better.

Just last year at the MXGP in Jacksonville R.J. Hampshire waxed the field and so far in his career here he has been just a "guy." Not taking anything away from him because I wished I had his skills but he has not shown championship capability yet. Aaron Plessinger has Hampshire covered most every weekend and R.J. goes 1-1 in his one race against those guys. At this same race Eli and Herlings split wins which says Eli should be able to run with him and TC.

Two years ago in Charlotte Cooper Webb beats Herlings straight up and Forker beats him in a race, while Eli crushes the field.

Glen Helen Herlings takes first followed by Jeremy Martin and Mitchell Harrison of all people while Eli is once again crushing.

I just don't understand why we can't seem to put it together even when the deck is stacked in our favor. We were at home. We were at a quintessential American style track even though it didn't look that way. The French team that won was far and away not the best team they could of fielded and the Netherlands were down a guy. You could say that Americans have focused too much on Supercross so their motocross skills have diminished but you would be ignoring that the country that buts the next highest emphasis on SX is France and they are doing great on the world stage.

6 week layoff. Don't under estimate the effects of that on how the team performed. Roczen also didn't fare very well. GP riders just finished their season last weekend. Normally during our US GP races, its within 2 weeks of our last MX race then followed by the MXoN 1-2 weeks later. This year was a 6 week layoff. That's a lot of time off the "race pace".

McG194
10/7/2018 7:29pm
People put too much stock in Webb beating Herlings in charlotte when he was coming back from an injury and wrapping up a title. I also...
People put too much stock in Webb beating Herlings in charlotte when he was coming back from an injury and wrapping up a title.

I also think that any year Cairoli wasn't in championship contending form was a down year for the GPs.

When Cairoli and Herlings are upping the pace, it brings the entire class up to try and match.

Gajser and Febvre's years were kind of down for MX1.

Remember how many guys got hurt the year Febvre won?
I'm not putting too much stock in Cooper web beating him because of what Cooper Webb has become. Right now CW should and would get smoked by JH, that's why the win was shocking. All I'm doing is looking at the evidence we have.

My thought process this year was that Herlings and Tomac were the two best riders in the world each one could beat the other at any given time and we would never know the best unless they raced each other over a season. The next two I had as Musquin and Cairolli. I pretty much thought those 4 were head and shoulders above the rest of the world. With MM not even racing when I consider him one of the 4 fastest men in the world I thought France didn't have a chance.

I'll say something that is rarely ever said about the French, they refused to surrender..........

Hahaha had to do it.
McG194
10/8/2018 12:53pm
Re-watching some of it and looking at pictures I'm just stunned at how Euro that Red Bud looked. Track prep was definitely not set up in our favor. Not an excuse because we should still have done better but it really killed the home course advantage.
10/8/2018 12:59pm
Is there something in America's water that puts you in to denial when something doesn't go your way? I mean wtf..
McG194
10/8/2018 3:24pm
Is there something in America's water that puts you in to denial when something doesn't go your way? I mean wtf..
Reading comprehension not your strong suit eh mate? (Polite American way of asking if you are an idiot.)

Please show any denial that I posted.
motomike137
10/8/2018 3:29pm
kb228 wrote:
Nuffsaid wrote:
Actually there is truth to that. We coulda shoulda won it just two years back. The chips fell our way many many times in the past and now it seems like we can only roll snake eyes!
KMC440
10/8/2018 3:36pm
Supercross style of motocross doesn't work. Banging off of berms is slower than railing them, especially in those conditions.
10/8/2018 3:40pm
McG194 wrote:
Wow, just stunned. I thought that we had one of the strongest teams in recent memory but end up getting our asses handed to us. Do...
Wow, just stunned.

The track looked worse than any Red Bud track I've ever seen was that a factor?

Yes it was this.

Multiple riders have been saying it for yrs, and multiple riders have since said it in regards to yesterday's race.

The AMA guys are exceptional on AMA prepared tracks, but generally struggle to varying degrees on any deviation away from that. It can be fixed over time (2 or 3 yrs) by prepping the circuits differently.

Post a reply to: Motocross.... I know nothing

The Latest