Motocross History: The Events That Shaped American Motocross

tblazier
Edited Date/Time 2/5/2020 8:38pm
The Events That Shaped American Motocross

Way back in 2012 this was one of the first articles I penned for PulpMX.com. When we moved the site to Wordpress a few years back a bunch of these legacy articles got fragged so I have been going back and slowly rebuilding them. When I started to read this one, I realized that both my writing has improved quite a bit in eight years and some of the people and events it referenced had become dated so I went ahead and re-wrote the whole dang thing.

Clocking in at about 14,000 words this was not an easy task and took me several weeks of work to complete. Now that it is done I am very happy with the results and I hope you all will read and enjoy the labors of my work.

|
mumbles
Fantasy
842nd
2/4/2020 10:24am
Tony, Fantastic article. I can't imagine how much time and research that took. That picture of Joel Roberts RH250 is what made me get a 73 TM250. I put white fenders and green number plates on it. I still think that bike is one if not the most beautiful bikes ever.

Here is a shot of me in early 74.

tblazier
2/4/2020 10:51am
mumbles wrote:
Tony, Fantastic article. I can't imagine how much time and research that took. That picture of Joel Roberts RH250 is what made me get a 73...
Tony, Fantastic article. I can't imagine how much time and research that took. That picture of Joel Roberts RH250 is what made me get a 73 TM250. I put white fenders and green number plates on it. I still think that bike is one if not the most beautiful bikes ever.

Here is a shot of me in early 74.

Love that shot! God our bars were wide back then.
mumbles
Fantasy
842nd
2/4/2020 3:41pm
It made me get those elbows up....haha
Silas444
2/4/2020 4:13pm
Fantastic. So well researched. We can only hope our youthful moto-heads might decide to take an interest in the history of their sport, because if they do, they'll find it is a truly fascinating history. One thing I'd like to add to the story, if only because my heart won't allow me to leave this unsaid, is that Edison Dye isn't the only under-appreciated aspect of motocross history here. I speak of the Italian spirits company MARTINI. They were often the sole, singular sponsor of those early major races, and in one of the pictures you featured, a MARTINI banner is there in the background. DeCoster and Robert wore Martini jerseys when they raced their CZs here, and they didn't wear them for free. It was the checks that company was willing to write, over and over and over again, that allowed motocross to become what it has.

The Shop

tblazier
2/5/2020 12:43pm
Silas444 wrote:
Fantastic. So well researched. We can only hope our youthful moto-heads might decide to take an interest in the history of their sport, because if they...
Fantastic. So well researched. We can only hope our youthful moto-heads might decide to take an interest in the history of their sport, because if they do, they'll find it is a truly fascinating history. One thing I'd like to add to the story, if only because my heart won't allow me to leave this unsaid, is that Edison Dye isn't the only under-appreciated aspect of motocross history here. I speak of the Italian spirits company MARTINI. They were often the sole, singular sponsor of those early major races, and in one of the pictures you featured, a MARTINI banner is there in the background. DeCoster and Robert wore Martini jerseys when they raced their CZs here, and they didn't wear them for free. It was the checks that company was willing to write, over and over and over again, that allowed motocross to become what it has.
That is true. Martini was Monster before there was a Monster. Thank you for reading!
BobbyM
2/5/2020 5:49pm
When I was a wee lad of 9 or 10 I saw Joel Robert smoke everybody at an inter-am in Santa Cruz in the late 60's. Also saw him at Carnegie in the early 70's. Roger was there along with Sylvain Geboers. Great memories. Thanks tblazier.
montesagold
2/5/2020 8:38pm
Can’t wait to read... as a 3rd generation rider and 2nd generation motocrosser, much of this history I know as I geek out on the early years. I have a couple of buddies that I’ve recruited as riders and fans and are obsessed with the sport but I wouldn’t know where to start with a proper history lesson. This will do the trick for sure thanks

Post a reply to: Motocross History: The Events That Shaped American Motocross

The Latest