Outsider
8/27/2013 9:42am
flarider wrote:
How would you know that in advance?
Years of experience in your business should give you an idea. Smile
Spode
8/27/2013 9:52am
DC wrote:
A refresher course for the misinformed. There were years of problems and distrust between Glen Helen and the AMA, and for good reason, with blame to...
A refresher course for the misinformed.

There were years of problems and distrust between Glen Helen and the AMA, and for good reason, with blame to go around. But it had nothing to do with MX Sports until 2010, when Bud wanted a five-year deal with MX Sports (we took over the responsibilities of the entire series in 2009), yet the changes and upgrades from the previous contract had not been met. So we offered a shorter deal, one additional year, which would take him through '10 and '11 and then see what work was done. It was an impasse, and Bud chose to go a much different route, canceling his national two months before it was scheduled to run and running a GP instead for two years. That didn't work out so well, and we've had some misadventures too.

But we are now in a position to look further down the road. Two five-year deals were announced last night between MX Sports and NBC, and for Lucas Oil as the longterm sponsor. That's a big, wonderful deal for motocross in general. A lot of promoters want to be involved now, new and old....

This should be a fun off-season, and a productive one. And it's already started.

DC
MX Sports
But we are now in a position to look further down the road. Two five-year deals were announced last night between MX Sports and NBC, and for Lucas Oil as the longterm sponsor. That's a big, wonderful deal for motocross in general. A lot of promoters want to be involved now, new and old....

This should be a fun off-season, and a productive one. And it's already started.

DC
MX Sports

Does it help the riders ?
Hopefully the payouts will be porportional to the new found sponsorship money
JLong
8/27/2013 9:55am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2013 9:55am
flarider wrote:
How would you know that in advance?
Outsider wrote:
Years of experience in your business should give you an idea. Smile
The product is the RACING. The track is the distributor. Ever gone to a run down building to buy a great product? Ever seen a great band in a shit hole venue? Would you sacrifice witnessing history because of a venue? It's been epic and we've see great racing in all the venues, both historic and new, both hated and loved.
JLong
8/27/2013 10:09am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2013 10:10am
Is it really this bad? Deepest field since the 80's. Guys fighting for positions. Weston Peick- a true privateer fighting for his career. Best TV presence I've ever seen. Texas was not my favorite track- viewing was limited, flat terrain, hot as hades, but pretty good facility relatively speaking. I took my son to watch RD, RV, JS, CR in their prime- priceless.

Half full or half empty?

The Shop

VicDaMoan03
8/27/2013 10:54am
DC, please re-open negotiations to bring back Glen Helen. The series would be better with it on the schedule.

Signed,
MX Fans everywhere
Outsider
8/27/2013 10:59am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2013 11:00am
JLong wrote:
The product is the RACING. The track is the distributor. Ever gone to a run down building to buy a great product? Ever seen a great...
The product is the RACING. The track is the distributor. Ever gone to a run down building to buy a great product? Ever seen a great band in a shit hole venue? Would you sacrifice witnessing history because of a venue? It's been epic and we've see great racing in all the venues, both historic and new, both hated and loved.
Track is part of the product. Did you watch Elsinore? Guys jumping off the side of the track because the layout was bad? Some of the lines in and out of corners were completely retarded!

Very lucky there weren't more crashes in the first moto due to that snotty, shitty, lakebed dirt. It wasn't good, didn't look good TV, and isn't good for the sport in general, imo. Don't get me wrong, I love the live TV, but don't sacrifice important things like the track to get it.
Racer92
8/27/2013 12:30pm
flarider wrote:
People demanded a race in the SE, a location and promoter became available and Freestone's contract expired. Freestone is not off the schedule forever, just for...
People demanded a race in the SE, a location and promoter became available and Freestone's contract expired.

Freestone is not off the schedule forever, just for now.
In todays climate of anti-offroad-everything, track-suing opportunists everywhere, "not on my land" property owners, shyster promoters, protesting neighbors, I just wonder if are any other person(s) out there who were contemplating whether they would want to take their land (a property large enough to actually host a National), physically alter it to be a National level track, spend the kinda major capital that Tony put forth to make his farm capable of hosting that type of event, work with the local community and they actually embrace the event, put all that effort forth have it moved down the road just that fast. Despite the odds, Tony made all the planets line up and spent a small fortune to get a National in Texas, now its gone.

I realize Im a peon in the grand scheme of things and to get right down to it, its none of my business. But after seeing what Tony went through, Id just leave the cows on the pasture, the cash in a portfolio and go fishing.
flarider
8/27/2013 12:44pm
flarider wrote:
People demanded a race in the SE, a location and promoter became available and Freestone's contract expired. Freestone is not off the schedule forever, just for...
People demanded a race in the SE, a location and promoter became available and Freestone's contract expired.

Freestone is not off the schedule forever, just for now.
Racer92 wrote:
In todays climate of anti-offroad-everything, track-suing opportunists everywhere, "not on my land" property owners, shyster promoters, protesting neighbors, I just wonder if are any other person(s)...
In todays climate of anti-offroad-everything, track-suing opportunists everywhere, "not on my land" property owners, shyster promoters, protesting neighbors, I just wonder if are any other person(s) out there who were contemplating whether they would want to take their land (a property large enough to actually host a National), physically alter it to be a National level track, spend the kinda major capital that Tony put forth to make his farm capable of hosting that type of event, work with the local community and they actually embrace the event, put all that effort forth have it moved down the road just that fast. Despite the odds, Tony made all the planets line up and spent a small fortune to get a National in Texas, now its gone.

I realize Im a peon in the grand scheme of things and to get right down to it, its none of my business. But after seeing what Tony went through, Id just leave the cows on the pasture, the cash in a portfolio and go fishing.
Bobby, I understand how you feel and I had a nice talk with Tony about it at LL's
Sam Gammon, who runs Muddy Creek, has been around a long time and operates probably some of the most successful races series', indoor and out, on the east coast, so he's not a sketchy promoter on a sketchy property.

Just as the planets aligned for Tony, this time they all aligned for Sam.

The good thing for Tony, and smart thing on his part, is that he's taking it in stride and knows that he may get his race back when an opportunity opens up, but people have been demanding (crying for) a racing in the SE ever since Gatorback went away...though I don't see the Tri-cities area of TN as the "Southeast"
I think it's only a couple hours difference, driving time, between the two for me....it's pretty far north for us, just as Texas is pretty far west
JLong
8/27/2013 1:13pm
Outsider wrote:
Track is part of the product. Did you watch Elsinore? Guys jumping off the side of the track because the layout was bad? Some of the...
Track is part of the product. Did you watch Elsinore? Guys jumping off the side of the track because the layout was bad? Some of the lines in and out of corners were completely retarded!

Very lucky there weren't more crashes in the first moto due to that snotty, shitty, lakebed dirt. It wasn't good, didn't look good TV, and isn't good for the sport in general, imo. Don't get me wrong, I love the live TV, but don't sacrifice important things like the track to get it.
I never said Elsinore was perfect not do I believe it was. I did see plenty of potential hazards and some guys get out of shape. Moosekin on the side of the jump was sketchy. But he misjudged it, or cross rutted, or spun up the face.

But I also saw some damn good second moto 250 battles, just as at MMP.

Villo's clinic made both "horrible" tracks look like a walk in park. I'll watch that anywhere, but preferably in difficult situations.
CR500AF
8/27/2013 1:16pm
JLong wrote:
The product is the RACING. The track is the distributor. Ever gone to a run down building to buy a great product? Ever seen a great...
Outsider wrote:
Track is part of the product. Did you watch Elsinore? Guys jumping off the side of the track because the layout was bad? Some of the...

For a riders perspective, here is an RV quote from the post race press conference at Elsinore:
http://www.racerxonline.com/2013/08/26/monday-convo-ryan-villopoto

Q. And what did you think of the track conditions? Obviously everyone has their own opinion. Everyone said it was kind of dusty, kind of tricky. What did you think?

RV: It’s so-so. Maybe this is the way the sport’s going, the sport’s moving, is kind of these stage style outdoor tracks, kind of like a little supercross with all the jumps. It’s good for the fans. It’s sometimes hard to get some really good dirt, and that’s the problem with the way this place is right here.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it sure sounds to me that the riders (or at least RV) don't like the "stage style" man-made tracks at Elsinore and Utah.

If the top riders aren't happy with the tracks, how long will they stick around to produce the product?
Racer92
8/27/2013 1:25pm
flarider wrote:
Bobby, I understand how you feel and I had a nice talk with Tony about it at LL's Sam Gammon, who runs Muddy Creek, has been...
Bobby, I understand how you feel and I had a nice talk with Tony about it at LL's
Sam Gammon, who runs Muddy Creek, has been around a long time and operates probably some of the most successful races series', indoor and out, on the east coast, so he's not a sketchy promoter on a sketchy property.

Just as the planets aligned for Tony, this time they all aligned for Sam.

The good thing for Tony, and smart thing on his part, is that he's taking it in stride and knows that he may get his race back when an opportunity opens up, but people have been demanding (crying for) a racing in the SE ever since Gatorback went away...though I don't see the Tri-cities area of TN as the "Southeast"
I think it's only a couple hours difference, driving time, between the two for me....it's pretty far north for us, just as Texas is pretty far west
I hear you Dave, but with that kinda of specter looming (blow a fortune, lose the race just that fast) what message does that send to other persons thinking of putting together a National on thier place?

Tony is taking it in stride cuz he's one of the most laid back persons ever, but what choice does he have but to grin and bear it? His cash is spent, his property physically altered. I know he'd prolly never answer the question and who am I to guess whats in his head, but Id guess if you woulda told him he would only get a handful of Nationals and then lose the race, I doubt he'd ever fooled the entire endeavor to begin with.

Thanks for the info on all that.
JLong
8/27/2013 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2013 2:20pm
CR500AF wrote:
For a riders perspective, here is an RV quote from the post race press conference at Elsinore: http://www.racerxonline.com/2013/08/26/monday-convo-ryan-villopoto Q. And what did you think of the...
For a riders perspective, here is an RV quote from the post race press conference at Elsinore:

Q. And what did you think of the track conditions? Obviously everyone has their own opinion. Everyone said it was kind of dusty, kind of tricky. What did you think?

RV: It’s so-so. Maybe this is the way the sport’s going, the sport’s moving, is kind of these stage style outdoor tracks, kind of like a little supercross with all the jumps. It’s good for the fans. It’s sometimes hard to get some really good dirt, and that’s the problem with the way this place is right here.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it sure sounds to me that the riders (or at least RV) don't like the "stage style" man-made tracks at Elsinore and Utah.

If the top riders aren't happy with the tracks, how long will they stick around to produce the product?
I'm guessing if you ask Villo how long he'll be around he'd have about $5MM (or more) reasons to stay. He would probably say a few SX's sucked, Elsinore obviously not a highlight.
dantheman
8/27/2013 2:55pm
DC wrote:
Dantheman, I never represented the NPG in any bidding process for the series; I presented one bid from MX Sports and it lost. DMG won the...
Dantheman, I never represented the NPG in any bidding process for the series; I presented one bid from MX Sports and it lost. DMG won the bid, then turned to MX Sports and asked us to handle motocross for them, as they are a road- and dirt-track racing-based company owned by Jim France of Daytona and NASCAR fame.

MX Sports and the NPG both LOST the bid for the series from AMA, because the NPG literally wasn't/isn't a business and had no ability to run the series on it's own, so their bid wasn't excepted, and MX Sports was out-bid by DMG. Bud now knows that now, but he probably didn't five years ago because he was not engaged in this process.

The source who did that interview never asked me my side, never spoke to the AMA or DMG about those events, never asked Lori Bryan (who actually represented GH at NPG meetings), never asked Bud to explain the things he was mistaken about, never corrected the record.

On March 29, 2010, Glen Helen canceled their own national, went into the GP business; MX Sports found a temporary replacement at Pala. No other promoter has canceled a national since, but yet that's also lost in this rewritten history.

Compare the TV package now to what we had, the SX-only deals we used to all hate, the state of the economy from then until now, the growing audience both live and on TV and I think our sport is doing much better now that it was before all this happened.

DC
MX Sports
DC, thank you for your reply, even though you don't owe me one. And please accept my apologies Wink I know better than to get involved in threads like these but I suffered some sort of deductive I.Q. sapping brain fade obviously, grrrr Sad I'm not even fortunate enough to be able to blame it on drugs or alcohol...

Lesson learned.

P.S.
Oh wait I know... it's all that pent up anger from losing GATORBACK all those years ago... yes, HELLO, still holding on to that one Tongue hahahaha
flarider
8/27/2013 3:32pm
dantheman wrote:
DC, thank you for your reply, even though you don't owe me one. And please accept my apologies ;) I know better than to get involved...
DC, thank you for your reply, even though you don't owe me one. And please accept my apologies Wink I know better than to get involved in threads like these but I suffered some sort of deductive I.Q. sapping brain fade obviously, grrrr Sad I'm not even fortunate enough to be able to blame it on drugs or alcohol...

Lesson learned.

P.S.
Oh wait I know... it's all that pent up anger from losing GATORBACK all those years ago... yes, HELLO, still holding on to that one Tongue hahahaha
Blame Bill and Jerry West on that one....
dantheman
8/27/2013 3:38pm
flarider wrote:
Blame Bill and Jerry West on that one....
Oh no, you're not hooking me again that easy flarider... I'm NOT blaming anyone... I didn't see anything, didn't hear anything... I don't know anything Tongue I just like to watch me some moto from now on!!! LOL
Sully22
8/27/2013 3:46pm
It is kinda funny seeing people get so worked up over Glen Helen not being on the schedule, a handful of perceived “bad” tracks this year, and how these things affect the overall scope of the entire outdoor national mx series. Newsflash, this years series was a HUGE success. People adapt, or they go the way of the dinosaur. Like many other people have stated here, the outdoor national mx series is a business, it’s run like a business, there are legal business contracts involved, and multi million dollar television business deals being made. When people don’t live up to their end of contracts and don’t honor making the necessary changes agreed to in contracts because they feel as though they were lied to, tricked, duped, above making the changes, feelings were hurt, or whatever, and they decide they’ll take their business elsewhere, then they need to pick up their ball and go play in another court and accept the choice they made, but don’t go out there and give a revisionist history account of what actually happened. Why aren’t some of you guys mad at Glen Helen for producing an inferior product called a GP? I don’t get why you’re more upset at DC because he didn’t give into GH demands, than you are at GH for not making the necessary changes, backing out 2 months before the national was scheduled, and then producing a shitty product out of spite, or at least a product that had NO chance of success in the US called GP mx. You act as though DC should go running back to Bud and GH begging and pleading for forgiveness and the chance to once again put GH on the schedule….contraire mi amigos!

I give mega applause and accolades to DC and MX sports for what they’ve accomplished and where they’re taking the series. Here’s a suggestion for those complaining their favorite track Glen Helen isn’t on the schedule of 12 races….next time they’re accepting bids for the series, and you and your buddies are upset because GH isn’t on the schedule, then you should put together a group like mx sports, NPG, DMG, or youthstream, and bid / compete against these guys so you can run the series how you see fit, add or subtract whatever tracks you want or don’t want, grow the sport how you want, and payout millions in prize money to the guys riding around in 30th – 40th place.
rollingtach
8/27/2013 3:49pm
Glenn Helen is the Mecca of Motocross so both sides should agree to a mediator and make it happen.
Outsider
8/27/2013 3:49pm
^^Bangcock... figures!
mxjef
8/27/2013 4:08pm
Sully22 wrote:
It is kinda funny seeing people get so worked up over Glen Helen not being on the schedule, a handful of perceived “bad” tracks this year...
It is kinda funny seeing people get so worked up over Glen Helen not being on the schedule, a handful of perceived “bad” tracks this year, and how these things affect the overall scope of the entire outdoor national mx series. Newsflash, this years series was a HUGE success. People adapt, or they go the way of the dinosaur. Like many other people have stated here, the outdoor national mx series is a business, it’s run like a business, there are legal business contracts involved, and multi million dollar television business deals being made. When people don’t live up to their end of contracts and don’t honor making the necessary changes agreed to in contracts because they feel as though they were lied to, tricked, duped, above making the changes, feelings were hurt, or whatever, and they decide they’ll take their business elsewhere, then they need to pick up their ball and go play in another court and accept the choice they made, but don’t go out there and give a revisionist history account of what actually happened. Why aren’t some of you guys mad at Glen Helen for producing an inferior product called a GP? I don’t get why you’re more upset at DC because he didn’t give into GH demands, than you are at GH for not making the necessary changes, backing out 2 months before the national was scheduled, and then producing a shitty product out of spite, or at least a product that had NO chance of success in the US called GP mx. You act as though DC should go running back to Bud and GH begging and pleading for forgiveness and the chance to once again put GH on the schedule….contraire mi amigos!

I give mega applause and accolades to DC and MX sports for what they’ve accomplished and where they’re taking the series. Here’s a suggestion for those complaining their favorite track Glen Helen isn’t on the schedule of 12 races….next time they’re accepting bids for the series, and you and your buddies are upset because GH isn’t on the schedule, then you should put together a group like mx sports, NPG, DMG, or youthstream, and bid / compete against these guys so you can run the series how you see fit, add or subtract whatever tracks you want or don’t want, grow the sport how you want, and payout millions in prize money to the guys riding around in 30th – 40th place.
You know what, DC can hold his race where ever he wants to.
That being said, if it's at Glen Helen I will go there to watch it. Just like I did for every national that's been run there.
If it's at a track like Elsinore or even Pala, I will stay home and watch it on TV, just like most of the Southern California fans have chosen to do.
8/27/2013 6:10pm
88sdad wrote:
Pala ?

Freestone ?

Elsinore ?
Racer92 wrote:
Id like to hear the truth as to why Freestone was dropped. Tony put everything he had into that deal. You [i]will not [/i]find a better...
Id like to hear the truth as to why Freestone was dropped.

Tony put everything he had into that deal. You will not find a better man than Tony Miller, anywhere.
newmann wrote:
No doubt, people like Tony Miller are what the sport needs. People up to their eyeballs in debt and that pile of shit track that closed...
No doubt, people like Tony Miller are what the sport needs. People up to their eyeballs in debt and that pile of shit track that closed out the season with a foreclosure on the land and equipment(?) .....not so much.
If Tony's ranch sat on the land Whitney, Cycle Ranch or Swan has we would still have a national.
wacker
8/27/2013 6:17pm
Glenn Helen is the Mecca of Motocross so both sides should agree to a mediator and make it happen.
hahahaha. That's kinda funny. As a track-riding motocross enthusiast Glen Helen tops my list of "WILL NOT RIDE EVER FOR ANY REASON" right next to Lake Elsinore. And Elsinore was 5 minutes from my old house. I enjoyed watching nationals at Glen Helen (on TV). And I enjoyed Elsinore (on TV), as I didn't really feel like going out and watching and was more than happy to be able to still enjoy it live from the comforts of my AC. Thanks Davey, and thanks motocross.
bd
8/27/2013 6:50pm
Unlike most of the UT drunk boys who think their current SLC track is worthy of national, I cannot in good faith recommend any track for a MX National. Maybe Mesquite who I think should take advantage more of elevation opportunities. None have the infrastructure needed for a National.

Wish it wasnt true.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
8/28/2013 12:24pm
bd wrote:
Unlike most of the UT drunk boys who think their current SLC track is worthy of national, I cannot in good faith recommend any track for...
Unlike most of the UT drunk boys who think their current SLC track is worthy of national, I cannot in good faith recommend any track for a MX National. Maybe Mesquite who I think should take advantage more of elevation opportunities. None have the infrastructure needed for a National.

Wish it wasnt true.
Utah drunk boys? They have alcohol in Utah? When did this happen?
8/28/2013 1:59pm
What were the changes that needed to be fulfilled that weren't? Does anyone know? What does Glen Helen not have that other tracks do?
JLong
8/28/2013 2:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2013 2:10pm
Mecca to who? I say that with all due respect.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
8/30/2013 3:07pm
JLong wrote:
Mecca to who? I say that with all due respect.
Weege open the Elsinore broadcast with "Southern California is the Mecca of Motocross" , I think that is what he is referring to.
Travis707
8/31/2013 12:34pm
Don't know if I agree that Glen Helen is the Mecca of Motocross but there is definitely a lot of moto history there. However, I think the great experiment known as the last two Nationals should NOT be repeated in the future. Still don't understand why Daytona is a Supercross and MMP is a National. But, don't want to whip a dead horse too much.

That being said, if there isn't a better National-caliber track and facility available in SoCal then, in the interest of the sport, a return to GH makes sense. We've been hearing about some good stuff that will be announced soon so hopefully that will translate into the Nationals getting back on track. (Pun intended)

Just my opinion, but based upon what has happened within the sport this year, as well as the weak economy, I see GH returning to the National schedule soon, perhaps within a couple years. I also see Southwick returning.
8/31/2013 1:07pm
CR500AF wrote:
For a riders perspective, here is an RV quote from the post race press conference at Elsinore: http://www.racerxonline.com/2013/08/26/monday-convo-ryan-villopoto Q. And what did you think of the...

Here's what he said in his interview with Matthes:

Pulpcast with RV2 after Elsinore:

Matthes: How was the track today? Better or worse than miller? I thought it was prepped better.
Villapoto: I thought Miller was better. um it's tough because kinda these are new tracks.. kinda like stadium style tracks, lots of jumps, kind of supercrossy.
Matthes: Neither one's your favorite.
Villapoto: Nah, no, for sure.. I wouldn't say they were great, ya know but what can they do.

Pulpcast with Mitch after Elsinore

Matthes: Hey I wanna get your take on the last two tracks here [MMP & Elsinore].. if you read the internet a lot of people feel like motocross is going downhill being ruined. What's your take on these facilities?
Payton: Hold on... My eyes are shut because the dust is blowing in my eyes.
Matthes: Ya, it's gnarly. What's going on?
Payton:: We're in a sandstorm, in the bottom of a dry lake. Lake Elsinore is right there this is like push-off from it. Blow sand. Um. I didn't think.. and I hate to say that, because Miller Motorsports, the facility is fantastic. I thought the track was a little bit... not.. good. And I thought Elsinore was better than I expected it to be but I thought it still not good. My opinion is we're 30 minutes away from Glen Helen and that's a national track. If we're serious aboug giving the fans and the teams and riders what they expect, I think we need to be at a national track. Looking at... no I don't. I, uh.. I don't...
Matthes: If you're buddies wiht Davey or buddies with Bud...
Payton: No, I like all of them but I just there needs to be... you know, they need to make peace. That's the best thing we got in Southern California. For the nationals when they rip it, and you got the hills and you can watch and you can see. You don't get to watch 3 corners. It's a facility that is out here perfect for a national, and that's why it used to have a national. If the right people talk and they have sense that's what we need to go back to it. I pray that they do that because the fans are not gonna continue to come to these flat, uh, events like this. I don't think they get an opportunity to watch the guys that much.

Post a reply to: Motocross Fans have Important message for Glen Helen

The Latest