Motocross Family Needs Your Help to Battle Township Board

11/11/2014 3:39pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2014 7:24am
Thank you all very much for your support...we read the writing on the wall.
|

The Shop

JBernard_401
11/11/2014 4:02pm
a 65cc 2 stroke on 14 acres of land in the country and they are complaining? can you even hear that bike riding 400m away?
private land in the country, are there any noise restrictions? how are they even remotely able to tell you that you have to doze it if its not public accessible for fear of someone getting hurt on it thats not insured?
pete24
11/11/2014 4:07pm
boy the internet is a god dam good way for people to ask for money, lets see you bought a 18000 dollar track you can probably fight for it your self and you shouda spent that 18k on the kids education, not a dream, with that said i do believe you should be able to do what ever you want on your own land
11/11/2014 4:12pm
Really, Pete? I may have blown my combat tour pay on our son's passion. Surprised that we would get that type of response in this community forum...not a problem, though brother...thanks.
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
11/11/2014 4:22pm
Really, Pete? I may have blown my combat tour pay on our son's passion. Surprised that we would get that type of response in this community...
Really, Pete? I may have blown my combat tour pay on our son's passion. Surprised that we would get that type of response in this community forum...not a problem, though brother...thanks.
Thanks for your service!!

I think where you might lose people on this is that you ask for money after mentioning your 14 acres and a professionally built track.. Sorry it just doesn't exactly inspire people to give money..as much as say donating money to a downed rider, injured vet or someone with cancer. Just putting things into prospective.

That being said good luck with your fight!
moore433
11/11/2014 4:24pm
Hope this works out for you. It's unbelievable that all these people try and tell you what you can do on your own property. Everyone should mind their own damn business.
I was riding at a track we used to have north of Dallas named McAfee ' s mx and a cop car came on the property and pulled up to my toy hauler and said that I had to stop riding because my bike was too loud and bothering the upscale neighborhood 2 miles down the road. I told him that if anyone had a problem with my bike they should talk to Honda because it was showroom stock at the time. He didn't like that but he left....
smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
11/11/2014 4:27pm
my post is pretty much brads. bad deal though when 14 acres isnt run by the owners of it.

hey pete,go pound sand. he did not ask for your wisdom.
pete24
11/11/2014 4:30pm
Really, Pete? I may have blown my combat tour pay on our son's passion. Surprised that we would get that type of response in this community...
i see you edited out the fact that you spent 18000 on the track good job, im going easy on you cuz its veterans day but this one will be in the dumegon soon
Skippie
11/11/2014 4:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 4:36pm
You have to understand how it sounds though. You obviously had the money spend on the track in the first place, if they take away your track its a bummer but it's not like your kid will never ride again. When you see other fundraisers going on at the moment, take Todd Krieg for example, who do you think I'm going to give my money to? The kid who's paralyzed from the chest down and who's family is swamped in thousands of dollars in medical bills, or you guys fighting the city to keep your private track you spent nearly 20k on. It's a bad deal for sure but I don't see why we should give you our money.

And for those reasons I'm out Tongue
smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
11/11/2014 4:38pm
i would invest if skippie would like to split it with me........ahhhhhhhhh,waited too long. i am also out.Silly
edgo897
11/11/2014 4:42pm
Are you friendly with your neighbors? How long have you owned the land? What's around you, did you just move in and build it? Is it just for your son or are more bikes using it? I don't think it's difficult to predict when you're going to piss off neighbors.
11/11/2014 4:55pm
Before you get involved in all this expensive legal stuff, have you thought about talking to the people complaining? Go door to door or contact the HOA and setup a meeting. Introduce yourself, and explain that it is for your son, and that it's not a business. Try to work with them and ask when they wouldn't mind the noise as much. Propose that you can ride weekdays between 11-4 or something like that, or Saturdays and not Sundays. Take it a step further and tell them you are taking steps to quiet the bike with a decibel dawg, or that you plan on planting evergreen trees around the track to dampen the noise. Will the trees work? Probably a little bit, but the fact that you are willing to work with them and willing to make changes can go a long way.

Also, post up no trespassing signs immediately, and maybe even invest in a gate for your house. A friend of mine recently got in the same problems as you, and a police officer actually walked into the woods and placed a decibel reader on his property without permission or his knowledge. His wife happened to drive by and see the officer coming out of the woods, and they later shared the results from the reading with him.
Eventually, he went and talked to his neighbors and they agreed that there will be no issues during the week and occasionally on weekends. He took it a step further and had some water people come out and tell him what changes needed to be made on erosion prevention. Things are not perfect, but at least the track he dumped money into gets used sometimes.
Hope this helped, and good luck.
superorbital
11/11/2014 5:01pm
You are pretty new here, too. You have been here for 2 weeks. You can't just show up and start asking for money.
KTMShane699
11/11/2014 5:02pm
my post is pretty much brads. bad deal though when 14 acres isnt run by the owners of it. hey pete,go pound sand. he did not...
my post is pretty much brads. bad deal though when 14 acres isnt run by the owners of it.

hey pete,go pound sand. he did not ask for your wisdom.
He didn't ask for Pete's wisdom...only his money.

Public forum here, and everyone's entitled to their opinion.

That being said, given other causes around this isn't one I will be donating to. So as others have said...I'm out.

Shane
11/11/2014 5:08pm
I feel bad for your situation and for others in the same. It's a shame this forum is filled with grumpy assholes who don't know how to keep their mouths shut. They obviously don't have kids enjoying the sport.
joe stanley
11/11/2014 5:16pm
Might be worth it to contact Sue Cooper from Supercoops MX in Maybee, Mich to see what they did to keep thier track open. They had a huge battle with govt and neighbors for a while.
moco
11/11/2014 5:50pm
Well, by the sound of this I guess I won't have much luck getting any support for my bathroom renovation.
11/11/2014 6:36pm
Nice track.. was always my dream, too. I would negotiate with the neighbors.. people change when there is something in it for them.. they could care shit about others. The details have all been deleted, but of this is really just 1 65cc bike, you can show them the sound is barely perceivable, but also negotiate;
1. The times/ days when you will ride
2. Offer to pay them $2-300 a year (if just a couple of houses complaining which is usually the case) "inconvenience/ nuisence fee"

Maybe you have to compromise and skip every other Sunday, but at least it is not a total loss.

mike
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
11/11/2014 6:57pm
Do donations get riding privileges?
11/11/2014 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2015 3:43am
Top End
11/11/2014 7:40pm
Get a stock Honda CRF110 for your kid. No noise no problem
Hut
11/11/2014 7:44pm
Let's see; hungry kids that need winter coats in my community or help pay lawyers for your kids private dream track. Huh
Bressler11
11/11/2014 8:40pm
Thankyou For sharing Mr. Allen, But isn't this Reason we pay the AMA...? I would try contacting them I think they have lawyer's specifically for this kind of bullshit from the township. Goodluck racing this upcoming year maybe I will see you guys at an Area Qualifier... Oh and to the asshole's that said you should of spent the money on your kid for college. Screw them that is what college loans are for haha...
Jack mehoff
11/11/2014 9:33pm
Thank you all very much for your support...we read the writing on the wall.
I will be available in the spring to ride around town and let the manure fall out off the spreader , it just don't have the same effect in the winter
steveada
11/12/2014 5:01am
It is not clear whether the issue with the township is the construction of the track or just noise from riding in general. You need to research county and township ordinances about noise restrictions and the like and see where you stand from that regard. If it is a noise issue be proactive. It looks like a fairly rural area so I assume neighbors have lawn mowers, tractors, chain saws and other various noisy tools they may use fairly regularly. Get yourself a noise meter, it will be a better investment than a lawyer in this regard. Every time they fire something up, go to the edge of your property closest to the noise and take a reading, preferably when they are working right along the property line. Get your son out on the track and go to various points around the edge of your property and take some readings. Be prepared with all this data when you go before the board, and hopefully you can show that the noise from your son riding is no more intrusive than your neighbors lawn mower or chain saw. If it is an issue with the actual construction of the track, see if you did violate any ordinances by not getting a permit first, or providing for erosion control etc. and work to rectify that with the township before the meeting. Don't just wait for the town meeting for them to tell you what to do or to try and argue your case, be proactive.
Sixeightone
11/12/2014 7:01am
Hey guys, I've been building a CR500AF and well I've invested nearly thousands into it and it's my pride and joy! I almost have it completed and my girlfriend decides she wants to get married... Yikes right!! I still have to get some suspension work done and need to get a pipe and some bars but I already blew my load on everything else and now I have to pay for a damn wedding. So who's gonna help me with finishing the bike of my dreams!!
TailSoHard
11/12/2014 7:14am
First of all, thank you for serving, you deserve to be able to build your kid a motocross track, so don't let these numbskulls get you down about spending your hard-earned money on whatever you want.

Secondly, I cannot believe the reaction from some of these people! You guys should just be happy that there are people out there still building tracks and places for kids to learn to ride. Money-wise, it's no different than someone buying a new KTM (or two, or three) every year, especially when moto is your passion (and when you have a family full of riders). I've never been so disappointed in the moto community... I thought we were better than that...

Lastly, maybe it was edited, but I don't see where he was asking for money... There was already another thread where they were simply asking for help and support, and they received all kinds of reassurance that we are all on the same side and that we would help in any way we could: http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Michigan-track-needs-your… and now all people can say is "nah, fuck that guy, he has money that he should have spent somewhere else..." Fuck that! Even if I don't get to ride there, I don't want to see anyone lose their riding area, especially someone who has the resources to help stimulate the motocross economy. I don't know if you guys have noticed, but the motocross world can use all the support it can get, and I know I can't afford to go out and build a track or even go buy a new bike, so maybe it's not a bad thing that he used his hard-earned money to fuel his family's passion.

What if Stewart, Villopoto, Windham, Mcgrath, Dungey, Roczen, etc had posted up that their own personal tracks were being threatened to be shut down?? I'm sure you guys would all drop to your knees and open your mouths at the chance to help them out, but since you don't know this guy, he's suddenly a douchebag?? Whatever... I guess I just don't understand

Post a reply to: Motocross Family Needs Your Help to Battle Township Board

The Latest