Motocross Etiquette

Nerd
1/21/2020 6:59pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
When contact was made, it was pretty much a dead heat but it looked like it was more a case of Ferrandis sliding into Craig than...
When contact was made, it was pretty much a dead heat but it looked like it was more a case of Ferrandis sliding into Craig than Ferrandis actually blocking him in the “traditional” sense. I don’t think it was an egregious move by Ferrandis, but understand why Craig’s fan base could be upset.

The part about Craig’s front wheel running over Ferrandis’s rear wheel didn’t appear to occur.

haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
1/21/2020 6:59pm
Nerd wrote:
Ferrandis can't think for Craig. Ferrandis believed Craig would shut off, but he was prepared for Craig not shutting off by making sure he'd get to...
Ferrandis can't think for Craig. Ferrandis believed Craig would shut off, but he was prepared for Craig not shutting off by making sure he'd get to the line to take it away before Craig did if Craig decided to race him to that intersection. In that scenario, Ferrandis knows he won't take the brunt of the impact as long as he gets there first. And he did, as he anticipated.

Yes, they're wrong. Langston, Carmichael, and many others see it the way I see it. Most of this comes down to their biases. Who is friends with Craig? Who has been at the receiving end of a similar move and didn't like it (after they also took an inadvisable outside line as if they didn't have Windham on their ass)? Who is 16 years old and just trying to calm his own IG followers down who are now attacking him for defending Ferrandis?
The image above shows Craig has already braced for impact, and potentially pulled in the clutch, ie. stopped forward momentum. Had he not done that then perhaps Dylan doesn't beat him there by a millimetre. They would still both go down. But in your books it is then a dumb move and Dylan is at fault?

Whatever the case, he came in far to hot, blew him off the track and both riders went down. In the real world its a dumb move and you're wrong. I dont have any bias at all in this, never met either. I just know that was a dumb pass that went wrong.

Also you're wrong.
Nerd
1/21/2020 7:02pm
haydos25 wrote:
The image above shows Craig has already braced for impact, and potentially pulled in the clutch, ie. stopped forward momentum. Had he not done that then...
The image above shows Craig has already braced for impact, and potentially pulled in the clutch, ie. stopped forward momentum. Had he not done that then perhaps Dylan doesn't beat him there by a millimetre. They would still both go down. But in your books it is then a dumb move and Dylan is at fault?

Whatever the case, he came in far to hot, blew him off the track and both riders went down. In the real world its a dumb move and you're wrong. I dont have any bias at all in this, never met either. I just know that was a dumb pass that went wrong.

Also you're wrong.
Craig checked up way too late. Again, Ferrandis got there first, and Craig opened the door for that to happen.

Open the door for a faster racer who is on your ass and you'd better expect they'll go through that door. Could Ferrandis have waited? Sure. But he didn't have to. The crash was caused by Craig refusing to give up the line after he already opened the door.
gb4mx
1/21/2020 7:05pm
Wow' Some members seem to be getting there post count up.

The Shop

Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
1/21/2020 7:06pm
haydos25 wrote:
The image above shows Craig has already braced for impact, and potentially pulled in the clutch, ie. stopped forward momentum. Had he not done that then...

Also you're wrong.
Nerd wrote:
Craig checked up way too late. Again, Ferrandis got there first, and Craig opened the door for that to happen. Open the door for a faster...
Craig checked up way too late. Again, Ferrandis got there first, and Craig opened the door for that to happen.

Open the door for a faster racer who is on your ass and you'd better expect they'll go through that door. Could Ferrandis have waited? Sure. But he didn't have to. The crash was caused by Craig refusing to give up the line after he already opened the door.
Racer111
1/21/2020 7:07pm
Then why was Ferrandis penalized?
Nerd wrote:
Because the AMA sucks at dishing out penalties.
You’re about as sharp as a bowling ball. His COACH DV12 even said it was a dumb move.
jeffro503
1/21/2020 7:07pm
Nerd wrote:
Ferrandis can't think for Craig. Ferrandis believed Craig would shut off, but he was prepared for Craig not shutting off by making sure he'd get to...
Ferrandis can't think for Craig. Ferrandis believed Craig would shut off, but he was prepared for Craig not shutting off by making sure he'd get to the line to take it away before Craig did if Craig decided to race him to that intersection. In that scenario, Ferrandis knows he won't take the brunt of the impact as long as he gets there first. And he did, as he anticipated.

Yes, they're wrong. Langston, Carmichael, and many others see it the way I see it. Most of this comes down to their biases. Who is friends with Craig? Who has been at the receiving end of a similar move and didn't like it (after they also took an inadvisable outside line as if they didn't have Windham on their ass)? Who is 16 years old and just trying to calm his own IG followers down who are now attacking him for defending Ferrandis?

Are you fingers worn to bloody nubs yet , arguing with planet earth? Need some help with locating a new doc to prescribe a new med script? Laughing

haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
1/21/2020 7:09pm
Nerd wrote:
Craig checked up way too late. Again, Ferrandis got there first, and Craig opened the door for that to happen. Open the door for a faster...

So now you're admitting Craig checked up? So its conceivable to think that had he not then Dylan wouldn't have been in front at point of contact? But its still Christians fault?

So it's Craigs job to check up early enough to allow Dylan to get to that point of the track without contact? Seems like alot of responsibility is being placed on the guy who begins the turn in front, has no rear vision mirror and is expected to predict where the pass could be coming from. All because the rider behind is "faster" in your opinion. Dylan has the luxury of knowing exactly where Christian is, he can go anywhere he likes and doesn't have to use premonition to avoid contact, something that Christian should be doing in your opinion.

I feel like you're grasping at straws here and trying to hard to be contrarian.
APLMAN99
1/21/2020 7:13pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
When contact was made, it was pretty much a dead heat but it looked like it was more a case of Ferrandis sliding into Craig than...
When contact was made, it was pretty much a dead heat but it looked like it was more a case of Ferrandis sliding into Craig than Ferrandis actually blocking him in the “traditional” sense. I don’t think it was an egregious move by Ferrandis, but understand why Craig’s fan base could be upset.

The part about Craig’s front wheel running over Ferrandis’s rear wheel didn’t appear to occur.

Nerd wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/01/21/399623/s1200_A414CDFE_8DE5_4E1E_8E09_188952414E62.jpg[/img]

There isn’t any good landmarks that provide good perspective on that photo, but from the photo showing it from the front it definitely looks like Ferrandis is sliding into Craig’s bike, not blocking his line. Ferrandis was moving more laterally, while Craig was moving forward.

As I said, it was pretty much a dead heat.

The big point I’d make is that Ferrandis didn’t T-Bone Craig, nor fully kamikaze him. He came in hotter than he had been and couldn’t hold that inside line/rut. I absolutely don’t think he tried to do anything dirty, it just looks that way to people who want to believe that.
Nerd
1/21/2020 7:14pm
haydos25 wrote:
So now you're admitting Craig checked up? So its conceivable to think that had he not then Dylan wouldn't have been in front at point of...
So now you're admitting Craig checked up? So its conceivable to think that had he not then Dylan wouldn't have been in front at point of contact? But its still Christians fault?

So it's Craigs job to check up early enough to allow Dylan to get to that point of the track without contact? Seems like alot of responsibility is being placed on the guy who begins the turn in front, has no rear vision mirror and is expected to predict where the pass could be coming from. All because the rider behind is "faster" in your opinion. Dylan has the luxury of knowing exactly where Christian is, he can go anywhere he likes and doesn't have to use premonition to avoid contact, something that Christian should be doing in your opinion.

I feel like you're grasping at straws here and trying to hard to be contrarian.
"Admit"? If he was going to check up, it needed to happen much earlier. Racers' fingers are always on the clutch. There's no reason to believe he checked up. You said he did, I went with it because it doesn't matter.

You don't need a rear-view mirror to see the guy in front of you, slightly to your right, coming in hot. Especially when you knew he was there already.

If Ferrandis got to the intersection after Craig, Ferrandis would've been the one who miscalculated and caused the problem. But he didn't.
Nerd
1/21/2020 7:17pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
There isn’t any good landmarks that provide good perspective on that photo, but from the photo showing it from the front it definitely looks like Ferrandis...
There isn’t any good landmarks that provide good perspective on that photo, but from the photo showing it from the front it definitely looks like Ferrandis is sliding into Craig’s bike, not blocking his line. Ferrandis was moving more laterally, while Craig was moving forward.

As I said, it was pretty much a dead heat.

The big point I’d make is that Ferrandis didn’t T-Bone Craig, nor fully kamikaze him. He came in hotter than he had been and couldn’t hold that inside line/rut. I absolutely don’t think he tried to do anything dirty, it just looks that way to people who want to believe that.
He got there first. He definitely wasn't trying to do anything dirty. After Craig opened the door, and Ferrandis went through that door, Craig should've checked up. That was his responsibility to do that. He didn't. Instead, it seems as if he believed he could get out of the turn before Ferrandis got to his line, and he failed to do that.

Ferrandis, on the other hand, believed he could get to the line first, and he did. That's that.

Ferrandis won the race. Craig could've been on the box in second or third, but instead he got a DNF. There's no reason to penalize or boo Ferrandis for this outcome.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
1/21/2020 7:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2020 7:22pm
Regis wrote:
I think the riders will judge him on his actions both before and moving forward. There have been plenty of right and wrong decisions by the...
I think the riders will judge him on his actions both before and moving forward. There have been plenty of right and wrong decisions by the AMA. (Black flag of Reed comes to mind) No matter how you slice it, it was a dumb move at the wrong time. DV said it. It wasn’t malicious, but it was dumb.

The bottom line for myself and I know this is for many, many others that actually haves raced and have been out there, If you crash with the guy you are block passing, then the consensus is you’re the idiot at fault.

I’m actually embarrassed about the fans In our sport for booing and treating DF and his Wife the way they have on social media and at the stadium. I feel bad for them both. It absolutely ridiculous what I am reading and hearing people say / type. This is a deeper problem with today’s society though. Everyone can be a tough dickhead with no repercussions. It’s sad. He is being boo’d more so for not be American. That’s bullshit
Nerd wrote:
So, if you're getting block-passed, and you just fall on the guy, he's the idiot and not you? Got it. That's incredibly dumb, but sure. James...
So, if you're getting block-passed, and you just fall on the guy, he's the idiot and not you?

Got it.

That's incredibly dumb, but sure. James Stewart did that to Chad at least 2-3 times, where Chad had a clean block-pass and Stewart just stayed on the gas and fell on Reed, taking them both down. That's just those two guys.

The guy in front has a responsibility to be aware of what's around him and act accordingly. If he goes wide when someone's on his ass, that's on him. Sometimes it pays off, but it's on him to get it right or don't. This isn't some kind of pitty party. Make choices and live with them.

But yes, of course he's being booed for being French. And because he won (and Jett didn't). And the boos are likely why the weak-ass AMA penalized Ferrandis.
Welcome back you stubborn S.O.A.B!!!!!! LMAO

You are still wrong, but it’s nice to see you digging your heels in again.
Thor34103
1/21/2020 7:23pm
So if the guy in the back changing his line to go through the open door does so in a way that causes himself to crash...
So if the guy in the back changing his line to go through the open door does so in a way that causes himself to crash (as DF did here), does that logic still stand? In other words, riding in such a way that is unrealistic to making the turn (see Alessi versus Tickle also) nullifies the attempt to "go through an open door," and converts it into a "take out."
I have to agree with this..... It was a pick up pass.
APLMAN99
1/21/2020 7:42pm
I don’t think either rider got to any subjective line first. They were about as even as you could get without just lining them up on edge.

The contact was clearly not anyone being hit from behind, it was just Ferrandis not being able to keep the line that it looked like he intended to and he slid into Craig. Nothing vicious, just a racing incident.

Here’s a crappy TV pic just before impact and they are side by side, only issue is that Ferrandis is still sliding. His front end is cranked hard to the right, he wasn’t trying to get into or block Craig’s line, he was simply sliding out of his own line into the side of Craig’s bike.

If Craig’s rear wheel didn’t take the big hop, wouldn’t have hardly been noteworthy.

Nerd
1/22/2020 8:03am
APLMAN99 wrote:
I don’t think either rider got to any subjective line first. They were about as even as you could get without just lining them up on...
I don’t think either rider got to any subjective line first. They were about as even as you could get without just lining them up on edge.

The contact was clearly not anyone being hit from behind, it was just Ferrandis not being able to keep the line that it looked like he intended to and he slid into Craig. Nothing vicious, just a racing incident.

Here’s a crappy TV pic just before impact and they are side by side, only issue is that Ferrandis is still sliding. His front end is cranked hard to the right, he wasn’t trying to get into or block Craig’s line, he was simply sliding out of his own line into the side of Craig’s bike.

If Craig’s rear wheel didn’t take the big hop, wouldn’t have hardly been noteworthy.

Why are you focused on this whole “got hit from behind” thing? I didn’t say Ferrandis was hit from behind. Who did?
Nerd
1/22/2020 8:58am
This forum is worthless.
APLMAN99
1/22/2020 12:08pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I don’t think either rider got to any subjective line first. They were about as even as you could get without just lining them up on...

Nerd wrote:
Why are you focused on this whole “got hit from behind” thing? I didn’t say Ferrandis was hit from behind. Who did?
If your view is that Ferrandis was in front, then by extrapolation Craig must have been behind. For Craig to hit him, by definition he’d have had to ‘hit him from behind’.

I understand your frustration, the full sequence doesn’t clearly show either guy “in front” when contact occurs and that basically blows your entire lecture/rant to pieces.

I’m sure you’ll survive.....
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/22/2020 12:30pm
Nerd wrote:
This forum is worthless.
Thanks.
Nerd
1/22/2020 1:26pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
If your view is that Ferrandis was in front, then by extrapolation Craig must have been behind. For Craig to hit him, by definition he’d have...
If your view is that Ferrandis was in front, then by extrapolation Craig must have been behind. For Craig to hit him, by definition he’d have had to ‘hit him from behind’.

I understand your frustration, the full sequence doesn’t clearly show either guy “in front” when contact occurs and that basically blows your entire lecture/rant to pieces.

Craig contacted Ferrandis’s bike from the side. A T-bone happens when the second bike hits the front bike in the side. Ferrandis was in front when they hit.

You know these things. Leave it to Aplman to present a disingenuous argument, though. Same as always.
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
1/22/2020 1:39pm
Nerd wrote:
This forum is worthless.
So when people don't agree with you then the forum is worthless?

You really are a sore loser aren't you.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/22/2020 1:40pm
Nerd wrote:
Craig contacted Ferrandis’s bike from the side. A T-bone happens when the second bike hits the front bike in the side. Ferrandis was in front when...
Craig contacted Ferrandis’s bike from the side. A T-bone happens when the second bike hits the front bike in the side. Ferrandis was in front when they hit.

You know these things. Leave it to Aplman to present a disingenuous argument, though. Same as always.
Angry
Nerd
1/22/2020 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2020 1:47pm
Nerd wrote:
Craig contacted Ferrandis’s bike from the side. A T-bone happens when the second bike hits the front bike in the side. Ferrandis was in front when...

GuyB wrote:
Angry
To be clear, I wasn’t saying Craig T-boned Ferrandis. Aplman is trying to present an argument that if Ferrandis was in front of Craig, Craig would have hit him “from behind”. As in “the rear wheel”.

I was pointing out that in a T-bone, people don’t hit someone “from behind” but in the side, despite the person being in front when they are hit.
Nerd
1/22/2020 1:48pm
haydos25 wrote:
So when people don't agree with you then the forum is worthless?

You really are a sore loser aren't you.
No, when threads get out in the dungeon for no reason, the forum is worthless.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/22/2020 2:00pm
Nerd wrote:
No, when threads get out in the dungeon for no reason, the forum is worthless.
How about we do our own separate travel plans for the next couple weekends?
APLMAN99
1/22/2020 2:22pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
If your view is that Ferrandis was in front, then by extrapolation Craig must have been behind. For Craig to hit him, by definition he’d have...

Nerd wrote:

The pictures clearly show that Ferrandis slid into Craig. Ferrandis says he slid into Craig. Ferrandis was not clearly in front when contact occurred.

No one “T-Boned” anyone in this instance. I didn’t say Craig hit anyone’s rear wheel, so your quotes there are dishonest at best.

Your attempted ad hom reeks of desperation.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
1/25/2020 6:14am
Nerd wrote:
For the uninitiated, who seem to be confused, maybe I can help: It seems like we’ve lost track of basic motocross etiquette. People seem to think...
For the uninitiated, who seem to be confused, maybe I can help:

It seems like we’ve lost track of basic motocross etiquette. People seem to think you can leave a door wide open and it’s “not fair” for the (faster) guy behind you to try and go through that door.

Bullshit. It’s their *job* to go through that open door! It’s *your* job not to open it! Don’t leave the door open! And if you do, don’t act surprised when someone goes through that open door!

That’s how moto works! It’s simple, consistent, and historically accurate as well! This is how everybody has always judged cases of motocross etiquette, and that’s what this Ferrandis/Craig incident really is. It’s about etiquette. Who has the right of way? The rider in front! “For how long?” There’s no minimum amount of time someone needs to be in front to have the right of way. Whoever is ahead at the precise moment that a bad thing (collision) happens has the right to be wherever they are on the track *because* they’re ahead of the other person (as long as they are on the track).

Be aware of who’s in front and behind you, and act accordingly! If you do not act accordingly, it’s not up to anybody *else* to change racing etiquette so that the person who left the door open is absolved of all responsibility for their own actions! If you leave the door open when you know a faster racer (or *any* racer) is right on your ass, you fucked up! It’s that simple!

So, whoever’s wheel is behind when the two bikes hit, they’re the one who is at fault for whatever negative consequences result from the collision. Because either they tried to go through a door that wasn’t open enough (often resulting in a T-bone), or they let someone through their open door and then tried to close the door on them after it was too late.

This is how it works and has always worked.

Who is ahead here?
Good post Nerd.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
1/25/2020 6:16am
APLMAN99 wrote:
The pictures clearly show that Ferrandis slid into Craig. Ferrandis says he slid into Craig. Ferrandis was not clearly in front when contact occurred. No one...
The pictures clearly show that Ferrandis slid into Craig. Ferrandis says he slid into Craig. Ferrandis was not clearly in front when contact occurred.

No one “T-Boned” anyone in this instance. I didn’t say Craig hit anyone’s rear wheel, so your quotes there are dishonest at best.

Your attempted ad hom reeks of desperation.
The picture doesn't show any sliding, the rear tyre is rugged into the ground, you see dirt up to the rim.
APLMAN99
1/25/2020 1:14pm
The overhead shot is poor resolution, but you can make out the slide marks of the rear tire in it. You can also see the slide pretty clearly on the RacerX story breaking down the incident.

Post a reply to: Motocross Etiquette

The Latest