Motoconcept Team and Honda

Related:
Create New Tag

3/10/2018 10:24 PM

Didn't Mike Genova say they couldn't beat the factory teams because of the huge support the factory teams could pull in? If he did I'm glad to see he was wrong. How much Factory Honda support does MC get? Are they a fully privately funded team? That was a great ride by Brayton and a great race in general. This season has not disappointed.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

3/11/2018 7:47 AM

captmoto wrote:

Didn't Mike Genova say they couldn't beat the factory teams because of the huge support the factory teams could pull in? If he did I'm glad to see he was wrong. How much Factory Honda support does MC get? Are they a fully privately funded team? That was a great ride by Brayton and a great race in general. This season has not disappointed.

The funding comes from Genova’s pocket and a couple sponsors, mostly Genova though.

Parts wise...I think it’s limited to a few stock bikes and OEM parts. You can buy everything on Brayton’s bike outside of the billet Nissin front brake caliper, and the forks and shock...I mean, you could get close on suspension, very close.

|

3/11/2018 7:59 AM

So that bike was probably the least trick bike to win a supercross since...?

|

3/11/2018 8:02 AM

early wrote:

Didn't Short win his on a mostly stock bike? Or was he getting help by that point in the season?

|

3/11/2018 8:03 AM

early wrote:

Andrew Short?

|

3/11/2018 8:14 AM

early wrote:

Great question!

|

3/11/2018 8:16 AM

When Short was with Chap Aaron, I think he was getting direct support from Honda....meaning, I think his bike at the time was much more "outfitted" than Brayton's was. I am likely wrong on this though so someone please correct me haha

|

SMOOTHER • LIGHTER • FASTER
www.slfmotion.com

Instagram - @slfmotion
Facebook - SLF Motion

3/11/2018 8:18 AM

early wrote:

olds cool wrote:

Andrew Short?

Yes, Andrew Short won the seattle sx after a few solid rides leading up to in 2012. It was a completely off the shelf bike with no more than chapparal as just a shop sponsor.

|

3/11/2018 8:19 AM

early wrote:

davis224 wrote:

Didn't Short win his on a mostly stock bike? Or was he getting help by that point in the season?

That’s before the L&Mc Team fell apart. So his win in Seattle was on a leased HRC bike basically.

|

3/11/2018 8:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2018 8:31 AM

early wrote:

olds cool wrote:

Andrew Short?

darius228 wrote:

Yes, Andrew Short won the seattle sx after a few solid rides leading up to in 2012. It was a completely off the shelf bike with no more than chapparal as just a shop sponsor.

Seattle was prior to the team losing their leased equiptment, here’s the podium photo from that evening. The bike you’re thinking of was from 2013.
Photo

|

3/11/2018 8:35 AM

This is the bike a few are thinking of when Andrew Short comes to mind, it’s from 2013, the year after his win. Photo

|

3/11/2018 9:07 AM

MOTO120 wrote:

When Short was with Chap Aaron, I think he was getting direct support from Honda....meaning, I think his bike at the time was much more "outfitted" than Brayton's was. I am likely wrong on this though so someone please correct me haha

Ah, I had my years mixed up. So was it 2013 when he started out with LMC, then the deal suddenly fell apart, and he rode several races on a mostly stock Honda before getting some more support? Or am I pulling random bits from different years and making my own story up?

|

3/11/2018 9:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2018 9:19 AM

So in a case like this does Honda throw a huge win bonus Braytons way or is that up to Genova?

Seems to me Honda is coming out of this like a champ. Even more so than if one of their factory riders wins. “Brayton wins Daytona on a bike you can buy”

|

3/11/2018 9:48 AM

Honda needs to step up and support MCR more

|

3/11/2018 11:06 AM

MOTO120 wrote:

davis224 wrote:

Ah, I had my years mixed up. So was it 2013 when he started out with LMC, then the deal suddenly fell apart, and he rode several races on a mostly stock Honda before getting some more support? Or am I pulling random bits from different years and making my own story up?

2012 and 2013 were with L&Mc, early into 2013 the team sorted dissolved due to a lack of funding. Then through a series of people helping him; including staff from his prior L&Mc team, the freshly dissolved JWR/original L&M squad, and a few private individuals, he had a fairly stock Honda for a few rounds before getting on with BTO KTM. Round to round the bike was changing, but at its first race it was basically a stock bike with a clutch, hi-comp piston, fuel, (maybe mapping) some kit KYB forks, modified stock shock, wheels, clamps, etc. The only real factory bit on the bike was some HRC footpegs and brackets with a different offset that someone, who's on this forum actually, managed to snag for him.

|

3/11/2018 11:08 AM

ML512 wrote:

This is the bike a few are thinking of when Andrew Short comes to mind, it’s from 2013, the year after his win. Photo

Hence, the question mark after "Andrew Short". Wasn't sure. I stand corrected. Much TY.

|

3/11/2018 11:10 AM

early wrote:

Ricky Ryan

|

3/11/2018 11:20 AM

Did Chad win some in '11 before getting factory suport?

|

3/11/2018 11:26 AM

early wrote:

pistolpete451 wrote:

Ricky Ryan

What was Larry Wards bike like for his last SX win?

|

3/11/2018 11:55 AM

I just looked up what exactly Mike Genova does and there was a racer x interview where he stated that he owns a business that manufactures aftermarket products for the hot tub industry. Now, I'll fully admit that I'm ignorant on the costs and profits of running a business, but I'm amazed that a business like that makes enough money to afford Mike the apparently huge sums it takes to fund this race team and make what, I would guess, is a comfortable living for Mike at the same time.

|

3/11/2018 12:09 PM

early wrote:

pistolpete451 wrote:

Ricky Ryan

early wrote:

What was Larry Wards bike like for his last SX win?

Ward was on a Factory Suzuki when he won Tampa in 1998.

|

3/11/2018 12:26 PM

Davi millsaps Suzuki

|

3/11/2018 12:32 PM

Construction wrote:

Davi millsaps Suzuki

That's a good comparison, that team had their own in-house engine development program and had similar help on suspension as Brayton does with Showa onboard. Actually, Brayton gets the same level of suspension as HRC with their good grace while Davi's bike actually had A-Kit.

|

3/11/2018 12:38 PM

ML512 wrote:

That's a good comparison, that team had their own in-house engine development program and had similar help on suspension as Brayton does with Showa onboard. Actually, Brayton gets the same level of suspension as HRC with their good grace while Davi's bike actually had A-Kit.

Man, you're in depth knowledge and willingness to share it with us, is hands down one of the coolest parts of this site. Thanks a bunch.

|

3/11/2018 12:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2018 12:54 PM

Dogger won a premiere class main on a bike he bought days earlier with
A few PC mods.

That was probably the stockest bike.

|

3/11/2018 1:26 PM

Construction wrote:

Davi millsaps Suzuki

ML512 wrote:

rohleder644 wrote:

Man, you're in depth knowledge and willingness to share it with us, is hands down one of the coolest parts of this site. Thanks a bunch.

Michael's knowledge is mind blowing. When I talk to him and the conversation veers anywhere near bikes, I find my eyes glazing over and my head simply nodding like I have a clue, but inside my brain is wondering is I can borrow 5% of his knowledge.

|

3/11/2018 1:27 PM

mmcmx wrote:

Did Chad win some in '11 before getting factory suport?

He did, on the Team 22 bike with Pro-Circuit motor. Then switched to Team Honda mid SX season.

|

3/11/2018 2:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/11/2018 2:02 PM

Didn't Hannah ride and give away a production bike back in a 78 or 79 SX?

Brayton, what a ride!

|

3/11/2018 2:15 PM

Asimo wrote:

Dogger won a premiere class main on a bike he bought days earlier with
A few PC mods.

That was probably the stockest bike.

I think they just changed the tires and grips, auctioned after the race too. Smoked him

|

3/11/2018 2:31 PM

Premixed112 wrote:

I just looked up what exactly Mike Genova does and there was a racer x interview where he stated that he owns a business that manufactures aftermarket products for the hot tub industry. Now, I'll fully admit that I'm ignorant on the costs and profits of running a business, but I'm amazed that a business like that makes enough money to afford Mike the apparently huge sums it takes to fund this race team and make what, I would guess, is a comfortable living for Mike at the same time.

Global marketing..........quite a few people with hot tubs on this planet......Might just stagger you what he makes, either way...

|