MotoWeather - Thunder Valley - Rd3 of 2012 MX

Edited Date/Time 6/2/2012 1:30pm
Preliminary outlook for this weekends race at Thunder Valley in Golden Colorado.

Temps are looking similar to what was experienced this past weekend at Freestone. Highs should be in the upper 80s to near 90. The biggest difference will be the humidity. With dew points in the 30s that basically means that the air will be very dry so it should feel a lot better than Freestone.

Right now rain chances look like zip which is good.

Stay tuned for updates throughout the week.
|
5/30/2012 3:50am
Wednesday Update...

Things are still looking good. The weather models are hinting at a slight chance of an afternoon thunderstorm on Friday and Saturday with emphasis on the word slight.

Right now I'm calling for highs in the upper 80s with low humidity with only a 10-20% chance of a thunderstorm.
mtl
5/30/2012 4:26am
How about some predictions and interpretations for Steel City Fri/Sat/Sun this weekend. LL regional going on and according to weather.com Friday is going to be a muddah.

Whats your professional opinion?
5/30/2012 4:43am
mtl wrote:
How about some predictions and interpretations for Steel City Fri/Sat/Sun this weekend. LL regional going on and according to weather.com Friday is going to be a...
How about some predictions and interpretations for Steel City Fri/Sat/Sun this weekend. LL regional going on and according to weather.com Friday is going to be a muddah.

Whats your professional opinion?
Much more complicated forecast for Steel City.

A front will be rolling through the area on Friday and with it a line of showers and thunderstorms. At this point I'm thinking the earlier Moto's will be the best conditions on Friday. Behind this front things will cool down into the 60s but the clouds are going to hang tough on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday looks like a mostly dry day rain wise. Any rain that does fall should be scattered and light. Another weak weather system tries to roll through on Sunday but again the rain amounts look to be light.

So I would come prepared for the worst but I wouldn't call it wash out. To me the biggest weather issue will be the rain with the front on Friday. Exact timing of that front will determine who gets the good motos and who gets the mud. Right now the timing looks to be after lunch but that could change as we are still 48 hours away.

The Shop

mtl
5/30/2012 4:48am
Much more complicated forecast for Steel City. A front will be rolling through the area on Friday and with it a line of showers and thunderstorms...
Much more complicated forecast for Steel City.

A front will be rolling through the area on Friday and with it a line of showers and thunderstorms. At this point I'm thinking the earlier Moto's will be the best conditions on Friday. Behind this front things will cool down into the 60s but the clouds are going to hang tough on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday looks like a mostly dry day rain wise. Any rain that does fall should be scattered and light. Another weak weather system tries to roll through on Sunday but again the rain amounts look to be light.

So I would come prepared for the worst but I wouldn't call it wash out. To me the biggest weather issue will be the rain with the front on Friday. Exact timing of that front will determine who gets the good motos and who gets the mud. Right now the timing looks to be after lunch but that could change as we are still 48 hours away.
Thanks, Friday is a practice day.

So it sucks that it will rain on the day I'm trying to get to know the track.

Any indications on the amount of rainfall?

If you could update on thursday AM that would be great.

Thanks again.
5/30/2012 5:00am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2012 5:02am
mtl wrote:
Thanks, Friday is a practice day. So it sucks that it will rain on the day I'm trying to get to know the track. Any indications...
Thanks, Friday is a practice day.

So it sucks that it will rain on the day I'm trying to get to know the track.

Any indications on the amount of rainfall?

If you could update on thursday AM that would be great.

Thanks again.
5/31/2012 11:25am
Thursday update...

Everything looks on track. Highs should be in the upper 80s. Only change I will make is to bump up the rain chance just a tad to about 30%. The rain (if it even happens) would be in the form of an afternoon thunderstorm popping up in the heating of the day. So you know how those go. It's hit or miss and most of the time a miss.
dkg
5/31/2012 1:24pm
Enjoy the weather reports! Thanks for all your efforts. Any chance of you doing it and looking like this?

Seriously thanks for the fine work!
6/1/2012 8:12pm
dkg wrote:
Enjoy the weather reports! Thanks for all your efforts. Any chance of you doing it and looking like this? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/05/31/imagesCALI2X40_834563.jpg[/img] Seriously thanks for the fine work...
Enjoy the weather reports! Thanks for all your efforts. Any chance of you doing it and looking like this?

Seriously thanks for the fine work!
Thanks!

No changes necessary. Highs in the upper 80s with a 30% chance of an afternoon thunderstorm. Enjoy!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/2/2012 6:46am
Preliminary outlook for this weekends race at Thunder Valley in Golden Colorado. Temps are looking similar to what was experienced this past weekend at Freestone. Highs...
Preliminary outlook for this weekends race at Thunder Valley in Golden Colorado.

Temps are looking similar to what was experienced this past weekend at Freestone. Highs should be in the upper 80s to near 90. The biggest difference will be the humidity. With dew points in the 30s that basically means that the air will be very dry so it should feel a lot better than Freestone.

Temps might be similar on paper, but it's nowhere near as oppressive here as in Texas. Humidity is near zero...or at least feels that way. It's also a lot cooler overnight.

The chance of an afternoon thunderstorm will be something to watch for.
6/2/2012 9:33am
Preliminary outlook for this weekends race at Thunder Valley in Golden Colorado. Temps are looking similar to what was experienced this past weekend at Freestone. Highs...

GuyB wrote:
Temps might be similar on paper, but it's nowhere near as oppressive here as in Texas. Humidity is near zero...or at least feels that way. It's...
Temps might be similar on paper, but it's nowhere near as oppressive here as in Texas. Humidity is near zero...or at least feels that way. It's also a lot cooler overnight.

The chance of an afternoon thunderstorm will be something to watch for.
Thanks for confirming my expectations that the lower humidity would make a big difference despite temps in the 80s.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/2/2012 10:34am
Looks like rain/lightning coming soon. It's cooling off in a hurry.
6/2/2012 11:15am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2012 11:16am
GuyB wrote:
The storms are firing up in the mountains and them moving east towards Denver. Right now most of them are dying as they get out of the mountains but Thunder Valley is right next to the range so it won't take much for one to make it to the track.
Jbushaw32
6/2/2012 11:20am
i asked on another thread but no one really answered but what happens if there is a big lightening storm? do they call the race early or just keep running as is?
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
6/2/2012 11:30am
Jbushaw32 wrote:
i asked on another thread but no one really answered but what happens if there is a big lightening storm? do they call the race early...
i asked on another thread but no one really answered but what happens if there is a big lightening storm? do they call the race early or just keep running as is?
They called a race early a year or two ago due to the threat of lightning (no relation to Bob Hurricane Hannah).
Graphite
6/2/2012 11:54am
buddy of mine there said it dropped 30 degrees in an hour....everyone is on the cusp of wearing jackets now
6/2/2012 12:05pm
There is a massive storm that has just formed south of the track. The general movement is to the east so hopefully that one will miss. It's a very large storm at that.
6/2/2012 12:48pm
Looks like the big storm stayed south. There is another one forming to the WNW. Gonna keep an eye on that one.
6/2/2012 1:19pm
Thunder Valley is located at "TV" on the radar screen. The rain is moving west to east.
6/2/2012 1:20pm
Thunder Valley is located at "TV" on the radar screen. The rain is moving west to east.

6/2/2012 1:27pm
GuyB wrote:
how will this delay effect the LIVE 2nd moto on NBC Sports at 5:00 EST?
jtomasik
6/2/2012 1:30pm
A little hint for you out of state folk....weather in Colorado changes by the hour. Heck, 8" of snow today wouldn't have surprised me.

Post a reply to: MotoWeather - Thunder Valley - Rd3 of 2012 MX

The Latest