Moto van questions

chapmanmx
11/2/2012 8:06am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2012 12:36am
I am currently looking for a vehicle, and I have looked into pretty much everything out there. I had it narrowed down to a Toyota Tundra or a van, but I feel like a van would make more sense for me if I could get the right one for the right price. I really like the Chevy Express vans, especially the extended 2500, but I don't know much about the differences in all the vans in this category. I am looking for a used van with absolutely no more than 100,000 miles and maybe a 2006 or higher. I also want to by on that is pretty much stock, so that I can strip the inside and set it up how I want it. I have looked through a few of the threads on Vital but they are mostly about set up...

As for my questions, I already know about how I want to set it up, but I'm not sure exactly what kind of van would be the best for moto/everyday driving. I think a diesel would be best because of gas mileage, right?...Would it be worth getting the extended Chevy? I have heard bad things about the ford van transmissions so I definitely don't want to get into that...I have also been unable to find much info about MPG on these vans, so any insight/opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
|
Zaugg
11/2/2012 8:21am
It all depends if this is a second vehicle or a primary driver. If it's a secondary vehicle, a van is definitely the correct choice. Just understand the same rules apply when looking at vans as any utility vehicle. Most people who drove them before you, probably didn't own them and drove them into the ground because, well....it wasn't their vehicle.

Things to consider:

Sprinter: Depending on the model, you can get them for around $13-17000 with a diesel. Great head room, easy to drive, but expensive up-keep.

Ford Econoline 250-350: You should be able to find this with an extended cargo area and a 7.3 diesel. (I'd stay away from the newer for Diesels.) Lacking head room but set up nicely to convert to a moto-van.

Chevy: I haven't seen a GM van with a diesel but that doesn't mean they didn't make one. I think they're pretty rare though. Long wheel base on the extended cargo makes it stable but harder to park and maneuver.

Honestly....look for a box van. Tons of room, and if it's not your primary vehicle, you park it or store it with all your gear inside. You could probably pick up a used budget or ryder for a good deal.

There you go!!!

The Shop

chapmanmx
11/2/2012 8:46am
Thanks for the info! The problem is that it would be a primary vehicle, I can't afford two vehicles at the moment. The reason I feel like a van would make sense, is because I ride/race almost every weekend, and most of the time it's at tracks that are more than a couple of hours away...

My younger brother and I travel to the races together, and it would save a lot of money to be able to sleep in a van instead of a hotel. Our parents do own a motor home that we can use and do use sometimes, but it's tough when you're getting 5-6 miles per gallon and traveling long distances (or any distance, for that matter). Plus I try to always take care of things on my own rather than use other people's resources.

I think you're right, Zaugg, a box van would make the most sense. Plus I would prob be getting close to the same gas mileage out of a van as I would be getting out of a full-size truck. Decisions decisions...
reded
11/2/2012 9:10am
Get the Chevy van. Even though GM is cheap with the interior plastic the drivetrain will last forever with proper maintenance. If you honestly ride and race that much then the van is a no brainer as the versatility and storage configurations are endless. Just be sure to get a good alarm system in case some jagoff feels compelled to help himself to all of your stuff.
Zaugg
11/2/2012 9:17am Edited Date/Time 11/2/2012 9:21am
If it's your primary....a van is the way to go.

An extended gas or diesel from Ford or GM will be pretty good as a daily driver. (I actually drove the Ford extended for a summer and it was fine.) It was gas but it did well because I wasn't towing anything.

A box van might prove to be cumbersome as a daily driver.

Good luck in your search.
11/2/2012 10:26am
I've been through the same dilemma earlier this year. I ended up with a Chevy extended. The 3500 is available with a diesel engine. Their gas engines are pretty good also. Fuel consumption is similar to that of a pick up and they drive like one. The wheelbase is actually 2 inches shorter than that of an F-150 crewcab with a 6ft bed.

I am building one with a partition wall and a bench seat. This way I get the advantages of a crewcab truck with room in the back for all my moto stuff. It's gonna have room for 3 bikes, 54 gal of water with pressure washer, air compressor, tools and gear for 3 people. I tow a small camper trailer behind, but if you take out the bikes and pressure washer and you have enough room to inflate an air mattress.

I kept my car for daily driving but not because of the size of the van, only because of the harsh canadian winters. If they made extended vans with all wheel drive, I'd sell my car in a heartbeat.

One more piece of advice: if you're going with a GM, avoid passenger vans. The bench seats are attached to rails that are bolted through the floor from underneath. Those rails are a pain to take off. You'll be better off going cargo and adding a bench seat.

I am documenting my build, if you ever need some inspiration.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/986602-the-crewcab-motovan/

There's also a bunch of other projects on ThumperTalk that turned out really nice.
jleews6
11/2/2012 10:28am
I just bought a GMC 3500 van last night for my son and I to race out of. Im a Ford guy and have allot of Mustang's but when it comes to vans I would buy a Chevy or a GMC. My friend had an extended Ford with a 5.4 in it and it was a dog. When he pulled a trailer he had to keep the OD off because it wouldn't pull in OD and it kept shifting up and down constantly. My Chevy pulls a car trailer with a Mustang in it like nothing.
I don't like driving a truck so I use the van most of the time and after you install a nice stereo and insulate it it they are nice to drive.
PaleBlue
11/2/2012 10:38am
Get the sprinter. Expensive, but the only real problem with them here is rust , though if you don't put salt on your roads in winter, that'll not be a worry to you. If you look after the van it'll easily do well over 200k miles. V. roomy and FAST too (100mph all day long).
whyZ
11/2/2012 10:42am
My vote would be, buy the Tundra then go buy a single axle trailer and pimp it out. Why pay for the extra fuel to to transport all your gear everywhere you go on your daily schedule. Loading and unloading all your stuff everyweekend would get old fast. Keep it all in the trailer hook it up and roll. Less likley you'd forget something as well.
Team Ideal
11/2/2012 10:48am
we have a 2006 Chevy 3500 extended. has the 4.8 liter and we get an average of 15.8 mpg. 14 worst ever and 18 best ever. we have 280K on ours and I would leave for CA tomorrow and not think twice about. put the wall so there is about 4 feet behind rear seats build a pull out seat/bed, build a small cabinet in between front seat to put in a small microwave and then you can actually sleep 3 with someone across the cabinet. drop a extension cord thru floor and run to the back along the frame for a small generator to power electric heat and or microwave. pretty much sums ours up
RM127
11/2/2012 10:57am
Sprinter vans r the best there is! I haven seen them used anywhere between $10k-$20k.
11/2/2012 10:58am
whyZ wrote:
My vote would be, buy the Tundra then go buy a single axle trailer and pimp it out. Why pay for the extra fuel to to...
My vote would be, buy the Tundra then go buy a single axle trailer and pimp it out. Why pay for the extra fuel to to transport all your gear everywhere you go on your daily schedule. Loading and unloading all your stuff everyweekend would get old fast. Keep it all in the trailer hook it up and roll. Less likley you'd forget something as well.
A van won't be more thirsty than a truck. The truck will actually burn more fuel with the trailer than a van not towing. With a properly made partition wall, you can leave all your stuff in the back of the van all week and keep the front section clean. That's the beauty of the van, leave it all there, no one can see it.
whyZ
11/2/2012 11:42am
whyZ wrote:
My vote would be, buy the Tundra then go buy a single axle trailer and pimp it out. Why pay for the extra fuel to to...
Sheriff245 wrote:
A van won't be more thirsty than a truck. The truck will actually burn more fuel with the trailer than a van not towing. With a...
A van won't be more thirsty than a truck. The truck will actually burn more fuel with the trailer than a van not towing. With a properly made partition wall, you can leave all your stuff in the back of the van all week and keep the front section clean. That's the beauty of the van, leave it all there, no one can see it.
I don't know about that, but then again I don't know anything about the daily dynamics of your life. Personaly I wouldn't want to drive around town all day with all my gear. Besides you and your brother should keep the back of the shaggin wagon clear for nail'n broads, not gear.
11/2/2012 11:55am
whyZ wrote:
I don't know about that, but then again I don't know anything about the daily dynamics of your life. Personaly I wouldn't want to drive around...
I don't know about that, but then again I don't know anything about the daily dynamics of your life. Personaly I wouldn't want to drive around town all day with all my gear. Besides you and your brother should keep the back of the shaggin wagon clear for nail'n broads, not gear.
I don't see your point. A van doesn't need any more or less unloading done then a trailer. With a roof vent and a well insulated partition wall, it won't bother you while you drive to work. And I still have plenty of room in my house for broad nailin. How many times have you had sex in the bed of your truck?
TerryK
11/2/2012 12:07pm
If you are traveling and racing, a van is the only way to go. Partition wall behind the seats, blacked out rear windows and no moto stickers and thieves will pretty much leave it alone.
11/2/2012 12:30pm
They seem like Transit Connect-sized vehicles, maybe a little larger. They claim 7 feet of cargo length in the back. They do have a full size van though.
motosmith
11/2/2012 12:34pm
If money is no object, go for the Sprinter.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
11/2/2012 12:38pm Edited Date/Time 11/2/2012 12:39pm
TerryK wrote:
If you are traveling and racing, a van is the only way to go. Partition wall behind the seats, blacked out rear windows and no moto...
If you are traveling and racing, a van is the only way to go. Partition wall behind the seats, blacked out rear windows and no moto stickers and thieves will pretty much leave it alone.
X10......... and 18 mpg not bad for a V8

11/2/2012 1:21pm
A full size bike is about 7 feet in length. I guess you could put 2 bikes, tools and gear in there with seating for 2. 3 bikes with all the gear and stuff would be a tight fit.

Seems like a nice little car. I don't think they'll import the diesel engine, though that would be very nice.
PaleBlue
11/2/2012 1:29pm
Sheriff245 wrote:
A full size bike is about 7 feet in length. I guess you could put 2 bikes, tools and gear in there with seating for 2...
A full size bike is about 7 feet in length. I guess you could put 2 bikes, tools and gear in there with seating for 2. 3 bikes with all the gear and stuff would be a tight fit.

Seems like a nice little car. I don't think they'll import the diesel engine, though that would be very nice.
To the best of my knowlege, nobody in Europe makes a petrol powered van. If it isn't diesel powered it simply won't sell.
11/2/2012 1:31pm
PaleBlue wrote:
To the best of my knowlege, nobody in Europe makes a petrol powered van. If it isn't diesel powered it simply won't sell.
Diesel engines aren't very popular amongst the car manufacturers in North America. I wouldn't be surprised if they put a gas engine in the NA version.
PaleBlue
11/2/2012 1:33pm
PaleBlue wrote:
Sheriff245 wrote:
Diesel engines aren't very popular amongst the car manufacturers in North America. I wouldn't be surprised if they put a gas engine in the NA version.
What engines are available in the U.S. Sprinters ?
MiSledder
11/2/2012 1:43pm
I have an ext GM van 3500, I built a wall and insulated it, theres no cargo van feel to it anymore, I leave everything in van all the time, except bike, Absolutely the cheapest easiest least effort way to go IMO, I've had it all too
Jakes Dad
11/2/2012 2:35pm
Ford Trans Connect diesel 45mpg Ford Trans Connect 2.5 gas 24mpg.
Diesel version has been available every where else but here for the last few years. I still can't understand what the hurdle is to getting these vehicles here along with half ton diesel trucks in the 30mpg range they are out there also.
11/2/2012 3:47pm
PaleBlue wrote:
Sheriff245 wrote:
PaleBlue wrote:
What engines are available in the U.S. Sprinters ?
Ask the same question again with every other car and truck model that's available on both sides of the pond. Maybe then you'll understand where I'm coming from and you won't try to start a useless argument that's totally irrelevant to the original question.
crf250pilot
11/2/2012 3:47pm Edited Date/Time 11/2/2012 3:48pm
Here's my short wheelbase Ford van. It's my daily driver and still fits 3 bikes. Works great, would suggest getting a diesel van for pulling any toyhaulers though. I tried to tow a 1/2 ton towable 23ft toyhauler and struggled with the 3/4 ton 5.4L

[CENTER][URL=http://www.use.com/Ford_Yama_hauler_77de8d533aebf0702e69?p=2][IMG]http
11/2/2012 3:55pm
Here's my short wheelbase Ford van. It's my daily driver and still fits 3 bikes. Works great, would suggest getting a diesel van for pulling any...
Here's my short wheelbase Ford van. It's my daily driver and still fits 3 bikes. Works great, would suggest getting a diesel van for pulling any toyhaulers though. I tried to tow a 1/2 ton towable 23ft toyhauler and struggled with the 3/4 ton 5.4L

[CENTER][URL=http://www.use.com/Ford_Yama_hauler_77de8d533aebf0702e69?p=2][IMG]http
2 strokes, a nice van and a pug. Living the good life I see!

Post a reply to: Moto van questions

The Latest