Moto superstitions, phobias & routines

Related:
Create New Tag

8/15/2018 7:27 AM

As we all know, Moto takes skills but you also need a lot of luck!
#1) Superstition: Was looking at a post on here & dude has the #13 on his bike. To me this is a bad luck number & I would never run it! There are 900+ other numbers I could choose other than to run this number on my bike. Perhaps its just me & I've never run that number so who knows how bad it could be?
#2) Routine: when I put my boots on in the morning before practice I always put my right boot on first (I'm right-handed btw).
#3) Phobia: I never look at the trophies during the day. I avoid looking at them & avert my eyes should they gaze their way. I will never go over & check them out closely although they are usually very shiny & cool looking & seem to draw me to them. The way I see it I'll have plenty of time to look at the trophy should I win one!
These are obviously only some of the things I do & truthfully none of them matter but I always follow this way of doing things when I'm at the races! Photo

|

8/15/2018 7:49 AM

I'm not superstitious but did have a routine. For some reason I always put things on the left side first. Left sock, right sock, left pant leg, right pant leg, left boot, right boot, etc. No idea why and I still do it to this day.

The 13 is awesome. It was my first number and I rocked it. Born on the 13 at 6:13pm and weighed 6lbs 13 oz.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

8/15/2018 7:54 AM

i have a phobia about my oil drain plug. I always fell like I over tightened it or didn't tighten it enough.

|

8/15/2018 7:56 AM

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.

|

8/15/2018 7:56 AM

fourfourone wrote:

i have a phobia about my oil drain plug. I always fell like I over tightened it or didn't tighten it enough.

Torque wrench?

|

8/15/2018 7:58 AM

I check my petcock at least 5 times before I ride. Also paranoid about the masterlink clip on my chain.

|

8/15/2018 8:06 AM

never wear gloves that match gear.

|

8/15/2018 8:15 AM

I never wear clean boots and i try to use dirty gloves also

|

8/15/2018 8:23 AM

fourfourone wrote:

kpersonius264 wrote:

Torque wrench?

I would but its tight near the drain bolt. I end up just using a small wrench.

|

8/15/2018 8:52 AM

fourfourone wrote:

Having the oil drain plug come out would be bad so double-checking that doesn't seem like that bad of an idea. I safety-wire mine on & have a skid plate on there so I could only do a visual check but no harm there. I remember checking my petcock to see if my gas was turned on with my old bikes when I was on the starting gate. But with the new bikes there is no petcock (I still reach down there anyway from time to time! lol)

|

8/15/2018 8:57 AM

Wore different color socks one day- crashed and broke my leg. Now I can't put on different color socks.
Even when I am putting socks on my kid I will look until I find a match. It's like my personal voodoo.

I'm also really careful with my helmet, and treat it like Gold. It just seems foolish to let it roll around on the ground

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

8/15/2018 9:10 AM

In the garage, I never use my bikes as a tool holder, beer holder, or set stuff on them. They must be respected or you will anger them and they will hurt you!

|

8/15/2018 9:20 AM

I once zip tied a small horseshoe to my frame. I also believe that a spotless, clean machine will make me faster. I wore the same lucky, torn up undearwear for every moto one season.

|

8/15/2018 9:38 AM

I check to make sure I closed my garage door at least twice in the middle of the night...

|

8/15/2018 10:15 AM

Superstition: never say to my friends "watch this" before hitting a big jump etc. It has a 99.9% possibility of you crashing your brains out in front of everybody.

|

8/15/2018 10:21 AM

Me being a heavy guy, i fear my stock wheels breaking on a landing

|

8/15/2018 10:33 AM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

Wore different color socks one day- crashed and broke my leg. Now I can't put on different color socks.
Even when I am putting socks on my kid I will look until I find a match. It's like my personal voodoo.

I'm also really careful with my helmet, and treat it like Gold. It just seems foolish to let it roll around on the ground

I had the opposite experience- one race in 1986 I only had 1 red sock and 1 blue sock.

Didn't think anything of it at the time I put them on, but went out and won both moto's with ease. Perfect day, everything went right.

Even though I have not raced in decades, to this day every time I ride (which is not often enough) I still wear 1 red sock and 1 blue sock.

|

8/15/2018 10:43 AM

Jimmy Jingles wrote:

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.

pmsl

|

8/15/2018 10:48 AM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

I have friends who will drag their new helmet through the dirt & scratch it before wearing it (Makes me cringe). But I guess that's another superstition? ack!

|

8/15/2018 11:18 AM

mtl wrote:

never wear gloves that match gear.

+1

Also when l was much younger l always had a rabbits foot hanging from my "leathers".

|

8/15/2018 12:14 PM

Only get on the bike from the right side.
unless I can't.....

|

8/15/2018 1:13 PM

artc wrote:

Only get on the bike from the right side.
unless I can't.....

I forgot about this one but I get on from the left only!

|

8/15/2018 1:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/15/2018 1:21 PM

I never say “just one more lap” or “ one more practice”. Ever.

Super Anal retarded about my gate prep. Same way every time. Hell im 31 and my dad and I still go to the gate when I race the exact same way we did since I was 8 and barely even talk. Tells me like one important thing and damn if it isn’t usually always correct. “Inside in the corner after the triple is slower, also looks like the just disced and watered so be aware”( example )

|

GP740
Since 1987

8/15/2018 1:35 PM

Left knee brace goes on first. Didn’t do it once and broke my wrist.

|

8/15/2018 1:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/15/2018 1:45 PM

My left boot ALWAYS goes on first. Once I put my right boot on first and then crashed my brains out in practice.

|

8/15/2018 1:55 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Super Anal retarded about my gate prep. Same way every time. Hell im 31 and my dad and I still go to the gate when I race the exact same way we did since I was 8 and barely even talk. Tells me like one important thing and damn if it isn’t usually always correct. “Inside in the corner after the triple is slower, also looks like the just disced and watered so be aware”( example )

I never say 'one more' anything! lol I have had so many friends utter those fateful words & end up crashing their brains out. If you say 'one more' it might only be one more forever!
I am also good about gate prep because it takes my mind off of things & I can relax a bit. I sometimes get the dry heaves before a race I get so nervous & I've been racing since the late '70's. Although nowadays you can only prep the area behind the gate. In the old days we would tamp down a nice trail 100' in front of our gates! lol

|

8/15/2018 2:36 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

I almost always follow this rule and paid dearly last Jan when l ignored the rule.

l will now never mock the rule again going forward. This rule means business.

|

8/15/2018 2:41 PM

YeddieVanHalen wrote:

As we all know, Moto takes skills but you also need a lot of luck!
#1) Superstition: Was looking at a post on here & dude has the #13 on his bike. To me this is a bad luck number & I would never run it! There are 900+ other numbers I could choose other than to run this number on my bike. Perhaps its just me & I've never run that number so who knows how bad it could be?
#2) Routine: when I put my boots on in the morning before practice I always put my right boot on first (I'm right-handed btw).
#3) Phobia: I never look at the trophies during the day. I avoid looking at them & avert my eyes should they gaze their way. I will never go over & check them out closely although they are usually very shiny & cool looking & seem to draw me to them. The way I see it I'll have plenty of time to look at the trophy should I win one!
These are obviously only some of the things I do & truthfully none of them matter but I always follow this way of doing things when I'm at the races! Photo

In some countries, such as Italy, 13 is considered a lucky number. The expression fare tredici ("to do 13") means hit the jackpot. 17 is considered an unlucky number instead.

As a kid I always wore the same shirt to the races as it was autographed by the man and thought it was good luck.As an adult I am more of the belief that most luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

|

8/15/2018 2:44 PM

I also never go out “one more time”. I always say “two more times” and just skip the second one.

|

8/15/2018 5:19 PM

If I drop my gloves while getting ready I have to change them.

The "just one more moto" thing is a death sentance.

|