Moto photography

rdawg427
Edited Date/Time 8/20/2020 12:40pm
Just looking for some suggestions on camera/lenses to take pictures with at the track.
|
Jaybird67k
3/24/2020 4:24pm
Depends on your budget obviously. I'm a Nikon guy so I can say a full frame if you can afford it with a 70-200 2.8 lens.
Then there is the whole mirrorless or mirrored debate.
I'm a big fill flash guy so that's another story.
I like to keep the spokes spinning in my shots with the bike and rider crisp and this obviously is different depending on if your shooting all lens or with flash.
Guy B can chime in here.

Jason
DR176
3/24/2020 4:33pm
I'm with Jaybird, it's an incredibly open ended question that heavily relies on what you're willing to spend and realistically what your goals are

The Shop

BS12
3/24/2020 7:25pm
I'm more video bias, and whilst I've dabbed my toes in the water a lot over the years with basic camcorder/photo stuff, and have always had a fair idea of the basics, I've recently gone deeper and am currently navigating a huge learning curve that feels like it continues to steepen (but is such a fulfilling process).

Video, photo, similar principles apply and its all based around what you're trying to achieve. Light is essentially the key to everything. Not enough light, the camera tries to compensate, grainy photos. Too much light can always be toned down with shutter speed, ISO, ND filters etc. So light is a good thing. The amount of light a camera sensor receives depends mostly on your lens' apeture rating (the lower the "f stop" number, the "better").

Long story short, a decent camera body (Canon, Nikon for example), full frame is the most popular, with a 70-200mm focal length lens to allow you to get tight enough shots of your subject from the obvious distances you'll be shooting at. I'm even considering a 28-300 at the moment. Given most cheap/mid range lenses have higher apeture numbers (in the f4-6 range) I am eyeing off a "speed booster" adapter that lowers the apeture rating by a full f stop, essentially helping bring more light in and allow me to more easily pursue those artsy "shallow depth of field" shots I'm forever trying to learn/navigate/perfect, without breaking the bank.

Clear as mud.
3/24/2020 7:39pm
rdawg427 wrote:
Anyone?
What is your budget? If you are open to Canon you can spend $1200 and have an amazing setup that will be about 90% of the latest and greatest $8000 setup.

You should be able to find these for $600 each:

1DmkIV
70-200 2.8 non IS

3/24/2020 7:48pm
BS12 wrote:
I'm more video bias, and whilst I've dabbed my toes in the water a lot over the years with basic camcorder/photo stuff, and have always had...
I'm more video bias, and whilst I've dabbed my toes in the water a lot over the years with basic camcorder/photo stuff, and have always had a fair idea of the basics, I've recently gone deeper and am currently navigating a huge learning curve that feels like it continues to steepen (but is such a fulfilling process).

Video, photo, similar principles apply and its all based around what you're trying to achieve. Light is essentially the key to everything. Not enough light, the camera tries to compensate, grainy photos. Too much light can always be toned down with shutter speed, ISO, ND filters etc. So light is a good thing. The amount of light a camera sensor receives depends mostly on your lens' apeture rating (the lower the "f stop" number, the "better").

Long story short, a decent camera body (Canon, Nikon for example), full frame is the most popular, with a 70-200mm focal length lens to allow you to get tight enough shots of your subject from the obvious distances you'll be shooting at. I'm even considering a 28-300 at the moment. Given most cheap/mid range lenses have higher apeture numbers (in the f4-6 range) I am eyeing off a "speed booster" adapter that lowers the apeture rating by a full f stop, essentially helping bring more light in and allow me to more easily pursue those artsy "shallow depth of field" shots I'm forever trying to learn/navigate/perfect, without breaking the bank.

Clear as mud.
Not sure what you are talking about with your adapter above but don't waste your time with cheap zooms or adapters. Good glass is key, way more important than the camera body. I could use an old 1DmkII ($300 used) with my fast glass and the photos would compete with my 1DXII setup in good light. On the other hand, put a cheap slow zoom lens on the 1DXII and you will not be coming home with the shallow depth of field shots you are searching for.

DR176
3/24/2020 8:35pm
BS12 wrote:
I'm more video bias, and whilst I've dabbed my toes in the water a lot over the years with basic camcorder/photo stuff, and have always had...

Clear as mud.
Not sure what you are talking about with your adapter above but don't waste your time with cheap zooms or adapters. Good glass is key, way...
Not sure what you are talking about with your adapter above but don't waste your time with cheap zooms or adapters. Good glass is key, way more important than the camera body. I could use an old 1DmkII ($300 used) with my fast glass and the photos would compete with my 1DXII setup in good light. On the other hand, put a cheap slow zoom lens on the 1DXII and you will not be coming home with the shallow depth of field shots you are searching for.

This is perfectly accurate and something that isn’t said enough in the age of battling for who has the highest megapixels. In photography especially, glass is king. I used to shoot on a 1D3 next to a 5d3 and the 1d even today would still be plenty good for most people. Dudes have been creating rad photos since the inception of DSLR’s by utilizing good glass.
rdawg427
3/24/2020 8:37pm
Yea I’m like at the 1000 and under range, and would be doing just for fun and I’m not opposed to buying used
wicksy85
Fantasy
1579th
3/24/2020 8:53pm
I got a Canon 7D MKii with a 70-200mm isii and I love that combo. Second hand you should get them well priced Im no professional that's for sure haha.
Here's a sample photo with it..
3/24/2020 9:06pm
rdawg427 wrote:
Yea I’m like at the 1000 and under range, and would be doing just for fun and I’m not opposed to buying used
I would save a little more and try to find the combo I mentioned above, or the Nikon equivalent. It's still a very relevant setup today aside the top of the line $8000 setups.

Don't let anyone else talk you into buying some superzoom 35-500mm lens...they look great on paper but they're all junk.
FWYT
3/24/2020 9:22pm
rdawg427 wrote:
Would be redundant to add to what the others have said.
But I'll say that getting a clean background and isolating your subject will
be your challenges.

And make it easy on yourself- shoot when the sun is low. Mid-day light is such garbage
FWYT
3/24/2020 9:23pm
Didn't Buckley have a Q&A thread around here somewhere?
rdawg427
3/24/2020 9:38pm
rdawg427 wrote:
I would save a little more and try to find the combo I mentioned above, or the Nikon equivalent. It's still a very relevant setup today...
I would save a little more and try to find the combo I mentioned above, or the Nikon equivalent. It's still a very relevant setup today aside the top of the line $8000 setups.

Don't let anyone else talk you into buying some superzoom 35-500mm lens...they look great on paper but they're all junk.
Alright thanks my man, I’ll check around. Do you know what the Nikon equivalent is to that setup?
rdawg427
3/24/2020 9:39pm
rdawg427 wrote:
FWYT wrote:
Would be redundant to add to what the others have said. But I'll say that getting a clean background and isolating your subject will be your...
Would be redundant to add to what the others have said.
But I'll say that getting a clean background and isolating your subject will
be your challenges.

And make it easy on yourself- shoot when the sun is low. Mid-day light is such garbage
Thank you, I’ll make sure to keep that in mind for the future
3/24/2020 9:45pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2020 9:45pm
rdawg427 wrote:
I would save a little more and try to find the combo I mentioned above, or the Nikon equivalent. It's still a very relevant setup today...

rdawg427 wrote:
Alright thanks my man, I’ll check around. Do you know what the Nikon equivalent is to that setup?
I don't, but maybe a Nikon guy can chime in. I will say Canon always owned the sports market until recently, but the differences are just splitting hairs now. I'm not sure if you will get any better bang for the buck than what I mentioned above. You would have a really good setup while learning and your gear won't be limiting you in any way.

If you end up getting the Canon setup PM me and I'll help you out with settings.
rdawg427
3/24/2020 9:53pm

rdawg427 wrote:
I don't, but maybe a Nikon guy can chime in. I will say Canon always owned the sports market until recently, but the differences are just...
I don't, but maybe a Nikon guy can chime in. I will say Canon always owned the sports market until recently, but the differences are just splitting hairs now. I'm not sure if you will get any better bang for the buck than what I mentioned above. You would have a really good setup while learning and your gear won't be limiting you in any way.

If you end up getting the Canon setup PM me and I'll help you out with settings.
Will do!
BS12
3/24/2020 10:27pm
Bomber,

I'm using a Panasonic GH5 for its video capabilities/price point (4k 60p) which has a smaller, micro four thirds crop sensor system (again my focus is video). Whilst I can get native lenses (to some degree), the cost is immense and availability somewhat scarce. These adapters allow me to use Canon EF lenses on my set up, whilst also giving a full F stop of extra aperture, theoretically meaning, for example, I can use a Canon 70-200 2.8 at effectively f1.8, whilst still maintaining all auto focus and image stability.

See link:
https://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-m43-BT3

Again, steep learning curve here, hence my response. Any feedback on this potential set up is appreciated!

3/25/2020 10:42am
BS12 wrote:
Bomber, I'm using a Panasonic GH5 for its video capabilities/price point (4k 60p) which has a smaller, micro four thirds crop sensor system (again my focus...
Bomber,

I'm using a Panasonic GH5 for its video capabilities/price point (4k 60p) which has a smaller, micro four thirds crop sensor system (again my focus is video). Whilst I can get native lenses (to some degree), the cost is immense and availability somewhat scarce. These adapters allow me to use Canon EF lenses on my set up, whilst also giving a full F stop of extra aperture, theoretically meaning, for example, I can use a Canon 70-200 2.8 at effectively f1.8, whilst still maintaining all auto focus and image stability.

See link:
https://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-m43-BT3

Again, steep learning curve here, hence my response. Any feedback on this potential set up is appreciated!

Metabones is very popular in the video scene for adapting Canon lenses to Sony and Panny like you are, so yeah those are fine. I thought you were referring to using extenders or adapters for still photography on their native brands.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
3/25/2020 11:15am
The lens is more important than the camera itself. I took these with a canon rebel t3i (very inexpensive) but with a 70-200 f2.8 (on the expensive side)

and I just had a normal 55-250mm lens for this one (not the expensive lens everyone buys, probably around $400)

The most important thing about shooting moto is learning how to shoot with the sun, not into it (bad shadows), eliminating cluttered backgrounds and learning how to get crisp shots with the ISO and shutter speed. These are all things I learned through talking to other photographers at the track and eventually figured out (to an extent).
rdawg427
4/27/2020 2:07pm
Just received my 1D mkIV bought for 650 with 55,000 actuations just waiting to purchase a lens
CeeTee
4/29/2020 1:36am
rdawg427 wrote:
Just looking for some suggestions on camera/lenses to take pictures with at the track.
TBH, assuming you're new to photography, my advice would be to learn how to compose a shot.

90% of the work comes from learning about what makes a great photograph, the gear is mostly irrelevant unless you want to do it as a job.

Go on youtube and learn about the "rule of thirds" and I'm sure youtube will take it from there.
rdawg427
4/29/2020 8:53am
rdawg427 wrote:
CeeTee wrote:
TBH, assuming you're new to photography, my advice would be to learn how to compose a shot. 90% of the work comes from learning about what...
TBH, assuming you're new to photography, my advice would be to learn how to compose a shot.

90% of the work comes from learning about what makes a great photograph, the gear is mostly irrelevant unless you want to do it as a job.

Go on youtube and learn about the "rule of thirds" and I'm sure youtube will take it from there.
Thanks, and yea I’ve been reading around other forums like the Buckley one and some other stuff. Going to take a lot of practice.
4/29/2020 9:36am
Getting the right tools will ensure your gear is not limiting you if your photos suck. Learning how to edit is just as important as learning how to compose so start watching Lightroom tutorials after you watch all the photography 101 tutorials.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
4/29/2020 10:44am
I just made the move to Sony (Got an A7R III) from Canon last week. I have a Canon 7d and Tamron 70-200 f2.8 for sale if anyone here is interested in it. Last time I used it was for the MXdN at Red Bud in 2018, and who knows when I used it prior to that.
MotoSavage
4/29/2020 1:27pm
T-Fish wrote:
I just made the move to Sony (Got an A7R III) from Canon last week. I have a Canon 7d and Tamron 70-200 f2.8 for sale...
I just made the move to Sony (Got an A7R III) from Canon last week. I have a Canon 7d and Tamron 70-200 f2.8 for sale if anyone here is interested in it. Last time I used it was for the MXdN at Red Bud in 2018, and who knows when I used it prior to that.
How much for the lens?
Leedle
4/29/2020 5:33pm
Depends on your experience level and budget. You can get really good gear, but without experience you're not going to get good shots. Everybody else pretty much gave you good advice already. You've got to get out and practice consistently. Depending on the track or venue you may run into issues with where on the track you can photograph. I'd make sure the track you'd be going to allows photography at all, some don't. Photography is about how much work you want to put into it.

I use a cheap Canon Rebel XS and a 70-300 f4-5.6. I really like this picture, but with proper technique and practice it would be way better.

rdawg427
6/8/2020 4:12pm

rdawg427 wrote:
I don't, but maybe a Nikon guy can chime in. I will say Canon always owned the sports market until recently, but the differences are just...

Hey I just got everything, you mind helping me out a little with the settings. If done a few based on the Buckley forum.

Post a reply to: Moto photography

The Latest