Moto on the green

Rick M.
Edited Date/Time 3/21/2015 11:37pm
I went riding last weekend with a few young bucks. About half way through our 2 hour drive, the guy in the back seat starts shuffling shit around unzipping shit. I look to the back seat, and he's pulling out weed. He offered a hit to myself and the other guy, we both declined. The guy, then continued on to smoke for 15 minutes or so. Dude says he always smokes before he rides. The dude was damn fast!! Maybe I need to smoke before I ride haha

Anyone else ride high, or have done it in the past and then rode? Still a little in shock hahaha
|
Pat
3/19/2015 7:54pm
Sounds like a stupid idea. Good on you for declining!
JM485
3/19/2015 8:04pm
I don't personally, but damn near everyone I know rides high. I don't smoke so I don't really have personal experience with how it effects you, but it seems like it just calms them down and let's them relax as they ride. I don't think it posses a safety risk really, but I'm sure like anything else it has different effects in different people.

The Shop

zehn
3/19/2015 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2015 8:29pm
I'd rather ride with a guy who took a couple tokes than a guy who pounded down a six pack.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
3/19/2015 8:35pm
Here in the south, lots of very fast guys smoke and ride. If the stuff mellows there mind then i see it helping. Just a shame that it is illegal
3/19/2015 8:38pm
I have friends that do. I prefer to ride with 100% of my reflexes. Not knocking the Mary scary but that's just my opinion.
Ebs
3/19/2015 8:40pm
Seems counterproductive, why would you want to calm down and mellow out before slaying some dirt dragons.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
3/19/2015 8:44pm
Ebs wrote:
Seems counterproductive, why would you want to calm down and mellow out before slaying some dirt dragons.
When i used to smoke and ride, it would help keep me calm witch lead to being quicker at making smarter decisions and faster lap tmes.
3/19/2015 8:45pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2015 8:49pm
Don't smoke, I prefer normality. The people who I know who do are real slow. But they say the feel like they're hauling ass when baked, even though they're still slow. Just out of curiosity, what kind of a jackass brings weed with him while traveling in someone else's vehicle and then proceeds to toke up risking arrest for himself, the owner of the vehicle and everyone else. I would have thrown him and his weed ( maybe his bike too) out onto the side of the road.
Rick M.
3/19/2015 9:13pm
Don't smoke, I prefer normality. The people who I know who do are real slow. But they say the feel like they're hauling ass when baked...
Don't smoke, I prefer normality. The people who I know who do are real slow. But they say the feel like they're hauling ass when baked, even though they're still slow. Just out of curiosity, what kind of a jackass brings weed with him while traveling in someone else's vehicle and then proceeds to toke up risking arrest for himself, the owner of the vehicle and everyone else. I would have thrown him and his weed ( maybe his bike too) out onto the side of the road.
Believe me all that crossed my mind. These dudes are from WA, so I suppose that makes them a little lax on the whole deal. But he did ask if he could light up, I was kind of taking off guard by the whole deal so i said "uhggh sure". I have pry made smarter decisions, and pry have rode with smarter dudes hahaha
Ashleymx
3/19/2015 9:19pm
I know how it affects you and if I got taken out, injured or worse by a rider that was high I'd be extremely pissed off. It's a dangerous sport. You need to have 100% of your mind with you when you ride or race. Not high. I have seen two extremely bad things on a track in the past related to this btw.

To me motocross is purely an athletic endeavor. Smoking pot is the opposite to what an athlete would/should do anyway so I just don't get why anyone would in the first place. Adrenalin not enough? Maybe they do it to reduce the fear and nerves but thats your body/minds natural don't kill myself mechanism. Yep dull that off a bit ?? Not smart.
mxfiend
3/19/2015 9:32pm
Do u have a joint? No? Youd be alot cooler if you did.

Alright alright alright
Old-Man
3/19/2015 9:42pm
The Machine Lechien
Roncada
Old-Man
3/19/2015 9:45pm
Why is it when I ride wasted everyone rides the track backwards? Whistling
jeffro503
3/19/2015 9:52pm
I don't smoke it ( I can't....makes even dumberer Smile ) BUT....I have plenty of good buds that do.....and I don't have anything against it. One thing " Non-smokers " don't understand.....is it affects everyone differently. Just because you turn into a vegitable does not mean your buddy does as well.

I have one of my very best friends that smokes it time to time. And I swear to god.....if he doesn't smoke....I'll run with him. If he does smoke some.......crap!....he just walks away from me out there!

Weed aint the devils lettuce any more man. People in this day and age have figured it out. Instead of putting a bunch of pharmaceuticals down your throat.....weed would be considered a healthy alternative.

If you feel you need it to ride.......more power to you.
jeffro503
3/19/2015 9:54pm
Old-Man wrote:
Why is it when I ride wasted everyone rides the track backwards? Whistling
Oh man dude.....you don't even know how what you just wrote put me back in my seat. You would think I would be totally against weed and riding , for what happened to me for that exact reason you just posted.
jeffro503
3/19/2015 9:59pm
Ebs wrote:
I think you would be really surprised how many guys you've seen race over the years on TV......that smoked it before every race as well. When you get all amped up.....that is when the mistakes happen! Think about it. If it calms you , settles your mind into making correct and decisive decisions........why wouldn't you? Dudes with problems sometimes turn to pills instead............seriously , what is the difference?
Starcrossed
3/19/2015 10:08pm
The only issue that I would have is the lighting up in a vehicle that I was responsible for, but since he asked, and you allowed it, then it's all good. Just have them keep their stuff in their gear bag and not in your console or under your seat. It's harmless in my opinion until the law gets involved, and then it's often not illegal, depending on what state you are in. Nice of you to accommodate your stoner buddies.
3/19/2015 10:15pm
There are many elite football players, MMA fighters, body builders, snowboarders, skiers, and motocross riders who firmly believe that cannabis acts as a PED by allowing them to easier reach a certain "flow state."

KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/19/2015 10:21pm
I grew up riding and racing in the 70's so getting high was a big part of most everyone I knew back then.
Smoking and play riding was a something I would say around half of my MX buddies partook in, including myself. Race day was different as we would wait until motos were over before toasting one up. But when we were out in the hills or in the desert during the week we were stoned most of the time. Weed back then was very mild, smoking a joint was like having a half of a beer. Would never drink and ride and neither did anyone I hung out with.

I would probably not be too far off in saying that some extremely fast National caliber pros were toasting them up on a pretty consistent basis back in the 70's but on race day I think most were pretty straight. The nice thing about the herb is that Saturday night smoke fest has zero effect on you Sunday morning. Now this shit they are smoking nowadays is another story! This super weed they r producing will make you see elephants in the bathtub. I had to give it up years ago but there are a awful lot of 50-60 year olds that smoke regularly. I work for some very successful business people living in very nice beachfront homes that have a joint instead of a drink after a hard day at the office. It's a guess, but I would say 60-70% of our customers (we do high end home remodeling in San Diego area) are over 55 and are regular stoners
Rizzo
3/19/2015 11:40pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2015 11:43pm
Rick M. wrote:
I went riding last weekend with a few young bucks. About half way through our 2 hour drive, the guy in the back seat starts shuffling...
I went riding last weekend with a few young bucks. About half way through our 2 hour drive, the guy in the back seat starts shuffling shit around unzipping shit. I look to the back seat, and he's pulling out weed. He offered a hit to myself and the other guy, we both declined. The guy, then continued on to smoke for 15 minutes or so. Dude says he always smokes before he rides. The dude was damn fast!! Maybe I need to smoke before I ride haha

Anyone else ride high, or have done it in the past and then rode? Still a little in shock hahaha
I have a buddy, he was prob 37-38 and I was 29-30 and he was a PH. We would go to the track, he was tentative, wouldn't jump all the jumps, rode real stiff and would shut off in traffic. I was OK at the time, I could jump all the track, could get around traffic and was fairly aggressive. We would go out for the first 5-10 lap session and I'm gone, he is nowhere to be seen, I'm essentially lapping him in a handful of laps in practice session. We go back to the truck, get water, he hits a few puffs or whatever(i dont smoke anything) and we go back out. Not kidding, he his now on my ass, flowing off jumps and showing me a wheel in corners and not only that, instead of pulling off after 10 min, he's out for 20 min. Every time to the track, this would happen and I'm like WTF, did you just smoke some magic Moto shit. Could never bring myself to try it and ride Moto tho. Also, I clicked on this thinking it was MX'ers ripping up a golf course or something I'm out of the loop for sure. Hahaha
austin888_99
3/20/2015 12:20am
This is an interesting topic. I don't smoke and hate how it makes me feel. I have known a good number of ppl that smoke before they ride and I have never seen a problem with it. There are many studies on this issue about driving and you are allowed to operate a motor vehicle under the legal limit which is about a drink and 15-30 minutes of not drinking. Meaning you probably cant chug a drink on an empty stomach and instantly go drive. Anyways when you get into the drink versus smoke a few hits most studies claim the weed has much less of an affect on motor skills. As far as who smokes ppl from all walks of life smoke. Wealthy middle class and poor. The drug is not as much of a demon as many think and its not demonized by as many as some ppl think. An effective war on drugs policy and propaganda from before the war on drugs is often the reason for the amount of concern some have.
3/20/2015 12:35am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2015 12:37am
I've seen dudes smoke after, not before. Really don't wanna be on the track with a drunk or someone that is high....but.....i'm sure it happens all the time. Although, if they're high I'd imagine them to be way more over analytical and calculated in every move. Probably look like a proper Ryan Dungey.

And if they're drunk I'd imagine they would be all over the place narrowly killing everyone.
Fat Fingers
3/20/2015 12:54am
Wasn't there a rumor JLaw was smoking dope when podiumed at Daytona?
Vet57
3/20/2015 2:22am
Don't Bogart that joint...
Trav138
3/20/2015 2:41am
KennyT wrote:
I grew up riding and racing in the 70's so getting high was a big part of most everyone I knew back then. Smoking and play...
I grew up riding and racing in the 70's so getting high was a big part of most everyone I knew back then.
Smoking and play riding was a something I would say around half of my MX buddies partook in, including myself. Race day was different as we would wait until motos were over before toasting one up. But when we were out in the hills or in the desert during the week we were stoned most of the time. Weed back then was very mild, smoking a joint was like having a half of a beer. Would never drink and ride and neither did anyone I hung out with.

I would probably not be too far off in saying that some extremely fast National caliber pros were toasting them up on a pretty consistent basis back in the 70's but on race day I think most were pretty straight. The nice thing about the herb is that Saturday night smoke fest has zero effect on you Sunday morning. Now this shit they are smoking nowadays is another story! This super weed they r producing will make you see elephants in the bathtub. I had to give it up years ago but there are a awful lot of 50-60 year olds that smoke regularly. I work for some very successful business people living in very nice beachfront homes that have a joint instead of a drink after a hard day at the office. It's a guess, but I would say 60-70% of our customers (we do high end home remodeling in San Diego area) are over 55 and are regular stoners
No shit on the strength Kenny.
The stuff today isn't your grandma s weed. It is very strong(most of it) i smoke casually and i would not want to ride mx high. I ride stoned around my farm ha but i'm more less just fuckin aroumd. When i'm on mx track, i need 100% focus and prefer to smoke after if i even do.
I agree some of the stuff today is crazy strong and gets you to ripped to be on a mx track imo.
scooter5002
3/20/2015 5:06am
If I have 40 guys riding in my personal riding circle, at least 30 of them are 4:20. At least 10 of them are hard core Bake and Shake, as I call it. That is to say, they burn a gagger while they gear up, one after each moto, and naturally, the post ride wind down. (How the fuck did they get wound up?) I've only ever done it twice, and I don't care for it. Too paranoid, and worried about getting hurt, just ruined the ride. Perhaps if I smoked more, I'd get used to it. Problem is, riding gives the release I'm looking for, that other guys get out of drinking and smoking. Not going to waste my time in the saddle, with riding with my head in the clouds.
hvaughn88
3/20/2015 5:17am
I'm not gonna get into the reflexes/being calm argument, but why would you want to smoke anything before going out and doing the "most physically demanding sport on earth?" Seems like having fresh lungs would be more beneficial to me. Oh well.
moco
3/20/2015 5:51am
This is hilarious how every poster 'doesn't smoke', but 'knows somebody that does'.

Drawing a parallel between alcohol on the track vs cannabis is like comparing apples to bananas.

I recently read a stat that claimed 25% of car accidents are alcohol related. That means the other 75% are caused by assholes that drink coffee and eat yoghurt and the like.

For those of you not feeling safe being on the track with somebody that had a smoke, are you OK with somebody that has a massive hangover? Prozac? Other common pharmaceuticals that produce brain fog as a side effect? What about the guy who is pre occupied thinking about his one nite stand that turned out to be s tranny?

And for good measure - the lamest rebuttal of all time - how many elite pro races have you won on a good sativa?

Post a reply to: Moto on the green

The Latest