Moto is on the Decline?

PastranaWho
12/11/2016 1:16pm
People that ride/race is down, viewership and attendance is up.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
12/11/2016 1:32pm
Not sure about offroad, but for MX, my $.02 says declines are in large part due to tracks and unrealistic classes. I've always bought used bikes, still do even though I could afford new, so $ isn't the issue. But tracks that aren't do or die are the most popular (like the Vet track movement in CA), most tracks scare the hell out of a beginner. And forget about racing--the intermediates are as fast as the Pros, the Novice class isn't far off, which is a joke, and the beginner class is nowhere close to beginner anymore. Talked to a first time racer at Swan this summer, he was stunned how fast the beginner class was, and never returned. And he wasn't that slow, either.
12/11/2016 2:28pm
Graybeard wrote:
Not sure about offroad, but for MX, my $.02 says declines are in large part due to tracks and unrealistic classes. I've always bought used bikes...
Not sure about offroad, but for MX, my $.02 says declines are in large part due to tracks and unrealistic classes. I've always bought used bikes, still do even though I could afford new, so $ isn't the issue. But tracks that aren't do or die are the most popular (like the Vet track movement in CA), most tracks scare the hell out of a beginner. And forget about racing--the intermediates are as fast as the Pros, the Novice class isn't far off, which is a joke, and the beginner class is nowhere close to beginner anymore. Talked to a first time racer at Swan this summer, he was stunned how fast the beginner class was, and never returned. And he wasn't that slow, either.
The tracks need to enforce a basic set of class based rules.

No shut a guy st Baja MX in C. Class with me was doing the 120 or how ever big the damn thing is. C class but does 120 ft jump...right.

I'm riding Vet Sport for 2017 but they changed it from 30+ to 25+ so it's going to basically be a sandbagged class like the others.
se7enmx
12/11/2016 4:14pm
Just a question. Let's say Suzuki brings back the 1980 RM125. It had decent suspension. Enough power to keep it fun. Easy to work on. Aftermarket companies might get a kick out of making product for these again. Without adding in some of the land, noise issues. Would you buy one? Would there be an interest? Keeping the cost down would possibly bring in a new rider? New air cooled classes at the races? Just throwing it out there.

The Shop

bsharkey
12/11/2016 4:14pm
we are having awesome turnouts except for the pros. 400 riders at local AX race last weekend. 59 motos
ledger
12/11/2016 5:19pm
Cheaper to buy the game and not break a sweat.
endurox
12/11/2016 5:47pm
machine wrote:
1. Cost of bikes 2. Stagnant wages for the last 15 years 3. cost to ride 4. It's become too super crossy and the injuries are...
1. Cost of bikes
2. Stagnant wages for the last 15 years
3. cost to ride
4. It's become too super crossy and the injuries are extreme now.

All these have been mentioned in prior posts, but they all factor into it and are accurate.
Plus health insurance premiums that are like a mortgage payment.
Bring back more old school tracks. Personally Endurocross is much more appealing and also trials riding (145 pound bikes)
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
12/11/2016 5:51pm
There were a ton of riders at Day in the Dirt too. That doesn't really mean that moto is doing fine though. That's just one weekend...
There were a ton of riders at Day in the Dirt too. That doesn't really mean that moto is doing fine though. That's just one weekend in southern California...

downard254 wrote:
That looks the staging area for my 250B class on any given weekend back in the early to mid 80's
This was also a combination of a few different levels and age groups. If you look at the hay bales on the right side that how everyone lined up per class/age. So not really a ton.
dcg141
12/11/2016 8:37pm
We can't even get thru half of a supercross season wo several contenders dropping out from injuries. Its like if no one is crashing regularly then make the track more difficult, as if that is the goal. So over the years as riders got better the tracks become more and more difficult and dangerous. The learning curve is steep enough as it is, add in that you are going to get hurt, possibly badly, before you get efficient and you see the problem. I mean how many of you have gone to a beautiful track and find out there is a 120 foot triple to clear to have any chance of being competitive and thought, crap I just don't wanna go there. Even if you huck it your one miss timed event from a ride in an ambulance. Its no wonder that cross country is on the rise and moto is suffering. We really need to seriously rethink track design.
colorado2day
12/11/2016 9:21pm
Growth for the Motorcycle, Bike and Parts Manufacturing industry has[i] slowed over the past five years, largely because the aging of the population has reduced demand...
Growth for the Motorcycle, Bike and Parts Manufacturing industry has slowed over the past five years, largely because the aging of the population has reduced demand for motorcycles, baby boomers being the industry's largest revenue source. Additionally, import competition has intensified, leading many industry companies to relocate production abroad.

Through 2021, industry operators are expected to counteract these trends by increasing the efficiency of their production facilities and marketing their products to younger, previously untapped demographics in light of declining sales to baby boomers, who have long comprised the industry's primary customer group.

So how do you Market to the younger, previously untapped demographics ?

My guess is new EFI 2 Strokes. Kids today are more familiar with 2 strokes than 4 strokes. As far as untapped, Less expensive 2 strokes would sure help.

If MX Sports would follow the Euro lead and Hold a 125 2 stroke class at the Nationals and allow 2 Strokes to compete with 4 strokes.....
Cool article from an aging baby boomer that will remind you of how far we have come.....

Jody's-box/ Jody chronicles-my-life-as-an-mxa-test-pilot
12/11/2016 9:30pm
Myke wrote:
This was also a combination of a few different levels and age groups. If you look at the hay bales on the right side that how...
This was also a combination of a few different levels and age groups. If you look at the hay bales on the right side that how everyone lined up per class/age. So not really a ton.
That's a good point. It was all the two stroke classes combined, but each moto throughout the event looked like that.
JMX82
12/11/2016 10:59pm
It's happening here in Finland too. I think biggest problem here is insurance prices going up the roof. The insurance is required by law for every motorcycle even if they are used for closed course off road racing only and you have to have separate insurance for each bike. If accident happens and you don't have insurance you might have to pay ten fold insurance fees. This requirement started back in early 2000's and insurance fee was around 150 euros/year (almost same in USD today) back then which was acceptable. The insurance coverage is really good and people started to get things like broken helmets paid by the insurance. Because of that today you can't get insurance for under 1000 euros/year and prices are going up every year.

Before insurance was required you could go to local club race only paying 5 euro entry fee and gates where full. Today the starting gates are only half full of serious racers at those races with their brand new bikes and sprinter vans. Back in the day there where guys with ten year old bikes and car trailers having fun and it wasn't too serious.

If you want race national races here you also have to pay licence fee which is about 450 euros/year and entry fee which is about 30-60 euros/race.

Top of that new bike prices have gone up with four strokes and tracks are more demanding. In the nineties there where no whoops, doubles or rhythm sections at local tracks and they are everywhere. I'ts a lot harder to amateur riders to ride these tracks today and there is lot more risk involved. I wish track builders would stop bringing supercross elements to outdoor tracks... Also noise issues have gone worse with four strokes and many of the tracks have been closed or have very limited opening due to that.

I doesn't look good for the sport at the moment...
JMX82
12/12/2016 1:56am
This story just happened to be today's newspaper. I ran it trough google translate so might be bit poor English but I think you can get the picture...

12/12/2016 7:02am
Drive time of 2+ hours one way to any track. All tracks are way north or way south in BFE. Cost $40 usd just to practice and it is split. You get three 20 minute motos for an entire day. Tracks open at 8am and are closed by 2 pm. Used to open at 7am and go until dark for $20 usd. To race I have to renew all my cards/registration, drive over 4 hrs, gas, food, etc. It costs a minimum of $400 to race a single 3 lap practice and one 5 lap moto. You have got to be crazy. It's no longer an option for most people unless you live way out in the country and somehow make a lot of $ where their are essentially no jobs. You have to go to big cities for work.
RCMXracing
12/12/2016 7:29am
Agree with most all the comments. Land closures and access are big. Used to be you could ride dirt roads and some paved to access other areas. The law will ticket you or worse nowadays. Free range kids were a thing. Too many laws, too much enforcement. We used to ride dirt bikes to school! In modern society the law is up your ass and if they don't catch you someone else will take pictures and video and turn you in. We have lost so so many freedoms. Can't blame one political party. The Wilderness act in the late 60's signed into law under Nixon started the decline in access.
RCMXracing
12/12/2016 7:59am
So what more can be done to stop the decline and draw more youth into the sport? No doubt Vets are keeping the sport afloat! IMHO it has to be grass roots local level. Dealers need to support the sport, it's in their long term interest to do so.
Families work together to draw more kids in. Have parents and the kid that doesn't ride borrow a bike and gear, get 'em hooked. If you have some riding land be generous and invite others...they can help you work on your facility to repay your generosity.
This fallacy that dirt bikes are soooo dangerous...but football is OK has to be debunked. Have your kid start a club. Any grade level including college. Blake Wharton started up a club, NTU Moto club.
Track promoters create special riding days with coaches, etc. for different age groups. After school midweek or summer. Follow the "soccer camp" paradigm. Don't make it crazy expensive...again it's in the promoter's interest to build the rider base.
One last thing...talk to people when you're at the track! Let's face it, Moto is an individual sport and fits the "loner" stereotype, gotta break that idea. Everyone likes being a part of something, folks are more likely to stick with it if they feel they are part of a group.
jtiger12
12/12/2016 9:18am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2016 9:20am
GregDVT wrote:
The closest track to me is 2+ hours away, and some of them aren't even worth the drive. I don't know a single person in my...
The closest track to me is 2+ hours away, and some of them aren't even worth the drive. I don't know a single person in my area that rides that is willing to buy a new bike at the risk of it getting stolen. Some dealerships have stopped carrying MX bikes b/c they kept getting broken into only for the MX bikes.

The only way to ride is if you have 15+ acres available due to noise ordinances.

The only reasonable way to race motorcycles around here are the flat track races at the state fair grounds, and that is only maybe 8-10 weekends a year.

Hopefully Alta's will be more affordable (or I'll be a bit less broke) in a couple of years and this will change for me.
Greg...

I live in forest hill, and I totally agree with you. I'll even note, that the private track I've ridden at for the last 3 years is shutting down due to noise. He owns 100 acres and it just isn't worth fighting the neighbors over the noise. We've been cut down to 3 hours from 12-3 Saturday or Sunday, no holiday weekends. This area is full of nimbys and the closest track to me is snake Creek which is 1:45 minutes each way. It sure is hard to be into this sport around these parts anymore. I know 3 people that have had their bike stolen, and if mine gets stolen I'll most likely take the insurance money and get a street car. At least in a car, I most likely won't be on the hook for some outrageous hospital bill. I blame health insurance costs and bike costs the most
CC268
Fantasy
3552nd
12/12/2016 9:58am
Hate to say it, but I agree that motocross in on the decline. Whether it will rebound - I don't know.

I think there are a lot of factors at play, but I think some of the biggest are:

1. Land closures - it is amazing how much land has been closed here in AZ
2. Younger generation is too involved with technology - iPads, video games, etc
3. Perception - quite frankly a lot of the public just doesn't like dirt bikes. They don't like the sounds, the dust, etc. Law enforcement is NOT on our side either (of course I guess they are simply enforcing the laws).

One of the biggest in my opinion:
4. Side by Sides - RZRs have absolutely swept the motorsports market. All but ONE of my friends has sold their bikes and bought a RZR. Local shops that relied on working on bikes are hanging on by a thread. They almost have to turn to working on side by sides to survive. Been to the dunes lately? It is ALL side by sides.

I actually don't think cost is the biggest issue at play here, because there seems to be A LOT of people buying $25,000 side by sides - including many people who quite frankly can't afford them. The reality is many people overestimate their financial position (you should see some of my old friends who have bought these RZRs with no money down and make minimum payments. The stupidity is just unbelievable. That RZR you bought for 25K is more like 35K.) One of my good friends sold his bike because he said it was too dangerous...coming from a kid who has never ridden a track in his life. He was a weekend warrior who did some desert/woods riding. That RZR is probably just as dangerous when you go to the dunes on every holiday weekend.

Step into any local dealership here and it is swamped with RZRs, Can-Ams, etc. And they are selling them like hot cakes. It is not unusual to see 40k-50k RZRs. Side by sides are the new dirtbike. Don't get me wrong - they are fun, but nothing beats riding single track on the top of a ridge, riding a good track, finding that awesome floater at the dunes. These people would rather sit in their four point harnesses smoking a cigarette than be exposed to the danger of a dirtbike.

Rant over.

kkawboy14
12/12/2016 11:41am
CC268 wrote:
Hate to say it, but I agree that motocross in on the decline. Whether it will rebound - I don't know. I think there are a...
Hate to say it, but I agree that motocross in on the decline. Whether it will rebound - I don't know.

I think there are a lot of factors at play, but I think some of the biggest are:

1. Land closures - it is amazing how much land has been closed here in AZ
2. Younger generation is too involved with technology - iPads, video games, etc
3. Perception - quite frankly a lot of the public just doesn't like dirt bikes. They don't like the sounds, the dust, etc. Law enforcement is NOT on our side either (of course I guess they are simply enforcing the laws).

One of the biggest in my opinion:
4. Side by Sides - RZRs have absolutely swept the motorsports market. All but ONE of my friends has sold their bikes and bought a RZR. Local shops that relied on working on bikes are hanging on by a thread. They almost have to turn to working on side by sides to survive. Been to the dunes lately? It is ALL side by sides.

I actually don't think cost is the biggest issue at play here, because there seems to be A LOT of people buying $25,000 side by sides - including many people who quite frankly can't afford them. The reality is many people overestimate their financial position (you should see some of my old friends who have bought these RZRs with no money down and make minimum payments. The stupidity is just unbelievable. That RZR you bought for 25K is more like 35K.) One of my good friends sold his bike because he said it was too dangerous...coming from a kid who has never ridden a track in his life. He was a weekend warrior who did some desert/woods riding. That RZR is probably just as dangerous when you go to the dunes on every holiday weekend.

Step into any local dealership here and it is swamped with RZRs, Can-Ams, etc. And they are selling them like hot cakes. It is not unusual to see 40k-50k RZRs. Side by sides are the new dirtbike. Don't get me wrong - they are fun, but nothing beats riding single track on the top of a ridge, riding a good track, finding that awesome floater at the dunes. These people would rather sit in their four point harnesses smoking a cigarette than be exposed to the danger of a dirtbike.

Rant over.

Agreed!

And side by sides are easy to feel like your fast in, girls, kids and slow mxers. They are the new 3 wheeler
dedi684
12/12/2016 11:55am
Pirate421 wrote:
No place to ride for many. Too expensive, it's a double edged sword for tracks, keep gate fees cheap to get people in but when people...
No place to ride for many. Too expensive, it's a double edged sword for tracks, keep gate fees cheap to get people in but when people don't come you have to raise gate fees. I New England it's definitely $35-$40 for a practice day fee, with split practices. Races you're looking at $50-$60 because each little series has their own "daily or yearly membership fee" plus $10 to get in and $40 per class. I raced a Jday and while it was sweet, between the one day $20 membership, $10 entry, $20 transponder, $40 per class I was at almost $100 for an hour of riding. I can't afford to ride one day a week anymore. When I was a kid I rode every damn day for free because all the land wasn't posted and no one complained about the kids riding in the fields.
$15 gate fees now for new england
Pirate421
12/12/2016 12:06pm
Pirate421 wrote:
No place to ride for many. Too expensive, it's a double edged sword for tracks, keep gate fees cheap to get people in but when people...
No place to ride for many. Too expensive, it's a double edged sword for tracks, keep gate fees cheap to get people in but when people don't come you have to raise gate fees. I New England it's definitely $35-$40 for a practice day fee, with split practices. Races you're looking at $50-$60 because each little series has their own "daily or yearly membership fee" plus $10 to get in and $40 per class. I raced a Jday and while it was sweet, between the one day $20 membership, $10 entry, $20 transponder, $40 per class I was at almost $100 for an hour of riding. I can't afford to ride one day a week anymore. When I was a kid I rode every damn day for free because all the land wasn't posted and no one complained about the kids riding in the fields.
dedi684 wrote:
$15 gate fees now for new england
Great. I rode capeway a few weeks ago. The track was great but they had practice split into 50s, minis, A&B, C, and quads. I rode every practice from 10am to 3 from green flag to checkers and put 1.2hrs on my bike. That's no where near enough track time for the $40 practice fee. They were pretty busy but damn spent 5x more time sitting on my tailgate twiddling my thumbs than riding.
Choppa24
12/12/2016 12:27pm
There definitely are a lot of reasons why kids are not involved in off road motorcycles as much but three of the largest reasons that my daughter doesn't ride is

1) Mainstream youth sports

Not sure about youth sports where you guys live but here it is damn near year round if you want your kid to be competitive. My 8 year old plays basketball in the fall, winter, and summer as do most of her friends. Mainstream youth sports have gotten a lot more serious and require much more time and traveling then when I was younger. And to be honest as a parent, the cost of youth sports have gotten higher but still no where near as high as competing in motorsports. That and she has a legitimate chance of getting a free/reduced education if she keeps succeeding in basketball.

2) Accessibility.

Mainly, lack of CASUAL riding areas. When I was younger (I'm 29 now), a bunch of the neighborhood kids rode in a field on where there was undeveloped housing. We would ride from our houses in the neighborhoods to the field and no one cared. We would build little doubles and no one cared. I'm positive that the current neighborhood I live in now would throw a fit if kids were riding around the neighborhood and jumping jumps in the open grass area.

3) Just not that interesting/ a lot more things to do

As mentioned before, dirt bikes to a lot of kids just aren't as interesting anymore. Why? I'm not sure. Maybe it's due to the popularity of the NFL, NBA, Soccer, etc? These sports have always produced starts but now with social media, multiple sports channels on cable, and YouTube, you see and hear about these stars all the time. Maybe it's the growth of video games and mobile devices? Maybe it is just because there is just more cool shit to do then when we grew up?
Mr. Info
12/12/2016 12:30pm
MX has always been a nich sport. If your 50 and over it was what men to be tougher than the guy next to you and now they are the guys with all the money and the biggest classes. The kids now have a different focus and it video games and who can kill the most in the game. And then more and more tracks are making them for the younger riders and the older guys don't want to get hurt so either only go to races and tracks that suit them. Us older guys have to work so if that double was a tabletop more older guys would show up. I watched the races at my home track yesterday and watched a double double section and less than 10% of all the riders jumped it. 90% did not try so they won't get hurt. The price of a bike is costly but it's a circle and before the 70's bike sales were not great and then new ideas brought new people in but there were no video games.
SX only with no Outdoor Nationals will not help bike sales. Most of the fans don't ride, they don't see timed practice and only watch the top guys qualify and race which means no one sees the other non factory guys try to make it. Teams only carry 2 riders so no one else thinks they could make it.
More riders on teams with bonus only contracts. Make tracks safer because as we make riders safer we make the tracks tougher. Sometimes a new direction only makes others lost and what's going on is losing people
Moto810
12/12/2016 1:20pm
I think what is more telling is the fact this has been going on for years. However, the few people in charge of the sport ignore it or only worry about TV coverage. TV coverage is not going make the sport healthier or get kids into the sport in mass when costs are so high. So many people point out issues on a site like this yet you don't see the top of the sport doing a dang thing about it! If they cared you would see one or two things a year change in the sport to help this issue. When was the last time the heads of the sport gave a press conference to talk about any of these issues? When was the last time they made a change that was for the sport and not for their own series?

I will give the AMA credit because at least they allow two strokes at equal displacement now. If the pro racing would follow that would be step in the right direction.
Fourth_Floor
12/12/2016 1:22pm
It 100% is in my area. Back in the 90's and early 2000's there were loads of kids that rode and had bikes. There was even the few that got a bike just to cruise around with it in the back of their truck and barely ever rode it. Now, I am literally the only person I know of around here that even follows the sport. I tattoo for a living so I talk to loads of people and have to make conversation and I always try to bring up moto and noone is even familiar with it anymore or know who any of the current riders are. I get a few that know who Carmichael is and a very small amount that has heard of Ryan Villopoto, it's sad haha. It has to be a money thing though. If you look at all the ball sports and how popular they are and will continue to be is that it costs, what, $10 for a football and a dad or friend to start practicing? Regardless of what tax bracket you're in, if you have what it takes, it's obtainable for a kid from an average or below average Joe family to make it pro in a ball sport. Motocross? Not so much.
hvaughn88
12/12/2016 1:35pm
Choppa24 wrote:
There definitely are a lot of reasons why kids are not involved in off road motorcycles as much but three of the largest reasons that my...
There definitely are a lot of reasons why kids are not involved in off road motorcycles as much but three of the largest reasons that my daughter doesn't ride is

1) Mainstream youth sports

Not sure about youth sports where you guys live but here it is damn near year round if you want your kid to be competitive. My 8 year old plays basketball in the fall, winter, and summer as do most of her friends. Mainstream youth sports have gotten a lot more serious and require much more time and traveling then when I was younger. And to be honest as a parent, the cost of youth sports have gotten higher but still no where near as high as competing in motorsports. That and she has a legitimate chance of getting a free/reduced education if she keeps succeeding in basketball.

2) Accessibility.

Mainly, lack of CASUAL riding areas. When I was younger (I'm 29 now), a bunch of the neighborhood kids rode in a field on where there was undeveloped housing. We would ride from our houses in the neighborhoods to the field and no one cared. We would build little doubles and no one cared. I'm positive that the current neighborhood I live in now would throw a fit if kids were riding around the neighborhood and jumping jumps in the open grass area.

3) Just not that interesting/ a lot more things to do

As mentioned before, dirt bikes to a lot of kids just aren't as interesting anymore. Why? I'm not sure. Maybe it's due to the popularity of the NFL, NBA, Soccer, etc? These sports have always produced starts but now with social media, multiple sports channels on cable, and YouTube, you see and hear about these stars all the time. Maybe it's the growth of video games and mobile devices? Maybe it is just because there is just more cool shit to do then when we grew up?
We are similar ages with similar age kids and as you said, it never stops. My son plays baseball (summer and fall league) basketball, football and races BMX (which is basically year-round, too). I let him play as many as he wants because I want him to be as active as he can be and do what he actually wants to do, but damn, I don't even know how we could add another sport to our plate. There's just not enough time in the day. Luckily, I work for myself so I can come and go as I please to take him wherever and whenever need be, but a lot of people don't have that option. And the scary part is, that's just one kid. My younger son is about to be doing all the same thing. Plus I also race BMX, fish, hike, camp, etc. Thank God we are only racing BMX locally and haven't started trying to hit nationals yet. I sat back and thought about it the other day and realized we have one day of the week that doesn't have something going on. My wife is a saint.
RCMXracing
12/12/2016 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2016 1:52pm
Everyone hitting the nail on the head!
Kids are definitely more "image" driven these days. Enamoured by celebrity. What Moto Playground does with marketing is a great direction. Need more of that! If the next generation can IG it, Snap chat it, whatever it, some form of social brag they eat it up. Event driven.
Obviously parents need to support it...getting the parents into riding is the best way. Dragging jr around only to be pit bitch gets old real quick...real talk.
I do take issue with cost complaints. All costs. This is the most INEXPENSIVE Motorsport on the planet! Wanna play? You gotta pay. Whining about gate fees and practice fees I dont get when you are hauling around an 8K bike in a stupid brand new lifted truck. Sorry. How about some Top Golf? How about a lift ticket at a ski resort? I will say I get pissed if I dont get much track time when too many classes on a practice day. When that happens I politely talk to the owner/operator. If he tells me to get F'd then not a place I will go to as much.
And NO WAY are 2 strokes going to "save" the sport. The math doesn't add up. EFI/DI, so what? The bikes are nearly as expensive, and you have to do top and bottom ends more often.
bsharkey
12/12/2016 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2016 4:09pm
something needs to change period. I don't care wtf malcom has done or not done but ITS INSANE that a 250cc champ doesn't have a ride. wth do kids think when they see that, it cant be good. we had 400 entries at a local AX race 2 weeks ago but the pro turnout sucked. the pros know if theres no payout theres no reason to showup. I mean seriously. lets think about that for a minute. 400 riders riding multiple classes, spectators showing up to watch, people eating food and 7 pros show up and only 2 at a SX level.how can the promotors not have $$ to pay these guys plus give the fans some good racing. I remember the days when you used to get amped up to see top level talent race but they are GONE!!!
bsharkey
12/12/2016 4:14pm
rucka356 wrote:
For all the people that say the cost is not the issue you are on Crack. Go look at theb450 shootout, the cheapest new 450 was...
For all the people that say the cost is not the issue you are on Crack. Go look at theb450 shootout, the cheapest new 450 was what, $8,699 I think? The last 450 I bought I paid $5,600 OTD(04 YZ450f). When you factor the cost of all the different things it has a huge affect on choices people make. Not only does dad have to fork out $4k for Johnny a bike, but the first time he crashes he also has to fork out $2k toward his health insurance deductible. The costs are just too high these days. I've got about 5 acres and plan on building a small track for my pit bike, but I will definitely not be pushing my girls toward riding because I don't want the added expenses that come with it. They can ride a $700 go cart in circles around my track instead hahaha
so true the new ktm 50s are going for 4800 now. a starter bike
12/12/2016 4:29pm
bsharkey wrote:
something needs to change period. I don't care wtf malcom has done or not done but ITS INSANE that a 250cc champ doesn't have a ride...
something needs to change period. I don't care wtf malcom has done or not done but ITS INSANE that a 250cc champ doesn't have a ride. wth do kids think when they see that, it cant be good. we had 400 entries at a local AX race 2 weeks ago but the pro turnout sucked. the pros know if theres no payout theres no reason to showup. I mean seriously. lets think about that for a minute. 400 riders riding multiple classes, spectators showing up to watch, people eating food and 7 pros show up and only 2 at a SX level.how can the promotors not have $$ to pay these guys plus give the fans some good racing. I remember the days when you used to get amped up to see top level talent race but they are GONE!!!
Don't forget that it took him six years to win that title. It would be a different story if he won it within a few years of turning pro.

Post a reply to: Moto is on the Decline?

The Latest