Moto is on the Decline?

colorado2day
12/11/2016 9:08am
I would be interested to hear some thoughts on the reputation that Motocross has developed. My generation (I am 28, millennial?) and the group beneath me...
I would be interested to hear some thoughts on the reputation that Motocross has developed. My generation (I am 28, millennial?) and the group beneath me is growing up with a dark cloud over motocross (IMO). I have received some interesting comments in the office over the past few years and I think said comments provide some insight on how the outside world views motocross riders.

For understanding, in the last 5 years I have gone to my desk job injured twice (dislocated hip and torn muscle around my elbow)

Comments received:
#1 I never want my son to be like you
#2 Why do you subject yourself to these injuries? I have friends that ride and they always seem to be hurt or injured
#3 Do you ever not crash (hahaha)
#4 This sport seems so dangerous...I don't think I would ever let me kids ride dirtbikes

I could list 100 more.

Has anyone else faced the same commentary? If the general understanding is that you will likely or always be injured, I can understand why growth is stalling in the motocross community. I truly believe that my injuries are influential in the decisions my co-workers make when considering sports for their children.
mx836 wrote:
My coworkers are so oblivious that it actually irritates me. I find it funny that they think you are no good if you crash or get...
My coworkers are so oblivious that it actually irritates me. I find it funny that they think you are no good if you crash or get injured. News flash.... everybody crashes and gets injured.
Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
12/11/2016 9:15am
"Weird" people arent any different just the same as kids aren't any different. It's just the media.
Silas444
12/11/2016 9:23am
We so easily forget that when moto was at it's height and there were a hundred guys lining up for the 125 B class (the 70s), none of those guys feared they'd get gravely injured, nor did their dads. They may have feared they'd end up bruised or maybe even get a hairline fracture on their arm or leg, but thoughts of ending up with life-threatening internal injuries or multiple compound fractures (or worse) were simply not there. All the things we're talking about that are seeing increases in participation in despite their extreme costs (car racing, side-by-sides, UTVs, whatever), are actually SAFER than they used to be. Moto, on the other hand, is most certainly not. Why are hare scrambles races on the upswing? Same reason moto is on the decline. I'm in my fifties now, and lucky me, I get to ride on private tracks exclusively now. I own one myself and some of my buds have them too, and there isn't a obstacle on any of them that I have trepidation about. I have gotten DOZENS of my friends hooked on moto by bringing them out to these places. The potential for moto to thrive is still there (because, after all, it's the single most enjoyable sport in the world), but it's fading, and it's fading because the danger factor is increasing at an exponential rate, and it's doing so in a world where everything else is becoming safer. If we refuse to acknowledge that it's the RACING part of moto, not the FLYING part of moto, that makes it what it is - then well, we'll deserve the decline we'll continue to witness. They are DIRT bikes, after all, not SKY bikes.
12/11/2016 9:27am
Motodave15 wrote:
Is probably the worst statement.. milestone was absolutely packed... word was glen helen was packed as well. I think this moto industry is on the up...
Is probably the worst statement.. milestone was absolutely packed... word was glen helen was packed as well. I think this moto industry is on the up and up

One thing is, must be a rise of old bikes because i didnt see that many people rocking 15-17s. But alot of nice older bikes.
You are completely delusional they sold more bikes in the 70s and 80s even the 90s. Today doesn't even come close. (4strokes)
Saddleback, Carlsbad all the major tracks in orange county are closed. The average person does not let her kid ride a dirt bike anymore. (Riders Union)
I don't know what planet you're on but it's not earth...

We need a two-stroke revolution and a riders union so parents perceive the sport as safe and affordable.

The Shop

rucka356
12/11/2016 9:31am
For all the people that say the cost is not the issue you are on Crack. Go look at theb450 shootout, the cheapest new 450 was what, $8,699 I think? The last 450 I bought I paid $5,600 OTD(04 YZ450f). When you factor the cost of all the different things it has a huge affect on choices people make. Not only does dad have to fork out $4k for Johnny a bike, but the first time he crashes he also has to fork out $2k toward his health insurance deductible. The costs are just too high these days. I've got about 5 acres and plan on building a small track for my pit bike, but I will definitely not be pushing my girls toward riding because I don't want the added expenses that come with it. They can ride a $700 go cart in circles around my track instead hahaha
vetmxr
12/11/2016 9:31am
I would be interested to hear some thoughts on the reputation that Motocross has developed. My generation (I am 28, millennial?) and the group beneath me...
I would be interested to hear some thoughts on the reputation that Motocross has developed. My generation (I am 28, millennial?) and the group beneath me is growing up with a dark cloud over motocross (IMO). I have received some interesting comments in the office over the past few years and I think said comments provide some insight on how the outside world views motocross riders.

For understanding, in the last 5 years I have gone to my desk job injured twice (dislocated hip and torn muscle around my elbow)

Comments received:
#1 I never want my son to be like you
#2 Why do you subject yourself to these injuries? I have friends that ride and they always seem to be hurt or injured
#3 Do you ever not crash (hahaha)
#4 This sport seems so dangerous...I don't think I would ever let me kids ride dirtbikes

I could list 100 more.

Has anyone else faced the same commentary? If the general understanding is that you will likely or always be injured, I can understand why growth is stalling in the motocross community. I truly believe that my injuries are influential in the decisions my co-workers make when considering sports for their children.
Yes.....you limp around or have some road rash showing and everyone asks..... " Jesus...are you still riding those things, aren't you getting a little old for that? " As they look at you with a little pity, like you have no control over yourself...ha ha

Sheep mentality.........IMO

I have as much fun riding at 47 as I did when I was 10.....very few things in my life that I can say that about. I consider myself lucky that I got to be involved in this sport at its peak in the 80's and 90's......Its hard to explain to a kid the differences between then and now in Moto.......This sport used to be easy to participate in....tracks everywhere, prices reasonable, few regulations stopping you from riding, 100's of riders showing up on raceday.

When I'd line up in the 80's it seemed every class had full gates, we used to have to run qualifiers in some of the classes because too many riders showed up. Expert classes back then were mostly full and you could make some good money because of the numbers.....now I show up to race vet A and there may be me and another guy or two, so they line us with the expert class and then we have about 5 to 8 guys on a gate. Pitifull.
1stSSPZ
12/11/2016 9:34am
Crazy expensive. Nowhere to ride. Stupid dangerous on big jumps. I just klunked a double and folded my ankle. I faced major eye rolls at work...
Crazy expensive. Nowhere to ride. Stupid dangerous on big jumps. I just klunked a double and folded my ankle. I faced major eye rolls at work and home, have ice on my ankle as I type, and fear I'll have to be cut open soon.

Totally inaccessible to new people - how can you ask a newb to spend 12K+ drive 1-2 hours each way every time and risk their well being? Those of us growing up at the track will continue to dwindle. Cost goes up, drive to ride gets further, circling the toilet.

Honestly: imagine bringing someone who can't ride to your track and getting them "hooked". It's become damn near impossible.
The whole story, in a nutshell.
snackfedbear
12/11/2016 9:42am
There's a lot of negativity floating around in this forum... I think moto just needs more main stream coverage and more dudes that make it fun to watch. Bring back whips! Bring back shit talking! Bring back Tyler Evans! Oh and Honda needs to bring back the "I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna riiiide!" commercial again.
vetmxr
12/11/2016 9:42am
Not to mention when more people have bikes to ride, there are alot more private tracks to ride on as long as you "know" someone that can get you in....Most of my buddies in the eighties and 90's had a track on their land and we could ride a diiferent place all the time....
BobPA
12/11/2016 9:45am
colintrax wrote:
"Weird" people arent any different just the same as kids aren't any different. It's just the media.
Agreed. Kids would rather shit talk on Call of duty, then change an air filter.
machine
12/11/2016 9:54am
1. Cost of bikes
2. Stagnant wages for the last 15 years
3. cost to ride
4. It's become too super crossy and the injuries are extreme now.

All these have been mentioned in prior posts, but they all factor into it and are accurate.
hvaughn88
12/11/2016 10:06am Edited Date/Time 12/11/2016 10:06am
colintrax wrote:
BobPA wrote:
That's exactly my point. I disagree. I think kids would love to be doing the stuff to get their hands dirty. They start to turn to "technology" out of boredom, not by choice (in my opinion).
Moto810
12/11/2016 10:15am
machine wrote:
1. Cost of bikes 2. Stagnant wages for the last 15 years 3. cost to ride 4. It's become too super crossy and the injuries are...
1. Cost of bikes
2. Stagnant wages for the last 15 years
3. cost to ride
4. It's become too super crossy and the injuries are extreme now.

All these have been mentioned in prior posts, but they all factor into it and are accurate.
Yeah that sums it up pretty well.

#3 cost to ride stands out to me because if you look around at the big races they are expensive. Most have a no refund rule also? If someone pays before the race and then has an accident or something that prevents them from going to the race why should they not get a refund or a rain check? If they never used the services then any normal business would refund them.

Tracks have become more and more jumpy of course and when you combine that with bigger and faster bikes then you get more injuries and that scares parents.

All and all it is the sport itself pushing people away. The blame goes to from the top all the way down to the local tracks!
NATEP231
12/11/2016 10:19am
Ricky Carmichael training program
$4000 KTM 50s
$9000 450s
Gear prices
Unnecessary track fees
price of tires
hospital bills
to many classes in running order=long track days
Social media "pros"
Training facilities
Open practice days on top of other tracks races days
325,000,000 people in the USA and less than 20 are factory riders/ make a livingish
Price of the Loretta Lynn's system
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
12/11/2016 10:31am
BobPA wrote:
Kids don't wanna change an air filter, I sure don't.
The point I made is the kids haven't gotten any different, it's the parents thatve changed. Because of the media.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
12/11/2016 10:35am
Yall talking about prices as if inflation isn't a thing.

1990 cr250 msrp.

2017 crf450

Sure it's not dollar for dollar, but then again we ain't riding carb'd 2 strokes anymore. I don't think the $1000 difference is significant. Plenty of dirt cheap beginners bikes, and used bikes to fill that void.
mx836
12/11/2016 10:35am
colintrax wrote:
BobPA wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
That's exactly my point. I disagree. I think kids would love to be doing the stuff to get their hands dirty. They start to turn to...
That's exactly my point. I disagree. I think kids would love to be doing the stuff to get their hands dirty. They start to turn to "technology" out of boredom, not by choice (in my opinion).
Good point. You can't really blame the kids. It's in the hands of the parents. Not many kids turn down a dirt bike.
kott0n
Fantasy
3779th
12/11/2016 10:39am Edited Date/Time 12/11/2016 10:40am
I don't want to take away from the intention of the thread but I don't want more money per hour, that isn't a fix. It only leads to higher inflation. It's a direct correlation.

We need our existing money to have more purchasing power, that's the key. You can have a wheel barrow full of money and it be near useless.

The dollars of 1980s and 1990s had more purchasing power which gave the middle class access to more activities. Hell everyone used to have at least ONE off road machine.

EDIT: Colintrax gets it
hvaughn88
12/11/2016 10:42am
BobPA wrote:
colintrax wrote:
Kids don't wanna change an air filter, I sure don't. The point I made is the kids haven't gotten any different, it's the parents thatve changed...
The point I made is the kids haven't gotten any different, it's the parents thatve changed. Because of the media.
Man, I don't know what to say except I guess we can just agree to disagree. I can 100% tell you my kids would love to change an air filter. And as a parent, I don't need the media to tell me the world can be dangerous for kids, I see enough people driving 20 mph over the speed limit on their phones on the way to the grocery store to tell me that. That's the kind of stuff that scares me about letting my kids run all over town all day, not the media.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
12/11/2016 11:07am
My parents dropped my sister and I off at the strip in fort lauderdale with a 2 liter of coke, a bag of doritos and a dozen donut holes while they went to work all day when i was in elementary and middle school. Saw a lot of crazy things but i lived. An old white school bus would drive through every nieghborhood and kids could just jump on and it would stop at the bowling alley, the cable ski park, the movies, the beach, the mall, the skate park etc. Each place had a free pay phone where you were supposed to call your parent's but most of the time we forgot. Yes parents had to come look for you but we lived. Every kid in my school had a 3 wheeler or dirty bike. Parents were not afraid to let thier kids really live. I moved to another town for highschool and not one kid rode, zero. If you didn't fish here, you just got in trouble. Everywhere kids go here they are harrassed so it's no wonder they don't go outside. Different times and location is a big factor as is life where i believe sometimes you are a victim of your surroundings. I don't think people are crazier, i just think it's all on video now.
BobPA
12/11/2016 11:09am
BobPA wrote:
colintrax wrote:
Kids don't wanna change an air filter, I sure don't. The point I made is the kids haven't gotten any different, it's the parents thatve changed...
My air filter reference was more or less and arbitrary statement. What I am trying to say is, If you offered kids a choice today of $500 towards a ps4 or $500 towards a dirt bike, I bet 80% of them would take the PS4...maybe more. People are lazier now (myself included)

I am 29 and just recently got settled into my house, there were a few neighborhood kids who rode around me. Started the year with 6 or 7 of them in the 13-16 years old range. Now I think two have bikes left, they all traded them away on Facebook....mostly because they did not have the money, and their parents had no intentions of helping them out.

The youngest of them has a descent 2001 KX 250 that his old man bought for him, but knew nothing about the maintenance/costs involved with riding a bike. The kid cuts my grass and helps me out so I help with the bike. His bike is in my basement right now and I am teaching him how to replace a piston and a check the clutch, swing arm bearings etc. I offered his friends to bring all their bikes over and I would help them all out....and he says they are all home playing their Xbox. (It is only 20 degrees here).

Point is, there are still kids interested in the sport. But, I think video games are more appealing.
colorado2day
12/11/2016 11:12am Edited Date/Time 12/11/2016 11:13am
BobPA wrote:
colintrax wrote:
NO AIR FILTER

GasGas ekids

MSRP $ 2099

Gas Gas E Kids - A true powerful miniature all-terrain Motorcycle

The Gas Gas EC Sr. has been designed to offer all the safety guarantees as children learn gradually, with a motor that can be programmed from a smartphone and LiMnCo batteries, which weigh less and have incredibly more “kick” and autonomy.

With an adjustable power of 600W up to 1.500W, it is way prepared to promote kids fun and take out the best performance possible.

The EC Sr. range has the best components-design-features ratio on the market. There is nothing else remotely comparable to it available.

EC Sr.

• Frame Tubular CrMo steel frame
• Front Suspension Hydraulic fork (wheel travel 100mm)
• Rear Suspension DNM gas shock absorber, preload adjustment (wheel travel 125 mm)
• Brakes Hydraulic brake system 160 mm front & rear disk
• Motor Controller 48V programmable top speed, power, throttle sensitivity and regeneration
• Power 600 W-1500 W / Max. Speed 52 km/h
• Battery 48V LiNiCoMn 8,8Ah with BMS integrated (Battery Management System) removable
• Rims Aluminum 12” x 1.60
• Tyres Mitas C19 2.50-12 TT 37m
• Weight 30kg
• Max. Pilot Weight 40kg
• Charger 54.6V 2A battery charger (4 hours)
• Others Power train management software included (RS232-USB cable required)
Includes power switch 50-100%
• Optional Bluetooth module via APP (iOS/Android) Remote parameter programming and parental control
• Torrot inverter for car charge (lighter socket)
• Designed and manufactured in Europe
12/11/2016 11:38am
You guys are crazy.

I started track riding in 2014 for about 3k. I didn't have the best stuff but if you get creative, ride a slightly older bike(thats still probably above your skill level), learn to fix stuff on your own, etc you can have just as much fun and do well for way less than the numbers in this thread. People can't just ride to have fun anymore, everything is way to serious and competitive. Most of us are never getting our pro card and even less will be riding pro in SX or MX. This is why Hare scrambles are getting extremely popular and track riding it suffering IMO.

$600 blown up bike
$1000 "resto" job
$600 in gear
$500 harbor freight trailer
$200 hitch for chevy cruze

Approximately $3000 ish and I had a blast. Wish I would have found track riding before 27 years old.

rhargrave431
12/11/2016 11:52am
This may sound crazy or even be crazy, but I think its a generational thing. Moto was so popular in the 90s/00s, so the "millenials" all grew up riding at a time it was most popular. Every class at a local race was completely full. Now, the 20 something year olds either 1, don't have kids yet, 2 kids are still too young, or 3 they are early into their careers or lives not making a good enough living yet to invest into either themselves or their children. Just a thought. Bash away
cameron96
12/11/2016 11:52am
I'm from Canada. People pay 20,000$ for a snowmobile to ride 2-3 month of the year up here

Just the way it is. People still buy em

Luckily I take out my collar bone and I have to pay 30$ for a sling and surgerys on the house up here
Moto810
12/11/2016 11:53am Edited Date/Time 12/11/2016 11:54am
It would be nice to see the magazines and moto sites do some stories on "racing on a budget" type of situation. Point out issues like I have listed below.

1) Buy a new bike that is one or two years old vs the latest model (could save $3000)

2) Buy gear that is 2yrs old and on big discount

3) learn to setup your bike without buying extra aftermarket parts (bikes are pretty good now)

4) talk about lower priced parts like tusk and cheaper tires like Artax.

I have talked to many riders before that did not even know some of this basic info. Helping get more riders into the sport or keeping riders into the sport is good for everyone.
RCB33
Fantasy
139th
12/11/2016 12:38pm
14 Year old point of view... something that seems needed:

My family has been pretty supporting of my racing but since I got off a 65 ('01 kx65) it kinda became my responsibility to purchase bikes and they would help with parts 50/50. I have since bought my own kx100( '08 with PC suspension), YZ125( basically stock '03), and just bought an xr 100. The XR has been my favorite, is cheap to maintain and a decent woods bike with a bit of modding. To give you an idea of my budget ALL IN race ready.

'03 XR: $1,100
BBR Springs: $200
FMF full exhaust:$220
BBR Cradle:$300
New tires(Dunlop mx52):$120
Various maintenance and lubricants:$50

I paid for this by selling my YZ and with money from working at the local track. I am lucky to have an avenue to make money and go ride as I please(we own 60 acres but I have 500+ I could ride on any given day) but I'm an anomaly. Most don't my age don't have a family to support their racing because they don't understand the sport, they don't have a job,or they don't have the ambition, not to mention finding an area to ride. Unless you are already in the sport, by the time you get ready to ride, much less race, you are $1,000 in on a play bike. However the play bike is what we should be marketing to people not a race bike. There is less risk on a play bike, less maintenance, and less money spent. It's better to get people into the sport at a lower level on the trails instead of trying to convince them to blow 5-7 grand on a 125 or 250f before they ever ride. Compared to my friends I am also incredibly money conscious, I have $1,000 in an investment account and am about to put more in. I doubt most of my friends could even save up to $1,000 without dropping it on shoes,a PS4, their girlfriend,etc. So that's another issue. There aren't many in my generation like me but it isn't because they don't wanna ride,its simply that they can't and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon.

RCB33
downard254
12/11/2016 12:41pm
There were a ton of riders at Day in the Dirt too. That doesn't really mean that moto is doing fine though. That's just one weekend...
There were a ton of riders at Day in the Dirt too. That doesn't really mean that moto is doing fine though. That's just one weekend in southern California...

That looks the staging area for my 250B class on any given weekend back in the early to mid 80's
steve_97060
12/11/2016 12:44pm
There were a ton of riders at Day in the Dirt too. That doesn't really mean that moto is doing fine though. That's just one weekend...
There were a ton of riders at Day in the Dirt too. That doesn't really mean that moto is doing fine though. That's just one weekend in southern California...

downard254 wrote:
That looks the staging area for my 250B class on any given weekend back in the early to mid 80's
yeah, apparently a ton isn't what it used to be.

Post a reply to: Moto is on the Decline?

The Latest