Moto is on the Decline?

5/28/2021 2:16pm Edited Date/Time 5/28/2021 2:19pm
you could make this sport cost more if you want to... you dont have to have a brand new bike, custom motovan, most expensive tools and...
you could make this sport cost more if you want to... you dont have to have a brand new bike, custom motovan, most expensive tools and tool box. you can buy a $2000 bike, haul it in an old truck, and not use the biggest and best tool box, and still enjoy this sport relatively cheaply.
You’re so Right. I’m this guy so what. Just enjoy
Life. Adder: a bike is better than no bike in my eyes.
TeamGreen
5/28/2021 6:00pm
RalphS wrote:
1. This thread aged like milk - see current bike sales 2. If you want an affordable sport - get a soccer ball. 3. Moto has...
1. This thread aged like milk - see current bike sales

2. If you want an affordable sport - get a soccer ball.

3. Moto has always been an expensive sport for the average person - traditional moto demographics have lost quite some purchasing power

4. There are more and more different entertainment and sport options at better prices (smartphone, video consoles, YouTube, etc) that are as if not more addictive.
1. Regarding your 'current bike sales' So, a pandemic/PPP fueled spurt in bike sales, means it's never going to end? and that also means the barriers...
1. Regarding your 'current bike sales'
So, a pandemic/PPP fueled spurt in bike sales, means it's never going to end? and that also means the barriers to entry that kept the sport from growth just went away magically in 2020?
The same issues still exist, because more bikes and gear was sold doesn't necessarily mean long term growth is a given.
I understand the “economic argument” and the implied artificial boost in sales/segment growth...
But...
Don’t ya think that the people that:
1. Got back out there
2. Just decided to try dirt bikes
3. Were taken out for a ride with some friends & went to the dealer the next day and bought a Factory Edition Laughing
Do ya think that’s representative of ‘new growth’ or that there’s potential for some of these folks to ‘carry on’ into the future?
5/30/2021 11:53am
840 entries today in the Fly Racing Showdown Series here at Lincoln Trail today. I think they said 240 of those entries are in the 50cc classes. Not too shabby.
Johnny Depp
5/30/2021 1:16pm
HUGE crowd at Pala. Attendance announced?

The Shop

cloud41
5/30/2021 6:46pm
Racing is on the decline.. open riding seems strong
TeamGreen
5/30/2021 7:00pm
cloud41 wrote:
Racing WAS on the decline; however, as of late...

Our Redding DIrt Riders/AMA Hare Scramble aka "The Shasta Dam GP" had waaay more entries than the previous race...that was a month ago.

One of the very 1st MX races I attended during the COVID madness was a Mammoth Qualifier at Pala back in Feb...
Plenty of entries.

Other posts...here on Vital...lately talk about lots of folks showin' up to race recently.
cloud41
5/31/2021 6:14am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2021 6:15am
cloud41 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Racing WAS on the decline; however, as of late... Our Redding DIrt Riders/AMA Hare Scramble aka "The Shasta Dam GP" had waaay more entries than the...
Racing WAS on the decline; however, as of late...

Our Redding DIrt Riders/AMA Hare Scramble aka "The Shasta Dam GP" had waaay more entries than the previous race...that was a month ago.

One of the very 1st MX races I attended during the COVID madness was a Mammoth Qualifier at Pala back in Feb...
Plenty of entries.

Other posts...here on Vital...lately talk about lots of folks showin' up to race recently.
I should have noted *motocross racing. I’ve heard off road is strong. Yet to try off road but it seems fun
jonesaustin
5/31/2021 7:40am
Adoption of NASCAR vibe has backfired imo. Nothing against car racing of course but I think the sport is more interesting when seen as an individual action sport like surfing, skateboarding, cycling, etc. From 05/06 on there seem to have been a push towards the “motorsports” vibe, and things got very homogenized. Perhaps not a popular view but MX/SX was cooler in the past when it beat to its own drum.
kage173
5/31/2021 7:53am
Adoption of NASCAR vibe has backfired imo. Nothing against car racing of course but I think the sport is more interesting when seen as an individual...
Adoption of NASCAR vibe has backfired imo. Nothing against car racing of course but I think the sport is more interesting when seen as an individual action sport like surfing, skateboarding, cycling, etc. From 05/06 on there seem to have been a push towards the “motorsports” vibe, and things got very homogenized. Perhaps not a popular view but MX/SX was cooler in the past when it beat to its own drum.
That's an interesting point. I don't know which one has more potential for success, but your right about that distinction in positioning the sport
5/31/2021 12:25pm
RalphS wrote:
1. This thread aged like milk - see current bike sales 2. If you want an affordable sport - get a soccer ball. 3. Moto has...
1. This thread aged like milk - see current bike sales

2. If you want an affordable sport - get a soccer ball.

3. Moto has always been an expensive sport for the average person - traditional moto demographics have lost quite some purchasing power

4. There are more and more different entertainment and sport options at better prices (smartphone, video consoles, YouTube, etc) that are as if not more addictive.
1. Regarding your 'current bike sales' So, a pandemic/PPP fueled spurt in bike sales, means it's never going to end? and that also means the barriers...
1. Regarding your 'current bike sales'
So, a pandemic/PPP fueled spurt in bike sales, means it's never going to end? and that also means the barriers to entry that kept the sport from growth just went away magically in 2020?
The same issues still exist, because more bikes and gear was sold doesn't necessarily mean long term growth is a given.
TeamGreen wrote:
I understand the “economic argument” and the implied artificial boost in sales/segment growth... But... Don’t ya think that the people that: 1. Got back out there...
I understand the “economic argument” and the implied artificial boost in sales/segment growth...
But...
Don’t ya think that the people that:
1. Got back out there
2. Just decided to try dirt bikes
3. Were taken out for a ride with some friends & went to the dealer the next day and bought a Factory Edition Laughing
Do ya think that’s representative of ‘new growth’ or that there’s potential for some of these folks to ‘carry on’ into the future?
TeamGreen-
1-yes
2-yes
3-yes

But one could argue for every rider that quit, or stopped, or whatever else, (and I mean moved on from the barriers to keep going, and the barriers that kept newbies from trying) did we get two fold increase in new riders?

Smart eyes are on units, certainly revenues-profits-etc are important to keep the lights on, but qty/sales/inventory levels will be the best indicator if this was an artifical bump or a legit sustained boost that the sport has needed.

I am in the bike business, same phenomenon has happened in bicycles and same curiosity on how the noobs came-how to keep them engaged and safe, etc etc...I guess regardless, it appears 'more' people are riding dirt bikes and that is a great thing.

Post a reply to: Moto is on the Decline?

The Latest