Moto is on the Decline?

Bry145
1/14/2019 9:06pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2019 9:09pm
ob wrote:
That's fucking retarded
Bry145 wrote:
You're right. Roe vs. Wade is awesome and has done a lot of good. We should expand the welfare state and raise taxes. We should pay...
You're right.

Roe vs. Wade is awesome and has done a lot of good. We should expand the welfare state and raise taxes. We should pay women to not marry and have kids. Remove all immigration laws. All are welcome. Remove labor laws regarding illegal aliens.

And all of this will make motocross flourish. How could it not?

I hope you don't vote! Wink

ob wrote:
You want to lower taxes on yourself but tax women for not getting married and not having babies? Typical right wing shit. That will for sure...
You want to lower taxes on yourself but tax women for not getting married and not having babies? Typical right wing shit. That will for sure grow moto.
If Feminism is about equality, then perhaps women should pay more in taxes to equal the total amount that men pay. That would be fair and equal. Also, women receive more public assistance than men. Maybe they should be taxed higher to compensate.

Every woman (on average) needs to have 2.1 children to maintain a society. Women have the children. No society in history has experienced economic growth with a decline in human capital. Something needs to be done or our society will be replaced or die out.

Lowering taxes on men via reducing the welfare state would allow more take-home pay and more money to spend on motocross. This would surely grow the sport.
early
Fantasy
2212th
1/14/2019 9:11pm
you guys dug up a 3 year old thread to piss and moan about politicking?
The votes say Anderson's pass was fine so had to move on to a new subject Grinning
ob
1/14/2019 9:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2019 9:16pm
Seems to me it has something to do with cost and less free time. People in the US have to work way more these days, don't have as much free time for something as time consuming as MX when you factor in drive times, washing and maintaining bikes et etc.
Then you have prices, although the bike is a one time cost every few years it's still lots higher than a few years ago, but way way higher than in the eighties or whatever. Then gas, $4 or more a gallon for super in the bike or $15 a gallon for race fuel. My oil is $18 a quart, tires are $130 a piece, filter oil is $13 etc etc. Not to mention gear, $600 boots that last me a season, same with my helmet. Pants that are $300 and barely last me 6 months. Practice is $30 and a race day is $100 or more because I only race the bigger events. I'm lucky and make way more than the average but sometimes I just say fuck it I'm riding my MTB instead, less stress.
Back in the day I had the money and the time to ride three days a week. That for me is alot harder to do nowadays. If you have a kid or two then almost double or triple all that. I don't think wages have kept up with inflation, actually it is well proven that they haven't, not even close. Not as many normal people can afford it. Much less average family's.
Just my take on it from my small part of the country. But never mind I got sucked into this old ass thread, I thought it looked familiar. I need to change my contacts maybe we can tax that?

The Shop

1/14/2019 9:24pm
Indy mxer wrote:
Be interesting to see opinions on that. As far as the classes go, I think we have it down to about 22 when we do a...
Be interesting to see opinions on that.
As far as the classes go, I think we have it down to about 22 when we do a race. That's about the minimum you can get to and still have it where every rider has an opportunity to ride a second class.

As I said, every rider wants less classes. Just don't cut theirs.

Bottom line, we just need more kids riding dirt bikes. lol
Bry145 wrote:
Take away Roe vs. Wade and reduce the size of the welfare state. Reduce taxes proportionate to the reduction in spending. This would provide more funds...
Take away Roe vs. Wade and reduce the size of the welfare state. Reduce taxes proportionate to the reduction in spending. This would provide more funds for recreation.

Implement a bachelerotte tax to provide an incentive for women to marry and reproduce.

Enforce immigration laws. Enforce labor laws regarding illegal aliens.

That will result in more kids and thus more kids on dirt bikes.

Good luck!

I have seen the bottom of the mx cesspool, blaming women for decline of MX industry? Holy hell. This sports fan base never ceases to amaze me.
ob
1/14/2019 9:28pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2019 9:29pm
Indy mxer wrote:
Be interesting to see opinions on that. As far as the classes go, I think we have it down to about 22 when we do a...
As far as the classes go, I think we have it down to about 22 when we do a race. That's about the minimum you can get to and still have it where every rider has an opportunity to ride a second class.

Bry145 wrote:
Take away Roe vs. Wade and reduce the size of the welfare state. Reduce taxes proportionate to the reduction in spending. This would provide more funds...
Take away Roe vs. Wade and reduce the size of the welfare state. Reduce taxes proportionate to the reduction in spending. This would provide more funds for recreation.

Implement a bachelerotte tax to provide an incentive for women to marry and reproduce.

Good luck!

I have seen the bottom of the mx cesspool, blaming women for decline of MX industry? Holy hell. This sports fan base never ceases to amaze...
I have seen the bottom of the mx cesspool, blaming women for decline of MX industry? Holy hell. This sports fan base never ceases to amaze me.
No kidding wow. Let's tax women more than men that will help moto!! I've heard it all now. It's almost as bad as the James and Mookie threads.
SoCalMX70
1/14/2019 10:55pm
Bry145 wrote:

Good luck!

JMX82
1/15/2019 12:26am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2019 1:17am
I think motocross decline is sum of many things.

1. Lack of places for beginners to ride. Back in the day you could practice riding in vacant areas without getting trouble but today people call cops as soon as they see dirt bike ridden n anywhere else than on a official riding area. When I was a kid we used to ride every day with my friends after school at local sand pits with out any parent guidance. Today you need your parents to take you on the motocross track located middle of nowhere and pay track fee to being able to ride ...

2. Digitalization. Many of today's kids are only interested in Iphones and Ipads... Loud and smelly dirt bikes aren't cool thing anymore among teens. Many parents seem to think that it's safer to let they kids live in virtual world rather than in the real world outside

3. Everything cost more. Bikes, gas, track fees, insurance etc. cots more than they did in the 90's. Especially high insurance prices here in Finland are really killing the sport

4.Tracks are becoming more and more demanding for beginners to ride. The jumps are almost twice as big than they where back in 90's and Supercross style risk and reward obstacles are common in almost every outdoor track. This has been increasing injury rate caused insurance fees to go up

5. Four stroke bikes. Say what you want but nobody can denied the fact that introducing four strokes to motocross did hurt the sport. Four stroke sound carries lot further has lead closing a lot of riding areas. Bikes cost more to buy and are more expensive and difficult to rebuild. When I was 15 years old I could already rebuild my KX125 engine by myself in my own garage but even today I haven't got the skills and tools to rebuild modern four stroke race engine myself. When I read the bike builds section here in Vital there aren't many guys here in Vital either who can do full rebuild on a four stroke engine by themselves. This has lead to huge problem in used four stroke bike market. Just in couple of years four stroke bike will lose half of its value due to expensive maintenance and nobody want's to buy one. In the other hand older two stroke prices have been going up

6. Today's demanding work environment. You are expected to be committed your work almost 24/7 do long work days. If do don't agree to that there is always next one who will. That doesn't leave much free time to be spent with dirt bikes. Salaries haven't increased much in last decade but the cost of living has increased so there is less money to spent on dirt biking

7. Elitism inside the sport. If you don't have the latest bike, gear and new Sprinter van in the pits you are nobody

Nuffsaid
1/15/2019 11:59am
I’m available to help the birth rate go up Cool
zippytech
1/15/2019 12:32pm
Kids lack of interest is the main thing I see. My son is 12 and he has a handful of friends.. Only one can ride a bicycle. It's really sad.

Most of the guys I use to ride with either did not have kids and the ones that did (me included) the kids just don't really care to do it.
milliebays
1/15/2019 12:43pm
Indy mxer wrote:

Bry145 wrote:

Good luck!

I have seen the bottom of the mx cesspool, blaming women for decline of MX industry? Holy hell. This sports fan base never ceases to amaze...
No family no kids no enthusiasts. Clutch more pearls plz

Bry145
1/15/2019 1:14pm
Bry145 wrote:

Good luck!

milliebays wrote:
No family no kids no enthusiasts. Clutch more pearls plz [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/15/318239/s1200_80a.jpg[/img]
No family no kids no enthusiasts. Clutch more pearls plz

Do you mean there is some correlation between families and family sports like motocross?

Who would have thunk it?

Just imagine how many little mxers we will have in the future if nothing changes. And combine this with all the Boomers, Gen Xers, and Gen. Yers that will leave the sport due to age or cost.

The times, they are a changin'.

Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/15/2019 3:05pm
The millennials are supposed to be the smart ones, i sure hope they hurry up and make some changes, more and more i dislike the world we live in, i Can usually take just about any subject and find a way to put a positive spin on it though so hopefully its just a Matter of the right people being in charge, if that ever happens.
Imo the last 50 yrs maybe more, have been shaped by greed.
Can it change sure, will it? i hope so, when, no clue?
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/15/2019 3:14pm
Nuffsaid wrote:
I’m a OHV motorcycle patrol ranger in California. The increase in casual single track riders I see is very evident. The increase is mainly younger 18-25yr...
I’m a OHV motorcycle patrol ranger in California. The increase in casual single track riders I see is very evident. The increase is mainly younger 18-25yr riders with mx roots who combine camping activities with a couple of riding loops during the day. The girlfriends and/or wifes and kiddies are there and everyone has a nice family time without major injuries or bike budgets. A fast growing segment of motorsports within a family budget.
It seems like participation in off road is way up in most places, wich is good but i personally just don't find single track type riding appealing.

Imo riding a track and Motocross is awsome. but riding or watching at a local level with 10 or less on the gate is not the same either.
I would rather get 15th place out of 40 than 2nd out of 5
Kid Spam
1/15/2019 4:27pm
Kids/millenials wouldn't know if Spartacus was battling Thor, no cover charge, two blocks from their house. And if they did...they would skip it.
Moto will decline with stick and ball sports, family dinner and sex with humans.
DB505
1/15/2019 5:12pm
I think a lot of people are drifting over to off road type races like GNCC or WORCS,
You get so much more ride time, & you don’t have to wait 2 to 3 hrs to go ride 1 Moto of aprox 10 min then wait another couple hrs
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/15/2019 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2019 5:26pm
DB505 wrote:
I think a lot of people are drifting over to off road type races like GNCC or WORCS, You get so much more ride time, &...
I think a lot of people are drifting over to off road type races like GNCC or WORCS,
You get so much more ride time, & you don’t have to wait 2 to 3 hrs to go ride 1 Moto of aprox 10 min then wait another couple hrs
I get it but Riding a Track is just a lot more fun to me.
I think a Good solution would be more langtown type tracks
Small could be built on a couple acres, Rather than a neighborhood, i was always surprised that didnt catch on
On a larger scale,
the bikes were custom but if the demand was there im sure factories could easily build a 150 air cooled 4 stroke in 85cc type frames with more and Better suspension than the trail bikes, basically 150cc air cooled
Race bikes, which seems perfect because they are Torquey
Not too to loud and seem very low maintenance and Reliable,
Looks super fun and not to dangerous.
Bry145
1/16/2019 7:57am
ob wrote:
No kidding wow. Let's tax women more than men that will help moto!! I've heard it all now. It's almost as bad as the James and...
No kidding wow. Let's tax women more than men that will help moto!! I've heard it all now. It's almost as bad as the James and Mookie threads.
Do you understand cause and effect?

Motocross is extremely dependent on economics and demographics.

The decisions women have made have severely impacted economics and demographics.

Women going to college and entering the job market flooded the job market and lowered wages for everyone. Lower wages hurt an expensive sport like motocross that has gotten more expensive with four-strokes and such.

Women deciding to delay marriage, having less kids via birth control and abortion, waiting too long to naturally have any kids, and utilizing the welfare state as an alternative to marriage has affected demographics. Motocross needs a significant supply of young people (specifically males) from intact families to get into the sport and continue to participate into teenage years and adulthood. If these males are never born in the first place or raised by single mothers, there will be less supply of new moto recruits. If there are not enough workers to support the welfare state, taxes will need to be raised, hurting recreational spending.

Women embrace hypergamy, which lowers marriage and birth rates. This can lead to a demographic death spiral. Gen. Y may end up being generation spinster. How many spinsters are taking little Johnny to go buy a PW50? Zero.

Women are the majority of voters, and the voters have not done nearly enough to elect politicians willing to enforce immigration policies as well as immigration labor policies. All voters are to blame, but women tend to vote Democrat who has worse policies regarding immigration. Clinton and NAFTA is a perfect example. Immigration floods labor markets and depresses wages. If one works in a market with depressed wages they will likely not be able to afford to particiapte in motocross.

If one understands cause and effect, they have to agree that the decisions women have made have affected motocross and society. And we will be seeing the effects of these decisions in the near future. And dare I say they will not be good.

If marriage and birth rates continue to plunge where will the next generation of motocrossers come from? Will we be able to replace all the former motocrossers who have left and will leave the sport? Are we looking at a 50% reduction in the sport in the next 20 years? How will the industry and sport survive?

1/16/2019 8:12am
Decline? Probably so...$9.5k 450's, $8k 250's, the average middle guy can't keep his kids in bikes, and the average 20 something can't buy his own...stifles the incoming riders that never get a start because there are really no good entry level bikes except old 2-strokes or overpriced new ones.

I am sure to be flamed, but...
akillerwombat
1/16/2019 8:20am
Bry145 wrote:
Do you understand cause and effect? Motocross is extremely dependent on economics and demographics. The decisions women have made have severely impacted economics and demographics. Women...

The decisions women have made have severely impacted economics and demographics.

Women going to college and entering the job market flooded the job market and lowered wages for everyone. Lower wages hurt an expensive sport like motocross that has gotten more expensive with four-strokes and such.

Women deciding to delay marriage, having less kids via birth control and abortion, waiting too long to naturally have any kids, and utilizing the welfare state as an alternative to marriage has affected demographics. Motocross needs a significant supply of young people (specifically males) from intact families to get into the sport and continue to participate into teenage years and adulthood. If these males are never born in the first place or raised by single mothers, there will be less supply of new moto recruits. If there are not enough workers to support the welfare state, taxes will need to be raised, hurting recreational spending.

Women embrace hypergamy, which lowers marriage and birth rates. This can lead to a demographic death spiral. Gen. Y may end up being generation spinster. How many spinsters are taking little Johnny to go buy a PW50? Zero.

Women are the majority of voters, and the voters have not done nearly enough to elect politicians willing to enforce immigration policies as well as immigration labor policies. All voters are to blame, but women tend to vote Democrat who has worse policies regarding immigration. Clinton and NAFTA is a perfect example. Immigration floods labor markets and depresses wages. If one works in a market with depressed wages they will likely not be able to afford to particiapte in motocross.

If one understands cause and effect, they have to agree that the decisions women have made have affected motocross and society. And we will be seeing the effects of these decisions in the near future. And dare I say they will not be good.

If marriage and birth rates continue to plunge where will the next generation of motocrossers come from? Will we be able to replace all the former motocrossers who have left and will leave the sport? Are we looking at a 50% reduction in the sport in the next 20 years? How will the industry and sport survive?

Maybe women don’t want their kids participating in a sport in which the men, who run the sport and make up almost the entire demographic of it, blame the women because they couldn’t grow their own sport?

There are 330 million people in the United States and over 7 billion worldwide. If we can’t grow the sport we have no one other than ourselves to blame. Man up and accept responsibility for your own short coming; women making an income isn’t why your dumbass couldn’t figure out how to make dirtbiking more popular.
gt80rider
1/16/2019 8:30am
thephoenix wrote:
Decline? Probably so...$9.5k 450's, $8k 250's, the average middle guy can't keep his kids in bikes, and the average 20 something can't buy his own...stifles the...
Decline? Probably so...$9.5k 450's, $8k 250's, the average middle guy can't keep his kids in bikes, and the average 20 something can't buy his own...stifles the incoming riders that never get a start because there are really no good entry level bikes except old 2-strokes or overpriced new ones.

I am sure to be flamed, but...

The moto industry has been doing a decent enough job of hiding just how bad things are dollar wise, thus the reason why you aren't sure about a decline.

However... it is. People aren't jumping off roofs.... yet. If the next 24 months stay the same or improve, MX/SX will make it another decade. But if the numbers keep doing what they are..............................................
BRAAAAAAP
1/16/2019 8:38am
Is there any Data that actually shows a decline in motocross riders? Or is this all based on personal experience

In The Netherlands the sport seems popular. But with a 4 time world champ thats no surprise
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/16/2019 9:37am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 9:39am
BRAAAAAAP wrote:
Is there any Data that actually shows a decline in motocross riders? Or is this all based on personal experience In The Netherlands the sport seems...
Is there any Data that actually shows a decline in motocross riders? Or is this all based on personal experience

In The Netherlands the sport seems popular. But with a 4 time world champ thats no surprise
In America its very obvious even without data. For Motocross anyway.
Entrys are way down , there do seem to be some areas where it is still good though, i always here new Jersey
E-town, some parts of new york and some parts of Illinois
Still get big turn outs, and so cal i think is at least at some tracks, but most states its way down.
I think all the reasons are pretty well covered in this thread,
#1 Being money imo
But its not the only reason
I dont think its lack of kids being born though lol.
Bry145
1/16/2019 9:48am
Bry145 wrote:
Do you understand cause and effect? Motocross is extremely dependent on economics and demographics. The decisions women have made have severely impacted economics and demographics. Women...

Maybe women don’t want their kids participating in a sport in which the men, who run the sport and make up almost the entire demographic of...
Maybe women don’t want their kids participating in a sport in which the men, who run the sport and make up almost the entire demographic of it, blame the women because they couldn’t grow their own sport?

There are 330 million people in the United States and over 7 billion worldwide. If we can’t grow the sport we have no one other than ourselves to blame. Man up and accept responsibility for your own short coming; women making an income isn’t why your dumbass couldn’t figure out how to make dirtbiking more popular.
Say what you want, but what is written in my post has affected the sport.

Just because there are a lot of people in the USA and the world does not ensure that the sport will grow. The sport is dependent upon the target demographic and their economic ability to participate.

If the target demograpic is affected by depressed wages, flooded labor markets, divorce (70% initiated by women), lack of births (for a variety of reasons), as well as a sport that increased in price, mathamatically less will participate. And thus the death spiral.

The blame of four-strokes and kids playing on devices is only part of the problem.

1/16/2019 10:34am
Doesn't seem down in Southern Indiana/ Kentucky. My sons last race it had a full gate. That was for the PW shaft class... Most of the KTM, Cobra classes were full gates also. Having that many 50's bodes well for the upper classes moving forward.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/16/2019 10:38am
Doesn't seem down in Southern Indiana/ Kentucky. My sons last race it had a full gate. That was for the PW shaft class... Most of the...
Doesn't seem down in Southern Indiana/ Kentucky. My sons last race it had a full gate. That was for the PW shaft class... Most of the KTM, Cobra classes were full gates also. Having that many 50's bodes well for the upper classes moving forward.
Yeah it seems like there are pockets here and there that are doing really well, my guess is that the people in those area's do a really good job running things and keeping people involved. thats where it becomes a head scratcher is that its not only money, as proven by expensive side × sides and expensive mountain bikes etc.
Thats where the subject gets interesting, and makes me think there are still things that could be done to increase participation.
dlhamblin
1/16/2019 10:39am
I admit I didn't read all 11 pages of replies; but I would tend to agree its declining, as are street bike riders. I have seen people bash the industry as to its their fault, but I truly think the younger generation(s) (I am 59) don't have the interest in the real thing.

I've watched my sons (who both like bikes and cars....) playing XBox and Playstation on some of the car games, and I swear the players think its all real, arguing about whose car is better, who the better driver is etc.

I just don't see the interest in younger people these days.

JMHO

Dave
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/16/2019 10:49am
dlhamblin wrote:
I admit I didn't read all 11 pages of replies; but I would tend to agree its declining, as are street bike riders. I have seen...
I admit I didn't read all 11 pages of replies; but I would tend to agree its declining, as are street bike riders. I have seen people bash the industry as to its their fault, but I truly think the younger generation(s) (I am 59) don't have the interest in the real thing.

I've watched my sons (who both like bikes and cars....) playing XBox and Playstation on some of the car games, and I swear the players think its all real, arguing about whose car is better, who the better driver is etc.

I just don't see the interest in younger people these days.

JMHO

Dave
Ive been arguing against that being the case, at least imo
I know the kids like video games, ipads etc but i think they would still ride at least 50% of boys 12 and under imo
I feel they arent being given the opportunity, due to other reasons cost, lack of riding area's etc. And then sort of a snowball effect of less doing thsn less others seeing or hearing about it etc.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/16/2019 11:05am
Now that i think about it i wonder if the people buying new side x sides and expensive mountain bikes, are the same people that already have expensive Newer dirtbikes,
The haves have nots thing, one side has all those things and the lower have none of those things.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/16/2019 11:06am
Tarz483 wrote:
Now that i think about it i wonder if the people buying new side x sides and expensive mountain bikes, are the same people that already...
Now that i think about it i wonder if the people buying new side x sides and expensive mountain bikes, are the same people that already have expensive Newer dirtbikes,
The haves have nots thing, one side has all those things and the lower have none of those things.
As opposed to they are Buying those instead of buying dirt bikes

Post a reply to: Moto is on the Decline?

The Latest