Moto investing strategy

Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
Just a guess but now that Alta is done, wouldn't you think that they will eventually go up in value ?
It seems like it could be awhile before another Electric bike of that quality comes into play.
If someone went and bought 10 of them and kept them on like new condition for 10 years what would they be worth?
I know nobody knows the answer to that so it would be just a guess.

Note i cant afford 1 let alone 10 personally.

|
kb228
1/22/2019 9:18am
Considering you cant get parts i doubt theyll be worth anything.

Also, electronics dont go up in value. Once the main companies make better ebikes, nobody will want altas.
mauidex
1/22/2019 9:21am
just like autos, once the main players get involved gonna be like any other "off brand"
psg119
1/22/2019 9:22am
Wasn't KTM messing around with E bikes?
KHI Guy
1/22/2019 9:27am
Yeah, just like the Cannondale bikes LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

The Shop

STLSharky
1/22/2019 9:31am
Tarz483 wrote:
Just a guess but now that Alta is done, wouldn't you think that they will eventually go up in value ? It seems like it could...
Just a guess but now that Alta is done, wouldn't you think that they will eventually go up in value ?
It seems like it could be awhile before another Electric bike of that quality comes into play.
If someone went and bought 10 of them and kept them on like new condition for 10 years what would they be worth?

worth nothing except a history piece
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
1/22/2019 9:35am
kb228 wrote:
Considering you cant get parts i doubt theyll be worth anything. Also, electronics dont go up in value. Once the main companies make better ebikes, nobody...
Considering you cant get parts i doubt theyll be worth anything.

Also, electronics dont go up in value. Once the main companies make better ebikes, nobody will want altas.
exactly look at TV's the only thing that goes down in the world
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
1/22/2019 9:39am
One of the main cost factors of an Alta is the battery. And you shouldn't have a battery laying around for 10 years
1/22/2019 10:19am
Yes, that's a really good investment strategy tardz. Who needs a 401k when you could stockpile a diversified portfolio of old floppy drives, mini disk players, and fax machines.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/22/2019 10:26am
Yes, that's a really good investment strategy tardz. Who needs a 401k when you could stockpile a diversified portfolio of old floppy drives, mini disk players...
Yes, that's a really good investment strategy tardz. Who needs a 401k when you could stockpile a diversified portfolio of old floppy drives, mini disk players, and fax machines.
Hypothetically if someone put the same abount of money into the stock market and it crashes at least you would have 10 bad ass dirt bikes lol,
It was Just a though but usually when something is in limited supply it goes up in value.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/22/2019 10:30am
crusty_xx wrote:
One of the main cost factors of an Alta is the battery. And you shouldn't have a battery laying around for 10 years
That is a good point
lapper
1/22/2019 10:48am Edited Date/Time 1/22/2019 11:01am
I've been watching the collectible bike market for a while and have some theories to predict where the future market is will be. Unfortunately they're about as accurate as predicting the stock market. However, you might not be wrong on the Alta. I'm just not willing to base my retirement planning on it. The out dated technology and parts availability others mentioned aren't really a factor. People don't buy vintage collectible bikes to ride them. They buy them based on a emotional response to seeing a bike they've always wanted, but couldn't have.

Someone mentioned Cannondale. People were lusting over them during the pre-release magazine hype. That all ended shortly after they hit the market. Very few people look at a Cannondale today and say "I've always wanted one of those". If you are one of those few people, let me know. I've got a friend with 3 still in the crate and 2 assembled O-miles Cannondales that will make you a good deal.

An example of the opposite end is Pentons. In the late 70's, anyone who rode a dirt bike wanted a Penton. At 3x the price of the Japanese competition, few could afford them. 40 years later, the emotional desire to own one is still there. Some of those people now have the income to do so. Penton's technology is outdated compared to current standards and parts are not readily available, but they're buying a 40 year old dream.

So will the Alta be a Cannondale or a Penton? People still want them, but few could afford one. Now you can't buy one if you hit the Lottery. That memory and desire will be there years. I'm leaning towards a Penton. Plus, early examples of revolutionary technology that eventually proves to be successful are highly collectible. If e-bikes are the future, stashing a few pristine Altas away might be a good investment...Assuming you're willing to wait 40 years to cash in.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/22/2019 10:49am
Tarz483 wrote:
Just a guess but now that Alta is done, wouldn't you think that they will eventually go up in value ? It seems like it could...

My personal take?

How many laptops do you know of that have gone up in value? The technology (software and batteries) on ebikes advances all the time. Who knows what they'll be like in 10+ years?
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
1/22/2019 11:46am
KHI Guy wrote:
Yeah, just like the Cannondale bikes LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
That's what I was thinking. But the difference is that just about everybody who rode an Alta talks about how fun they were to ride. I don't think anybody had fun on a Cannondale.
lapper
1/22/2019 12:09pm
"How many laptops do you know of that have gone up in value?"

According to a recent PC World article...

Apple 1sold for $666 in 1976, Current value $15K to $25K
Apple 2 sold for $1,298 in 1977, Current value $15 to $250 (missing K not a typo)

You just never know in the collector market, but Alta is the first example of an emerging technology that has mass appeal. Still not ready to add a garage full of Altas to my retirement investment portfolio.
kb228
1/22/2019 12:17pm
lapper wrote:
"How many laptops do you know of that have gone up in value?" According to a recent PC World article... Apple 1sold for $666 in 1976...
"How many laptops do you know of that have gone up in value?"

According to a recent PC World article...

Apple 1sold for $666 in 1976, Current value $15K to $25K
Apple 2 sold for $1,298 in 1977, Current value $15 to $250 (missing K not a typo)

You just never know in the collector market, but Alta is the first example of an emerging technology that has mass appeal. Still not ready to add a garage full of Altas to my retirement investment portfolio.
Where your examples fallthrough is, is that those are apple products. Apple has a culture along with it. 1st gen ipods are going for huge money unboxed. Same with gaming consoles. BUT, they all have cultures with them. Alta doesnt.
mwr
1/22/2019 12:27pm
Jeff Ward's 1985 works SR250 that he won the Supercross title on sold at auction a year or so ago for ~$50K. As much as I like Altas, I'd rather have the SR250 than five, or even ten MXRs.

As a wealthy collector friend of mine once said, "a collector only buys the best, everyone else is just an accumulator."
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/22/2019 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2019 1:21pm
mwr wrote:
Jeff Ward's 1985 works SR250 that he won the Supercross title on sold at auction a year or so ago for ~$50K. As much as I...
Jeff Ward's 1985 works SR250 that he won the Supercross title on sold at auction a year or so ago for ~$50K. As much as I like Altas, I'd rather have the SR250 than five, or even ten MXRs.

As a wealthy collector friend of mine once said, "a collector only buys the best, everyone else is just an accumulator."
As of now it is the best .
Technology will definitely get better no doubt but it could be a while before we see another electric dirt bike thats as good or better imo
early
Fantasy
2212th
1/22/2019 1:22pm
mwr wrote:
Jeff Ward's 1985 works SR250 that he won the Supercross title on sold at auction a year or so ago for ~$50K. As much as I...

From what I've seen most bikes, even sought after ones are lucky to bring their new purchase price + inflation. How much did that SR250 cost to build in 1985?
FuzzyLogic
1/22/2019 2:00pm
Tarz, come on buddy. You comment quit a bit and seem like a smart guy with logical and unique ideas. This is not one of them. E bike technology will only get smaller, more efficient, more affordable, and all around better as we go forward. If you can buy them for under $1000 each.. you may have a case. Other than that, stay away.. at least for investing purposes.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/22/2019 2:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2019 2:09pm
FuzzyLogic wrote:
Tarz, come on buddy. You comment quit a bit and seem like a smart guy with logical and unique ideas. This is not one of them...
Tarz, come on buddy. You comment quit a bit and seem like a smart guy with logical and unique ideas. This is not one of them. E bike technology will only get smaller, more efficient, more affordable, and all around better as we go forward. If you can buy them for under $1000 each.. you may have a case. Other than that, stay away.. at least for investing purposes.
Lol i was just throwing it out there, its not a real plan
Consider it thinking out loud, and i though it would make for a interesting
conversation, thanks though im smart in some area's and lacking in others, and even i wouldn't take my financial advice im broke i couldnt afford 1 alta , so im clearly doing something wrong.
barnett468
1/22/2019 2:21pm
Tarz483 wrote:

"Just a guess but now that Alta is done, wouldn't you think that they will eventually go up in value ?"

Absolutely!

"If someone went and bought 10 of them and kept them on like new condition for 10 years what would they be worth?"

At least three fiddy each guaranteed!

HusqFan3
1/22/2019 3:07pm
Tarz483 wrote:

GuyB wrote:
My personal take? How many laptops do you know of that have gone up in value? The technology (software and batteries) on ebikes advances all the...
My personal take?

How many laptops do you know of that have gone up in value? The technology (software and batteries) on ebikes advances all the time. Who knows what they'll be like in 10+ years?
Understand your point but probably not the best anaology. If you have just any old laptop lying around it’s proabably worth about as much as a paper weight. If you, however, had the original Apple I in mint condition, you might want to hang on to it since one recently fetched 6 figures at auction.

Not saying the same will hold true for the first Alta since like all things value is a function of supply and demand. So those saying they’ll be worth nothing since the technology will get better and better will be right until they’re wrong. By that i mean the price will likely depreciate until a market develops for them and they’re scarce. Safe to say by that point they won’t be buying them for their technological prowess but rather as a collectors/historical piece.

So if you’re investing, hope you’re not looking for a big return for the next 25-50 years: )
Fog 25
Fantasy
1312th
1/22/2019 9:32pm
You can purchase my Alta MXR for the pre-collectible, discounted price of $20,000.
JustMX
1/23/2019 5:08am
And I would like to think that maybe after taking a deep breath Alta will go back into production and
become an iconic brand and a permanent and important part of the history of our sport, as well as motorcycling in general, in a long lasting and positive way.

Post a reply to: Moto investing strategy

The Latest