Moto can't get on ESPN, but you know what can?

TriRacer27
8/24/2022 10:48am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2022 5:38am
This is actually pretty damn cool, but yea, apparently there's more of an audience on ESPN for watching other people laying pipe, I mean, running wires than for motocross.

|
8/24/2022 10:53am
Probably easier for them to run a once-a-year 45-minute novelty program than 12 weeks of 4-hour blocks each Saturday afternoon through the summer.
Press516
8/24/2022 10:57am
Moto's problem is the 4 hour window... I don't see that changing. But it's a surprise that none of the streaming services have found it desirable and/or have made it work "well".
yak651
8/24/2022 11:00am
Football, golf, baseball all run a minimum of 3 hours and many times closer to 3.5. Add in the pre and post game stuff and you have over 4 hours. Not sure why the time is such a stickler for people

The Shop

8/24/2022 11:05am
yak651 wrote:
Football, golf, baseball all run a minimum of 3 hours and many times closer to 3.5. Add in the pre and post game stuff and you...
Football, golf, baseball all run a minimum of 3 hours and many times closer to 3.5. Add in the pre and post game stuff and you have over 4 hours. Not sure why the time is such a stickler for people
Football, golf and baseball can get away with that because those sports appeal to a much, much wider audience than MX.
LungButter
8/24/2022 11:08am
yak651 wrote:
Football, golf, baseball all run a minimum of 3 hours and many times closer to 3.5. Add in the pre and post game stuff and you...
Those games also have millions of fans. MX and SX....well, there's probably what 50k of us?
yak651
8/24/2022 11:21am
yak651 wrote:
LungButter wrote:
Those games also have millions of fans. MX and SX....well, there's probably what 50k of us?
There’s either a time block or there isn’t…I don’t even have ESPN on my guide anymore but the last time I looked there was over 4 hours of filler shows that pretty sure no one except the director of those shows would miss.
Rupert X
8/24/2022 11:26am
I tuned in to ESPN 7 the other night and it was just two guys playing catch….
8/24/2022 11:39am
yak651 wrote:
LungButter wrote:
yak651 wrote:
There’s either a time block or there isn’t…I don’t even have ESPN on my guide anymore but the last time I looked there was over 4...
There’s either a time block or there isn’t…I don’t even have ESPN on my guide anymore but the last time I looked there was over 4 hours of filler shows that pretty sure no one except the director of those shows would miss.
“There’s either a time block or there isn’t”

What does this even mean? Dude, more eyes means more ad revenue. Millions watching golf for four hours is worth more than tens of thousands watching moto for four hours.
DUCati227
8/24/2022 11:46am
I wish MX would consider doing something like MotoAmerica (the AMA Superbike Series) and run their own streaming service. MotoAmerica has great coverage and is gaining an international following because of this streaming service.
SEE ARE125
8/24/2022 11:50am
I literally saw marble racing the other night on ESPN.
Who won?? I couldn’t make it home in time to catch it. Please tell me it was blue because blue has overcame a lot of adversity this season.
Falcon
8/24/2022 11:57am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Who won?? I couldn’t make it home in time to catch it. Please tell me it was blue because blue has overcame a lot of adversity...
Who won?? I couldn’t make it home in time to catch it. Please tell me it was blue because blue has overcame a lot of adversity this season.
Those first few races were brutal, weren't they? Cateye just effing took blue out and sent him way to the back that one time.
Press516
8/24/2022 12:52pm
yak651 wrote:
Advertisers... You need people paying the bills. A 30 second ad during an NFL game costs a half MILLION dollars...

During moto? I doubt they can get $50,000.... And now you need to fill 4 hours worth of people paying that $$$.
Press516
8/24/2022 12:55pm
DUCati227 wrote:
I wish MX would consider doing something like MotoAmerica (the AMA Superbike Series) and run their own streaming service. MotoAmerica has great coverage and is gaining...
I wish MX would consider doing something like MotoAmerica (the AMA Superbike Series) and run their own streaming service. MotoAmerica has great coverage and is gaining an international following because of this streaming service.
GP's do it pretty well also. Plus you get all of the other weekend content too... For us it would be combines, pro/ams, 125 all star races and all practice and qualifying... If they did it right, we would all most likely buy it. But they haven't figured it out yet.
Richy
8/24/2022 1:05pm
Money aside, I'm curious how viewing numbers stack up between MXGP and AMA nationals?

I've watched wayyy more US Motocross than MXGP and most people I talk to over here are the same, though I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions.
SEE ARE125
8/24/2022 1:13pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Who won?? I couldn’t make it home in time to catch it. Please tell me it was blue because blue has overcame a lot of adversity...
Falcon wrote:
Those first few races were brutal, weren't they? Cateye just effing took blue out and sent him way to the back that one time.
Cateye races like a lunatic. No way in hell it’s a perfect sphere, cateye is all over the place.
crf250pilot
8/24/2022 1:54pm
I thought I was going to see a hot dog eating championship
Racerman967
8/24/2022 1:56pm
You can "buy time" on ESPN which the NHRA did for years. You will not get live coverage guaranteed and could be shown delayed at 10pm ET. But it is possible

Pit Row

tuttle425
8/24/2022 5:45pm
You can "buy time" on ESPN which the NHRA did for years. You will not get live coverage guaranteed and could be shown delayed at 10pm...
You can "buy time" on ESPN which the NHRA did for years. You will not get live coverage guaranteed and could be shown delayed at 10pm ET. But it is possible
Why buy time when NBC is going to pay millions to MX Sports and Feld?
tuttle425
8/24/2022 5:48pm
Check out Jelle’s Marble Runs on YouTube. He’s got a lot of videos with 1 million+ views. And this is his second channel. His first channel got hacked a couple years back and had over 5 million subscribers.
dingo
8/24/2022 5:54pm
DUCati227 wrote:
I wish MX would consider doing something like MotoAmerica (the AMA Superbike Series) and run their own streaming service. MotoAmerica has great coverage and is gaining...
I don’t understand it. I WANT TO SPEND MY MONEY ON STREAMING MX!! But it needs to be easy and valuable. Notice I didn’t even mention cheap. I’m glad I didn’t get roped into the shit storm this year. I’m getting by just watching YouTube replays that are uploaded right after the race.

Why can’t they do something simple. 1 annual subscription and 3 options:
$ - every moto and SX live
$$ - above + all practices
$$$ - above + bonus content, Loretta’s, mxon, etc
lostboy819
8/24/2022 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2022 6:17pm
Press516 wrote:
Moto's problem is the 4 hour window... I don't see that changing. But it's a surprise that none of the streaming services have found it desirable...
Moto's problem is the 4 hour window... I don't see that changing. But it's a surprise that none of the streaming services have found it desirable and/or have made it work "well".
I am not sure the problem is the streaming services or the Networks like ESPN. I think the problem is MXsports. With the amount of goofy "sports" they show on TV not sure why they cant get the nationals on TV. I watched king of the baggers road racing, these are big street cruisers like Harley and Indians road racing!!they are slower than the old 883 HDs no way in hell that has more people following it than the MX nationals

MXsports has the race set up and schedule and everything for the track and race day down to a art it runs so smooth now they just need someone full time to work on TV and streaming packages to get that up to the same level as the actual race.
levimx22
8/24/2022 6:09pm
i once saw a mullet competition on espn. a cow shit tossing competition came on right after. i was dumbfounded.
JM485
8/24/2022 6:32pm
Funny story about that, me and a few of my cousins came across that one day then we were on vacation and we had a hell of a time watching it. We all picked a team and got so intense about it we were literally yelling at the damn marbles on TV like it was a moto race Laughing . Good times indeed haha.
tuttle425
8/24/2022 7:53pm
DUCati227 wrote:
dingo wrote:
I don’t understand it. I WANT TO SPEND MY MONEY ON STREAMING MX!! But it needs to be easy and valuable. Notice I didn’t even mention...
I don’t understand it. I WANT TO SPEND MY MONEY ON STREAMING MX!! But it needs to be easy and valuable. Notice I didn’t even mention cheap. I’m glad I didn’t get roped into the shit storm this year. I’m getting by just watching YouTube replays that are uploaded right after the race.

Why can’t they do something simple. 1 annual subscription and 3 options:
$ - every moto and SX live
$$ - above + all practices
$$$ - above + bonus content, Loretta’s, mxon, etc
You all realize that starting next year it’s all going to be a Peacock? SX, MX, playoff thing. 7/8 bucks a month.

We had the terrible mx deal this year because MX Sports couldn’t sell the media right for more than a year due to the new combined deal coming next year.
tuttle425
8/24/2022 7:55pm
Press516 wrote:
Moto's problem is the 4 hour window... I don't see that changing. But it's a surprise that none of the streaming services have found it desirable...
lostboy819 wrote:
I am not sure the problem is the streaming services or the Networks like ESPN. I think the problem is MXsports. With the amount of goofy...
I am not sure the problem is the streaming services or the Networks like ESPN. I think the problem is MXsports. With the amount of goofy "sports" they show on TV not sure why they cant get the nationals on TV. I watched king of the baggers road racing, these are big street cruisers like Harley and Indians road racing!!they are slower than the old 883 HDs no way in hell that has more people following it than the MX nationals

MXsports has the race set up and schedule and everything for the track and race day down to a art it runs so smooth now they just need someone full time to work on TV and streaming packages to get that up to the same level as the actual race.
The goofy sports are all filler content. Trust me, they aren’t going to air 4 hours of mullet competitions on ESPN between 1pm and 8pm on saturdays all summer long.
ATKpilot99
8/24/2022 8:12pm
They should televise the running of the bulls . Shaheen and Emig could do the commentary .
pursang833
8/26/2022 6:22pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
This is actually pretty damn cool, but yea, apparently there's more of an audience on ESPN for watching other people laying pipe, I mean, running wires...
This is actually pretty damn cool, but yea, apparently there's more of an audience on ESPN for watching other people laying pipe, I mean, running wires than for motocross.

Motocross should look to the World of Outlaws for a good streaming program. Every race for both Sprint Cars and Late Models is on Dirtvision along with recaps on Youtube. USAC and the All Stars Sprints are on Flo so between the two you get 100 races or so that are professionally presented and to date I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever.

ESPN has really gone downhill over the last few years so not sure why the AMA Motocross promoters would want to pursue getting their races on that channel. Just a first time posters opinion.
Titan1
8/26/2022 7:20pm
The live Moto broadcast needs to be an hour…450’s only, and just show highlights of moto 1, some backstory filler content and the full 450 motor 2 commercial free….it doesn’t have the appeal to take up four hours.

The 250’s and 450 moto one can play on delay…just focus on the premier class…

I’ve loved this sport for most of my life and I get board during the broadcasts, fast forward the 250’s, and still fall asleep half the time.

Post a reply to: Moto can't get on ESPN, but you know what can?

The Latest

The Latest